[Discussion] Downsizing/Minimizing Sneaker Collection or Quitting Collecting - WITH TIPS/RESOURCES

nycarem nycarem - damn, that sucks about the crumbling sneakers. I have 2 extra pairs of my two favorite shoes as I continue to wear out the main pairs I've been wearing now (Hyper Grape Huaraches and Infrared AM90s), but part of me is also debating about whether it's worth it because of that age factor and the fact that new shoes and reissues always come out.

I AGREE, TRYING TO SELL SHOES THESE DAYS IS HARD.

SEEMS LIKE THE MARKET HAS SLOWED ALLLL THE WAY DOWN.

I JUST DONT KNOW WHAT SHOPPER IS KEEPING UP WITH ALL THESE RELEASES!!! SHOE DROPS LITERALLY 7 DAYS A WEEK! GIVES ME A HEADACHE JUST THINKING ABOUT IT. :lol:

I think the used shoe market has died off a bit. I mean for me it has, I don’t really buy used shoes anymore like I once did.

But resale/brand new shoes is still thriving. But it is also very saturated with sellers/resellers as well.

I'm older so I've gone thru a few phases with this. Once my career got going in the late 90's I started collecting pretty heavy and by around 2003 I was well over 100 pairs (which was a lot for the time). Around then I also started a family, so I sold a lot of the valuable stuff (for nothing compared to what it would sell for now) and pretty much stopped paying attention to kicks entirely, stopped visiting this site and ISS/Sole Collector which were my main pre-social media hangouts. I didn't think anything of it because I had a closet full of rare heat that most new sneakerheads either had no way to get or knew nothing about. Other than 1 or 2 releases a year I was good for almost 20 years.

But during COVID I took the time to really go thru my stash and found that (surprise, surprise) all those shoes are starting to become unwearable as the materials break down. Now I have a stack of classic running shoes that are all basically trash due to foam falling apart, and another bunch of classic AF1's, Dunks, etc that are starting to come unglued, or with deflated airbags. I'm talking all my Co.JP kicks from the late 90's, Europe and Asia exclusive colorways that were hard to find when they were new, now they can't be worn unless I go to the trouble of getting them sole swapped, which honestly doesn't appeal very much to me. No idea what I'm going to do with them except throw away the ones that die on my feet. I just had to toss a beautiful pair of Air Max BW Paris St Germain that fell apart on me last week, it's depressing.

So now I have 40-50 pairs that I can't wear, another 20-30 that are wearable for now, but probably are going to die soon as well. And then about 20 that were bought in the last 4-5 years that I wear all the time. Nothing gets bought and stashed and no doubles of anything anymore. The most important lesson I have learned is that even though I love a shoe (or any other material object), that doesn't mean I have to possess it to be happy. It is good to learn to be able to appreciate things without being in a constant state of consuming and spending.

This is an EXCELLENT post! I know that feeling about the acquisition is better than actual wearing them. I find myself at such a better place after selling 135 pairs a few months ago. I still have about 25-30 pairs of OG shoes that I want to get rid of but most are not wearable. I'm thinking of putting them on eBay for cheap with a best offer, but after all the stories of PayPal reversals always in the buyer's favor, I'm nervous.

Example A would be a pair of OG Foamposite Max "Tim Duncan", the silver ones. They look great, but the bubble is fogged, and these will separate as soon as someone wears them. It's a perfect shoe for someone who wants to keep sealed in plastic wrap for a collection but that's it. I would put photos to show the condition, and state in the listing (and reiterate) these are for "collecting purposes only". I just dread that a buyer would flake and frankly lie that they aren't what was described. How do I get over that hang-up? I think I get rid of these pairs, I'll be in such a better spot and I'll be done with selling. Thanks for the help on my question. 🙏👍

Just sold another pair that 2 buyers flaked on. Thankfully this person actually paid. 4 more left to sell then I'll be goof for a little while

Saw some videos that hits on FOMO and manufactured exclusivity, the two things Nike and other brands heavily rely on with their marketing strategy.

ONCE I TAKE A L ON SNKRS FOR EXAMPLE… I DONT EVEN CARE ABOUT THE SHOE AFTER THAT. FOMO DOESN'T REALLY AFFECT ME.

Same! Within the year, I've also noticed the pattern of how some shoes will sit with me for a bit and I'll totally forget about it well less than 24 hours.

🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️😂😂 Sorry buddy. With some of us, we keep all the boxes and that makes storage even more of a dilemma.
I am happy most of the boxes i have piled up are brown and not the bright orange!
-
The orange ones def. makes you feel more guilty and addicted...... brown ones blend in better!
Brown boxes? That could be anything, does not have to be shoes inside!

:emoji_sweat_smile:

me and the fam getting ready to move, we re getting the house ready and i have been making multiple trips moving sneakers over to my moms. its giving me anxiety looking at all the sneakers and pulling them out of the closet, from under my bed, some in the basement. i am going to start getting rid of the older pairs before the fall apart on me.

me and the fam getting ready to move, we re getting the house ready and i have been making multiple trips moving sneakers over to my moms. its giving me anxiety looking at all the sneakers and pulling them out of the closet, from under my bed, some in the basement. i am going to start getting rid of the older pairs before the fall apart on me.

When you see the enormity of it all, it adds more stress. But the moment you move a bunch, you'll feel a weight lifted and it's a wonderful feeling. 👍

Ever since Nike reintroduced the Kobe line back on 8/10 with their stupid SNKRS infomercial and is choosing to run back the same **** and double down with limiting his shoes and line, that just officially struck a chord with me. I'll continue to like some of the things they make, but I honestly am not sure if I can continue buying Nike/Jordan products for a while moving forward. Extra reason to also sell most of my Nikes and just enjoy my few favorite Nikes right now til they're ran down to the ground (Infrared 90s, purple Huaraches).

Where are you guys mostly selling your DS pairs? When you sell, are you looking to get back what you paid for or taking a minimal loss? Been thinking of selling a lot of kicks lately, but I just can’t find the time to do it.

Where are you guys mostly selling your DS pairs? When you sell, are you looking to get back what you paid for or taking a minimal loss? Been thinking of selling a lot of kicks lately, but I just can’t find the time to do it.
I've have zero issues selling new/used on eBay. From used $20 pairs to random DS yeezy's/TS that were bought to flip. You can try and sell them for whatever you want. I tend to start high and entertain offers. Sometimes when it takes months you take what you can get and clear them out of your brain.

As several have said here, the pandemic bubble has bursted. Prices have gone down a lot and demand is way low IMO. I also take what i can get and move on. Nike pumping out so much lately and sell outs are not as often anymore

I been downsizing the past for yrs and sold a lot of impulse buys ,so my focus is OG colorways and some grails if Nike ever retro them like certain LeBrons

Same here buddy. Strictly shoes I feel are special to me, and stuff that I know won't be retroed for a long time. The Macs and the OG Flight Huaraches were those. The black/blue Fab Fives are what I want next. And probably a pair of Ships which are the unloved colors.

I've have zero issues selling new/used on eBay. From used $20 pairs to random DS yeezy's/TS that were bought to flip. You can try and sell them for whatever you want. I tend to start high and entertain offers. Sometimes when it takes months you take what you can get and clear them out of your brain.
Does Ebay hit you with the tax form and you have to report your earnings after you hit $600 in sales?

Back
Top Bottom