Delete

How Many Games Will The Lakers Win With Mike D'Antoni?

• 40-49...They're Going To Get Worse

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-59...Good Enough For A Solid Seed, Not Too Shabby

• 60-65...Top Seed and Impressive Record, Thumbs Up

• 66-70...Scary Good, All Teams Are Now Officially Scared

• 71+...Might As Well Cancel The Playoffs

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
now it really looks stupid that the lakers didnt sign barbosa when they could have. son would have had a chubby for days playing for antoni again...

something needs to be done though about the bench.

duhon played for antoni before correct? if i remember in the begining he was playing really well for antoni in new york but then something happend.

time for jamison to play the role of tim thomas...

no thank you to josh howard and french jordan

lol @ japanair go get that troy murphy jersey.

Barbosa :(

Duhon was decent in 08-09. I'd rather not find out if he can '12-'13. :lol Morris is starting to look better. Let's see if he keeps it up.. I like his game a little bit more than Duhon's for Mike and way more than Blake's

Bench is decent with Meeks & Hill.. Assuming Meeks snaps out of it with a offense he can savage on...

Jamison has a month from when D'Antoni starts, all I want is 8 points per game, not asking for much from a guy who is supposed to be our #1 bench scorer. If he doesn't pick it up, time to move on and look to trade for a backup PG or SF through a grouping of expiring...

If Pietrus was in 3 years ago form I'd be find with it.. But last playoffs he was awful.. But seeing as how Ebanks is pretty much done for, we might as well... And if he sucks as well, use as another expiring.

Last edited:
Duhon looked like an all star for half of the first season. Then fell off the face of the earth.

Mike D'Antoni surprised to get job

Mike D'Antoni apparently was just as surprised to get the Los Angeles Lakers' coaching job as Phil Jackson was that he didn't get it.

D'Antoni told the New York Daily News that he assumed, like most everybody else, that Jackson was a lock to return to the franchise as Mike Brown's replacement. Brown was fired after the Lakers stumbled badly out of the gate while struggling to learn his Princeton-inflected offense and playing mediocre defense.

"Sure I did," the former Suns and Knicks coach told the newspaper. "For sure I did. Didn't everybody? When I got the call that it was me, my first reaction was, 'Are you serious?'"

A league source told ESPN.com that D'Antoni received a three-year deal worth $12 million with a club option for a fourth year. D'Antoni's agent Warren LeGarie confirmed the deal late Sunday night, several hours after the Lakers beat Sacramento 103-90 for their second straight win under interim coach Bernie Bickerstaff.

The Lakers plan to hold a news conference sometime this week. In a statement released by the team, Lakers spokesperson John Black said team owner Jerry Buss, executive vice president Jim Buss and general manager Mitch Kupchak were "unanimous that D'Antoni was the best coach for the team at this time."

Jackson said he told Kupchak and Buss that he had "confidence that (he) could do the job" when he met with them Saturday to talk about the position. Jackson then left the meeting with a handshake and understanding "that (he) would have until Monday to come back to them with (his) decision."

Jackson was prepared to return to the Lakers on Monday morning if negotiations between his agent and the team went well, a league source told ESPN late Sunday night. But before he could do so, Jackson said Kupchak woke him around midnight on Sunday by phone to tell him the team had instead signed D'Antoni.

"The decision is of course theirs to make," Jackson said in a statement. "I am gratified by the groundswell of support from the Laker Fans who endorsed my return and it is the principal reason why I considered the possibility."

D'Antoni said he was excited to be reunited with point guard Steve Nash, who he coached in Phoenix for five seasons. Nash won back-to-back NBA MVP awards (2004-05, 2005-06) running D'Antoni's signature up-tempo offense, and they won at least 54 games in each of D'Antoni's last four seasons.

"To get one more chance to have him run the thing the way he did for me before (in Phoenix), well, that's the kind of thing you never think is going to happen. But now it has," D'Antoni told the Daily News.

D'Antoni coached the Knicks for the past four seasons, resigning last March after a largely unsuccessful tenure featuring just one playoff appearance and no postseason victories.

D'Antoni said he considered himself "lucky or even blessed" to get the opportunity to coach the Lakers.

"I like this team," D'Antoni told the newspaper. "We're good, and we're gonna get better."

Kobe Bryant, in a Facebook message he posted just after midnight Tuesday, said he couldn't wait to play for D'Antoni.

"It's been a wild week to say the least," he wrote. I'm happy to have closure and can't wait to get to work with Coach D'Antoni.. spacing, ball movement. And despite the chatter, I believe we will be phenomenal defensively. I'm looking forward to getting started with him and his staff this week. Mamba out."

Lakers forward Antawn Jamison, a veteran of 14 NBA seasons who joined the club this season as a free agent, also is looking forward to playing for D'Antoni, though the described the last few days around the team as "a zoo."

"One thing I like about this team is that we have a lot of veteran guys who have been through turmoil before," Jamison told The Los Angeles Times. "We should be able adjust to this as quickly as possible and really concentrate on the most important thing, which is winning basketball games.

"Once I signed here I got the go-ahead that things are going to be a little bit crazier than I'm used to. I dealt with LeBron (James) leaving Cleveland; guys bringing firearms into the locker room (in Washington) ... I'm used to turmoil a little bit."

:{ Story just has Jim Buss's clown activity all over it. If Phil was never a candidate, wouldn't be so against this hire, but the fact that it was his job to turn down and they took that option out of his hands for seemingly no reason as both sides now seem to be acknowledging now is just asinine to me.

Did anyone know that Kobe wore #8 because that's what D'Antoni's # was in the Italian league?

Last edited:
But what's done is done. He's a Laker now, hopefully he can bring aboard some defensive coach and tailor and tweak his system to fit the personnel currently on this team, if he does I'll be all aboard. But I don't want another Mike Brown. Can't do it.

It is very possible that Mr. Morris could turn into a pretty decent young PG under D'Antoni if Mike takes an interest in him.

The kid has already shown that he's worked pretty hard on his shot, and he loves that corner 3, same as Blake does.

If Mike works with him, alot, maybe we'll get a younger set of legs that can play a lil bit, help us out when we face speedy PG's every night.

Kid was useless under Mike Brown, buried at the end of the bench during the ******g preseason, now we have hope. (at least offensively to start)

Get Glock back too please.

And I am a Pietrus fan, I loved him from 08, not the same now obviously, but he knows Dwight, played in Phoenix with Nash, he could fit that extra wing spot if Ebanks gets cut for his DUI.
Damn it Ebanks. You could thrive in this offense as well, nothing but open jumpers and maybe some running.

That year we wasted last year with MB, and those young kids just sitting on their ***** all year long doing nothing, now it costs us even more. Extra PT and they'd be in better shape for their future. :{

How will dantoni utilize the post? 8o

Kobe iso's in the post are our best bet. :lol :\

My guess would be when Nash is out, Blake and Morris aren't really ready for the Nash pick and roll style just yet, they may set up a little more traditional for Dwight in those moments. (least I hope so)

Blake and Kobe did work last game with the 1/2 pick and roll tho, so maybe that's more what Blake will do rather than 1/5 pick and rolls.

I don't think we'll see a ton of Dwight or Pau on the block, unless it's out of timeouts and set half court possessions or as I said, when Nash is out of the lineup.

I suspect Kobe is the one that figures out to go on the block and call for the ball moreso than Dwight does. Just a feeling.

Who knows tho, maybe Mike will adapt. Amare was never a back to the basket big, so technically D'Antoni has never had someone like Dwight other than old Shaq. This is a whole different animal, maybe Mike uses him a lot more than what he could with Amare, we'll see.

yeah im pretty curious as to whats going to happen with our post play especially since our best 3 players are exceptional post up guys, but we'll see. its just all speculation from what we've seen in phx and ny. lets just hope when they do run a 1/5 pnr that they wont have pau standing at the 3 :x

Classic Phil..lets it be known that he's still giving Jeanie that wood :lol :lol

What gets me is the article just posted that I was coming to post. D'Antoni was surprised even he got the job. We're not going to ever know what actually happened but it doesn't look cut and dry from either side.

