DC Studios THREAD - GunnVerse Begins - Chapter ONE: Gods & Monsters

I guess they could have just made john stewert THE black hero but that wouldnt work in the comics because the prime GL will always be hal jordan.

so that leaves cyborg.....mr terrifiv... and then who? steel? :lol:

i like mr terrific but no one knows who that is. plus name wont work in a movie.:lol:

MM is not that special tho. A Superman who is telepathic, telekinetic, intangible and can shapeshift meaning a more OP Superman :lol:

Actually all they did was base the team on the most recent incarnation from the comic books, in which Cyborg again replaced Jonn, which then goes back to how they at the time could've chosen any hero, any black hero, but they still chose Cyborg :lol:

nah im not saying the movie studio im sayin dc in general. its clear they made a change and decided that cyborg is THE black guy.

Actually all they did was base the team on the most recent incarnation from the comic books, in which Cyborg again replaced Jonn, which then goes back to how they at the time could've chosen any hero, any black hero, but they still chose Cyborg :lol:

nah im not saying the movie studio im sayin dc in general. its clear they made a change and decided that cyborg is THE black guy.

Then they chose a terrible candidate and mad a bad choice to replace Jonn with him while they were at it. They'd honestly just have been better off throwing even more attention towards John Stewart, who wasn't only successful in the animated series, but already had a long history of success in the comics as well. Cyborg doesn't have the presence for that.

DC shouldn't make a standalone Cyborg movie.

Introduce him like Marvel introduced Hawkeye.

Agreed.

Last edited:
Then they chose a terrible candidate and mad a bad choice to replace Jonn with him while they were at it. They'd honestly just have been better off throwing even more attention towards John Stewart, who wasn't only successful in the animated series, but already had a long history of success in the comics as well. Cyborg doesn't have the presence for that.
Agreed.

but John Stewert is still know as a B green lantern, so I get why they couldn't go with him.

I think they wanted designate "THE black guy" a cross all their media. so it had to be someone original not a secondary GL. So at that point you are left with

cyborg

Mr Terrific (unknown, stupid name)

Steel (Shaquille Oneal movie :lol:)

Firstorm (already on flash tv ledgends of tomorrow)

Vixen (unkown, stupid name)

Static shock (younger than the rest of the heroes.)

who would u have gone with?

Over/under on Cyborg saying BOOYAH!

:x i forgot about that dumb *** catchphrase.

DC shouldn't make a standalone Cyborg movie.

Introduce him like Marvel introduced Hawkeye.

I think its good that DC decided they needed to have a black super hero. its just too bad DC black heroes are wack/underutilized.

Last edited:
Wouldn't mind Static joining the league or having a relationship similar to Spidey's relationship with the Avengers.

Dwayne McDuffie conceived Static as kind of a black Spider-Man anyway

Wouldn't mind Static joining the league or having a relationship similar to Spidey's relationship with the Avengers.

yeah now that i think of that might be cool.

I never was in to static, i was too old i think.

only problem i don't think it fits in with DC's dark gritty vibe that thye seems obsessed with.

Last edited:
Don't see the problem with Cyborg. He's been part of the group in the recent DCA movies and the dynamic works. Can't get rid of Martian Manhunter though.

Agreed.

but John Stewert is still know as a B green lantern, so I get why they couldn't go with him.

I think they wanted designate "THE black guy" a cross all their media. so it had to be someone original not a secondary GL. So at that point you are left with

cyborg

Mr Terrific (unknown, stupid name)

Steel (Shaquille Oneal movie :lol:)

Firstorm (already on flash tv ledgends of tomorrow)

Vixen (unkown, stupid name)

Static shock (younger than the rest of the heroes.)

who would u have gone with?.

