*| | Denim _ School | |*

soaking probably won't make much of a difference. either wear and don't care or go with dark shoes.
some people put tape on the hem or you could try stain repellent.
but indigo transfer is just part of what happens

Seems a bit extreme but have you tried any of those methods?

Just because its more ounces it doesn't mean it will feel heavier. Iron hearts 555 series has a 21 oz and 18 oz version. The 21 oz is softer and more breathable while the 18 oz feels more stiff and less breathable. Just depends on the material and how the jeans are constructed.

soaking probably won't make much of a difference. either wear and don't care or go with dark shoes.
some people put tape on the hem or you could try stain repellent.
but indigo transfer is just part of what happens

Seems a bit extreme but have you tried any of those methods?
nope

Just because its more ounces it doesn't mean it will feel heavier. Iron hearts 555 series has a 21 oz and 18 oz version. The 21 oz is softer and more breathable while the 18 oz feels more stiff and less breathable. Just depends on the material and how the jeans are constructed.
the "feel" per se probably has more to do with post production treatment. while a specific pair of 1:nerd:z denim may feel stiffer and less breathable it is by definition lighter than a pair of 21oz jeans. denim weight refers to how much a yard of the fabric weighs

I think 13 oz is on the lighter spectrum of things. My first pair of raw denim ever (not counting the fake Nudies) were Unbrandeds and I thought they were heavy as hell, but in all actuality 14.5 oz is not that heavy at all. Brands on the heavier end of the spectrum would be like Iron Hearts. Even Unbranded has a denim which is 21 oz and is called "heavyweight" because of this. 

Last edited:
my 21 oz iron hearts are much softer and more comfortable after 2 months than my 14 oz n&f wereafter a full year. break in really wasn't bad at all, just tough getting the top button because the denim is so damn thick :lol:

really comes down to other properties of the denim, not just weight

Last edited:
here's some photos of my PNS and RT tonal warp black. no specific reason.

there is a scratch on the camera lens, show up smudged or burry on middle tower the top of the frame.

Last edited:
what brand has good black jeans that don't look dry and faded?
i like levis commuter for over dyed black cotton blend jeans/pants.  they stay very dark, especially if you don't wash them. As for 100% cotton super dark black jeans, I'm not sure.  But I really want to try a pair of Outlier black jeans.  I have heard that the levis commuter line is influenced by them, but I don't know if this is a fact.  I do know that Outlier jeans are considerable more expensive though.  Still, they are next on my list for black.

Last edited:
So I got a question. I have these Banana Republic jeans that I've had for ages. I believe they are just dark indigo jeans and not selvage and hardly heavy as far as ounces goes. I wore them pretty hard back in 2007 and they were boot cut and then didn't really wear them for years until I got them tapered about 6 months ago. now I wear them all the time. With just the wear that I've had with them over the years, there are signs of fading, whiskers, honeycombs,etc.

Even though I doubt these are denim for the denim enthusiast, could I still get some moderate changes after I finally wash them in woolite? I always thought it took a certain type of jean to do this and just don't want to wash them and ruin them when I can continue to wear them as is but I am curious to see if there will be some cool changes from it.

any pair of jeans will show signs of wear after long periods of time especially if they were pretty dark to begin with

Last edited:
But I mean would doing the wool light thing work with any dark denim? Or does it take a certain type of denim to wash away after a wash? I know my fades are from normal wear but I wonder if and when I wash it, it would look exactly the same afterwards. If so, I think I might wear them hard for another year and wash them then.

what brand has good black jeans that don't look dry and faded?

Acne Max or Mic in Cash. I've been buying them since 2010 and will continue to do so. They are hands down the best black jeans on the market without spending $500+

Last edited:
But I mean would doing the wool light thing work with any dark denim? Or does it take a certain type of denim to wash away after a wash? I know my fades are from normal wear but I wonder if and when I wash it, it would look exactly the same afterwards. If so, I think I might wear them hard for another year and wash them then.
i assume you are using woolite dark? the purpose of using woolite dark is to preserve the color of your darker/black denim. if you do have some considerable wear on your jeans, you will see change when washed, but the parts that have no wear will probably see little change depending on how hard you wash it (also assuming this will be done by hand?)

the reason why you see a bigger contrast between raw and pre-washed denim when washed is because raw denim is not washed after it has been dyed. because of the excess dye, you typically see a lot more fading when worn after a few months of consistent wear.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom