Did Boston use the 2-3 zone to stop Lebron ?

It's not even that, just best believe if this was anyone besides LeBron James, they would have been KILLED in the media. Put Kobe on the Cavs and let them have the best record in the league 2 years in a row and not even make it to the Finals. Bron seems to have this invincibility cloak around him right now that no matter what he does, he gets absolved of everything. But come July 1st and he finally gets that "franchise player" everyone keeps talking about, he better win a ring next season or else.

It's not even that, just best believe if this was anyone besides LeBron James, they would have been KILLED in the media. Put Kobe on the Cavs and let them have the best record in the league 2 years in a row and not even make it to the Finals. Bron seems to have this invincibility cloak around him right now that no matter what he does, he gets absolved of everything. But come July 1st and he finally gets that "franchise player" everyone keeps talking about, he better win a ring next season or else.

Originally Posted by Mamba MVP

It's not even that, just best believe if this was anyone besides LeBron James, they would have been KILLED in the media. Put Kobe on the Cavs and let them have the best record in the league 2 years in a row and not even make it to the Finals. Bron seems to have this invincibility cloak around him right now that no matter what he does, he gets absolved of everything.
No.
But come July 1st and he finally gets that "franchise player" everyonekeeps talking about, he better win a ring next season or else.
Or else what?

Originally Posted by Mamba MVP

It's not even that, just best believe if this was anyone besides LeBron James, they would have been KILLED in the media. Put Kobe on the Cavs and let them have the best record in the league 2 years in a row and not even make it to the Finals. Bron seems to have this invincibility cloak around him right now that no matter what he does, he gets absolved of everything.
No.
But come July 1st and he finally gets that "franchise player" everyonekeeps talking about, he better win a ring next season or else.
Or else what?

LeBron did get killed in the media this year. There wasn't anyone that defended him after game 5, and for good reason.

Yeah he got a pass in 09, but when you go for 39, 8 and 8 in a series losing effort that's kind of expected.

C's played man to man for the most part but with heavy zone principles. Pack it in, close off driving lanes, and force jumpers.

LeBron did get killed in the media this year. There wasn't anyone that defended him after game 5, and for good reason.

Yeah he got a pass in 09, but when you go for 39, 8 and 8 in a series losing effort that's kind of expected.

C's played man to man for the most part but with heavy zone principles. Pack it in, close off driving lanes, and force jumpers.

Al3xis wrote:

That's their normal defense though ain't it?  They run that D on everyone, with slight adjustments, like when they stayed home a lot vs Orlando, and then in game 1 stayed in that by mistake, allowing LA to get to the bucket, because they stayed at home too much on poor shooters. 
laugh.gif
   After that though, they went into that pack it in defense the rest of the series. 

Al3xis wrote:

That's their normal defense though ain't it?  They run that D on everyone, with slight adjustments, like when they stayed home a lot vs Orlando, and then in game 1 stayed in that by mistake, allowing LA to get to the bucket, because they stayed at home too much on poor shooters. 
laugh.gif
   After that though, they went into that pack it in defense the rest of the series. 

Yeah, it's not like they unveiled some secret defense to throw at him. He struggled with it in 2008 and this year. Which is why I didn't get the premise of this thread, if they displayed a blueprint to stop him, it came before this year.

Yeah, it's not like they unveiled some secret defense to throw at him. He struggled with it in 2008 and this year. Which is why I didn't get the premise of this thread, if they displayed a blueprint to stop him, it came before this year.

Boston is just a great defensive team.. they're defense has stopped everybody.

the only guy to ever torch them consistently was Wade, and that was in the first round when they hadn't really turned it on yet.

Boston is just a great defensive team.. they're defense has stopped everybody.

the only guy to ever torch them consistently was Wade, and that was in the first round when they hadn't really turned it on yet.

Originally Posted by CP1708

Thinkin on it, he reminds me just a little bit of Brett Favre treatment.  Agree? 

I dunno, I suppose it's too early to worry about him just yet, but I did see something yesterday that made me do a double take. 

Over 22,000 minutes already for Bron.  After 7 years.  Kobe was at 16,000. 

He's a freak, but at what point does the mileage wear on him (even though he hasn't had a bad knee or ankle yet) 

Thought that was interesting when i saw it yesterday. 
It's a cause for concern but I'm not so sure I buy the argument about minutes/games played over age. There's so many variables that go into players wearing down, I still haven't seen a study to convince me definitively one way or the other. It's certainly something to think about though.

Thinkin on it, he reminds me just a little bit of Brett Favre treatment.  Agree? 

I dunno, I suppose it's too early to worry about him just yet, but I did see something yesterday that made me do a double take. 