Static, John Stewart, or Black Lightning. He's a B-Green Lantern because that's how he's treated. Just like Cyborg was a strictly Teen Titans character until they promoted him to the Justice League. Heck, all of those characters you mentioned, regardless of where they are, are B to C list characters, though John is the only one who could really be argued to be an A-list hero. In that way, if you're making a push to move them into the spotlight, it doesn't matter where they were before. What matters if what you do to move them from that position. John Stewart especially could have easily filled the role, since many already associated him as being a major African American figure in DC, not only from the comics, but the successful JL/JLU animated series as well. With the failure of the GL film featuring Hal Jordan that was the perfect opportunity to push John as a character. Especially because it's really not that hard to do so with the Lanterns. Hal Jordan was dead for years, along with the entire Corps for that matter, and Green Lantern kept chugging on as a franchise. It's even easier because John is already so popular and as far as the comics go you've got more than one GL series anyways. So you wouldn't even have to kill Hal off again in the wake of the movie.

And Cyborg is also younger than the rest of the people on the League, so that's irrelevant in regards to Static, who would by my number one or two choice. All three of these characters are better than Cyborg. At the time this was happening, Firestorm also wasn't on Legends of Tomorrow, because such a thing didn't exist. He's also not a strictly African American character.

Last edited:
Static, John Stewart, or Black Lightning. He's a B-Green Lantern because that's how he's treated. Just like Cyborg was a strictly Teen Titans character until they promoted him to the Justice League. Heck, all of those characters you mentioned, regardless of where they are, are B to C list characters, though John is the only one who could really be argued to be an A-list hero. In that way, if you're making a push to move them into the spotlight, it doesn't matter where they were before. What matters if what you do to move them from that position. John Stewart especially could have easily filled the role, since many already associated him as being a major African American figure in DC, not only from the comics, but the successful JL/JLU animated series as well. With the failure of the GL film featuring Hal Jordan that was the perfect opportunity to push John as a character. Especially because it's really not that hard to do so with the Lanterns. Hal Jordan was dead for years, along with the entire Corps for that matter, and Green Lantern kept chugging on as a franchise. It's even easier because John is already so popular and as far as the comics go you've got more than one GL series anyways. So you wouldn't even have to kill Hal off again in the wake of the movie.

And Cyborg is also younger than the rest of the people on the League, so that's irrelevant in regards to Static.

i don't like cyborg either, im just explaining DC's logic.

on jon stewert its one thing to be b-c list character and another thing to be a secondary version of character that was conceived of as white. and given that DC went to all the trouble to bring Hal back I think if they want THE black guy to exist across all media including comics it can't be Jon.

no one knows who black lighting is.
They've aged Cyborg up in the comics.

Me perosnally I would have rather had Stewert as GL or Mr Terrific or VIxen I don't like Cyborg, but I see why they did it, he's the most well known least compromised character.

And Cyborg is also younger than the rest of the people on the League, so that's irrelevant in regards to Static.

i don't like cyborg either, im just explaining DC's logic.

on jon stewert its one thing to be b-c list character and another thing to be a secondary version of character that was conceived of as white. and given that DC went to all the trouble to bring Hal back I think if they want THE black guy to exist across all media including comics it can't be Jon.

no one knows who black lighting is.
They've aged Cyborg up in the comics.

Me perosnally I would have rather had Stewert as GL or Mr Terrific or VIxen I don't like Cyborg, but I see why they did it, he's the most well known least compromised character.

Disagree. There's no reason it can't be John and it arguably has been at various points. Similar to Static's age, just like Cyborg's age, Hal Jordan existing as a GL while they're pushing another GL really doesn't matter at all in terms of who they want to be their primary black character.

There was a point where no one knew who Static, John Stewart, or Cyborg were. :rolleyes

They could age Static up :lol: What you're saying could apply to any comic book character. And actually, I don't think they changed Cyborg's age at all. His origin has him being in high school and then 5 years passes, still placing him well behind everyone else in terms of age. The animated films feature the same exact origin.

Last edited:
Nah Static's vibe is completely teen/high school.

Actually since Cyborg is a young hero anyway Static would have worked perfectly :smh:

Nah Static's vibe is completely teen/high school.

Actually since Cyborg is a young hero anyway Static would have worked perfectly
:smh:

Pretty much. Cyborg, Static, Spider-Man, all of them are characters that are younger than the big guns like Batman and Iron Man, but still work beside them on occassion and you could write into series/events with them, if you're trying to appeal to a younger demographic with a certain character.

