delete thread

I'm done arguering. Enjoy selling/trading in that vehicle in 5-8 years and seeing how much money you lost. Leasing is great for expensive cars. If you have a car under 20K is better to buy used cause anything under that price is simply garbage.

I'll enjoy it. After 8 years, my 2013 V6 Honda Accord that I paid a total of $30K including financing charges will probably be worth $8-10K on trade in. So after 8 years, I'll have lost about $22K. :smokin

Best case scenario.

In 8 years I want to enjoy the technological advances and comfort that 8 years will have to offer.

Last edited:
You don't always come ahead by buying over leasing when it comes to new vehicles. Example - I leased a 2012 Subaru Legacy at $1000 down with $230 out the door. I had the money to finance it or even buy it outright but wanted to lease it as I wanted to keep my money in stocks. Fast forward to 3 years down the road when the lease is up. In total, I spent $9230 total which is consistent with the depreciation of the vehicle had I owned it. All maintenance is covered so I didn't spend a penny on oil change or anything. I kept my money in stocks and down jones went up 6000 points between 2012 Feb and 2015 Feb. A brand new Subaru Legacy is about $25k OTD. Say I had 50% of the downpayment which I could've used on the downpayment to buy the vehicle but put it in the market instead. I would've came up $12.5k x 1.333 = $16.6k and would've came ahead $4.1k. When I am done with the lease, I can take all this money and buy the vehicle at a lower tax rate instead of the full $25k.

Lesson is, finance is good but only on an appreciating asset. Try to avoid financing a depreciating asset unless you can lower the price.

Last edited:
You don't always come ahead by buying over leasing when it comes to new vehicles. Example - I leased a 2012 Subaru Legacy at $1000 down with $230 out the door. I had the money to finance it or even buy it outright but wanted to lease it as I wanted to keep my money in stocks. Fast forward to 3 years down the road when the lease is up. In total, I spent $9230 total which is consistent with the depreciation of the vehicle had I owned it. All maintenance is covered so I didn't spend a penny on oil change or anything. I kept my money in stocks and down jones went up 6000 points between 2012 Feb and 2015 Feb. A brand new Subaru Legacy is about $25k OTD. Say I had 50% of the downpayment which I could've used on the downpayment to buy the vehicle but put it in the market instead. I would've came up $12.5k x 1.333 = $16.6k and would've came ahead $4.1k. When I am done with the lease, I can take all this money and buy the vehicle at a lower tax rate instead of the full $25k.

Lesson is, finance is good but only on an appreciating asset. Try to avoid financing a depreciating asset unless you can lower the price.

Lol. Don't even bother. They are just going to reply saying if you going to ride the bus after 3 years.

Last edited:
Mannnn this thread got me considering some things . I've been going back and forth between whether I should lease or not.

I have an Altima now, and I'm getting rid of that soon. I plan on getting my hands on a 2013 whip (essentially a BMW, hopefully an Audi, Lexus is my last resort)

But on the other hand, I have great credit and I can always lease.. But do I really wanna get rid of a car that I OWN just to get a car that I might lease for 3 years? (Another thing is that I don't like the 10k mileage limit on leases...I roll dolo from state to state)

BUT THEN AGAIN
If I do end up financing a car, chances are that I'm gonna get tired of it after 3 years, just like I did with my Altima. I had that for 3 and a half years so far

I don't even know what to do at this point

I love the idea of having a new whip every 3 years
I don't like the mileage limit
And I don't plan on making any changes to my car other than tint and rims
And 9 times outta 10...if I finance, I'm gonna go with the 60 month term at minimum to drop dem payments

Last edited:

If your pro of leasing is putting your money in the stock market, you can still do the same by financing as long as you have good credit. You heard of "sign and drive" right?

If your pro of leasing is putting your money in the stock market, you can still do the same by financing as long as you have good credit. You heard of "sign and drive" right?

But monthly payments would be a lot higher in a finance.
That leaves less liquid to play with resulting in lower gains.

Life happens.
OP owned his cars, what good did that do him?

I need opinions:

Lets say I want an Altima. Is it better to buy a used one for 10k (my budget if buying outright), which off the top of my head would be 2010'ish with 75,000 miles'ish? Or lease a brand new one for 3 years for essentially the same price ($250'ish a month).

On one hand, after 3 years I'll still have a car I own that I could sell for a few grand or keep driving but one I'll have to maintain out of pocket. On the other, after 3 years of driving a new car I'll be left with nothing but won't have to pay to maintain it during the tenure. 

At first I was all about buying a car because of the ownership aspect and not having to make payments but leasing really seems like the smarter move in this particular scenario. Thoughts?

75,000 miles is heavy. My car is an 07 and I have around 30,000 on it
laugh.gif
I mean, 10k wont get you low mileage for a decent car like an Altima. Maybe a salvaged one but I want no parts of that. I actually expect people to tell me I'm dreaming if I think I can find a 2010ish Altima with such low mileage for just 10k but I'm just approximating

Mannnn this thread got me considering some things . I've been going back and forth between whether I should lease or not.

I have an Altima now, and I'm getting rid of that soon. I plan on getting my hands on a 2013 whip (essentially a BMW, hopefully an Audi, Lexus is my last resort)

But on the other hand, I have great credit and I can always lease.. But do I really wanna get rid of a car that I OWN just to get a car that I might lease for 3 years? (Another thing is that I don't like the 10k mileage limit on leases...I roll dolo from state to state)

BUT THEN AGAIN
If I do end up financing a car, chances are that I'm gonna get tired of it after 3 years, just like I did with my Altima. I had that for 3 and a half years so far

I don't even know what to do at this point

I love the idea of having a new whip every 3 years
I don't like the mileage limit
And I don't plan on making any changes to my car other than tint and rims
And 9 times outta 10...if I finance, I'm gonna go with the 60 month term at minimum to drop dem payments

Not to mention I like the whole warranty idea

I need opinions:

Lets say I want an Altima. Is it better to buy a used one for 10k (my budget if buying outright), which off the top of my head would be 2010'ish with 75,000 miles'ish? Or lease a brand new one for 3 years for essentially the same price ($250'ish a month).

On one hand, after 3 years I'll still have a car I own that I could sell for a few grand or keep driving but one I'll have to maintain out of pocket. On the other, after 3 years of driving a new car I'll be left with nothing but won't have to pay to maintain it during the tenure. 

At first I was all about buying a car because of the ownership aspect and not having to make payments but leasing really seems like the smarter move in this particular scenario. Thoughts?

For something like that I'd probably lease. You can lease an altima for under $200 a month with 2k at signing.

dudes really in here arguing over sum advice their bum pops gave them back in the day.  

dudes really in here arguing over sum advice their bum pops gave them back in the day.  

Bum pops? You don't even know anyone financial status here or their family. Lol typical ignorant response. Theres people here who are great financially so for you to say a comment like that shows how uneducated you are.

Bum pops? You don't even know anyone financial status here or their family. Lol typical ignorant response. Theres people here who are great financially so for you to say a comment like that shows how uneducated you are.
roll.gif
 if the shoe fits wear it I guess.  I wasn't speaking to anyone specifically, but ok. 

I need opinions:

im a pro-lease guy.

but it seems like youre on a budget for a car you'll keep for a while, so i'd recommend buying/financing

You goofed buying a car new. Never buy a vehicle new you will always lose in the long term. In 4-5 years the value would be 60-70% down. Like my father always told me, buy used or lease a new vehicle. That way you return your investment and don't end up losing over 15-20K in value.

Somebody got to buy the news cars. If he got money,he don't care

Back
Top Bottom