I think an effective play would be to run a pick and roll with Nash and Howard. At the same time a pick to free up Kobe on the Weak Side with Pau.

As Dwight cuts to the basket and Kobe's coming off Pau's screen, Nash either throws it in to Howard in the post. Or to Kobe.

If the ball goes to Kobe, Kobe either shoots if he has a clear shot, or Howard repositions himself in the post on the weak side. Pau slides to the top of the key. Nash at the Wing on the Strong side. Metta stays in the corner.

If Kobe passes to Dwight he lets Dwight attempt a first move then cuts to the basket. Pau slides over to the weak side. Nash at the top of the Key.

It is so much movement that someone will be left open every time. Either Howard has an easy pass to Kobe, or a wide open shot for Nash

That second video that PMatic posted on the last page is a perfect example, and our offense should be TOUGH with our pieces.

Felton and Amare were tough to stop, we have Nash and Howard, both are upgrades.

And instead of Gallo, Wilson Chandler and someone else (I forget who it was) we have Kobe and Pau. :lol

You can't leave Dwight, everyone will have to pinch in when he dives down, Nash can pass on a string, and you can't leave Kobe, so who the hell you gonna leave? :smokin

And I can almost bet that Meeks is going to FLOURISH with all the open 3's. It's also why Channing Frye got so many open 3's. That could be Jamison. Ron will get corner 3's, Blake could play some as a 2 (tho I hope not too much, but if Meeks is ever off, or injured, etc, Blake adds some shooting)

Pau won't have to be at the 3 point line, he can take a step or 2 in on the opposite side and still be in range. (I don't want him shooting tons of 3's)

To help rest Nash at times, they can run the offense with Kobe doing the screen rolls which I am sure he'll be fine with. This is that part where even as old as they are, they should never have to carry the load for 48 minutes, they can switch and take turns, etc. Same for Pau and Dwight.

I have a feeling Jamison and Meeks should start to play a lil better. Lot more open looks for them, better spacing, when Nash gets back, we should be ok offensively, then we just need to rally as a group devensively, with Dwight getting healthier each day, and Ron always willing to do some dirty work.

Updated with Michael Redd

Looked for players who have a possibility of being traded and free agents currently left... There were five types of players I looked for.. .

Grouped as PGs
1. Straight up PGs
2. Combo Guards

Grouped as SF
1. Straight up SF
2. SG/SF
3. Tweener forward (SF/PF)

Ranked them in terms of fit. Some fit because they can run a pick and roll. Some fit due to athleticism. Some fit due to defense. Some fit due to Shooting capabilities.

Green - Means we can get them in some fashion
Orange - is a stretch
[COLOR=#red]Red[/COLOR] - Can't Get them at all

Point Guards
[COLOR=#red]1. Jose Calderon (TOR)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#red]2. Jeff Teague (ATL)[/COLOR]
3. Ramon Sessions (CHA)
[COLOR=#red]4. Tyreke Evans (SAC) Before someone gets angry. Reke is the best on the list, but not the best fit[/COLOR]
5. Delonte West (FA)
6. Aaron Brooks (SAC)
7. Earl Watson (UTA)
8. Luke Ridenour (MIN)
9. Devin Harris (ATL)
10. Boobie Gibson (CLE)
11. JJ Barrea (MIN)
12. John Lucas (TOR)
13. Derek Fisher (FA)
14. Jeremy Pargo (CLE)

Small Forwards

1. Trevor Ariza (WAS)
[COLOR=#red]2. JJ Reddick (ORL)[/COLOR]
3. DeShawn Stevenson (ATL)
3. Kyle Korver (ATL)
5. Dorrell Wright (PHI)
6. Mikhail Pietrus (FA)
7. Marvin Williams (UTA)
8. Hedo Turkoglu (ORL)

9. Michael Redd (FA)
10. Derrick Williams (MIN)
[COLOR=#red]11. Tayshaun Prince (DET)[/COLOR]
12. Kalenna Azubuike (CLE)
13.Quentin Richardson (FA)
14. Josh Howard (FA)
15. Hakim Warrick (NO)
16. Ryan Gomes (FA)
17. Omri Casspi (CLE)
18. Luke Walton (CLE)

Remember fit is all opinion, but those are the list of people who currently seem available.. Of course there is always a blockbuster or two a year that trades someone you thought wasn't getting traded.

