Delete

How Many Games Will The Lakers Win With Mike D'Antoni?

• 40-49...They're Going To Get Worse

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-59...Good Enough For A Solid Seed, Not Too Shabby

• 60-65...Top Seed and Impressive Record, Thumbs Up

• 66-70...Scary Good, All Teams Are Now Officially Scared

• 71+...Might As Well Cancel The Playoffs

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Funny thing is, when Dwight was being "used properly" in Orlando they were playing in a D'Antoni type system.

If you had read the entire post, I said WITH this current roster, he isn't a good fit. In Orlando they had shooters galore around Dwight so it worked effectively. We do not have that in LA, we have two 7 footers that D'Antoni doesn't know how to use cohesively and a ball dominant SG when Kobe was there. This team isn't tailored to his strengths offensively as a coach so why keep him around? So to reiterate either A. Overhaul the roster this summer and get shooters if D'Antoni is going to stay or B. Get rid of his clown *** and bring in a coach that will use the people we have and cater to pounding the ball down low.

What's funny is that Gerald Wallace said he had no idea what his role is with the Nets....

I feel that many players on the Lakers have no idea as well.

Earl Smith Jr. took less money to sign with the Knicks this past offseason over us. Sigh he's a knucklehead but man the tutelage that Mamba could have provided him and spark off the bench we could have had...dah well.

Funny thing is, when Dwight was being "used properly" in Orlando they were playing in a D'Antoni type system.
If you had read the entire post, I said WITH this current roster, he isn't a good fit. In Orlando they had shooters galore around Dwight so it worked effectively. We do not have that in LA, we have two 7 footers that D'Antoni doesn't know how to use cohesively and a ball dominant SG when Kobe was there. This team isn't tailored to his strengths offensively as a coach so why keep him around? So to reiterate either A. Overhaul the roster this summer and get shooters if D'Antoni is going to stay or B. Get rid of his clown *** and bring in a coach that will use the people we have and cater to pounding the ball down low.
All offensive systems require a balance between outside shooting and some form of inside play in order to be effective, so this is not something that strictly limited to the D'Antoni and the spread offense. Regardless, the Lakers still finished near the top of the league in points per game and top 10 in offensive efficiency. So I'm not really concerned about the offense, nor do I think MOAR POST PLAY is going to somehow magically translate into more victories either. They're just an average to below average defensive team, and because of the obvious age/lack of team speed I don't think that there's anything that any coach could do about that.

BTW, not to revisit all the things that went wrong roster-wise this season, but the Lakers also won 56% of games played while being led by D'Antoni. So I don't think it's the end of the world if he's brought back next season. I'm sure a lot of what happens depends on Dwight's input because of his pending free agency. What I suspect happens is MDA comes back and finishes out next season. He isn't getting an extension after this current deal is up, so he'll get canned next summer and the Lakers start 2014 with a new coach and roster fully built around Dwight.

[h1]Injuries--not the coach or front office--are what's killed the 2012-2013 Los Angeles Lakers (semi-long read)[/h1]
http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/...r-front-office-are-whats-killed-the-2012-2013
In early January, the Los Angeles Lakers went through an almost unthinkable wave of injuries. Within a two-game span, the team's entire big man rotation crumbled with a laundry list of various maladies; Dwight Howard with a torn labrum in his right shoulder, Pau Gasol with a brutal concussion after an errant JaVale McGee elbow and reserve Jordan Hill with a torn labrum in his left hip. At the time, it was frankly implausible that this could happen all at once. The Lakers had already been snake bitten all season long, with Steve Nash, Steve Blake and Gasol missing huge chunks of games with various injuries. The thought of one star going down was devastating enough--but a coach's entire front court getting hurt? All in a 48-hour period? Ridiculous.

And then it happened again.

