Dave Chappelle Netflix Specials

Which Special Did You Like The Most?

• The Age of Spin

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • Deep in the Heart of Texas

Votes: 8 32.0%

• Total voters
That said, I do think Dave's trying to practice a bit of revisionist history here. For someone who has no problem with trans people, he's spent a LOT of time in his Netflix specials making fun of trans people. You can say that his "yuck" comment about Caitlyn Jenner was more about her than about trans women generally, but you can't make the same distinction for a joke in this special that you personally seemed to find hilarious, in which Dave compares trans women's bodies to Beyond Meat. This is not a joke about White trans people.
Well that's one of the jokes you'd chalk up to just being crude.

The joke is pretty straight forward; a surgically created vagina is not the same as real vagina. Same way beyond or impossible meat aint real meat.

If Dave wants to make the point that straight, cisgender White men are so committed to racism that they'd side with a trans woman over a Black man, perhaps he ought to spare a thought to how it would feel to see him, as a Black man, siding with J.K. Rowling over Black trans women.
That is not about White people. He literally says he's on "team TERF," which is, by definition, trans exclusionary.
Yeah and he further explained that some women see trans women the way black ppl would see white ppl putting on blackface. Its no doubt demeaning to a transwoman's experience given the key differences but that's the feeling he's trying to get across in describing it. Cuz from there he goes in to talking about Jenner and there just appears to be some inequality or special treatment the way she was just given women of the year.

Again, I'm not making the claim that Dave had the intention of adversely impacting Black trans people - but at this point it's impossible to deny that some of his recent specials have had that effect.

There's something to be said, too, of in-group vs. out-group humor - both in terms of who's speaking and who's listening. At whose expense and for whose pleasure is the joke being made?
Yeah, I get this that it has had effect but only to some degree. I don't agree with how it's being reported as if his standup is the cause of a wave of trans murder. It's stuff like that gets other posters to be a bit more.

I think where Dave is at, he has his own rather large audience that can discern which jokes are for who. That issue is part of the reason he did leave Chappelle though so I think he's aware of it enough not to end there again.

Last edited:
Black folks always been the Avant Garde...

Right out front:

Madonna came along and coopted the whole thing...turning into a "dance".

Just like the Me Too movement went from:

20xp-metoo1-facebookJumbo.jpg

To:

2017.01.20_Alaska_Air_Flight_6_in_Pink_LAX-DCA_00049_(31620242283).jpg

Yet most of these folks turned around and voted for Donald Trump.

Crazy how we are debating about Dave Chappelle when all he did was tell the truth.

Our interests as Black folks aren't and never have been aligned with the "majority".

Once something becomes "mainstream" it hardly ever resembles its origins.

Empathy folks.

If you have no interest in me and mine, then why should I align myself to you and yours?

LGBTQ can be racists like anyone else.

If Dave Chappelle never told another joke - would Black LGBTQ folks be saved from racism?

I highly doubt someone like Bayard Rustin or James Baldwin would be running around with a bunch of white folks wearing P hats and bumping Lil Nas X, nor do I believe they'd be calling for the cancellation of Dave Chappelle.

Using Black LGBTQ folks to "cancel" Dave Chappelle?

cmon-son.gif

In this country you're Black / White before you're anything else.

Some of the posts defending Chappelle in here seem to follow a particular template that wouldn't fly if the words LGBT/trans were swapped with black/minorities.

The lack of self-awareness is a bit disappointing. It's almost as if people say society shouldn't have punching bags when they're actually ok with society having punching bags as long as it's not them.

It is amazing to see how much "Dave had a trans friend" has been mentioned in his defense as if it's not a totally useless justification

Some of the posts defending Chappelle in here seem to follow a particular template that wouldn't fly if the words LGBT/trans were swapped with black/minorities.

Dave Chappelle doesn't tell jokes about black people?

Word?

Why did he walk away millions and millions and millions of dollars again?

Word?

Why did he walk away millions and millions and millions of dollars again?
Don’t let facts get in the way of a good story or narrative.

Dave Chapelle is probably one of the greatest orators of this time. There is a hint of crudeness in his humor as he weaves his artful comedic ability to make a point.

