Denver Nuggets (10-4) 2023-24 Season Thread: 11/22 @ Magic

How long will it take for them to actually get back to contending in the west? The Nuggets went from good to just plain bad after the 57 win season.

They can probably "contend" for the 7/8 seed next year if healthy, but they're not sniffing anywhere near the 2nd round.

Nuggets just gotta stay the course and let all these players develop ...long as they don't do any dumb trades or blow alotta $$$ on non star free agents no reason the team can't be a consistent playoff team in 2-3 years

The culture of the Nuggets since their last playoff appearance had been a mess the past couple of seasons, mainly because of how inept Brian Shaw was as a head coach & the leader of your team/best offensive player being the most immature player on your roster.

As much as I don't like Iguodala, losing him for Foye was a pretty big drop off as well. And it's no secret about the various health issues since that playoff season too.

I really like the culture of the franchise since getting rid of Shaw/Lawson, though. Even though they're not winning. Gallinari is a hell of a team leader, and seems like he's getting more consistent offensively and doesn't shy away from big moments. Lots of great young pieces in their 20s like Mudiay, Jokic, Nurkic, Harris mixed with some vets like Chandler, Nelson, Augustine, Faried, Miller.

I think Malone is a good fit for this group, thankfully the Kings franchise is a mess and got rid of him.

The young guys have high ceilings and just need to continue to develop. If they can continue to do that, and the vets manage to stay healthy (which seems impossible), no reason this team can't make the playoffs in the next few years.

Last edited:
That last game against MEM was just ugly. So many turnovers. Hopefully they can pick up the W today, I do admit though this season they are a lot more entertaining to watch compared to last season. Just wait until Ill Wil returns and Malone finds a good rotation for the three young bigs and a couple possible first round picks. That's a deep roster. Miss the days where they'd have multiple players posting up numbers across the board.

Six questions facing Nuggets future

http://bsndenver.com/qa-with-t-j-mcbride-of-denver-sidekicks-six-questions-facing-nuggets-future/

How do you see the Nuggets handling Jusuf Nurkic this offseason?

T.J. McBride: Jusuf Nurkic has one of those incredibly rare combinations of immense size, impenetrable rim protection, soft hands (as seen in his rookie year) as well as a soft shooting touch stretching out to around 15 feet.

He is having attitude issues and may have the worst body language on the team, but he is a center that could potentially start on at least 10 different teams RIGHT NOW. I hope that they take calls on the Bosnian Beast but smart money is that there is not a General Manager that is willing to give up enough assets to make trading him worthwhile.

Also, trading players who are still on the rookie scale is a very difficult task to accomplish for any front office without sacrificing future cap space. Overall I expect the Nuggets to give him until the next year’s NBA trade deadline to prove that he has a place in Denver.

Nate Timmons: I think Michael Malone and Nurkic are going through a bit of a battle of wills at the moment, and that’s perfectly fine. Nurkic was the diamond that came out of the rough Brian Shaw Era, and he’s having to re-discover his game coming off major surgery. He also has big time competition ahead of him in Nikola Jokic and Joffrey Lauvergne. Jokic has cemented himself as a building block for the franchise, and Lauvergne is the perfect role man off the bench.

Part of me thinks Lauvergne is better suited for power forward, but you can get away with playing him at center in this new era of small ball. Nurkic is the better player with the higher ceiling, but can Denver afford to keep him as Jokic’s backup? I think Nurkic is too good to be a backup and that could lead to him being a key piece to a giant trade this summer.

:\

Nice to see Nurk out there producing on both ends, he played very well. Haven't read any update about the seriousness of Joffrey's injury, so this could be a great time for him to get back into the rotation.

I couldn't believe how awful the 3rd q was last night, thought the squad was done for sure. They put together one hell of a 4th though, was very entertaining to watch.

From what I saw it's a cheekbone contusion & laceration until the CT scan to see if it's fractured

This site seems to have up to date draft pick status.

http://www.prosportstransactions.com/basketball/DraftTrades/Future/Nuggets.htm

They'll probably move some of the picks but who do you guys like at 8, 16 and 18 :nerd:

At PG I like Mudiay and Augustin, also have Nelson
SG: Harris is solid so far but need a backup: Buddy Hield or Murray
SF: Gallo and Chandler, along with Sampson, Barton, Toupane, Miller. Feel like a couple of these guys can be replaced with a pick.
PF: Manimal, Darth (I like Uthoff as a stretch 4 out of Iowa for a late pick)
C:Jokic Nurk and Auvergne are a good group of bigs

I like Buddy HieId & Denzel Valentine and some defensive PF

Aside from health defense is the main issue with this team

Yeah...we need some defense and a stretch 4. I actually think Gallo can and should move to the 4 full time. Draft a 3...either this year or next.

I have a weird feeling that we'll get a top 2 pick and take either Simmons or Ingram :pimp:

Youngsters really starting to look like a good core for this team. That shot by Mudiay 
pimp.gif

Not looking too good for Harris. I don't think they've given him enough time to develop, he was just starting to come up.

Back
Top Bottom