If Lakers do make trades this year, which I believe they will, it will be a repeat of what they did last year.

Last edited:
I'm reading the 05-06 Phoenix Suns book, Seven Seconds or Less. I never touched it because it heavily involves that 7-game series against the Lakers, which always stung, but now that Nash and D'Antoni are part of the team, I can stomach it.

Macallum (the author) was basically granted access like he was another coach. The book provides a lot of insight on D'Antoni's coaching and personality. It's a good read if anyone's bored.

Updated with Michael Redd
Looked for players who have a possibility of being traded and free agents currently left... There were five types of players I looked for.. .
Grouped as PGs
1. Straight up PGs
2. Combo Guards
Grouped as SF
1. Straight up SF
2. SG/SF
3. Tweener forward (SF/PF)
Ranked them in terms of fit. Some fit because they can run a pick and roll. Some fit due to athleticism. Some fit due to defense. Some fit due to Shooting capabilities.
Green - Means we can get them in some fashion
Orange - is a stretch
[COLOR=#red]Red[/COLOR] - Can't Get them at all
Point Guards
[COLOR=#red]1. Jose Calderon (TOR)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#red]2. Jeff Teague (ATL)[/COLOR]
3. Ramon Sessions (CHA)
[COLOR=#red]4. Tyreke Evans (SAC) Before someone gets angry. Reke is the best on the list, but not the best fit[/COLOR]
5. Delonte West (FA)
6. Aaron Brooks (SAC)
7. Earl Watson (UTA)
8. Luke Ridenour (MIN)
9. Devin Harris (ATL)
10. Boobie Gibson (CLE)
11. JJ Barrea (MIN)
12. John Lucas (TOR)
13. Derek Fisher (FA)
14. Jeremy Pargo (CLE)

Small Forwards

1. Trevor Ariza (WAS)
[COLOR=#red]2. JJ Reddick (ORL)[/COLOR]
3. DeShawn Stevenson (ATL)
3. Kyle Korver (ATL)
5. Dorrell Wright (PHI)
6. Mikhail Pietrus (FA)
7. Marvin Williams (UTA)
8. Hedo Turkoglu (ORL)

9. Michael Redd (FA)
10. Derrick Williams (MIN)
[COLOR=#red]11. Tayshaun Prince (DET)[/COLOR]
12. Kalenna Azubuike (CLE)
13.Quentin Richardson (FA)
14. Josh Howard (FA)
15. Hakim Warrick (NO)
16. Ryan Gomes (FA)
17. Omri Casspi (CLE)
18. Luke Walton (CLE)
Remember fit is all opinion, but those are the list of people who currently seem available.. Of course there is always a blockbuster or two a year that trades someone you thought wasn't getting traded.
If Lakers do make trades this year, which I believe they will, it will be a repeat of what they did last year.

Could you imagine if we got Ramon again this year? :lol

He went to charlotte to not get traded :lol

After sleeping on it, thinking about it, and kind of just stomaching the fact that Phil Jackson is not our coach.
I'm more optimistic of Dantoni being our new coach. Although I will honor the bet i have with jcmojica, i hope and think with a roster tweak or two, this laker team will be great. I just hope Dwight gets the ball enough in the post.

Could you imagine if we got Ramon again this year? :lol

He went to charlotte to not get traded :lol

It's Michael Jordan 90% of his team can be gotten by trading him someone from UNC.

It's a stretch though because we had him last year.. And he's playing decently.

With that said if we had D'Antoni from the get go this year. I believe Ramon would still be a Laker because FO wouldn't let him go even with Nash because he fits D'Antoni's system.

Last edited:
Watching those offensive videos has me very excited to see what D'Antoni can do with our group of guys.

Also, anyone remember early last year that the Knicks had a Top 10 defense for awhile...can't remember where they finished, but those boys were playing well for Mike.

Back
Top Bottom