Didn't the Portland Trailblazers learn from Micheal jordan? VOL Durant

Yeah, hey on a case by case basis, we can look at a team. I was FOR Blake this year (something he and I argued about endlessly) But Blake isn't Odensize. He's more Boozer then Oden, and so the injury risk should be somewhat lessened. (of course, the Clipper curse got him early, but hey
laugh.gif
) But reason I looked for Blake was the Clipps roster as constructed does haveguys that can score at the end of a game. EG, Baron if he ever gets right again, hell even Thorton. So Blake to me was just an added peice, or added toptalent player being added. If it were the Kings with the #1, I don't think I would have gone with Blake becasue they have servicable bigs, and NEEDED aperimeter threat. That's how I look at it.

So with Port, with getting both Roy AND LA the year before, and still having Pryz, I didn't see the need for Oden. And after seein the stuff now withMiller, I am wondering if the front office may have thought that Roy and Durant couldn't co-exist. They'll NEVER say that out loud, but I wonder.
laugh.gif
And I saw that article on ESPN last week, and some scout saidPortland was better with LA at the 5 cuz it cleared the paint for the other guys to flow the offense, if Portland goes on a little run here in the comingweeks, it's going to hammer the point home further about what a waste his pick was over Durant. All I know is, Roy + Oden, eh. Roy + Durant would be
eek.gif
provided they could coexist with the ball.

as much i wanna fight Greg Oden
mad.gif

his body structure is set well for him.

his legs,knees,and feet have so much weight ontop of them, injuries are bound to build up.

+ it seems like Greg Oden has been trying to change his image as a "soft" center, by going hard in the paint. (no omo)

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Originally Posted by Al3xis

I think Danny Ainge was going to take Durant if he had gotten the #1.
not a chance.

Boston was dying for their next Bill Russell. Organization included.

Lottery viewing parties and all. The devastation was quite funny, but then the trades happened.
indifferent.gif
Maybe your write, but Simmons was claiming the other day, that he knows for fact Ainge was going to select Durant
eyes.gif

indifferent.gif
sick.gif
laugh.gif

I think he would have taken Oden. They already had Paul Pierce so I don't think they would have taken another scoring SG/SF? Celtics needed PF/C.

Originally Posted by Wraith aka invincible

i think they made the right choice, it just didnt workout for them. kd came into a situation that was a good fit for him and he's played extrememly well. i dont think if jd was on the blazers he plays this well

Some people are forgetting how much of a beast Oden was at Ohio State. Dude looked as athletic as Shaq did (when he first joined the NBA).The guy was anexcellent Center at OSU and he had the entire NBA drooling over him.

The knock against him wasn't that he was injury prone but that he was mentally soft and didn't have his heart in the game of basketball. There werequestions about his confidence.

Even though it was clear that he was not very polished offensively in college, people thought that his athleticism would allow him to be an effective scorer inhis first few NBA seasons.

I bet if the Sonics had the #1 overall pick they would've taken Oden as well. Getting #2 overall was a blessing in disguise for that organization.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

I can remember only one person on this board saying they should have taken KD and that was inmymind and i cant even remember ANY in the meida saying take KD over oden
I cant speak on whether or not people on NT were saying Durant over Oden because I dont remember. However, you are COMPLETELY wrong about themedia. It was a HUGE debate before the draft. I dont know where you get the idea that Oden was the overwhelming pick by the media. You are flat out wrongdude. Im sorry.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/070622

http://www.nba.com/draft2007/toppick_debate.html

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=dw-portland061807&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

And thats just after a quick search in DECEMBER 2009. Imagine how many articles were around in 2007. Bottom line dude, it was a HUGE debate who should gofirst. There was NEVER an overwhelming opinion that Oden should be the first pick. Im sorry.

I could be mad but I am not. %!%* happens and that was a nasty looking injury. I have been half expecting it to happen since he got back on the court. The realthing here is the Portland medical staff. I am really beginning to question them. Look how many injuries the team has suffered so far... This will be aninteresting test to the rest of the team. I am looking forward to see how they can play without him now.

I am beginning to get used to this kind of %!%* though being a Beavers, Seahawks and Blazers fan. I have become quite familiar with the concept ofdisappointment. It will only make winning even better.

^
You can't blame the medical staff for what happened to Oden. Or Batum, or Outlaw. What do you want them to do to prevent dudes from blowing their kneesout while jumping?
grin.gif
Come on man.

