Dear Mr. Reseller...Please dont kill the game

backout.gif

Love this gif 
laugh.gif

LOL, i guess i'll take the L on this one.
laugh.gif

I mean back in the day it did, i mean a little bit right?  Maybe i should just stop.

I cant believe that op lives in nyc and is mad about resellers when its alot of mom & pops here that make a killing off of selling a sneaker early or holding on to hot kicks just to sell them off in the near future for more guap. & its been that way since i can remember in every spot in nyc fordam or 3rd ave in da bronx, 145 ,125 uptown, canal st., downtown bk ,fulton st., jamaica ave & junction blvd. In queens. Many of these spots have made & continue to make bank from the sneaker game. They gave resellers da blueprint.... & u even got flightclub to help with it too.

Originally Posted by BigLefty23

The "Game" is already dead.

No matter how you want to look at it, it's ruined.

The information age and instant access to inventory updates has killed the fun in going to a store to see what they have.
---Going on the release date and just walking in casually and buying is over with.
one of the truest and most insightful posts ive read on NikeTalk
glasses.gif

everyone complains about resellers, etc etc but it comes with the territory.  with the access to the net, the times have changed. if you dont stay on top of your game, someone out there will take advantage. it is dog eat dog- survival of the fittest, its just like any opportunity sneaker related or not, 100% of the time someone out there will capitalize on it.

imo most everyone is at fault for the reason the sneaker game is the way it is now.
-resellers
-worldwideweb
-jordan- just blew the sneaker game out of the water, especially basketball kickz.
-even us "sNEAKER heads aka enthusiasts - we eat that limited crap up!
-but most of all to blame is NIKE

for those who complain about resellers, you just gotta work harder to get yours, cause due to the internet and phone orders, there's way too many options to not get what you want.  it's all about what people are willing to pay and how bad they want it and that will never be controlled or regulated.... shops do need to stick to one per customer though on super limited '$@!....  reselling has seemed to die down in the last few years i think, due to restocks,  more availablility, and recession.

Originally Posted by Peteweezy

Anyhow dude in front of me bought all 6 pairs of size 11.5 Columbias the store had in stock and that was the size I wear.  Rather then cry about it on a messageboard I took actions into my own hands. I confronted dude and told him that I didn't want there to be any problems and that I didn't care what he did with the other 5 of those pairs but that he was going to sell me one of those pairs for $137.50 which was retail plus tax. Dude was reluctant at first but realized that I had 4 of my friends with me so I guess he thought it was in his best interest to just sell me one of those pairs at retail and go about his day. I could tell he was real pissed off when I gave him the money but after putting all the work I did into getting my pair there was no way I was ending up empty handed in that type of way.

I mainly handled it the way I did because he bought every single pair in my size which was real inconsiderate to me. (yes i know he got there before me) but still.  If the store only had 1 pair of columbias in size 11.5 and he bought them I would have just taken the L since he got there first but the fact that he tried to buy all 6 pairs and deny me of my pair in the process is what infuriated me.

You got lucky cause nowadays that's a quick way to get popped (even if you packing too) and you do know MJ isn't comming to your funeral.  I feel you about dudes buying up all the supply but I just don't think a pair of sneaks are worth what could have potentially happened to you.

I call bull, this guy is not tough. That most likely happened to him
roll.gif
... all these tough guy stories on here crack me up lol

there is always going to be resellers no matter what. Thats what i hate bout the shoe game

Originally Posted by solesearchin

Originally Posted by Peteweezy

Anyhow dude in front of me bought all 6 pairs of size 11.5 Columbias the store had in stock and that was the size I wear.  Rather then cry about it on a messageboard I took actions into my own hands. I confronted dude and told him that I didn't want there to be any problems and that I didn't care what he did with the other 5 of those pairs but that he was going to sell me one of those pairs for $137.50 which was retail plus tax. Dude was reluctant at first but realized that I had 4 of my friends with me so I guess he thought it was in his best interest to just sell me one of those pairs at retail and go about his day. I could tell he was real pissed off when I gave him the money but after putting all the work I did into getting my pair there was no way I was ending up empty handed in that type of way.