Over 22,000 minutes already for Bron.  After 7 years.  Kobe was at 16,000. 

He's a freak, but at what point does the mileage wear on him (even though he hasn't had a bad knee or ankle yet) 

Thought that was interesting when i saw it yesterday. 
It's a cause for concern but I'm not so sure I buy the argument about minutes/games played over age. There's so many variables that go into players wearing down, I still haven't seen a study to convince me definitively one way or the other. It's certainly something to think about though.

^
Simmons did a big article about it once I think, something about 1,000 games played, plus playoffs, etc etc, it starts to end knees and such.  He mentioned KG, Duncan, Kobe, Iverson etc and where there miles were at. 

It's not ironclad, Karl Malone was solid, Shaq has done ok, Kareem was great, but it's a decent barometer to look at. 

^
Simmons did a big article about it once I think, something about 1,000 games played, plus playoffs, etc etc, it starts to end knees and such.  He mentioned KG, Duncan, Kobe, Iverson etc and where there miles were at. 

It's not ironclad, Karl Malone was solid, Shaq has done ok, Kareem was great, but it's a decent barometer to look at. 

Originally Posted by Al3xis

.like has been said before there was next to ZERO talk about Bron not having any help when the Cavs have the best record in the league for the past 2 seasons.
what do you think about them going 1-13 without him?
But what happens if you pair him with a bosh/wade and it still doesn't work? What do you say then?
Nothing, he won't have an excuse.

I don't buy that.  Every move they make, people have screamed this was it, this is it!!!  And then they all leave around mid May.  I think even if another star joins and a flame out happens for whatever reason, I still expect plenty of excuses.  ESPN is on his side, other media places like Yahoo, of course the NBA, TNT, they all love Bron, they'll make excuses for him no matter what happens.  But we'll see.  We should know in a few weeks what his odds are. 
You keep drilling this point home....so what? He's the best, most exciting player in basketball and the only player with the potential to steal the GOAT crown from Jordan (I said "potential," calm down).

Of course ESPN and all the news outlets are on his jock. Remember Barry Bonds in 2001? And I bet it was like that in the 90's with Jordan. But here, not only is LeBron the best at his sport, he's also a free agent who could very well sign with a number of teams, which makes for 10x the drama and more excuses to show his highlights and talk about him on their programs.

Originally Posted by Al3xis

.like has been said before there was next to ZERO talk about Bron not having any help when the Cavs have the best record in the league for the past 2 seasons.
what do you think about them going 1-13 without him?
But what happens if you pair him with a bosh/wade and it still doesn't work? What do you say then?
Nothing, he won't have an excuse.

I don't buy that.  Every move they make, people have screamed this was it, this is it!!!  And then they all leave around mid May.  I think even if another star joins and a flame out happens for whatever reason, I still expect plenty of excuses.  ESPN is on his side, other media places like Yahoo, of course the NBA, TNT, they all love Bron, they'll make excuses for him no matter what happens.  But we'll see.  We should know in a few weeks what his odds are. 
You keep drilling this point home....so what? He's the best, most exciting player in basketball and the only player with the potential to steal the GOAT crown from Jordan (I said "potential," calm down).

Of course ESPN and all the news outlets are on his jock. Remember Barry Bonds in 2001? And I bet it was like that in the 90's with Jordan. But here, not only is LeBron the best at his sport, he's also a free agent who could very well sign with a number of teams, which makes for 10x the drama and more excuses to show his highlights and talk about him on their programs.

Originally Posted by 255forLife

so this has become yet another player A vs player B thread.

where's ska with the lock?

(yawns)

I think the mods are just happy this thread hasn't crashed Yuku... yet.

Even if Boston's 2-3 was enough to stop Lebron. It won't be the same for other teams. Boston is the only team in the league with 2 legit 300 pounders (Davis, Perkins) to throw at Lebron. Lebron has NO game with his back to the basket (offensive or defensive). Everything great he does is done facing the basket and close to the rim. Tomohawk dunks and chase-down blocks are his specialty. Still no post-up moves, and only fairly decent back-to-the-basket defense. No real (consistent) jumper to speak of either.

Point is, he is athletic enough at this point to have his way with most teams. But no one is really built to deal with a legit 300 center in the paint all game long. He still needs a mid-range game if he expects to do damage in the playoffs from now on. He'll still be one hell of a threat as he is one of the best passers in the game. But he can't continue to drive into the paint repeatedly year after year for the rest of his career. Not if he wants to win titles while dominating the ball. When Lebron can calmly dribble to a wing, put up a mid-range jumper and tell his guys to get back on D (on a consistent basis), then things will be way different. But he can't take zig-zagging and creating contact in the paint for his whole career.

Back
Top Bottom