During Game 2 in the opening round of the playoffs against the San Antonio Spurs, Mike D'Antoni's back court rotation cratered with various physical problems. In addition to Kobe Bryant (ruptured left Achilles tendon) and Jodie Meeks (sprained left ankle) being on the shelf in the past week, Steve Blake strained his hamstring, while Steve Nash aggravated an already painful nerve irritation affecting his back, hip and hamstring. Blake has already been ruled out for tonight's game, while Nash and Meeks are listed as doubtful. It appears that much like that fateful 48 hour period in early January, what remains of an already fragile Lakers guards corps has gone down in 3 short days.

The odds of this happening once, let alone twice is of course, astronomical. With the exception of Antawn Jamison (who has been playing through a painful tear in his right wrist) and Earl Clark (who only began to play during the aforementioned January apocalypse on any man 6'11" and above), every single Lakers rotation player has missed time with injury, almost all of them serious health concerns. To punch the point home, let's go to the tape:

Steve Nash: Missed 32 games (Hip/back/hamstring: 8 games, fractured right fibula: 24 games)

Steve Blake: Missed 37 games (Torn abdominal muscle: 37 games, strained right hamstring: 0 games, but out for tonight's game)

Pau Gasol: Missed 33 games (Tendinitis both knees: 8 games, concussion: 5 games, right plantar fascia tear: 20 games)

Jordan Hill: Missed 53 games (Torn labrum/damaged cartilage left hip: 53 games)

Dwight Howard: Missed 6 games (Torn labrum right shoulder: 6 games)

Metta World Peace: Missed 6 games (Right torn meniscus: 6 games)

Kobe Bryant: Missed 6 games (Left ankle sprain: 2 games, ruptured left Achilles tendon: 4 games)

Jodie Meeks: Missed 0 games (Left ankle sprain: 0 games, but expected to miss tonight's contest)

That is a combined 171 games, and according to Lakers reporter Mike Trudell, 81 games for the starters. Even this docket doesn't cover the injuries in its entirety: Dwight Howard has played through recovery from back surgery, Gasol competed with knee tendinitis for weeks in first couple of months and Jamison has gutted through a wrist injury that will need offseason surgery. The vaunted Bryant-Howard-Gasol-Nash-World Peace core has started together roughly half the number of games (19) than they have combined All-Star appearances (35). In those games, the Lakers went 6-13, an unimaginable record considering the type of talent on the court, but completely understandable with the surrounding circumstances. Head trainer Gary Vitti has said that he's never seen anything injury situation like this before, with so many key players going down with such serious issues.

Every single facet of LA's attack has been affected by these injuries, whether it be their offense (Nash, Kobe, Pau), defense (Howard, Hill, MWP), bench production (Hill, Blake), rebounding (Howard, Hill, Pau) or passing (Nash, Pau). For those keeping track at home, that list comprises every motion the sport of basketball.This isn't to say that it's just a question of age--Hill (25), Meeks (25) and Howard (27) have missed just as much time as Nash (39), Bryant (34), Gasol (32), World Peace (33) and Blake (32). Yes, the Lakers front office had to know the risks in trading for Dwight fresh off of back surgery, a nearly 40 year-old Nash and keeping Bryant and Gasol with so many playoff minutes wearing on their joints. But many of these injuries were completely random occurrences (Nash's broken leg, Meeks' ankle, Kobe's Achilles tendon, Howard's shoulder), while yes, others were consequences of wear and tear (Nash's hip/hamstring, Blake's hamstring, MWP's knee). Still, I would argue that the Lakers have been less vulnerable to the ravages of age that has affected the New York Knicks, whose 37 years+ club of Jason Kidd, Rasheed Wallace, Kurt Thomas and Marcus Camby have all missed massive amounts of time with "old man injuries".

But even more than that, the Lakers simply haven't been able to put together any type of momentum or chemistry without another injury batting it down, like a petulant five year-old bowling through a house of cards. Just as the team had learned to play without Dwight Howard in early February, Pau Gasol tore his plantar fascia in Brooklyn. Kobe Bryant had been pushing himself past the brink of exhaustion, resuscitating the dying Lakers offense seen the past two games in San Antonio. As the team had won six of seven games, he ruptures his Achilles tendon, all but extinguishing what little hope the Lakers had as a dark horse Western Conference Finals team. One and a half games into the season, Damian Lillard accidentally nails Steve Nash in the sweet spot on his right leg, fracturing his fibula and sabotaging what could have been a nascent basketball giant. From Week 1, the Lakers haven't caught a break.