I mainly handled it the way I did because he bought every single pair in my size which was real inconsiderate to me. (yes i know he got there before me) but still.  If the store only had 1 pair of columbias in size 11.5 and he bought them I would have just taken the L since he got there first but the fact that he tried to buy all 6 pairs and deny me of my pair in the process is what infuriated me.

You got lucky cause nowadays that's a quick way to get popped (even if you packing too) and you do know MJ isn't comming to your funeral.  I feel you about dudes buying up all the supply but I just don't think a pair of sneaks are worth what could have potentially happened to you.

I call bull, this guy is not tough. That most likely happened to him
roll.gif
... all these tough guy stories on here crack me up lol

laugh.gif
yeah because you were there with me that day 9 years ago right?.  if some dude bought out the shoe you waited a few hours and ditched school for and had four of your friends with you and the odds in your favor you would just put your head down pout and take the L right?   i went through hell to get the money for those shoes, ditched school and risked a ticket to get the shoes and was going to be damned if some clown bought every pair in my size and left me empty handed.

really? startin with the spacejams and coppers? gotta be kiddin me. whoever wrote this article obviously hasnt been into the "culture" long enough.

I'll chime in on this, as I've seen everything possible in my 10+ years on here...

I've been reselling since 1999, before reselling was "cool"....and a LOT of the OG members on here were as well. Before "Quickstrikes", shoes that are considered "limited", etc., it was an easy way to make money, and supply everyone else with the same stuff that everybody has. Contrary to popular belief, Niketalk has members that span the globe...not just in NY or Cali. Remember "LA" AF1s? Acorns & B-corns? Camper Green Dunks? NT used to be notorious for scouring outlets and reselling them on Ebay or here....only diff.between now and then, is about 50% of that were "hookups", and the other 1/2 was for profit, but people looked out back then. Now, people feel as if they can't return the favor.

Without resellers, I GUARANTEE people's collections would NOT be what they are...overseas releases (early or exclusive) wouldn't be had, people who live in rural areas would be without, and people who just didn't have the money at that particular time wouldn't be able to get what they wanted months later. I sell shoes to a LOT of people who live in Utah, Nebraska, etc. where their stores don't receive everything, and if they do, it's in extremely limited numbers. They rely on resellers to purchase almost everything. NIKE doesn't restock EVERYTHING...it depends on supply and demand, and depending how fast the restock is, some opt to not get the shoes, because they'll sit on them.

If you DON'T want to pay resellers prices, it's simple: DON'T. If you refuse to wake up early and don't want to wait in line, have no inside connects, or refuse to do anything but leave your computer and hope that you get a pair off Eastbay (which you've failed the last 5 times), whose fault is it? This has nothing to do with the "last few months"....this has BEEN goin on. Also, if you're an avid collector, what better way to fuel your own habit? Yes, people that resell DO have jobs...where you think they got the money for them in the first place? But, why use money out of their check when they can provide a service and use the profit for that?

Originally Posted by Cameron Nelson

I'll chime in on this, as I've seen everything possible in my 10+ years on here...

I've been reselling since 1999, before reselling was "cool"....and a LOT of the OG members on here were as well. Before "Quickstrikes", shoes that are considered "limited", etc., it was an easy way to make money, and supply everyone else with the same stuff that everybody has. Contrary to popular belief, Niketalk has members that span the globe...not just in NY or Cali. Remember "LA" AF1s? Acorns & B-corns? Camper Green Dunks? NT used to be notorious for scouring outlets and reselling them on Ebay or here....only diff.between now and then, is about 50% of that were "hookups", and the other 1/2 was for profit, but people looked out back then. Now, people feel as if they can't return the favor.

Without resellers, I GUARANTEE people's collections would NOT be what they are...overseas releases (early or exclusive) wouldn't be had, people who live in rural areas would be without, and people who just didn't have the money at that particular time wouldn't be able to get what they wanted months later. I sell shoes to a LOT of people who live in Utah, Nebraska, etc. where their stores don't receive everything, and if they do, it's in extremely limited numbers. They rely on resellers to purchase almost everything. NIKE doesn't restock EVERYTHING...it depends on supply and demand, and depending how fast the restock is, some opt to not get the shoes, because they'll sit on them.

