Did Jordan play in a watered down era ?

Originally Posted by Vsano

And this comment caught me:

"When people try & pull that "watered down" argument, I ALWAYS mention that 1996 & '97, 10 of 29 teams in the league won 52+ games, That's 34.5%, the highest % EVER in league history.

$!+* MJ & the bulls beat "7" 60+ win teams in their 6 ring seasons. ."

This caught me too lol

The second 3-peat bulls didn't win every title with ease... Because the competition was high & very physical.. If people think it's watered down then MJ might I've average 40 pts a game, the team winning more than 72 games. People might find the 72-10 record  unbelievable but that doesn't justify the 90's league to have watered down.

Originally Posted by Vsano

And this comment caught me:

"When people try & pull that "watered down" argument, I ALWAYS mention that 1996 & '97, 10 of 29 teams in the league won 52+ games, That's 34.5%, the highest % EVER in league history.

$!+* MJ & the bulls beat "7" 60+ win teams in their 6 ring seasons. ."

This caught me too lol

The second 3-peat bulls didn't win every title with ease... Because the competition was high & very physical.. If people think it's watered down then MJ might I've average 40 pts a game, the team winning more than 72 games. People might find the 72-10 record  unbelievable but that doesn't justify the 90's league to have watered down.

The win totals indicate the league was watered down. The league had more punching bags. Like I said, three 60 win teams each season during the second three-peat. That happened TWICE outside of that stretch since 1979. Competition was weakened by expansion. The Sonics won 64 games in '96 with one Hall of Fame PG and a very good PF. Hell, they won 61 in 1998 with VIN BAKER leading the charge. That's ridiculous.

The win totals indicate the league was watered down. The league had more punching bags. Like I said, three 60 win teams each season during the second three-peat. That happened TWICE outside of that stretch since 1979. Competition was weakened by expansion. The Sonics won 64 games in '96 with one Hall of Fame PG and a very good PF. Hell, they won 61 in 1998 with VIN BAKER leading the charge. That's ridiculous.

get the F^&k outta here,

let me list some of the greatest teams/players

when he played the pistons, cmon son, the bad boys were on their prime.
Sonics, - Gary Payton and the reignman Shawn kemp!!!
utah jazz, with the mail man n stockton.
ummm...knicks,
houston.
Shaq, skinny 7ft on his prime.
magic johnson.
shoot. the list goes on.
JORDAN ERA___ The Hand Check rule..
besides, when the hand check rule change, the nba has become more soft.

get the F^&k outta here,

ummm...knicks,
houston.
magic johnson.
shoot. the list goes on.

Michael Jordan did not play down in a watered down era.  The last decade of the NBA has been dominated by the perimeter players named by previous posters, which can primarily be attributed to the popularity of AAU ball. Instead of running an offense through a big man, the majority of players come up learning a one-on-one, beat your man off the dribble approach to offense.  It's only natural that the balance of power would shift towards perimeter players.
If someone else already said this, my bad for repeating the argument. I didn't feel like going through 8 pages of ignorance to see if it had been mentioned.

Michael Jordan did not play down in a watered down era.  The last decade of the NBA has been dominated by the perimeter players named by previous posters, which can primarily be attributed to the popularity of AAU ball. Instead of running an offense through a big man, the majority of players come up learning a one-on-one, beat your man off the dribble approach to offense.  It's only natural that the balance of power would shift towards perimeter players.
If someone else already said this, my bad for repeating the argument. I didn't feel like going through 8 pages of ignorance to see if it had been mentioned.