Last edited:
Cyborg as a member of the Justice League :smh: **** is a joke. One of the biggest events in the franchises history and they throw my man Martian Manhunter to the wolves. Terrible, just plain terrible.

I mean did you really think that they were going to put themselves on the diversity summer jam screen with an all white justice league? :lol:

Nah. They ducked that L and decided Cyborg is the black dc superhero. Now that I think about DCs roster of black heroes is really wack.

I would have rather had mr terrific.
Been saying that for a while.

Still don't think that Cyborg movie gonna happen.

DC buggin resisting as hard as they could not to make Jon Stewart the main GL. I grew up with him being the main GL. They could even make MM's human identity a black person but nope. They aged up Cyborg of all ppl. Not even their first black superhero.

DC doesn't even own the rights to Static Shock to put him in the movie. All they have is a distribution deal with Milestone Media.

So unless a deal is made don't expect to see Static in any of these DC movies.

Disagree. There's no reason it can't be John and it arguably has been at various points. Similar to Static's age, just like Cyborg's age, Hal Jordan existing as a GL while they're pushing another GL really doesn't matter at all in terms of who they want to be their primary black character.

thats the way you see it clearly they don't see that way. and I get it, I understand why they don't want "THE black guy" to be confused for other characters and not have a singular identity.

There was a point where no one knew who Static, John Stewart, or Cyborg were. :rolleyes

again I understand why they thought it was easier to elevate B list characters instead of D. You can disagree but I understand the logic

They could age Static up :lol: What you're saying could apply to any comic book character. And actually, I don't think they changed Cyborg's age at all. His origin has him being in high school and then 5 years passes, still placing him well behind everyone else in terms of age. The animated films feature the same exact origin

being a kid is central to the concept of Static Shock, aging him up has way more implications than aging Cyborg up. It's a completely different character at that point.

look You can disagree with it if you want, but there is a coherent logic to choosing Cyborg.

I don't live it either but its not like they picked him out of the ether.

Been saying that for a while.

DC doesn't even own the rights to Static Shock to put him in the movie. All they have is a distribution deal with Milestone Media.

I totally forgot about this, but yeah. no way they are breaking bread when they don't have to. :lol:

thats the way you see it clearly they don't see that way. and I get it, I understand why they don't want "THE black guy" to be confused for other characters and not have a singular identity.

again I understand why they thought it was easier to elevate B list characters instead of D. You can disagree but I understand the logic

They could age Static up :lol: What you're saying could apply to any comic book character. And actually, I don't think they changed Cyborg's age at all. His origin has him being in high school and then 5 years passes, still placing him well behind everyone else in terms of age. The animated films feature the same exact origin

being a kid is central to the concept of Static Shock, aging him up has way more implications than aging Cyborg up. It's a completely different character at that point.

look You can disagree with it if you want, but there is a coherent logic to choosing Cyborg.

I don't live it either but its not like they picked him out of the ether.

There's no evidence that they don't see it that way either. :lol: The fact they chose to put Cyborg on the JLA, after John, Black Lightning, Vixen, and others have been proves nothing.

Static and Black Lightning aren't D-List heroes and the path they took to elevating Cyborg wasn't hard. And i'd hardly call Cyborg a B-List hero. :lol: It's not as if he gained his own solo show and they had to make that work. He was in a successful animated show years ago and come 2011 they decided to put him on the JLA. In terms of representation, Black Lightning had more than him until that moment, as did Static arguably. You could've placed any black character in that position and the result would've been the same, which is what happened with John Stewart.

Well they didn't age Cyborg up, so its irrelevant. Don't know that i'd say Static's a kid. He's well-known as a teenager, just like Peter Parker. Cyborg in fact is just like Peter, a character that started as a teenager and then grew up, so he's now in his early 20's. You've got Spider-Man over in Marvel also about to be introduced as a teenager, once again, so it's not like a teenager couldn't work.

And i'm not and never have said there wasn't logic behind choosing Cyborg. All i've said is that every reason you've provided either isn't exclusive to him or concerns something that they could've done with anybody.

Last edited:

Really? Are rights for use in cartoons different? Because Static is in Young Justice. 

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom