DC Studios THREAD - GunnVerse Begins - The Penguin out 9/19 then every Sunday on MAX

Can you quote me exactly what was said or done to him?

There is so much fluff and set up in that article when I'm just trying to find the details.

Cuz so dar from reading, Fisher didn't like that Whedon cut his character's story, that he was dismissive of notes, and that John's wasn't going tondo anything about it.

We already know Whedon was unprofessional by others accounts but I'm looking for where he was abused or what gross things were done to him and/or the instances of racism from Berg and Johns.

Probably will continue until The Batman comes out.

it’s going to feel like you’re reading the article cause I just copied and paste the stuff from where you stopped.

“Once Whedon got involved, Fisher says that Johns told him that it was problematic that Cyborg smiled only twice in the movie. Fisher says he later learned from a witness who participated in the investigation that Johns and other top executives, including then-DC Films co-chairman Jon Berg and Warners studio chief Toby Emmerich, had discussions in which they said they could not have “an angry Black man” at the center of the film. Johns’ rep responds that once the chairman of the studio mandated a brighter tone for the film, all further discussions centered on “adding joy and hopefulness to all six superheroes. There are always conversations about avoiding any stereotype of race, gender or sexuality.”

“Johns told Fisher he should play the character less like Frankenstein and more like the kindhearted Quasimodo. Fisher says that in order to demonstrate the look he wanted, Johns dipped his shoulder in what struck Fisher as a servile posture. To Fisher, there was a big difference between portraying a character who was born with a disability versus one who had been transformed by trauma. And he felt Cyborg was a kind of modern-day Frankenstein. “I didn’t have any intention of playing him as a jovial, cathedral-cleaning individual,” he says.”

“Fisher told Johns it might be one thing for a non-Black person to write a character for a comic, but it was another for a Black actor to portray that character onscreen. “It was like he was assuming how Black people would respond rather than taking the advice from the only Black person — as far as I know — with any kind of creative impact on the project,” Fisher says.”

The tension only escalated when the issue of having Cyborg say “booyah” arose. That phrase had become a signature of the character thanks to the animated Teen Titans shows, but the character had never said it in the comics or in the original script. Fisher says that Johns had approached Snyder about including the line, but the director didn’t want any catchphrases. He managed the situation by putting the word on some signs in his version of the film, as an Easter egg. But Johns’ rep says the entire studio believed the booyah line was “a fun moment of synergy.”

Fisher says he doesn’t see the word in itself as an issue, but he thought it played differently in a live-action film than the animated series. And he thought of Black characters in pop culture with defining phrases: Gary Coleman’s “Whatchoo talkin’ ’bout, Willis?”; Jimmie Walker’s “Dy-no-mite!” As no one else in the film had a catchphrase, he says, “It seemed weird to have the only Black character say that.”

With reshoots underway, Fisher says Whedon raised the issue again: “Geoff tells me Cyborg has a catchphrase,” he told him. Fisher says he expressed his objections and it seemed the matter was dropped — until Berg, the co-chairman of DC Films and a producer on the project, took him to dinner.

“This is one of the most expensive movies Warners has ever made,” Berg said, according to Fisher. “What if the CEO of AT&T has a son or daughter, and that son or daughter wants Cyborg to say ‘booyah’ in the movie and we don’t have a take of that? I could lose my job.” Fisher responded that he knew if he filmed the line, it would end up in the movie. And he expressed skepticism that the film’s fate rested on Cyborg saying “booyah.”

But he shot the take. As he arrived on set, he says, Whedon stretched out his arms and said a line from Hamlet in a mocking tone: “Speak the speech, I pray you, as I pronounced it to you.” Fisher replied, “Joss — don’t. I’m not in the mood.” As he left the set after saying just that one phrase for the cameras, he says, Whedon called out, “Nice work, Ray.”

After Fisher arrived in Los Angeles for additional photography in summer 2017, Johns asked him to come to the DC offices in Burbank. When they met in a conference room, Fisher said he had apologized to Whedon for his part in the conflict, which he had done in the hope of preventing a real rupture with the DC team. Johns responded that having agents call Emmerich was “just not cool.” Fisher recalls: “He said, ‘I consider us to be friends’ — which he knew we were not — ‘and I just don’t want you to make a bad name for yourself in the business.’ ” Fisher took that as a threat. Johns’ rep says he never made a threat but told Fisher that creative differences were not normally taken to the head of a film studio by an actor’s agent

Most of the stuff is micro aggressions. And I feel him on that cause no one should just deal with that ********. Then to drop almost his entire arc from the movie that makes the movie jumbled and almost incoherent just seems off. Like why would you do that? There’s plenty to cut that wouldn’t do that to the movie…

it’s going to feel like you’re reading the article cause I just copied and paste the stuff from where you stopped.

