Dear White People (Promotional Trailer)

Hes the type of black man that would love to have him some white slaves and get reparations for what happened to his ancestors.

How would you know, have you heard of seen Paul Mooney say such a thing?? 

then why the hell is Paul Mooney so damm racist.

Did you even listen to what Paul Mooney had to say in that piece??  By definition and by the way black people have conducted themselves here in America black people can't be racist.  It's really not even possible for various reasons.

Edit--  Nowitzness41, you seem like a nice guy for the most part, so I'll give you credit for that much.  I must say though, given some of your comments regarding race the last few weeks it does SEEM...........with the key word being "seem" like this movie would be made for someone like you.  That's not to say that's a bad thing however.  It's just that certain misconceptions need to be cleared up and this movie can help with that, depending on how the producer/producers goes about that in the movie.

I think being racist, relying on prejudice and believing is stereotypes are three concepts that are confused very often.

My beliefs about racism always were based on a position of power i.e. not being able to drink from a water fountain or move to a neighborhood because of your skin color being supported by official laws and documents.

Black folks generally don't have the power on a wide scale to affect another race like that. So it is definitely hard for me to say that black folks can be racist.

I DO believe that we can stereotype and show prejudice towards another group though. 

In fact everybody can and does, it's the Amercian Way.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Born Tuesday

I think being racist, relying on prejudice and believing is stereotypes are three concepts that are confused very often.

My beliefs about racism always were based on a position of power i.e. not being able to drink from a water fountain or move to a neighborhood because of your skin color being supported by official laws and documents.

Black folks generally don't have the power on a wide scale to affect another race like that. So it is definitely hard for me to say that black folks can be racist.

I DO believe that we can stereotype and show prejudice towards another group though. 

In fact everybody can and does, it's the Amercian Way.
laugh.gif
I swear I just typed up a similar response but didn't even want to incite a riot. 
The "blacks can be racists" tribe is still about to come in here in full force tho.

Prejudice...sure. 

Racist? Who exactly do we feel superior to?

I'm looking forward to this. It's really shedding light and challenging many points of view, from both ends of the spectrum. You have the:

"I'm white and I have a couple of black friends so that makes up for my subconscious racism" POV

and then you also have the:

"I'm black and proud, but also probably a bit oversensitive and also separatist as a result of my strong racial ardor" POV

However, you also hear in the trailer a theory that myself and many other people ascribe to: That true "equality" will be when we're able to be "bigger than black," and when we're allowed to be so. When there are no precedents, no expectations, when we don't have to TALK so much about it anymore. IMO, that's the goal, but there's just no clear way of getting there. If you gave me the option of forgetting about the struggles of my ancestors in order to achieve TRUE equality (equality where you wouldn't even SEE black or white) then please believe I'd do it in a heartbeat. Because that's what they fought for. They didn't fight for equality just so we could get some of it then look for revenge and wallow in bitterness. But I also know that there is still a LOT of racism out there, and because of that we can't be caught on our +*%!*, we have to be on our toes. In order to survive and progress, we must be aware of our surroundings and how people are perceiving us so that we may move forward with minimal resistance. And that is how this overly-sensitive, hostile nature is born. I don't have an answer... no one does. But I hope someday we DO find something.

Originally Posted by bruce negro

I'm looking forward to this. It's really shedding light and challenging many points of view, from both ends of the spectrum. You have the:

"I'm white and I have a couple of black friends so that makes up for my subconscious racism" POV

and then you also have the:

"I'm black and proud, but also probably a bit oversensitive and also separatist as a result of my strong racial ardor" POV

However, you also hear in the trailer a theory that myself and many other people ascribe to: That true "equality" will be when we're able to be "bigger than black," and when we're allowed to be so. When there are no precedents, no expectations, when we don't have to TALK so much about it anymore.
Out of all the POVs and everything in the trailer, this one intrigues me the most. It seems like it probably said by man who was going to write the profile of the BSU. The "torn" character so to speak. 

Originally Posted by Deuce King

Edit--  Nowitzness41, you seem like a nice guy for the most part, so I'll give you credit for that much.  I must say though, given some of your comments regarding race the last few weeks it does SEEM...........with the key word being "seem" like this movie would be made for someone like you.  That's not to say that's a bad thing however.  It's just that certain misconceptions need to be cleared up and this movie can help with that, depending on how the producer/producers goes about that in the movie.

