DISNEY Classics Live-Action Remakes - The Little Mermaid opens 05/26/23

Non middle eastern folks don't care about this. In fact, with Brown people taking the headliner roles, the South Asian community must be rejoicing.

Too bad for the Middle Eastern folks not getting the headliner roles here.

Actor who plays aladdin is Egyptian.

I was talking about the film in general, not the main character.

from the trailers and clips, i am not buying the dude whose playing aladdin, he doesn't have that charm and his line delivery doesn't sound too good

still seeing it opening though

ew_aladdin_cover_front-1.jpg

just comes off flat to me
like if there was no genie/magic involved it looks like a solid musical number.
hoping we just saw some watered down version and the theatrical version has:
-parade balloons
-"Fabulous Harry I Love the Feathers."
-Genie doing those talking animals in between

Didn't even make those dudes kneel when he sings the line

The thing that I thought they were both trying to match regardless of who plays the Genie was that energy and kinda being all over the place and random
I got a hint of that with the whole "Can you make me a prince?" bit
but it's almost like they tried to ground the genie in how he uses his magic.
I don't think I'm asking for too much is if there's a gag in every scene the genie is in

Song was pretty much halfway done and we got Abu smiling and Genie standing on running ostriches.
I KNOW we get the drag version Will, there's got to be more though

not knocking Will, just the atmosphere of how everything feels.

just comes off flat to me
like if there was no genie/magic involved it looks like a solid musical number.
hoping we just saw some watered down version and the theatrical version has:
-parade balloons
-"Fabulous Harry I Love the Feathers."
-Genie doing those talking animals in between

Didn't even make those dudes kneel when he sings the line

The thing that I thought they were both trying to match regardless of who plays the Genie was that energy and kinda being all over the place and random
I got a hint of that with the whole "Can you make me a prince?" bit
but it's almost like they tried to ground the genie in how he uses his magic.
I don't think I'm asking for too much is if there's a gag in every scene the genie is in

Song was pretty much halfway done and we got Abu smiling and Genie standing on running ostriches.
I KNOW we get the drag version Will, there's got to be more though

not knocking Will, just the atmosphere of how everything feels.

I totally agree. Compared to the animated version its flat. If you look at the original there's so much going on. Genie has crowd interaction, he even changes into an old man and little boy.

Aladdin looks so awkward too just sitting there where in the original he's doing things.

Last edited:
i think they are playing it off as aladdin being awkward because he just doesn't know how to be a prince which actually makes more sense if you think about it

Wills singing is just not as good as he is singing as Will Smith, Robin sang it like himself but his personality was already cartoonish

it's one of those situations where you're damn if you do and damned if you don't, Wills gon' Will and its hard to get used to that take on Genie

i think friend like me is the number that's going to be all out there with the visuals and cgi

Meet the 2019 Disney Legends to Be Honored at D23 Expo

780w-463h_051619_expo-disney-legends-release-4.jpg

JAMES EARL JONES started his acting career with television and film roles, including appearances in As the World Turns (1966) and Dr. Strangelove (1964). But the Oscar®, Emmy®, and Tony® Award-winning actor is well known for his iconic voice acting, beginning with the role of Darth Vader in Star Wars: A New Hope (1977). This villainous vocal performance was reprised in subsequent Star Wars films, including most recently in Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) and TV shows like Star Wars Rebels (2014–18). His voice can also be heard in Disney Parks around the globe, including recurring vocal performances as Darth Vader for Star Tours: The Adventures Continue. Other Disney credits include ABC’s Recess in 1998 as the voice of Santa Claus, narrator for the Disneynature film Earth (2009), segment host for Fantasia/2000 (2000), and as the celebrity narrator for the Candlelight Ceremony at Disneyland. Audiences also recognize the actor’s basso profundo as that of Mufasa in The Lion King (1994), a role James Earl would return to in The Lion King 2: Simba’s Pride (1998), The Lion Guard: Return of the Roar (2015), and this summer’s reimagining of The Lion King.

780w-463h_051619_expo-disney-legends-release-10.jpg

MING-NA WEN can currently be found saving the day as Agent Melinda May, aka “The Cavalry,” on the ABC series Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Ming-Na is also known for her seven years playing Jing-Mei Chen on ER. She found success on the big screen when she appeared in the acclaimed Hollywood Pictures adaptation of Amy Tan’s The Joy Luck Club. Five years later, she would find animation immortality as the title star of the Disney classic Mulan, a role for which she would receive an Annie Award. Ming-Na returned to the role of heroic Fa Mulan in a slew of projects, including an animated sequel, video games Kingdom Hearts II and Disney Infinity, on television’s House of Mouse and Sofia the First, and in the Walt Disney Animation Studios film Ralph Breaks the Internet (2018). Ming-Na has been well known to audiences for her television projects, including her voice work in Disney Channel’s Phineas and Ferb, Disney XD’s Guardians of the Galaxy and Milo Murphy’s Law, the six-part digital short Marvel Rising: Secret Warriors, and a recurring role in ABC’s Fresh Off the Boat.

I felt it in my soul that Aladdin was off and their remake of “Prince Ali” just confirmed it. Beyond the set piece looking flat, the song doesn’t haven’t the enthusiasm. Will is putting too much of himself in the role and it makes some instances where Genie should be over the top in energy, too “cool”. Everything is wrong with this movie with maybe my biggest gripe being Naomi Scott as Jasmine. She’s beautiful but she looks nothing like what Princess Jasmine should look like in real life. Don’t understand these miscasts when Disney has Sarah Haley Finn around the corner knocking every Marvel casting out of the park. Maybe it’s different because the look of comic book characters under the masks changes based on who is illustrating and these Disney characters have such classic looks. Regardless this kind of hurts knowing Aladdin was going to be butchered. I was EXTREMELY wrong about Beauty and the Beast and Emma Watson as Belle but even then she was the only casting gripe I had with the movie. Thought Luke Evans as Gaston was perfect and Josh Gad as LeFou was hilarious. I still haven’t seen Dumbo because I’m afraid of what the reviews described. I’m watching Aladdin on the 27th....

I have a weird feeling about Lion King too :smh:

Back
Top Bottom