If you DON'T want to pay resellers prices, it's simple: DON'T. If you refuse to wake up early and don't want to wait in line, have no inside connects, or refuse to do anything but leave your computer and hope that you get a pair off Eastbay (which you've failed the last 5 times), whose fault is it? This has nothing to do with the "last few months"....this has BEEN goin on. Also, if you're an avid collector, what better way to fuel your own habit? Yes, people that resell DO have jobs...where you think they got the money for them in the first place? But, why use money out of their check when they can provide a service and use the profit for that?

Truthfully I could really care less about resellers unless they directly affected me. I only had one instance where they directly affected me and i posted the story to that. I'm not mad for them making their money, its free money for getting shoes and if they have connects where their getting discounts on the stuff and they know what to buy then their maximzing their money.

I agree with the part about people failing to establish connects and only relying on eastbay to get their pairs then getting upset when they come up empty handed. I do feel bad for that mother who tried to cop her son the shoes he wanted for christmas/ or bday only to miss out because someone bought a bunch of pairs because she knows no better about the lines and hype for shoes, and i feel sorry for those who don't have the time to be out and about establishing connects because they work 40+ hours and have families of their own to take care of when their off work.

However alot of people are lazy though and want everything handed to them.  When i used to offer to help people out during footlocker 50% weekends in exchange for a small tip, I had dudes expecting me to help them for nothing in return. Why would I do that when I put the time and work in to establish my connects and get on good graces with them where their willing to go out of their way for me. Its the same way with most in demmand releases too, dudes will ask what places in their area have the stuff rather then put the work in themselves to call around and try and find their pair.

word.

Co-sign.  I couldn't have said it better!

^^^ I 2nd this... Many Positives have come of Resellin.. A Great Deal = Desired shoe copped @ price peeps can pay. Nothin More Nothin Less and THANKYOU too All Resellers for doin what you do!!! Buy What you like and You wont feel ripped off!! Goodluck coppin what your heart desires!

Originally Posted by Cedric Ceballos 1995 Lakers

I agree with the part about people failing to establish connects and only relying on eastbay to get their pairs then getting upset when they come up empty handed. I do feel bad for that mother who tried to cop her son the shoes he wanted for christmas/ or bday only to miss out because someone bought a bunch of pairs because she knows no better about the lines and hype for shoes, and i feel sorry for those who don't have the time to be out and about establishing connects because they work 40+ hours and have families of their own to take care of when their off work.

Man, honestly....I don't feel sorry for anybody. 

In the 2 situations you mentioned, these are my takes:

#1--If that particular kid wants a pair of Jordans, personally I've never seen a mother solely go by herself on a release date to get that pair of shoes. Either she has her son with her, or she gave him the money to get them himself. Either way, he should have SOME sort of clue on how releases generally go. If he doesn't, oh well...you live and you learn. We've ALL been thru it...

#2--As far as "working 40 hours a week" and havin families, I've got that...I've been married almost 3 years with 2 children: ages 3 & 6, and guess what? If I don't hustle, my family isn't taken care of, and THAT is MY motivation. So, personally...I make my moves in the morning, on my lunch break, after work...SOMETHIN, but I'm not gonna "tap out" because I have a job...that's just an excuse. If you want ANYTHING in this world bad enough, you won't stop until you make it happen.....and if you know you run a risk of paying $100 more on the same day a shoe releases to a reseller, then you need to get off your @%% and make it possible.  Hell, truth be told: my wife has waited in line WITH me, and has went and put money down on a pre-sell for multiple orders....she reaps the benefits, so she helps with my business.

I've called places so many times, they've recognized my voice...I've bribed managers, camped out in 20 degree weather, drained my bank account, sold some of my own stuff, etc.to make some moves, so I've got no sympathy for someone who isn't willing to take those measures. If I can do all that for multiple pairs WITH a wife, 2 kids, and a 40+ hr job, why can't they do that for ONE pair?!

First off, I don't resell. Secondly, there isnt anything wrong with making money. If your going to blame anyone, blame those who are willing to pay way above retail to get a pair of kicks. Personally, I try and only pay under retail  for anything nowadays.
smh.gif

Originally Posted by Cedric Ceballos 1995 Lakers

Man, honestly....I don't feel sorry for anybody. 