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Originally Posted by Al3xis

I think Danny Ainge was going to take Durant if he had gotten the #1.
not a chance.

Boston was dying for their next Bill Russell. Organization included.

Lottery viewing parties and all. The devastation was quite funny, but then the trades happened.
indifferent.gif
Maybe your write, but Simmons was claiming the other day, that he knows for fact Ainge was going to select Durant
eyes.gif

Nah, the Celtics were definitely taking Oden if they had the opportunity.

Obviously it was never stated publicly by the team...but those around the organization pretty much agreed they were salivating at the chance of drafting him.

Originally Posted by CP1708

Me personally, I don't beleive that you HAVE to go big man anymore. I know back in the day it was all about draft a center, but with the rule changes and what not, I'm lookin out at the perimeter type players. Who are the best in the game right now? Kobe, Bron, Wade, Melo, Durant, CP3. Dirk and KG are 7 footers, who play like Small Forwards. The days of drafting Duncan's and Shaq's are long gone in my eyes. Even second tier guys are Roy, D Williams, Granger, PP, and so on and so on.

Fast paced game, hand check rules, the 7 footers just can't run up and down the floor anymore. See Yao, see Oden. 7 footers like KG and Dirk that are lighter and do less banging inside, seem to be better fits for the game today. Bynum is another guy that has had both knees taken out for long stretches. So to me, give me the guy on the wing that I can put the ball in his hands at the end of the game, and let him do work. D12 is wonderful, can you give him the ball at the end of the game? No. They went and got VC for that, they'll have Jameer for that. Last year it was Turk for that. *shrugs* I just think the Shaq/Duncan days are over. 7 footers that get over 260 pounds or so are at risk.
I don't think it's so much that the Shaq/Duncan days are over, it's just that the odds are incredibly stacked against it ever panningout if you go after the next supposed Shaq/Duncan. The only dominant big men of the last 25 years were Hakeem, Shaq and Duncan. That's the list. Dwightcould be there, he clearly shows that he can play with his enormous frame, but he needs rings to be in the discussion.

I agree with you that the league has changed so much that a good to great big man isn't required to win the title. The versatile 7-footer is the new rage,and KD fits that mold.

Nice post Fresh, good point made...and I guess it just shows the shortsightedness of some GM's...the league is evolving, the logic of drafting a dominatingback to the basket center to be the foundation is gone...I guess you will say that they had Roy and and a good role player in Outlaw to run the lanes and wingand needed someone else to anchor the D alongside Aldridge rather than getting another wingman. In basketball anlaysis, and for both of them coming out of thatdraft, they'd think it was a good move, and on paper I would agree with such a move- given the upside they saw with Oden and consuquently the team with himat full potential....

but to agree with your post lightning did strike twice, with the same disastrous implications....all they could hope for is a Bill Walton sort of input fromOden now...cuz he ain't the franchise player they potentially drafted him for...

Let's go KD!!!!!!!!...This kid is gonna be alongside LBJ, Carmelo and Wade for a loooong time (Kobe left out as his career wont last as long as the othersanymore...rocking chair in the semi-far distance)

Um no.. Completely different situations. You could criticize the Blazers for taking Bowie over Jordan right on the 1984 draft night.. You can't criticizePortland for taking Oden, he was one of those sure thing #1 picks. It was one of those drafts where there's one player headlining the draft and thenthere's everyone else. The Bowie over Jordan was a stupid pick because they needed a big man and they took what clearly was an inferior player based on theposition they needed. Oden was the kind of #1 pick anyone would take regardless of what position they needed, even if they had a great center like the Spurswith Tim Duncan in 1997.

This is from Simmons Twitter:

Note to @truehoop: Danny Ainge was absolutely taking Durant if C's got 1st pick. I know for a fact. He's the only one.

Who really knows though.

The Bowie over Jordan was a stupid pick because they needed a big man and they took what clearly was an inferior player based on the position they needed.
laugh.gif
How does that NOT apply with Oden and Durant?

