Delete

How Many Games Will The Lakers Win With Mike D'Antoni?

• 40-49...They're Going To Get Worse

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-59...Good Enough For A Solid Seed, Not Too Shabby

• 60-65...Top Seed and Impressive Record, Thumbs Up

• 66-70...Scary Good, All Teams Are Now Officially Scared

• 71+...Might As Well Cancel The Playoffs

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've cooled down CP. Sorry bro.

Upset at the team, not you. :smh:

:lol: no worries B.

I'm calm because Mike D is without 3 guys. 2 of them HOFers. I'll be patient with him til he gets them back.

I gave MB last year and was not happy. I didn't want him wasting this year. If MD doesn't get right this year, I won't want him back next year either.

not sure if this has been posted yet
A top-five seed may already be out of reach for the Lakers

print
Comments

Email

Kobe Bryant

Kobe Bryant and the Lakers are 9-12 and rapidly losing sight of a high playoff seeding. (Paul Buck / EPA / December 9, 2012)
By Eric Pincus

December 12, 2012, 8:00 a.m.

It's early December and the Lakers, at 9-13, are already nine games behind the top-seeded San Antonio Spurs (18-4). What would it take for the Lakers to win the Western Conference?

For starters, the Lakers need Steve Nash and Pau Gasol back in the lineup.

San Antonio has won 81.8% of its games this season, which projects to 67 wins on the year. If the Spurs continue to win at their current rate, the Lakers would have to go finish the season 58-2 to tie.

Should San Antonio win just 70% of its remaining games, winning 60 games wouldn't be enough for the Lakers, who show no signs of going 51-9.

The Oklahoma City Thunder at 17-4 are also out of the Lakers' reach, while the Memphis Grizzlies (14-4) would need to drop off significantly. The Clippers (15-6) and even Golden State Warriors (14-7) may have already locked in a better record than the Lakers.

The fifth-seeded Warriors may be in range, but if they keep winning at a 66.7% clip, the Lakers would need to finish at 46-14 to overtake them.

If Golden State suddenly became a mediocre team and won about half of its remaining games to finish 44-38, the Lakers would need to win 35 of their final 60 to catch up.

The Lakers may be looking at the sixth seed as the most realistic target after their dismal start.

The last three teams in the West's top eight include the Utah Jazz (12-10), Dallas Mavericks (11-10) and Denver Nuggets (11-11), all within range.

The Jazz have beaten the Lakers twice already this season but the Lakers are just three games behind Utah.

The season is still young enough to salvage, but the Lakers can't afford to lose another seven out of 10. They need to start winning and winning regularly.

The margin for error is already unforgivably slim and home-court advantage in the playoffs may already be out of the question.

Last edited:
Triangle offense while being flawed was very slow. But most of the flaws were because of bad point guards. Morris & Blake were ruining the spacing. You guys really should have stuck with it more than 5 games #Justsaying

I didn't see this posted. With Hollinger leaving, Haberstroh may be my go-to read on ESPN:

Why a Millsap-Gasol trade works

The deal

Here's the framework of a deal (Note: Players are paired with the years left on their contracts and 2012-13 salary):

Lakers receive: Millsap (1, $8M) Mo Williams (1, $8.5M), DeSagana Diop (1, $7.4M), Raja Bell (1, $3.5M)

Jazz receive: Gasol (2, $19M), Kemba Walker (3, $2.5M), Ben Gordon (2, $12.4M), Earl Clark (1, $1.2M)

Bobcats receive: Jefferson (1, $15M), Kanter (3, $4.5M), Chris Duhon (2, $3.5M), Darius Johnson-Odom (1, $0.5M)

Decent third team, but everything about it seems unlikely from the Jazz & Bobcats side..

The Bobcats would give up 1 of the 2 of Walker & Gordon.. Likely would be Gordon... Jazz want to trade Milsap & Jefferson.. So Kanter & Favors can have time to play... So they wouldn't include Kanter..

Also the Lakers will not take over $1-2 mil in extra salary in any trade.

Also word is Mitch has put his foot down and saying they have to keep Pau for the rest of the season...

But just Milsap & Mo.. I'd want that.. And I'd even still sign Delonte West.. And move Kobe to SF with the Second unit for a considerable amount of time (The Nash, Meeks, Kobe rotation).. That trade would turn us to a lot of Depth.

That trade would be extremely solid and you hold onto Mo & Milsap next year with Dwight, you just need to go out and find a solid 3 & 4 backup.

Maybe try
Lakers get: Milsap, MoWill, Reggie Wiliams & Raja Bell
Jazz get: Pau Gasol, Ben Gordon & Earl Clark
Bobcats get: Al Jefferson, Chris Duhon, Johnson-Odom

Then I'd Immediately go after Delonte West as well.... Play Nash, Mo at PG.... Kobe, Meeks & Delonte at SG, Metta, Kobe, Raja at SF, Milsap & Tawn at PF, Dwight & Hill at Center... And with that you have most of your roster set for next year as well.

And use Reggie Williams, Raja Bell, Blake, Ebanks & Morris as $6.3 expiring, and $4.0 guaranteed for next year.

Last edited:

I'd hate to see Pau go (I've beaten that horse to death) but the team needs to get more athletic while picking up multiple players.

Dwight, Millsap, MWP, Kobe and Nash starting with Hill, Jamison, Williams, Meeks and Delonte off the bench. I think he's a has-been, but pick up Raja in February when he gets bought-out. Boom.