“Once Whedon got involved, Fisher says that Johns told him that it was problematic that Cyborg smiled only twice in the movie. Fisher says he later learned from a witness who participated in the investigation that Johns and other top executives, including then-DC Films co-chairman Jon Berg and Warners studio chief Toby Emmerich, had discussions in which they said they could not have “an angry Black man” at the center of the film. Johns’ rep responds that once the chairman of the studio mandated a brighter tone for the film, all further discussions centered on “adding joy and hopefulness to all six superheroes. There are always conversations about avoiding any stereotype of race, gender or sexuality.”

“Johns told Fisher he should play the character less like Frankenstein and more like the kindhearted Quasimodo. Fisher says that in order to demonstrate the look he wanted, Johns dipped his shoulder in what struck Fisher as a servile posture. To Fisher, there was a big difference between portraying a character who was born with a disability versus one who had been transformed by trauma. And he felt Cyborg was a kind of modern-day Frankenstein. “I didn’t have any intention of playing him as a jovial, cathedral-cleaning individual,” he says.”

“Fisher told Johns it might be one thing for a non-Black person to write a character for a comic, but it was another for a Black actor to portray that character onscreen. “It was like he was assuming how Black people would respond rather than taking the advice from the only Black person — as far as I know — with any kind of creative impact on the project,” Fisher says.”

The tension only escalated when the issue of having Cyborg say “booyah” arose. That phrase had become a signature of the character thanks to the animated Teen Titans shows, but the character had never said it in the comics or in the original script. Fisher says that Johns had approached Snyder about including the line, but the director didn’t want any catchphrases. He managed the situation by putting the word on some signs in his version of the film, as an Easter egg. But Johns’ rep says the entire studio believed the booyah line was “a fun moment of synergy.”

Fisher says he doesn’t see the word in itself as an issue, but he thought it played differently in a live-action film than the animated series. And he thought of Black characters in pop culture with defining phrases: Gary Coleman’s “Whatchoo talkin’ ’bout, Willis?”; Jimmie Walker’s “Dy-no-mite!” As no one else in the film had a catchphrase, he says, “It seemed weird to have the only Black character say that.”

With reshoots underway, Fisher says Whedon raised the issue again: “Geoff tells me Cyborg has a catchphrase,” he told him. Fisher says he expressed his objections and it seemed the matter was dropped — until Berg, the co-chairman of DC Films and a producer on the project, took him to dinner.

“This is one of the most expensive movies Warners has ever made,” Berg said, according to Fisher. “What if the CEO of AT&T has a son or daughter, and that son or daughter wants Cyborg to say ‘booyah’ in the movie and we don’t have a take of that? I could lose my job.” Fisher responded that he knew if he filmed the line, it would end up in the movie. And he expressed skepticism that the film’s fate rested on Cyborg saying “booyah.”

But he shot the take. As he arrived on set, he says, Whedon stretched out his arms and said a line from Hamlet in a mocking tone: “Speak the speech, I pray you, as I pronounced it to you.” Fisher replied, “Joss — don’t. I’m not in the mood.” As he left the set after saying just that one phrase for the cameras, he says, Whedon called out, “Nice work, Ray.”

After Fisher arrived in Los Angeles for additional photography in summer 2017, Johns asked him to come to the DC offices in Burbank. When they met in a conference room, Fisher said he had apologized to Whedon for his part in the conflict, which he had done in the hope of preventing a real rupture with the DC team. Johns responded that having agents call Emmerich was “just not cool.” Fisher recalls: “He said, ‘I consider us to be friends’ — which he knew we were not — ‘and I just don’t want you to make a bad name for yourself in the business.’ ” Fisher took that as a threat. Johns’ rep says he never made a threat but told Fisher that creative differences were not normally taken to the head of a film studio by an actor’s agent

Most of the stuff is micro aggressions. And I feel him on that cause no one should just deal with that bull****. Then to drop almost his entire arc from the movie that makes the movie jumbled and almost incoherent just seems off. Like why would you do that? There’s plenty to cut that wouldn’t do that to the movie…
So nothing abusive or gross. At best unprofessionalism and it stops being about Whedon for a good deal of that cuz we all know he's done much worse.

