DISCUSS- CRACK COCAINE SENTENCING... A change is coming....

It has been a miscarrage of justice for years when you think of the time served for coke dealers.....
ohwell.gif

http://enews.earthlink.net/article/top?guid=20071211/475e1950_3ca6_1552620071211-654331140

its too bad it got overturned. what does bother me is that crimes are going to happen because of these 20,000 asshats that are getting released early who willget out and probably commit crimes they wouldnt have been able to commit had they been locked up instead.

^
indifferent.gif

Yeah you're right...The laws shouldn't have been overturned...

_________________First_tier.________Second_tier.
LSD______________1_gram._10_to_20_______10_grams
_________________doses_if_carrier_______________
_________________weight_included._______________
Crack_cocaine____5_grams._1_to_10_______50_grams
_________________day_supply_for_________________
_________________heavy_user.____________________

$500 worth can land you 5 years with no parole on your first charge
indifferent.gif

"There are only two ways to avoid a mandatory minimum sentence. First, the defendant may provide 'substantial assistance' to thegovernment by turning in other defendants. Second, some defendants qualify for the 'safety valve' that Congresspassed in 1994 to address (at FAMM's urging) the excessive sentences served by non-violent drug offenders. If the judge finds the defendant is alow-level, non-violent, first-time offender who qualifies for the safety valve, the defendant may be sentences under the sentencing guidelinesinstead of the mandatory minimum sentence law. Although the safety valve is a step in the right direction, the criteria for eligibility is verynarrow so thousands of nonviolent drug defendants are still sent to prison for decades under mandatory minimum sentencing laws." -Emphasis added

I can't remember the site I just googled it..

ohhh i feel so bad for the crack dealers who help decrease property value and raise violence in the area....i feel soooo bad. id like to see how you feel oneof these guys got out early because of this and hurt someone you cared about....but im sure you just wanna "keep it hood and flip birds" right?either way they will still be prosecuted and hopefully to the extent of whatever the new law is.

^ seriously???

For me (and i'm sure for Ru and the rest in this thread) this has absolutely NOTHING to do with "keeping it hood" or "flipping birds."That's extremely ignorant. Really, the problem is very simple. Crack and Cocaine are different forms of the SAME drug, so they should carry the samesentences. I couldn't care less about any kind of drug dealers, but the fact is that crack possession has historically been more prevalent in minoritycommunities. The SIGNIFICANTLY harsher penalties for crack as opposed to cocaine possession are biased against minorities. I can't say whether or not thiswas intentional *coughREAGANcough*, but either way, it's unfair legislation.

ohhh i feel so bad for the crack dealers who help decrease property value and raise violence in the area....

Yes drugs do have an hand in property value decreasing...But it's not the only reason..People leaving the city..Poor schools..ect.

id like to see how you feel one of these guys got out early because of this and hurt someone you cared about..

Your reading skills must be non-existant homeboy...There are thousands of young black men who are non-violent drug offenders who are getting screwed overbecause of the Federal MMS...You tellin' me that if I got few grams of crack I should do 5+ years flat?But a sex offender can get parole? Hell no notIMO..Honestly most (if not all ) dudes who get out does not wanna go back..But due to them having a felony conviction..It's hella harder to get a job..Sothey revert back what they know best..You also act if all drug dealers are murderers and psychos..

but im sure you just wanna "keep it hood and flip birds" right?

My word you are an Idiot...an Ignorant idiot...You don't know me homie..But whatever helps you sleep at night..The Game has been dead for years..Thank godI learned my lesson in highschool..If you refer the term "keep it hood" as having learned the survival skills while runnin these Bmore streets..thenyeah thats me..
smile.gif

Now I'm all for Do the Crime do the time...These laws were blatantly unjust..

I know of this personally... my uncle back in October was given 5 years, $30,000 fine for CONSPIRACY OF DISTRIBUTION of crack cocaine.. smh.

This case def. shows of corrupt the justice system is. I can get into details if anyone is interested.

this only effects FEDERAL inmates

most ppl for drug offenses are in state institutions

this is a SMALL step in the right direction....

the washington post had a good article about this a few weeks ago

it would affect the most inmates in the Eastern District of VA (NOVA-Richmond) and that number is ~1,900

CjGenius368 wrote:
^ seriously???

For me (and i'm sure for Ru and the rest in this thread) this has absolutely NOTHING to do with "keeping it hood" or "flipping birds." That's extremely ignorant. Really, the problem is very simple. Crack and Cocaine are different forms of the SAME drug, so they should carry the same sentences. I couldn't care less about any kind of drug dealers, but the fact is that crack possession has historically been more prevalent in minority communities. The SIGNIFICANTLY harsher penalties for crack as opposed to cocaine possession are biased against minorities. I can't say whether or not this was intentional *coughREAGANcough*, but either way, it's unfair legislation.

so targeting violent inner city drug dealers is bad? maybe 5 years is over the line, i think the original intention was to use it as a scare tactic, eitherway it got reversed, and either way, its not something that has much bearing on my life seeing as i dont live in an area that has drug problems. i just thinkit will be sad to some of these guys get out and commit a crime that could have been prevented by just keeping them in there for the original sentence.

