Do teens give respect to older guys who collect????

Originally Posted by 13saldana13

I give my respect to all the older collectors unless they don't respect me. It really makes me mad when someone who has been collecting longer makes the generalization that the young kids are all hypebeast. I will agree that more than 90% of them are and they colect because it's a fad. I wouldn't consider myself a hypebeast so i'm offended when somebody thinks I am one. I also can't change when I was born. I'm almost sure I would have started collecting a long time ago if I was older.

On a side note I don't think you have to look up to Mike to be a true collector. A true collector (imo) is somebody who loves the shoes, regardless of the reason. I think Mike was a great athlete but I don't idolize him. I collect because I liked the shoes and i have great memories of me wearing them. That shouldn't make me any less of a colector than somebody who watched Mike play and do great things in the shoes.

Originally Posted by cmoweb

Only difference is, you were fiending for infrareds, they are beasting for Spiz-ikes.

that is the fundamental difference here, and anyone that cant see whats wrong with that never will "get" it.

Originally Posted by bigsupa

Waddup NT,

I just wanna know 1 thing....i have seen alot of threads here and it seems to be alot of HS kids on here. Is there a 30 and over crew? and if so, do ya young people resepect our game or are we just a bunch of hypebeasts the way i have heard some of ya say while I was waiting on line for the 14/9 packs this weekend.

Can it be that we don't have to ask mom or dad for $$$ to buy J"s? Or that we can go at anytime of the night at a drop of a dyme for a release. Or that we may still have some OG DS GRAILS that you may want???

All i have to say to you kids is this...those of us who are 30+ have seen Mike play, we bought his kicks when he was dominating the knicks, suns, lakers, blazers, celtics and hawks! we were there when he went to barcelona and rocked the olympic 7's. basically wa i am trying to say is this...we supported this habit of collecting his shoes cuz each shoe meant something special NOT because there was a release date and everyone wanted to get them. we layed the foundation to this game!!! if we would have never bought his shoe what would you be rocking now???

I respect all you guys who are out there showing mike love...but when you see that guy on a line waiting to get a pr of kicks your gonna get, don't hate cuz he has your size and was there b4 you!!! remember this...when there were no such things as retro's we where on a line already!!!

Now to all my sneakerheads keep on hustling and doing your thing my peoples...and remember 30yrs from now you will see a pr of VI wh/blue hit the shelves for $1000 and ppl will buy them cuz they are retro's!!!

IT'S JUST ANOTHER CASE OF THAT OL' P T A!!

I dont care if u guys call me a hypebeast just cuz I like waithing in line to get my pair of retros. Im 16 and work my %## of in work so I can have moneyfor my next retro. I dont ask my parents for money so I can buy my Jordans. @+*!!!!If guys actually do that, thats some sad stuff. I remeber seeing Jordanwith the bulls vs the Milk Manm and his JAZZ. Dont say that You guys were the only ones growing up seeing him, sure I dint see him play since his rookie yearbut that doesnt make you guys more than us. Its like me thinking im better than my 6 year old bro cuz he didnt see Kobe since the begging of his carrier. Ilove Jordan. HYPEBEAST???OK!!?? I respect the older cats but do not respect the ones who think there are the shhhh and calling everyone else HYPEBEASTS!!!!Ifu respect, then I respect you.

i think that its funny when you meet some young cats and they say something like "I have mad J's" and you ask them home much and they say like 10 or 11 pairs! I just sit there and laugh!!!

That is funny. But I think the opposite is worse. I remember I met up with some kid to sell him some kicks. He asked how many J's do I have, I said around 40 pairs. He laughed, and was like "thats it? I got 80 pairs." I congratulated him as he paid me 3x what I paid, for a pair of Dunks.
That guy was a dooshe, and he had no respect. He probably had a closet full of Melos and team Jumpmans too.
laugh.gif

To a lot of kids, its a fad, a contest. But Im not saying all of you guys are like that. I actually think the respect is generally there. I met some cool young bucks in line at UNDFTD throughout the years. Im 29, and I dont think you needed to follow MJ's career to be a legit fan. (Whatever that may be). bigsupa's second post is making it seem that way.

young kids are all hypebeast
only when i see you guys in undftd shirts, whatever cheesy new era, and other crap, trendy street labels like crooks & castles, or whatevernew fad is out for you youngsters.

but...

i feel the same way about upper twenty-something's who do the same thing.

i respect the young kids doing the collecting these days. this past wknd i realized that my my 12 years of doing this, that i think i'm getting burnt outand it's time to turn the game over to these new kids. there is NO WAY that i need to have a sneaker so bad that i wait in line when IT'S SNOWING. keep in mind, this isn't that eastcoast snow. this is oregon and its snow/rain mix. but the revelation i had when standing in like for the barron'spack, i decided that this will be my last year and it's time to move onto a new hobbie.

while standing in line, i see the HS kids and it reminds me of the same dedication i had at that age (i'm 27 now, and maybe close to 500-700 prs later). running thru the northridge mall and fox hills mall to grab my spot in front of footaction, to waiting in line in the snow... these kids still show the heartit takes to wanting and getting a sneaker. call me old-fashioned but the wait and anticipation is the best part of sneaker launch days. i can respect a youngcat who does what it takes to get that sneaker that they feel they MUST have. think about it, we really don't NEED these shoes. you only need maybe 3 prsfor a 6 month rotation, then buy another 3 for the next. but we do this because we LOVE it and it's our hobby. you gotta have respect all across the ageranges for people who do what we do.

dumbest post I ever read.........they are just shoes why should anyone "respect" you for collecting a commercial good before someoneelse?................
roll.gif
roll.gif

Well you really cant blame them for not being around as long as some of us older cats. I myself am 28 and have slowed down in the shoe game due to the poorquality and the over production of tacky clown colors lately. But these young'ns are what keep this brand alive whether you like it or not! They too willhave stories to tell about lining up @ 5 a.m. 10 yrs from now. While we talk about how seeing MJ playing in his shoes while laying down the blueprint ofGreatness was the reason why we bought the shoes. Plus everyone has their own reason for buying a pair of J's. playing ball, nostalgia, collecting..... allI know is that Ive enjoyed every penny Ive spent on each pair. Thats all that matters!

Back
Top Bottom