It's not just the departures that have hurt the Lakers--it's also the returns. Unlike other coaches that have regimented systems in which one player can simply fill in for another (i.e. Tom Thibodeau's Chicago Bulls, Doc Rivers' Boston Celtics), LA's pieces are uniquely talented entities that couldn't be replaced no matter who was sitting on the bench behind them. Howard, Gasol, Nash and Bryant all command much effort from their teammates to provide complimentary play. The massive adjustments needed to accommodate their distinctive games has set the Lakers back further than they already had been--after all, the entire premise of these five All-Stars starting together was a massive adjustment itself, let alone the addition and subtraction of one of them seemingly every three weeks. Where they each want the ball, how they react on defense, the speed at which each player runs the court, reacting to subtle movements between each other...the list goes on and on. None of that continuity could be built without long periods of time together on the court, no matter how great the players, how smart the head coach or how brilliant the front office.

Take the 2010-2011 Miami Heat, for example. They went through the season relatively unscathed, finishing 58-24 behind neither LeBron James, Dwyane Wade nor Chris Bosh missing more than 14 games between the three of them. Even with their excellent health record, youth, combined greatness, coach Erik Spoelstra (considered one of the smartest coaches in the game) and team president Pat Riley (one of the greatest front office maestros of all-time), the Heat still couldn't win the NBA title.

The 2012-2013 Los Angeles Lakers, with all their injuries, could not have contended for a NBA championship, no matter who coached the team or who sat up in the front office. These injuries have crippled the team beyond repair, setting into effect a domino chain of calamities. Before the season, we here at Silver Screen & Roll were most concerned about injury and chemistry issues derailing a potential title contender. Turns out that the 171 missed games from seven primary rotation players, all spread out throughout the season and leaving no part of the team unaffected, fulfilled both doomsday scenarios.

These Lakers were a wide color palette, dotted with varying hues and tones. Put together, they could make up the next "Starry Night"--a complex canvas with potential for aesthetic disaster, but together makes an unparalleled work of art. Instead, Lakers Nation got a finger painting in which the colors all bled together to form a crude, brown semblance of a masterpiece. It may be true that Mike D'Antoni isn't a world-class painter with the ability to throw all these very diverse elements together and build something that will stand the test of time. He very well could deserve every bit of criticism hurled his way. However, even if MDA isn't the right man going forward, looking into what's already unfolded, he has to be given a great deal of leeway considering the incredibly difficult hand he's been dealt. There's a lot of disparage about the moustachioed menace, but he's seen his starting five play together a mere 18 times, even less with his key bench players. No coach--not even John Wooden with a staff of Phil Jackson, Red Auerbach and Pat Riley by his side--could have managed this team with these circumstances to contention. In many ways, this 45-win behemoth plodding their way to a potential first round sweeping is actually an impressive feat. Without Kobe Bryant's brilliance and Dwight Howard's late season resurgence, should this team have won more than 33 of its contests?

There's been a lot to complain about this year about the Lakers, but the lion's share belongs to simple misfortune. The front office has made some questionable decisions, which in turn has given fans a controversial coach, but the swarm of injuries have changed their grades from a "fail" in bright red marker to a very nebulous "incomplete". Going into next season, Mike D'Antoni, Jim Buss, Pau Gasol or whoever the target of the week is could be primarily responsible for the Lakers downfall. But for the past seven months, it's just been thunderbolt after thunderbolt of bad luck. Save your venom, friends. It's not the time, nor the place.

Zero way to accurately critique MDA this season when he couldn't get 3 games with a full roster.

Every single week had various injuries, even before he was coach. He came into the roster with Nash and Blake out, with Dwight and Pau ailing.

As they come back, Hill goes down, Ron, Jamison banged up and eventually Kobe.

Now everyone is done.