I think at the end of the day. The sad point he was trying to make went over folks heads. All anyone can focus on is he made statements about trans or homosexuals.

It’s not like he hasn’t tried to be forthright with the George Floyd or Comedy Central Controlling the Rights to his Show specials.

Exactly, which ignores that these aren't mutually exclusive groups and is, ironically, substantiated less by evidence than by those much-reviled "feelings."

I'm at least more receptive to the "double standard" takes - which is individually true of many Chappelle critics though frequently misapplied as sweeping generalizations - than the "it's just a joke" defense.
I find the notion that comedy ought to be the one field exempt from ethics or criticism to be a weird take. If anything, Amy Schumer wasn't penalized enough for telling racist "jokes."

I hardly think Ice Cube was in the wrong for confronting Bill Maher over his inexcusable use of racial slurs. That Maher has dated Black women or once gave to a scholarship fund once is hardly what I'd consider "redeeming," so using them here to exculpate Dave is pretty weak.

Many of Dave's self-appointed defenders are going much further than he has, openly justifying anti-trans resentment in a way that Dave has not, and when we see that in spaces like this we're obligated to call it out.

The antidote to White feminism is intersectional feminism - not sexism.
Fight fire with water.

If you're looking for double standards, the ability of White people like Seth MacFarlane to get away with peddling (among other prejudices) blatantly transphobic and homophobic content for decades is a good place to start, and far easier to substantiate than the claim that trans people are treated with a unique deference. Military service bans, legalizing refusal of service to trans people in the healthcare/insurance industries, bathroom bills, and youth sports bans are all examples of contemporary de jure discrimination. How is this all of this happening to what we're told is the most protected group in the country?

The trans rights space laser must be malfunctioning.

The lack of self-awareness is a bit disappointing. It's almost as if people say society shouldn't have punching bags when they're actually ok with society having punching bags as long as it's not them.
I want to highlight this, as it's a crucial point of overarching importance.

Some people seem to suffer from this notion that the entire LGBTQIA+ community is just a privilege flex for White people, so any attempt to be treated with basic human dignity - much less achieve societal or even legal equality - is perceived the way that the Fox News crowd regard immigrants: as if they're all "line cutters" out to steal what's "rightfully yours."

Heather McGhee expertly dashes the "zero sum" fallacy with respect to social justice in The Sum of Us, and it seems that a variation of that is in play here. As Audre Lorde so eloquently put it, "there is no such thing as a single-issue struggle, because we do not live single-issue lives."
It is not a matter of choosing between, say, racial equality OR gender equality. These are not competing or contradictory aims, nor mutually exclusive categories. It is not either/or, but, an on an existential level for many, a matter of and.
When the least privileged among us has attained freedom, all of us have.

At heart, a lot of this "gay agenda" and anti-feminist nonsense is about policing gender boundaries to protect masculinity as a source of pride.

The truth of the matter is that we'd all be better off standing with each other and against systemic, hierarchical injustice than fighting over table scraps.

I'd just like to know where all this "cancel" energy from the LGBTQ community was when this happened for example?

But go on about the narrative that Dave Chappelle's jokes will cause a wave of violence against the Black LGBTQ community.

I'd just like to know where all this "cancel" energy from the LGBTQ community was when this happened for example?

But go on about the narrative that Dave Chappelle's jokes will cause a wave of violence against the Black LGBTQ community.

just based on a quick google search, he was convicted on 9 charges inclusive of the deaths of 2 people..

that’s not canceling enough?

Dave Chapelle is probably one of the greatest orators of this time
Did he not quit the Chappelle's Show because he realized people were laughing at him and not with him?

One would think that the greatest orator of his time would do a better job at communicating to the audience his status as the narrator so that they don't think he is the court jester.

Word?
My comment addressed some of the statements posted in this thread to defend the special.
Meth elaborated above.
why LGBTQ community be protected from comedy?
What type of comedy are we talking about? There is plenty of comedy to be found about LGBT by straight people.
What people are pointing out is that you don't get to anything you want about a group you don't belong to and whose experience you can't fully understand, and pass it off as "jokes" when they're coming for your head because they find it offensive. When Chappelle characterizes trans people as secret military weapon, it begs the question: are American service members modeling their combat attire after Liberian General Butt Naked?