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

Um no.. Completely different situations. You could criticize the Blazers for taking Bowie over Jordan right on the 1984 draft night.. You can't criticize Portland for taking Oden, he was one of those sure thing #1 picks. It was one of those drafts where there's one player headlining the draft and then there's everyone else. The Bowie over Jordan was a stupid pick because they needed a big man and they took what clearly was an inferior player based on the position they needed. Oden was the kind of #1 pick anyone would take regardless of what position they needed, even if they had a great center like the Spurs with Tim Duncan in 1997.
Disagree...

cuz you make it sound like Oden's choice was so unanimous....there was quite some deliberation before the Blazers brass decided to go along with Oden."Anyone would pick regardless of what player they needed"? Come on man, with busts like Olowakandi and Sam Bowie in history, to go along withOden's then questionable offensive capabilities, the only way he would have been regarded as that "one above the rest" is if Durant decided tostay one more year in Texas and get drafted the following year....I see what you're saying but I think it's fundamentally flawed...

--Portland just cant seem to catch a break on these boards lately.
--This thread, the homer commentator thread and Notorious' "semi-uncalled for" 2000 WCF thread.

--But BRoy and today's Durant on the same team? My team would never win at the Rose Garden. Ever.

Oden was the kind of #1 pick anyone would take regardless of what position they needed, even if they had a great center like the Spurs with Tim Duncan in 1997.

What?!?!?!?! Did you see Kevin at Texas??? He was the unanimous freshman and player of the year as well as 1st team All American for every list put out. Hetortured everyone game in and game out all season long, the same can't be said about Oden. Oden was a draft on potential not based on what he showed hewas capable of doing right then and there, with that being said you're out of your tree if you think it was just cut and dry like that and you'refoolish to compare his draft position to Tim in 97.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Me personally, I don't beleive that you HAVE to go big man anymore. I know back in the day it was all about draft a center, but with the rule changes and what not, I'm lookin out at the perimeter type players. Who are the best in the game right now? Kobe, Bron, Wade, Melo, Durant, CP3. Dirk and KG are 7 footers, who play like Small Forwards. The days of drafting Duncan's and Shaq's are long gone in my eyes. Even second tier guys are Roy, D Williams, Granger, PP, and so on and so on.

Fast paced game, hand check rules, the 7 footers just can't run up and down the floor anymore. See Yao, see Oden. 7 footers like KG and Dirk that are lighter and do less banging inside, seem to be better fits for the game today. Bynum is another guy that has had both knees taken out for long stretches. So to me, give me the guy on the wing that I can put the ball in his hands at the end of the game, and let him do work. D12 is wonderful, can you give him the ball at the end of the game? No. They went and got VC for that, they'll have Jameer for that. Last year it was Turk for that. *shrugs* I just think the Shaq/Duncan days are over. 7 footers that get over 260 pounds or so are at risk.

I agree with you that the league has changed so much that a good to great big man isn't required to win the title.
laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

you might want to look back on past championships....only time a big man was not needed was when MJ was doing his thing....

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

Oden was the kind of #1 pick anyone would take regardless of what position they needed, even if they had a great center like the Spurs with Tim Duncan in 1997.

What?!?!?!?! Did you see Kevin at Texas??? He was the unanimous freshman and player of the year as well as 1st team All American for every list put out. He tortured everyone game in and game out all season long, the same can't be said about Oden. Oden was a draft on potential not based on what he showed he was capable of doing right then and there, with that being said you're out of your tree if you think it was just cut and dry like that and you're foolish to compare his draft position to Tim in 97.
laugh.gif
Yeah I really don't understand what people'sassessment of Greg Oden was in college...dude was very robotic and unpolished around the basket. Dudes were gassed by a "few" of those dominant gamesand the fact they went to the final four. My son KD put a damn team on his back and was dogging _'s night in and night out and til this day they still findsomething to criticize him about (_'s even go as far as to say that he "held" them back because they did better the year after) Nothing aboutOden's game suggested he'd be able to step in the L and do work right away so I'm at lost at people talking about Oden as if he was some can'tmiss prospect at OSU or something...

Maybe it's just me but I have NEVER EVER EVER been wowed at Greg Oden. I was one of the few who were very vocal about him never panning out to be thisgreat dominant Shaq-like big man like he was pumped up to be...and that's pre-injury. Something about dude's game and him in general was just alwayssuspect to me. He never had "it". He always seemed like one of them _'s who played basketball just because he was tall or something. If he'sever able to remain healthy...I see him becoming a monster defensively...but as far as him ever being an "automatic two points in the post whenfed"...I can't see it.

Originally Posted by Do Be Doo

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

I agree with you that the league has changed so much that a good to great big man isn't required to win the title.
laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

you might want to look back on past championships....only time a big man was not needed was when MJ was doing his thing....
Depending on how you feel about Rasheed Wallace...the Pistons certainly didn't have a "great" big man

Back
Top Bottom