Thru that. He scrapped his own system, played to whatever we had on the roster, kept the team fighting thru every single injury against crazy odds just to make the postseason as a 7 seed when at one point we were a 13 seed in the West, thru all those injuries.......iono. Seems like he's done a decent job. Not great, but decent. He's made mistakes, sure, but he's helped A TON more than Brown did. A TON.

Screw all that talk tho, we can win this series. Protect our HC, try to get Meeks back, get Blake and Nash healthy, work Hill into shape, get Goudelock some shots off the Spurs collapsing. We can get deep into this series and try to steal it. Protect HC, bottom line.

I'll blame D'Antoni, thank you very much.

Edit:

@Caplan_NBA LAL's Andrew Goudelock, D-Lg MVP, on guarding Tony Parker tonight: "He’s got to guard me too so I'm not really worried about Tony Parker."

:pimp: :rofl: :rofl:

Last edited:
laugh.gif

I'm hoping for a good game tonight, but I wouldn't put any money on it. And I mean that literally...turned down the chance to buy some discounted tix for tonight's game.
embarassed.gif

If we're not using his system then I don't see the point.

Can't use his system if all your pieces are in and out everyday.

Give him an off-season + training camp to get everyone straight, and hopefully about 100 less missed games and he can use it more. Plus add a shooter or two when we trade Pau.

:lol:

I'm hoping for a good game tonight, but I wouldn't put any money on it. And I mean that literally...turned down the chance to buy some discounted tix for tonight's game. :wow:

Same here. But IF we do win tonight, I'm planning on being there Sunday.

Although things aren't looking very good right now I'm still rockin' with my Lakeshow until the final buzzer goes off in the 4th game lost in a series. Let's get this W and who the hell knows what could happen.

"It feels good to be in the 2nd round" ring a bell? Hopefully that McGrady never making it out of the 1st round curse continues :lol:

Over/under 10 times the camera cuts to Kobe on the bench tonight?

You guys need a bomb squad in the series thread. That joint is pathetic. :lol:

I'm gonna start workin on my second and third and fourth SN's to make NT a better place.

Lol how are people defending dantoni?! Are you guys for real?

So a 7-man rotation in the thick of a playoff hunt at the end of the year is standard among NBA teams now huh? that's just a coincidence that everyone broke down before and during the playoffs?

Popovich has made it happen year after year with an aging roster as well. Nobody can sit there with straight face and tell me that the injuries weren't caused by Dantoni's absolute lack of consideration for this team's age.

Dantoni an imbecile, a mental ****** of the head coaching position.

I'm at a loss of words that people took my words into such a different context.

No one says MDA killed our chances of winning in the playoffs.
ITS OBVIOUSLY INJURIES.

All i'm saying is he isnt an IMPRESSIVE COACH.

How are you gonna sit there with a straight face and say that someone who has no defensive philosophy, is stubborn as a mule, has short rotations pushing players to play more minutes than they should be playing, has absolutely NO SYSTEM running right now... has given up on his system, and told his team to just go out there and play loosely... is an IMPRESSIVE COACH.

HE ISNT COACHING FOR GODSAKE. THERE IS NO SYSTEM RIGHT NOW. Even when Kobe and Pau were healthy, it was the Kobe show. He was the coach. He told Pau to stop listening to D'Antoni and go to the post.

HE TOLD HIS PLAYERS TO STOP LISTENING TO THE COACH, LITERALLY.
AND THATS A SIGN OF A RESPECTABLE COACH?

And youre going to sit here and say that none of our losses this season are his fault, its all injuries.
Hes not to blame for anything!?

He completely KILLED that Knicks team, with horrible rotations, horrible minute distribution, horrible 'system' placement...he left and they instantly became better...

But he should be given a pass here for doing the same ****?

:rofl: MAN... ALRIGHT.

Wow. A coach that isnt even being listened to, deserves to stay our headcoach.

Blame injuries all you want, i know they were the death of us.
But nothing he has done has helped us win basketball games.
The record we had was a combination of Kobe and Dwight, with a little bit of Pau when he was healthy.
That is it. NOt because of MDA coaching...because of KOBE, and DWIGHT.