This team has players with injuries and old players but a lot of the stuff comes down to stupid play as well. Almost all of the guads and small forwards take stupid shots that lead to fast breaks. I don't know if D'antoni is preaching that. They ignore Howard a lot or can't even make an entry pass.

Terrible offense leads to fast breaks.

I don't think the team can be a lock down team but at least limit the easy buckets.

I think that is what Nash may bring to the table. He will limit stupid play that lead to easy buckets for the other team.

Lakers need a starting SF real bad. Artest is not cutting it. He is too slow and not a shooter. Ebanks is trash.

I'd hate to see Pau go (I've beaten that horse to death) but the team needs to get more athletic while picking up multiple players.
Dwight, Millsap, MWP, Kobe and Nash starting with Hill, Jamison, Williams, Meeks and Delonte off the bench. I think he's a has-been, but pick up Raja in February when he gets bought-out. Boom.

I think raja bell would be worse than hiring mike brown and mike d'antoni combined. we would be asking him essentially to do what he did in pheonix which is impossible, and he sucks now. he's also 36, not exactly what we need right now.

I'd take MoWill before Marv.. And still go after Delonte.. And for Al Jeff to Bobcats, it's gotta bring Ben Gordon to Utah... Diop would create the same problems, and it doesn't hurt the Jazz financially.. And Bobcats still have Diop's expiring to try to continue to build.

You would then have 3 guys who can play PG (when Nash is healthy)
3 guys who can play SG.
Kobe plays some time at the three like he has been.. So we have someone that will make defenses forget about Jodie..

We'd still be short at SF, but something we could just soldier with and fix in the offseason or use $4-5mil in expiring to get a solid backup.

Last edited:

I'd take MoWill before Marv.. And still go after Delonte.. And for Al Jeff to Bobcats, it's gotta bring Ben Gordon to Utah... Diop would create the same problems, and it doesn't hurt the Jazz financially.. And Bobcats still have Diop's expiring to try to continue to build.

You would then have 3 guys who can play PG (when Nash is healthy)
3 guys who can play SG.
Kobe plays some time at the three like he has been.. So we have someone that will make defenses forget about Jodie..

We'd still be short at SF, but something we could just soldier with and fix in the offseason or use $4-5mil in expiring to get a solid backup.

Mo Williams and Randy Foye have been really good for the Jazz. They along with Marvin Williams have helped given the Jazz a new dimension with their three point shooting that they haven't had in prior years. They also seem to think Gordon Hayward is a SG, which makes the acquisition of Gerald Henderson in my trade proposal tricky.

And the reason I didn't send Ben Gordon to the Jazz is because I think the Bobcats would rather keep him next year rather than commit multiple years to Henderson.

I don't know why Utah would want Gasol but then again it is Utah :nerd:
As a bridge between competitive now with an eye on the future.

Pau can go to the Jazz for the rest of this season and next while Derrick Favors and Enes Kanter develop. Pau becomes a free agent next year as Favors and Kanter are eligible for expensive extensions. Perfect timing.

Last edited:
Mo Williams and Randy Foye have been really good for the Jazz. They along with Marvin Williams have helped given the Jazz a new dimension with their three point shooting that they haven't had in prior years. They also seem to think Gordon Hayward is a SG, which makes the acquisition of Gerald Henderson in my trade proposal tricky.

And the reason I didn't send Ben Gordon to the Jazz is because I think the Bobcats would rather keep him next year rather than commit multiple years to Henderson.

Much cheaper for Henderson than Gordon.. And can still have space to make some moves.. Especially with not giving up Diop's expiring.

Too much log jam at PG, PF & C for the Jazz... They could trade Marv, Jeff & Al for Pau and fillers from CHA... But then they have a HUGE hole at the 2 & 3... Including Mo doesn't hurt them as they have a few PGs.. Ben is/was a combo guard and can less the gap. Won't lose their 3. And with Ben & Pau expiring after next season they'll have money for Kanter & Favors.

Last edited:
We weren't running the triangle with Brown..
Woops, you know what I meant :lol:

I think we'd be better off with Brown... 100% agree. But at the same time Players were done with him.. He was running 4 hour daily practices with an old team... And his offense completely took the ball out of Nash's hands...

Do I think they should have forced him to change his ways? Yes...

But I know why they pulled the trigger so to speak.

Much cheaper for Henderson than Gordon.. And can still have space to make some moves..

Too much log jam at PG, PF & C for the Jazz... They could trade Marv, Jeff & Al for Pau and fillers from CHA... But then they have a HUGE hole at the 2 & 3... Including Mo doesn't hurt them as they have a few PGs.. Ben is a combo guard and can less the gap. Won't lose their 3. And with Ben & Pau expiring after next season they'll have money for Kanter & Favors.
What?

Pau, Favors and Kanter get the minutes with a Jeremy Evans cameo here and there at C and PF. The minutes at PG wouldn't be effected all that much because Mo Williams and Jamaal Tinsley are still there. SG/SF might be tricky because the Jazz think (for some reason) that Hayward is a SG. But I think a rotation could be maintained between Hayward, Foye, Henderson and Demarre Carroll.

What bugs me out more then anything is them losing to the crappy teams they've lost to this year. I could see losing to the Knicks and okc and what have you.

But as much as Antoni has gotten on my last nerve, they should be beating teams like Orlando, Cleveland, and Sacramento strictly off of talent alone. If they put up another stinker against the bullets tomorrow ima be pissed

This team will not make the playoffs.
And if they miraculously do, it would be a first round exit.
They have already proven to us they dont have what it takes.
Its not these players arent individually talented. They cant play as a cohesive unit.
They cant play transition D.
They cant make free throws.

Back
Top Bottom