so targeting violent inner city drug dealers is bad?

yes... when drugs flow into the country almost at will (for every 1 brick they catch 100 slipped by...)

the 1 "thug" taken off the street will be eagerly replaced by the next generation... and the cycle continues

and what would you say if someone came out of a correctional facility and did something productive with their life?
maybe provided something for society that helped us all as a whole?
(not that our "correctional" institutions do a good job at rehab. because they damn sure don't)

EDIT: and as stated by harmcity, these guys are not violent... it aint like kingpins who ordered hits are gonna be released
mainly small time cats, with bad decision making skills.
its not something that has much bearing on my life seeing as i dont live in an area that has drug problems.

really? you seem to be mighty passionate about it based on posts in here and general forum (gentrification post, etc.)

The other point people seem to be missing is that these sentences also usually include the users if I am not mistaken. Especially for crack and how little youneed to have on you to get hit with these charges.

Originally Posted by Scott Scotch

The other point people seem to be missing is that these sentences also usually include the users if I am not mistaken. Especially for crack and how little you need to have on you to get hit with these charges.

Bingo Scotty... I did not put this up as a "congrats" to crack dealers but to point out the imbalance of our justice system.The comment regarding releasing these folks and they end up harming someone is silly.. crime is happening everyday to and by folks who have nothing to do withcrack sales and usage { see Mall and Church shootings in the Nation's heartland}
tired.gif

Take crack out the neighborhoods and off the street and that still does not solve the poor schools, poverty, lack of infrastructure, ect... effecting thiscountry....

If crack cocaine is prevalent in the inner city and you give crack dealers more time isnt that good for the inner city community.

Originally Posted by JordanFiend85

If crack cocaine is prevalent in the inner city and you give crack dealers more time isnt that good for the inner city community.
Thats like saying if you give Meth dealers more time... does that make the trailer parks and heartlands better???? And will hammering the subburbsand gated communities sellers of cocaine change THEIR situations???

I believe that the drug laws in America are in place for two reasons:
#1 to keep Non-White Americans from voting by creating felons out of people who either have a health problem(addicts) or people who have an economicproblem(dealers).
#2 to put billions of dollars that WE as tax payers give to the government, into the now Privatized prison system(one of the fastest growing sectors inbusiness).
The fact that a gram of cocain and a gram of crack are sentenced differently clearly shows the racism involved. If anything crack should be sentenced lessbecause it is usually less pure than cocaine. I really wish america would look at the drug problem for what it is, a health problem that is continuallyworsened by mis-education and lies.
I believ that the people that are going to be let out(due to the recent ruling) should be. That said, there will be problems with them when they are releasedbecasue Americas prison sysytem does not reform people or help them learn skillz(both social and business) that will help them to make a smooth transition backinto society. I think china's rate of return to prison is under 5% where i believe ours is over 65%.
I once was in court and saw the guy in front of me sentenced to 7 yrs for a 50 rock of crack, because he was in a "school zone". He was picking uphis daughter. She now has no father. It was a case of mandatory minimums. What do you think will harm our country more? some people getting high or youngkids without fathers?

I think the change is good. The previous sentencing standards were clearly unfair. What you have to understand that some people don't is thatALMOST ALL CRACK DEALERS/USERS ARRESTED ARE MINORITIES. On the opposite end cocaine is considered a more "affluent"drug, and it used more by white people. Which is why it was unfair

The problem with all of this is that most people arrested are small time drug dealers. We need to focus on where da hell all of this cocaine is coming frominstead of trying to "take dealers off the streets". Small time drug dealers are like government employees, you can get rid of one, but he'll bereplaced by the next day.

How can you be black and not understand this IS a step in the right direction to stop unjustly incarcerating those with addiction and have not dealt a day intheir life. Also, back when Crack became an epidemic, the sellers arrested were mostly 16 - 30 year old black men.

Vs. Cocaine Dealers selling not only to Black Communities, but mainly to affluent White communities. Why were they gettin FAR lesser sentencing?

Guess what... releasing those who can get out, most likely aren't the dangerous one's. Its those who had gun charges...in addition, but then again youcould get stiffer sentencing selling back then too.

Strong Opposition from the Bush Administration. Hmmmmm I wonder why that didn't surprise me?

BTW.. what Denzel movie was that which explained how Hoover and the FBI brought H and other drugs into the Hood back in the day?

Watch for the smoke screen. The law hasnt changed per se. Actually the law hasnt changed at all. All the court did was say that judges CAN use their discretionin sentencing (they do not have to). The law is still on "the books" and it will be for some time (in my humble opinion). The main problem with thelaw, as has already been mentioned, is that it targets minorities (whether you believe it or not) and punishes them disproportionately as to others selling thesame drug. Its like this, people in the "hood" do not import, refine, or cultivate cocaine all they do is cut it with baking soda to stretch it. Forthis they get ridiculously more time than the big fish that move the stuff into the country. The prisons/jails are littered with small time dope dealers (and Idont mean the shoe) doing long bids, while the big dudes are still moving the stuff into the country walking around free living like kings.

Back
Top Bottom