Dear White People (Promotional Trailer)

Originally Posted by PLVN

Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman

Originally Posted by PLVN

This just looks like any other indie film to me...

What does this even mean? 
laugh.gif

What else could I mean?

It looks like the average independent film.

Though I'm just looking at it as a movie and not a starting point for a discussion on race.
I apologize 
embarassed.gif

meh I've been a black guy in a majority white enviroment for awhile now. I'm probably not the right kind of black because this doesnt seem interesting to me at all. I'm couldnt even finish the trailer it was so corny
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by FIREPOWER23

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

You completely missed the point there, no-one is denying that there is an inherent "white" societal racism against blacks/minorities that still exists today, but the clue is in the word institutionalized -these prejudices have been ingrained into society for many years as we all sadly know only too well. The point is that there is a big difference between institutionalized racism and personal racism. To say that black people are incapable of racism is naive at best.
What point did I completely miss? You were mocking Deuce and/or Paul Mooney by asking what systematic structure means and claiming it was just used to incite further arguments. Then you had the nerve to ask the names of such institutions that currently part take in racism that prevents black ppl from the same legal rights and freedoms everybody else has. FYI it's not just against black ppl.

I mean if you're well aware that exists today I don't know how you can then ask for examples of such as if they don't exist.

If ppl are talking about racism from the stand point of it being a tool of power that actively denies the rights of other "races" then yes black ppl among others are incapable of racism. In that context there is no personal racism unless you have the power to do the aforementioned. That don't mean they can't be prejudice, discriminate, and believe in stereotypes of other groups of ppl though.
That was my original point, you just articulated it better for me lol.
My argument against Deuce's post in the first place was that you cannot use "systematic structure" as the sole criteria for racism. And you can't use the excuse that "blacks cannot be racist" only because they do not have the inherent structure in place to oppress white people -personal prejudices come into play as well and blacks/minorities are just as capable of hatred, ignorance and naivety on a personal level as anyone else.
i think you have your definition of racism a bit confused

Racism, isn't a white guy beating up a black kid because he whistled at a white girl, like politicians and news media makes us believe, that is an act influenced by racism. Racism, by definition, is a system that proclaims that one race is superior to the other, thus one race has more access to wealth, power, education, rights etc, and maintains that advantage through the justice system and government.

So can black people be racist? It depends? Do we have a system that will protect us more than it will protect whites or other races if we commit a crime or an act against the laws of the United States of America

Interesting...

The message looks intriguing but I don't think 90 minutes would be necessary.

30 to 45 minutes would suffice IMO

What do y'all want them to do? Make it from all points of view as to not offend Whites by doing the same thing the movie is about? Too bad it seems it's supposed to be from a Black point of view. get over it. They're just making a point. This does happen and they are showing it.
Oh and I think the movie is mad corny looking, I was just saying. 

Originally Posted by AZwildcats

meh I've been a black guy in a majority white enviroment for awhile now. I'm probably not the right kind of black because this doesnt seem interesting to me at all. I'm couldnt even finish the trailer it was so corny
laugh.gif
same

I don't get the black people can't be racist thing. Racist is a title that you give an individual. If you guys are saying racism implies not only prejudice but power over someone, then how come black people who do have influence and power over people and institutions -- black senators, professors, CEOs, employers, Obama, etc -- can't be racist?

Originally Posted by LuckyP90

I don't get the black people can't be racist thing. Racist is a title that you give an individual. If you guys are saying racism implies not only prejudice but power over someone, then how come black people who do have influence and power over people and institutions -- black senators, professors, CEOs, employers, Obama, etc -- can't be racist?
a racist, by definition would be somebody that practices the doctrine that a certain race is superior to others, so that person would have to actively participate in the protection of the current racial hierarchy.   by definition, race was constructed, and is maintained by people in power. in america, this means wealthy white people.  a few individuals couldn't change the hierarchy.

30t6p3b.gif
i knew this thread was going to get derailed after watching this. i think general has about 3 or 4 threads on race in rotation
laugh.gif

as per the topic of the thread im sorta sure sorta unsure as to what their aiming at with this film. best way to judge is watch it i guess.

Originally Posted by laker4lifeman

Originally Posted by AZwildcats

laugh.gif
same

Bet a Birman million this is one of these situations
KettleCallingPotBlack.jpg

So can black people be racist?
laugh.gif

Dear White people, stop using stereotypes about us but we'll use stereotypes about you as our argument.  
laugh.gif

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]

^i wouldn't really call it stereotyping, its more like addressing (and satirizing) ignorance

Originally Posted by niquefreak94

What do y'all want them to do? Make it from all points of view as to not offend Whites by doing the same thing the movie is about? Too bad it seems it's supposed to be from a Black point of view. get over it. They're just making a point. This does happen and they are showing it.