Im shocked man...you guys are the same dudes who have been criticizing his minute distribution and laughing at his inability to get Pau in the post, and get the team to play any sort of transition defense... and now you wanna defend him and say he didnt have a training camp? really?

Look at the old *** spurs team, they have plenty of injuries and age related issues, but they still have no problem getting back on defense.
I suppose they just magically get back on defense huh? nothing to do with coaching?

smh man... SMFH :smh:

Yeah im mad. Call me irrational all you want, you guys called for Mike Browns head because he looked like an idiot out there... yet the most idiotic looking coach on the sidelines in the league deserves a pass?

Dudes in here be flip flopping depending on what week it is. One week its team fire MDA. Next its team give MDA a chance. Back and forth, back and forth. :smh:

Last edited:
I'm not backing him, I'm saying you can't eval him over this season.

He absolutely has issues, he also changed a lot of how the game is played. People need to understand that. Greg Pop adopted MIKE'S system. Do you guys get that?

I don't want to give him a 10 year deal, but we can't put THIS year on him.

I'm not backing him, I'm saying you can't eval him over this season.

He absolutely has issues, he also changed a lot of how the game is played. People need to understand that. Greg Pop adopted MIKE'S system. Do you guys get that?

I don't want to give him a 10 year deal, but we can't put THIS year on him.

But thats the thing.
Im not putting the end result of this year on him.
It's obviously the injuries that ended our chances, even Stevie Wonder could see that.

All im saying is, for a man with a reputation of being an offensive genius, he hasn't done much to impress me this year.
And if he is able to use his coaching skills to pull out a victory or two this series (which I KNOW is unlikely), it'll change my opinion about him A LITTLE BIT and say okay...i see you Mike, I see the potential for next season.

That's all i was saying.

Show me something. Is that really too much to ask of the coach of the Los Angeles Lakers? Just show me something.
You ain't gonna win this series, you aint gonna win 3 games, most likely not even 2.

But figure out a way to win just 1 game for me...and i'll start to better understand why you even got this job to begin with.

I dont see how that was so unfair to say. It's not asking for miracles for your favorite professional sports team to figure out a way of playing 48 minutes of winning basketball, just one time. We still have Dwight and we still have Pau. Feed them, dish it out, make some shots, and get back on defense...and MAYBE, we'll keep it close enough to pull out a W at home. Likely? Probably not...but maybe. Just show me something. :smh:

Last edited:
No way I would want D'antoni back for one main reason, his style of system doesn't fit our players and his style of system isn't a winning style.

He doesn't know how to coach defense or run an offense through his bigs.

We have 1 main big in Dwight Howard, and most likely we'll have Pau Gasol back (no trade is going to be worth it at this point) and an aging and horrible shooting team, this is not the team MDA needs.

He should go to Minny or Houston a team that can play an uptempo game, these Lakers aren't that team.

He's not a horrible coach and this season isn't his fault completely, but his disdain of playing certain players, and his lack of defensive schemes, and his initial stubbornness to play a slowed down game is what did him in. And quite frankly I doubt the players respect him, I doubt Dwight does, and I doubt Kobe does neither, no way Pau can respect him with him shuffling him in and out of the starting line up. Those 3 players are your leaders, how are you going to coach when most likely these players don't even respect your game plan.

I don't know who our next coach should be, I know i'd like to bring back PJ, but that would be a long shot. Why not bring back Brian Shaw, he knows defense and grew up with this team, he would be great. Byron Scott as well, I know he does well with the PG position, but he also knows Kobe and this team well. Even Adelmen if he leaves would be a decent pick up, I just don't think MDA is right for this team, he never was.

What're most people's thoughts on whether or not the Lakers gave MikeBrown a fair shot?

Maybe he wasn't given a fair shot at coaching a whole season with us, but the terrible, terrible play the team put out there while he was here with us was mind-boggling. The man seemed to have zero composure and demanded little to no respect. Not the answer for a team full of vets whose personalities need managing.

Back
Top Bottom