The other thing I want to add is that there are some people in this country who don't care about the safety of marginalized folks, and they love it when there is marginalized-on-marginalized feud. We all know the Chris Rock "Black people vs n****" joke, and we all know why he isn't performing it anymore.

Finally, as public figures, comedians should understand that some **** is better left unsaid within the public sphere. Their ability to use humor and insight to look at social phenomenon with a different perspective allows them to shape the opinions of a lot of people. The ones who don't acknowledge that are not very honest about the entire scope of their work and their influence.

im not getting it..

Seems like he’s going be in jail for a while

Rich White gay man kills two gay black men, sex traffics gay black men, injects gay black men with drugs against their will - for decades.

LGBTQ community:

Untitled-12.jpg

Dave Chappelle tells jokes -

LGBTQ community:

3.jpg

"In our country, you can shoot and kill a n*****, but you better not hurt a gay person’s feelings!” - Dave Chappelle

You:

"im not getting it.."

What type of comedy are we talking about? There is plenty of comedy to be found about LGBT by straight people.
What people are pointing out is that you don't get to anything you want about a group you don't belong to and whose experience you can't fully understand, and pass it off as "jokes" when they're coming for your head because they find it offensive.
When Chappelle characterizes trans people as secret military weapon, it begs the question: are American service members modeling their combat attire after Liberian General Butt Naked?

The other thing I want to add is that there are some people in this country who don't care about the safety of marginalized folks, and they love it when there is marginalized-on-marginalized feud. We all know the Chris Rock "Black people vs n****" joke, and we all know why he isn't performing it anymore.

except this is what dave is "challenging", these made up rules about punching down on groups youre not a part of

black male comedians make jokes about black women all the time, this would probably classify as "punching down" but somehow its socially acceptable, wheres the progressive outrage? black women are sexually abused, harrassed, and murdered too

but no one is saying "cant make jokes about black women dave, youre not part of that group..."

this is argument/conversation that dave isnt spelling out, why arent people saying this? why is there all this outrage surrounding his comments regarding the lgbt, specifically the trans? without spelling it out, he suggests that its because of WHITE PRIVILEGE

just based on a quick google search, he was convicted on 9 charges inclusive of the deaths of 2 people..

that’s not canceling enough?

Black death is normalized, subsidized and politicized when convenient.

If this special came out summer of 2020 reaction would have been completely different. But the nation has moved on from that moment of pretending to care about black issues.

im not getting it..

Seems like he’s going be in jail for a while

That's the point though. He's just going to jail. No public outcry from the LGBT community about harm done to gay black males.

Only smoke for harm done to black trans women because it points back to the aggressor being a black male most times.

Do gay black men occupy the lowest rung of the LGBTQ hierarchy?

Last edited:
Watched the special last night.

Figured the trans talk was just for a segment after reading reviews of the show.

He legit spent most of the show on that topic. That could have been done in podcast form.

Not even sure why anyone would touch that topic in 2021. (Unless they are expressing support).

#LowIQ

Watched the special last night.

Figured the trans talk was just for a segment after reading reviews of the show.

He legit spent most of the show on that topic. That could have been done in podcast form.

Not even sure why anyone would touch that topic in 2021. (Unless they are expressing support).

#LowIQ

Because he can do it and do it well, it’s one thing to do it poorly but the **** was hilarious

Because he can do it and do it well, it’s one thing to do it poorly but the **** was hilarious
Doing it well is highly subjective.

Just from reading this thread and browsing Fake Reality (Twitter) , many feel he hasn't done a solid job discussing the topic.

It's just DUMB at this point and it's just asking for trouble.

He gains nothing from it. Just leave the subject alone. Rant to your wife or something.

I wonder if Jeffrey Dahmer would be coddled today... a gay man who used his sexuality to prey upon other gay men...

Just from reading this thread and browsing Fake Reality (Twitter) , many feel he hasn't done a solid job discussing the topic.

He gains nothing from it. Just leave the subject alone. Rant to your wife or something.

...why should Dave have to shut up on the subject... when the same subject is being shoved in everyone’s face???

this is a man that left 50 mill on the table and you think he’s doing it to gain something?

he doesn’t give a **** what you or Twitter think, he did it to express himself

Back
Top Bottom