Dudes get threatened by this and it's premise.A movie were black people are vocal and have strong viewpoints on white people makes them uncomfortable .Its the reason why Spike Lee is blackballed and hated venomously by a lot of white moviegoers.White people want to be viewed as tolerant cool and fun to get along with. it's like the one kid who wants folks to laughter at their jokes at the expense of other people and get mad and wants to fight when a person does it back.You all don't complain about the tower heist,the help,blindside or legendary.When it's time for magical negroes,super negroes or stepping fetch it's or mammys nobody says a damn word.Yet when black people are depicted as intelligent self aware and concious of the things going around them it's reverse racist .Lol y'all disgust me

Originally Posted by ThorrocksJs

Dudes get threatened by this and it's premise.A movie were black people are vocal and have strong viewpoints on white people makes them uncomfortable .Its the reason why Spike Lee is blackballed and hated venomously by a lot of white moviegoers.White people want to be viewed as tolerant cool and fun to get along with. it's like the one kid who wants folks to laughter at their jokes at the expense of other people and get mad and wants to fight when a person does it back.You all don't complain about the tower heist,the help,blindside or legendary.When it's time for magical negroes,super negroes or stepping fetch it's or mammys nobody says a damn word.Yet when black people are depicted as intelligent self aware and concious of the things going around them it's reverse racist .Lol y'all disgust me
SAMJACKSONCLAPPINGGIF.jpg.gif

clapping.gif

877fd27f_the_rock_clap_clap_gif.gif

meyer-clapping.gif

debates like this get so convoluted its hard to draw anything from them.

At this point in my life its hard for me to relate to the concepts the trailer presented

side note: main shorty is cold tho
wink.gif

Glory%20(1989)%20-%20THE%20TEAR.jpg

couldn't have said it better myself.

Originally Posted by bleach

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

What point did I completely miss? You were mocking Deuce and/or Paul Mooney by asking what systematic structure means and claiming it was just used to incite further arguments. Then you had the nerve to ask the names of such institutions that currently part take in racism that prevents black ppl from the same legal rights and freedoms everybody else has. FYI it's not just against black ppl.

I mean if you're well aware that exists today I don't know how you can then ask for examples of such as if they don't exist.

If ppl are talking about racism from the stand point of it being a tool of power that actively denies the rights of other "races" then yes black ppl among others are incapable of racism. In that context there is no personal racism unless you have the power to do the aforementioned. That don't mean they can't be prejudice, discriminate, and believe in stereotypes of other groups of ppl though.
My argument against Deuce's post in the first place was that you cannot use "systematic structure" as the sole criteria for racism. And you can't use the excuse that "blacks cannot be racist" only because they do not have the inherent structure in place to oppress white people -personal prejudices come into play as well and blacks/minorities are just as capable of hatred, ignorance and naivety on a personal level as anyone else.

Racism, isn't a white guy beating up a black kid because he whistled at a white girl, like politicians and news media makes us believe, that is an act influenced by racism. Racism, by definition, is a system that proclaims that one race is superior to the other, thus one race has more access to wealth, power, education, rights etc, and maintains that advantage through the justice system and government.

So can black people be racist? It depends? Do we have a system that will protect us more than it will protect whites or other races if we commit a crime or an act against the laws of the United States of America

I am not in the slightest bit confused about what racism is.
You have conveniently described one aspect of racism and one aspect only.
I'll again reiterate my point that I was not talking about institutionalized racism, but individual racism of which (by definition,) black people are just as capable of.

A black person can have an innate hatred of someone based solely on the color of their skin, just the same as anyone else can -a "system" by definition cannot be racist, only the people who create it can be.

Your definition HAS to apply to both parties, you can't absolve black people of it by stating that institutionalized/systematic racism by whites is the only one that counts.

Damn feel bad for white people. All these threads talking their racism, white privelage, and overall evil behavior.

You cats need to chill with this so called open discussion crap.

I will agree to everything you said verbatim, if you say that "A movie where white people are vocal and have strong viewpoints on black people makes them racist". It's cool, if you disagree, I know you're delusional.

Originally Posted by bleach

I am not in the slightest bit confused about what racism is.
You have conveniently described one aspect of racism and one aspect only.
I'll again reiterate my point that I was not talking about institutionalized racism, but individual racism of which (by definition,) black people are just as capable of.

A black person can have an innate hatred of someone based solely on the color of their skin, just the same as anyone else can -a "system" by definition cannot be racist, only the people who create it can be.

Your definition HAS to apply to both parties, you can't absolve black people of it by stating that institutionalized/systematic racism by whites is the only one that counts.
once again, you're confusing racism with racial prejudice.  racism is the concept of status with reference to race. 
simply, racism is prejudice + power

Back
Top Bottom