Originally Posted by air force baller

get the F^&k outta here,

ummm...knicks,
houston.
magic johnson.
shoot. the list goes on.
Magic was past his prime when they played in the Finals, and the Lakers weren't exactly Showtime either.
As much as I love the Sonics, they were the same beneficiaries of that diluted league in '96. They won 64 games with one HOF'er at PG.
Utah was strong, but Malone was a perennial choke artist (see: '96 WCF).
Houston...well, the Bulls never had to play them, so I don't know why that got brought up.
Shaq wasn't in his prime the ONE series the Bulls played Orlando.
Knicks had a very good center in Ewing and....?
The list goes on? So what's the rest?

i'm not on some anti-Jordan crusade, I'm just saying that you can't blindly say that those championships came in the most competitive era of the NBA. He never faced a dominant center in the Finals (or in the eastern playoffs), and he was fortunate to have the best supporting cast possible in the second three-peat. Nobody wins alone, but in a diluted league, having two OTHER Hall of Famers definitely puts you over the top.

get the F^&k outta here,

ummm...knicks,
houston.
magic johnson.
shoot. the list goes on.
Magic was past his prime when they played in the Finals, and the Lakers weren't exactly Showtime either.
As much as I love the Sonics, they were the same beneficiaries of that diluted league in '96. They won 64 games with one HOF'er at PG.
Houston...well, the Bulls never had to play them, so I don't know why that got brought up.

i'm not on some anti-Jordan crusade, I'm just saying that you can't blindly say that those championships came in the most competitive era of the NBA. He never faced a dominant center in the Finals (or in the eastern playoffs), and he was fortunate to have the best supporting cast possible in the second three-peat. Nobody wins alone, but in a diluted league, having two OTHER Hall of Famers definitely puts you over the top.

Originally Posted by CaptainSpaulding

^ knicks were loaded with defensive minded goons . Oakley Mason Harper . Also Starks and Doc were a problem back then. They would absolutely torture present day teams with their physical jail D .

Yall need to go check youtube and just look at how intense the games were from tipoff till this day you can sense the hunger each team had to WIN and that "every play is important style they played will never return

Jordan is GOAT he succeeded in a thirsty era no matter the talent. players nowdays are nonchalant / looking for the easy way out.
When Harper got there he was old already, Mason was an undersized PF, Doc was old too, Starks was signed from the CBA...So that leaves Oakley?! as a legit second best player on a championship contender. I'm not discrediting any of the 6 rings, but the league wasn't at its best in the 90's.

^ knicks were loaded with defensive minded goons . Oakley Mason Harper . Also Starks and Doc were a problem back then. They would absolutely torture present day teams with their physical jail D .

Yall need to go check youtube and just look at how intense the games were from tipoff till this day you can sense the hunger each team had to WIN and that "every play is important style they played will never return

Jordan is GOAT he succeeded in a thirsty era no matter the talent. players nowdays are nonchalant / looking for the easy way out.
When Harper got there he was old already, Mason was an undersized PF, Doc was old too, Starks was signed from the CBA...So that leaves Oakley?! as a legit second best player on a championship contender. I'm not discrediting any of the 6 rings, but the league wasn't at its best in the 90's.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

get the F^&k outta here,

ummm...knicks,
houston.
magic johnson.
shoot. the list goes on.

thank you. this is nothing but the truth

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

get the F^&k outta here,

ummm...knicks,
houston.
magic johnson.
shoot. the list goes on.

thank you. this is nothing but the truth

Sonics had the deadliest shooters from 3 Detlef Schrempf / Dale Ellis together was murder also Perk was a shooter too
I'll give you Perk and Detlef, but Ellis didn't come until the '97-'98 season. It was a nice trio for one season though!

Sonics had the deadliest shooters from 3 Detlef Schrempf / Dale Ellis together was murder also Perk was a shooter too
I'll give you Perk and Detlef, but Ellis didn't come until the '97-'98 season. It was a nice trio for one season though!

Not admitting the league was watered down would be a mistake cause it clearly was.

The Guards were good but few then the League has so many Elite Guards now.

Not admitting the league was watered down would be a mistake cause it clearly was.

The Guards were good but few then the League has so many Elite Guards now.

LOLWUT!?!?!?!?! So you saying that Reggie Miller, Patrick Ewing, Karl Malone, John Stockton, Shawn Kemp, Gary Payton, Shaq,
Sam Perkins, Hakeem Olajuwon and emerging Kobe, A.I., KG, and McGrady were watered down??? I could add loads of other
player on that list, but man, you serious????

Back
Top Bottom