Agreed. Nowitzness41 did you read what you just wrote??
Originally Posted by Nowitzness41

White people get that same treatment depending where they go
laugh.gif
srs? Cant be. Are you black? Cant be. 

Being black in America carries a negative stigma to white people, whether or not they choose to acknowledge or admit it. 

Our culture intimidates them plain and simple. As much progress we make they will still find a way to look down on us RS

Watch this ( I cant embed)

They didn't fight for equality just so we could get some of it then look for revenge and wallow in bitterness.

I agree wholeheartedly.

But just let me say that all of my conclusions and feelings are based on my upbringing and where I grew up, in south Dallas where 78% of my school was black- and then 11% hispanic and 11 white. I view myself as a realist when it comes to racial topics, because we had racist whites and blacks in my city, and then you had guys like me- who talk openly about things that everybody isnt comfortable discussing (with anybody and everybody, race never mattered to me).

Thanks for sharing that background insight on you.  Most people's view of race is developed early on depending on the neighborhood or environment that they are/were raised in.   

I just dont like the way Paul Mooney (and various others) portray things to be so one-dimensional. At this point, all sides play a part IMO.

Fair enough.  With that being said, Paul Mooney and others like him do come from and were raised in a different era where blacks LITERALLY couldn't eat or reside at certain locations.  He has seen all stages of racism from the 1950's on up close and personal. 

Doesn't look that entertaining from the trailer.

But that Ice T documentary looks cool as hell. Anyone know when it comes out?

I'm black, and idk about blacks being racist or prejudice or whatever, but I know the the Huey P Newton Foundation declared that the New Black Panther Party is a hate organization

Originally Posted by Jerome in the House

I'm black. To say Black people can't be racist is the stupidest think ive ever heard. Anyone can be racist....

What systematic structure do blacks have in place or have ever HAD in place to say blacks can be racist??

Originally Posted by Jking0821

Originally Posted by millionuppercuts

Do they not see they're doing exactly what they're making a movie about.
QFT.  By discussing all of these things your condemning the white community for stereo typing African Americans.  How are you doing that? By stereotyping the white community by saying we all think or say these things.

And sadly its like that Dave Chapelle scenario.  Is what your doing informative? Is it making light of racism? or is it subliminally instilling/driving home/encouraging black stereo types?
This.

Originally Posted by Jking0821

Originally Posted by millionuppercuts

Do they not see they're doing exactly what they're making a movie about.
QFT.  By discussing all of these things your condemning the white community for stereo typing African Americans.  How are you doing that? By stereotyping the white community by saying we all think or say these things.

And sadly its like that Dave Chapelle scenario.  Is what your doing informative? Is it making light of racism? or is it subliminally instilling/driving home/encouraging black stereo types?
yea I agree, but you can say the same thing about 'Do The Right Thing'. It was alot of play on ethnic stereotypes in that movie, but it was done well, thats the key....and I would much rather see something like this in theaters (or independent film/DVD release, this would neer be greenlighted by a major studio) than the b.s we see nowdays w/ "black movies".

"Dating a black person doesn't count if it pisses off your parents."

Why not?

If I date a black person, whether my parents like it or not, it can only help move race relations forward, no? So when I have kids and if they date black people I will be able to relate and it won't piss me off. Instead I should say to them "Well my parents didn't like me dating black people so I don't want you dating black people." My parents aren't going to be around forever. Why should we hold on to those old beliefs? I can't change the past but I can help shape the future. Or am I totally off base here?

This seems like one of those movies where the trailer will be better then the actual movie. Imo, the should be a short movie rather than a full length feature. I think the message will get across faster without losing its audience 30 minutes in.

i saw this a few days ago and thought it was a joke....

didn't know they were really looking for money to make it a full length film

Dear black people, get over this racism thing. Jesus, it's getting played out. And I hope this doesn't get produced or even thought about again.

Originally Posted by Too Steez

Dear black people, get over this racism thing. Jesus, it's getting played out. And I hope this doesn't get produced or even thought about again.

Clown

Originally Posted by Too Steez

Back
Top Bottom