And he actually was whining about having to say "Booyah".

As far as the story choices, seems Whedon was doing exactly what WB/DC asked; not another grim dark joyless bland superhero movie but something close to what Whedon had did in past movies nut using what Snyder did and reshoots. I can actually get why they dropped Cyborg's backstory if that was the directive given from high up.

As far as the racism goes, I can get all that but when this started he was solely focusing on Whedon and then added in Johns and Berg racism.

The craziest part about it given how hard he was going is the movie Snyder intended was barely any better and didn't even do better.

Last edited:
DC failed Gunn.. I didn’t realize the crap that is going make more than the SS

i just hope DC lets him at least run it back or do more

DC failed Gunn.. I didn’t realize the crap that is going make more than the SS

i just hope DC lets him at least run it back or do more

figures, what a waste of time watching that, sad clickbait

they talk about MK is rated R and that made $83m worldwide and the SS2 wont even make that but did they even see that SS2 is already at $72m worldwide?

and MK released when pandemic was on the downslope and vaccine was widespread but whatever

figures, what a waste of time watching that, sad clickbait

they talk about MK is rated R and that made $83m worldwide and the SS2 wont even make that but did they even see that SS2 is already at $72m worldwide?

and MK released when pandemic was on the downslope and vaccine was widespread but whatever

im more concerned about the potential fallout from it not doing well

was more surprised with the movies they referenced that are on pace to do better in spite of how much garbage they were.. that’s why I posted, didn’t realize the heights will probably outperform it

im more concerned about the potential fallout from it not doing well

was more surprised with the movies they referenced that are on pace to do better in spite of how much garbage they were.. that’s why I posted, didn’t realize the heights will probably outperform it

its bad reporting just to get laughs

in the heights is at $43m worldwide :lol: and opened at $11m so i have absolutely no idea what they were talking about and thats a Lin Manuel riding off the high from Hamilton

SS2 practically doubled them up in one week

Yes, SS being so trash hurt this film for the get go. It was DOA no matter what. Ironic really. It’s their best film since joker. I can’t even say what their best film was past joker

Yes, SS being so trash hurt this film for the get go. It was DOA no matter what. Ironic really. It’s their best film since joker. I can’t even say what their best film was past joker

joker was an isolated film or should be

I could see the larger DC universe actually fitting within the world Gunn setup

but obviously the current situation is what it is.. but the last DC movie was WW84 and then multiple versions of Snyder’s justice league

I really liked TSS so I forced myself to watch the 2016 SS and man it was so bad lol

I love Will Smith but the upgrade to Idris Elba was noticeable

I hope we get another Task Force X movie(With Bloodsport and the gang) from Gunn

an idris and will buddy cop dynamic in a ss sequel would be 🔥 the old american british cultural clash

need new female leads to replace harley tho

the peacemaker hbo max series is written and directed by gunn so it should be good

no other DC movies lined up until Black Adam huh? Even that **** feels surreal to say it's getting released next year, i still get the impression it's gonna get pushed back again :lol:

It’s just best to not look forward to anything with DC at this point. Just take in whatever is coming out and go from there

Reactions: OTG
peacemaker tv series is in january next year, The Batman comes out Mar 4 and then Black Adams Jul 29

dceu-wise, yah BA is the next film

It’s just best to not look forward to anything with DC at this point. Just take in whatever is coming out and go from there

must’ve forgot we getting Injustice which will probably turn out to be the best DC Animated movie we ever get. Scumbag Supes gonna be on some Invincible (Amazon) level.

lies.. there is alot of quality DC content.. it's just the DCEU you cant bank on

which is a shame, because the SS was good and the joker was good

but my first recommendation for current/ongoing DC content is:

1628608051398.png

Reactions: sb
early storybook/concept for TSS has Deathstroke leading the team which isnt bad as joemango has good comedic timing but i like Idris on this and they can save him for the next film, maybe as the main antagonist they need to hunt next time around?

1628607990186.png

1628608226585.png

Back
Top Bottom