DC Studios THREAD - GunnVerse Begins - Chapter ONE: Gods & Monsters

Beating a dead horse at this point but......

I wonder if it the scene would have worked IF (a big IF) Superman had just said,

"Please. Save my mother. Her name is Martha Kent."

Instead of just Martha right then and there.

Naaaaa. I'm glad they kept the scene exactly as is. The Martha scene will never not be funny [emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji]

'Why?! Why do you say that name? '

Last edited:

People like to diss Superman's rogues gallery but his two biggest villains, Braniac and Luthor, are fantastic to me because they're "iterative".....

In the sense that they are characters defined by a timeless central concept and then contextualized by the writers and/or the story they inhabit

Lex- human genius who made his way in the world, stands at the pinnacle of society, but despises and secretly envies Superman and absolutely cannot (or will not) get over it, to the detriment of literally everyone of Earth (watch his last scene with Superman in All-Star Superman).

Insanely powerful in all the ways that matter to Earthlings, but there's an alien flying around who embodies something he believes he can never attain, but the genius of the Luthor character is the fact that the only thing blocking him from Superman levels of humanity is his own perception of Superman's alleged inhumanity. A fantastic formula for an arch nemesis. In fact, I think he represents a better foil to Superman than the Joker does Batman.

Millennial long haired blazer-and-chucks-wearing tech superstar Lex Luthor is such an amazing idea to me but WB or Snyder or DC or all three completely botched it in execution. Where we were supposed to get the definitively modern iteration of psychotic industry titan Lex Luthor, we got a whiny, twitchy nerd with vague motivations, unclear goals, a terribly delivered Freudian sob story, and illogical decision-making patterns. :smh: I love the look and charisma Jesse brought to it too. He just wasn't written or directed well.

Plus he knows who Superman is, when the true Lex Luthor should utterly refuse the concept that Superman walks around as a human being :x

Braniac is equally awesome. Either a malevolent alien with god-like levels of intelligence or a cold, ruthless AI or some measure of both, who easily matches Superman blow for blow and is capable of incredible degrees of iteration and/or metafictional reimagining that (in-universe) border on reincarnation. Often purported to be implicit in the destruction of Krypton or tied to some aspect of Kryptonian history. I'm hoping he's the villain of MoS2 and hoping he's done justice.

Forgive the wall of text, I'm procrastinating a research paper by NTing :smh:

Last edited:
"Millennial long haired blazer-and-chucks-wearing tech superstar Lex Luthor is such an amazing idea"

Always seemed lazy and **** to me. Appealing to the lowest common denominator to what's popular in modern society.

"Millennial long haired blazer-and-chucks-wearing tech superstar Lex Luthor is such an amazing idea"

Always seemed lazy and **** to me. Appealing to the lowest common denominator to what's popular in modern society.
Nope. At the end of the day, it's equal part aesthetic decision and equal part contemporary appropriation. The industry giants of this decade are young white boys; Silicon Valley hotheads who code and wear jeans to work--as "lowest common denominator" as you want to call it, I don't study stuffy old men in business suits in my MBA classes.

The fictional Fortune article even touches on it in a way that the movie completely ignores for reasons that are beyond me

"Alexander Joseph Luthor Jr. is a 31-year-old wunderkind who transformed an aging petrochemical and heavy machinery dinosaur into a tech darling of the Fortune 500 in what some call a superhuman feat."

The actual look is also inconsequential to the character (obviously besides the bald, which we knew was gonna happen regardless) to the degree that his primary character motivations and persona remain consistent. Which I acknowledge that the movie completely failed to do

Last edited:

Nope. At the end of the day, it's equal part aesthetic decision and equal part contemporary appropriation. The industry giants of this decade are young white boys; Silicon Valley hotheads who code and wear jeans to work--as "lowest common denominator" as you want to call it, I don't study stuffy old men in business suits in my MBA classes.

The fictional Fortune article even touches on it in a way that the movie completely ignores for reasons that are beyond me

"Alexander Joseph Luthor Jr. is a 31-year-old wunderkind who transformed an aging petrochemical and heavy machinery dinosaur into a tech darling of the Fortune 500 in what some call a superhuman feat."

The actual look is also inconsequential to the character (obviously besides the bald, which we knew was gonna happen regardless) to the degree that his primary character motivations and persona remain consistent. Which I acknowledge that the movie completely failed to do[/i]

Hence why I said it was lazy and **** cuz that's basically what it is. So transparent and lacking of inspiration.

Interesting the assumption you jump to though. As if "stuffy old men in business suits" is the only alternative :smh:

the-real-lex-luthor-o.gif

I'll show you how to do this son!

Last edited:

Still say that they could have used Braniac as the villain for the first Justice League film.

nah, or else yall gon' see him looking like Cyborg

let them learn their lesson from trollsday and then let's see if they improve with Darkseid

so let them learn their lesson with frailborg and then let's see if they improve on Brainiac

Nice write-up, KingdomFlatbush.

But yeah, I have to agree with Zik on this one regarding Eisenberg's take on Lex. Having him be a zany, manic billionaire genius just isn't what I envision when I think of Lex Luthor (regardless of the time period).

Michael Rosembaum's iteration of Lex is much more fitting to the character, imo. He was calm, cool but could be impulsive when the time called for it. The great thing they did with him was that he was envious of Clark for everything OTHER than his actual powers. His family, his friends, his sense of morality. All things Lex wish he could be.

Hence why I said it was lazy and **** cuz that's basically what it is. So transparent and lacking of inspiration.

Interesting the assumption you jump to though. As if "stuffy old men in business suits" is the only alternative :smh:

the-real-lex-luthor-o.gif

I'll show you how to do this son!

Nice write-up, KingdomFlatbush.

But yeah, I have to agree with Zik on this one regarding Eisenberg's take on Lex. Having him be a zany, manic billionaire genius just isn't what I envision when I think of Lex Luthor (regardless of the time period).

Michael Rosembaum's iteration of Lex is much more fitting to the character, imo. He was calm, cool but could be impulsive when the time called for it. The great thing they did with him was that he was envious of Clark for everything OTHER than his actual powers. His family, his friends, his sense of morality. All things Lex wish he could be.

Like I said, not talking personality.

Talking aesthetics.

Cold, bald, calculating genius businessman is what he is, that's obvious. The rest is subject to contemporary design choices.

Not twitchy and giggling. We already know the Zuckerberg look was never going to be permanent. The problem lies in the writing and directing. Eisenberg is a good actor and could do the "real" Lex well if he was coached to do so. But he's literally just insane in BvS

So, like I said, :lol: the asthetic, the Chucks, the jeans I had no problem with. The character, motivations, and personality they ****** up tremendously.

Son hit a bucket in his first scene like they were playing him up as hypercompetent but then he ***** up a speech at his party. :lol: yuck.

Another thing is that he only dressed like a techie in like the first scene :lol: the rest of the movie he dressed like a rich guy who owned a company

Last edited:
^ Honestly, if he just started out like this, we'd probably be all the better for it.

Having him go through his transformation from a spoiled, zany genius to a cold mf'er just feels unnecessary. I liken it to having to watch Anakin as a 9 year old in Phantom Menace. Who gives a **** what this kid was up to when he was in 3rd grade? Make him a 20 year old Jedi and get on with it.

I do agree that Eisenburg is a solid actor given the right material though.

DC launching its own streaming service with a Teen Titans live-action series and Young Justice s3

DC Entertainment is bringing back the idea of a live-action Teen Titans TV series to launch its exciting new streaming service — with help from the King of the Arrowverse.

In a project bringing together the heads of DC's movie and TV universes, film guru Geoff Johns, Arrow co-creator Greg Berlanti and Batman Forever co-writer Akiva Goldsman will be collaborate on the YA-themed Titans.

Titans is the coming-of-age story of **** Grayson, Batman's one-time sidekick Robin, stepping out of the Bat's shadow as the leader of his own superhero team. ****'s sometimes love interest Starfire and the mystical Raven will also feature..

The series has been greenlit at the same time as DC Entertainment develops a feature film based around **** Grayson, and a year after TNT shelved a similar live-action Teen Titans series.

It remains to be seen whether Titans will fit into the continuity with Greg Berlanti's other DC TV shows Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow, but his very involvement is a good sign.

DC's streaming service will also be the exclusive home of the long-awaited third season of animated drama Young Justice, which is being renamed Young Justice: Outsiders.

A third season was previously commissioned without the attachment of any traditional network or streaming service last year, following a highly-successful fan campaign.

Young Justice brings together the teen heroes of the DC Universe — including Robin, Kid Flash, Miss Martian, Superboy and Aqualad — to carry out missions under the guidance of the Justice League.

Here's how DC is pitching Outsiders: "In the highly anticipated new season, the team faces its greatest challenge yet as it takes on meta-human trafficking and the terrifying threat it creates for a society caught in the crossfire of a genetic arms race spanning the globe and the galaxy."

Both shows are expected to launch exclusively on DC and Warner Bros' new streaming service in 2018.

Synopsis:

“Titans” follows a group of young soon-to-be Super Heroes recruited from every corner of the DC Universe. In this action-packed series, **** Grayson emerges from the shadows to become the leader of a fearless band of new heroes, including Starfire, Raven and many others. “Titans” is a dramatic, live-action adventure series that will explore and celebrate one of the most popular comic book teams ever.

In “Young Justice: Outsiders,” the teenage Super Heroes of the DC Universe come of age in an animated world of super-powers, Super-Villains and super secrets. In the highly anticipated new season, the team faces its greatest challenge yet as it takes on meta-human trafficking and the terrifying threat it creates for a society caught in the crossfire of a genetic arms race spanning the globe and the galaxy. Equally praised by critics and viewers for its impressive visuals and rich storytelling, “Young Justice” reached more than 25 million unique viewers in each of its two seasons on Cartoon Network. This passionate fan support set the stage for the new third season.

Last edited:
does dc even hve enough content tomerit its own streaming service?

a damn shame nobody ever came with a super hero network

DC is a branch of WB so it could be that as a whole?

DC also has a lot of tv shows, animations and movies and they could add some motion comics.

It's obviously not going to have much content there so they likely be under a WB streaming branch or it will be a really, really cheap service.

Maybe that's why they have different cuts from theater and home release for each films :lol:

does dc even hve enough content tomerit its own streaming service?

a damn shame nobody ever came with a super hero network
Yeah. Various batman animated series. The animated batman movies. Justice league cartoon. Justice league movies. Flash, arrow, legends, smallville, Young Justice, teen Titans. Then all of the live action movies.

Back
Top Bottom