In the 2 situations you mentioned, these are my takes:

#1--If that particular kid wants a pair of Jordans, personally I've never seen a mother solely go by herself on a release date to get that pair of shoes. Either she has her son with her, or she gave him the money to get them himself. Either way, he should have SOME sort of clue on how releases generally go. If he doesn't, oh well...you live and you learn. We've ALL been thru it...

#2--As far as "working 40 hours a week" and havin families, I've got that...I've been married almost 3 years with 2 children: ages 3 & 6, and guess what? If I don't hustle, my family isn't taken care of, and THAT is MY motivation. So, personally...I make my moves in the morning, on my lunch break, after work...SOMETHIN, but I'm not gonna "tap out" because I have a job...that's just an excuse. If you want ANYTHING in this world bad enough, you won't stop until you make it happen.....and if you know you run a risk of paying $100 more on the same day a shoe releases to a reseller, then you need to get off your @%% and make it possible.  Hell, truth be told: my wife has waited in line WITH me, and has went and put money down on a pre-sell for multiple orders....she reaps the benefits, so she helps with my business.

I've called places so many times, they've recognized my voice...I've bribed managers, camped out in 20 degree weather, drained my bank account, sold some of my own stuff, etc.to make some moves, so I've got no sympathy for someone who isn't willing to take those measures. If I can do all that for multiple pairs WITH a wife, 2 kids, and a 40+ hr job, why can't they do that for ONE pair?!

I feel where your comming from but it shouldn't have to be all that stressful over some shoes. if the lady is trying to suprise her son with the shoes as a birthday present only to wait in line and have someone in front of her buy out all the pairs, it just isn't right.

The part about people having jobs and families, some of them their lifes don't revolve around shoes, if you have kids who play sports or have programs their in on a saturday, what are you going to do? camp for shoes or take your children to their programs. its not that serious to some people but why should they be punished because their not going to stop everything going on in their lives to camp out for a pair of shoes.

Believe me I don't like people who want stuff handed to them and want shoes but don't want to put the effort in to get them and expect some random stranger to go out of their way to help them (dealt with that to many times on here over the years
laugh.gif
) I also feel that if your going to collect shoes  and buy them on a regular basis you should attempt to establish hookups at your regular spots so that you don't have to worry about these problems.  All I'm saying is I have sympathy for those who really don't have no clue how these type of release go because there are people who really have no idea how they work.

But I don't blame you for getting your side money though, as long as theirs people that are willing to pay resale prices, you have a nice little side income comming in and no one can really knock you for that.    That being said the only time I ever paid over retail for some shoes was when I bought DS Concords and Space Jams last year for $200 picked up each
laugh.gif

I can understand where you are coming from Cameron, but what you are saying is more pre 2006.

The 2010 reseller is going out buying EVERY release, HOPING to make some sort of profit.

But after Ebay and Paypal fees, how much are you really making????

Nike and stores such as HOH have just recently caught on to this, well alteast here in the DMV.

Now shoes with a release date or ANY HOH release can not be returned.

I can remember people buying FSR's just to return half of them 2 weeks later.

The era of the reseller is over.

I have come the conclusion that if I can not go into a store and buy it, or have a friend or fellow NTer hook it up, I don't need it.

Originally Posted by lildawgryan

First off, I don't resell. Secondly, there isnt anything wrong with making money. If your going to blame anyone, blame those who are willing to pay way above retail to get a pair of kicks. 
word, and that includes the kids complaining
laugh.gif

cmoneymontanawrote:
The 2010 reseller is going out buying EVERY release, HOPING to makesome sort of profit.

agreed
I can remember people buying FSR's just to return half of them 2 weekslater.
d6b35c88e331bc2e3ffe9e0df8908a55380bc41.gif

8bf156e4b73b94fbf8d7838eef4e417cfa1068b.jpg

And to OP, if you want the resellers to stop, record yourself crying and host it on youtube, I promise a cease-buy for whatever release you choose
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I agree... I have a full time job.. but that doesn't stop me from monthly trips up to FLIGHTCLUB!
roll.gif

Also people on Niketalk resell all the time... perfect example.. you sell your 2nd pair of spacejams.. your not gonna let them go for retail... even if u did not plan on selling them to begin with.. you want close to $250 to $300 right???
Please.. don't judge me... 
wink.gif

Back
Top Bottom