Do You Consider Racing a Sport? (Paging MrMundayNite)

So, my cousin MrMundayNite and I were having this argument over the weekend... He argued that Racing (F1, Nascar, etc.) was not a sport... He said that itrequires no skill to turn the wheel right and left while going 200 mph... According to him, anyone could go on a highway and drive 200 mph... He completelydisregards the fact controlling a 700+ HP going 200 mph around tight twists and turns isn't easy... So, I thought I'd come ask you guys what youthought about this... In your opinion, is Racing a sport? MrMundayNite, if you'd like to chime in and correct anything that I might have statedincorrectly, feel free to do so...

Originally Posted by RonMexico7

So, my cousin MrMundayNite and I were having this argument over the weekend... He argued that Racing (F1, Nascar, etc.) was not a sport... He said that it requires no skill to turn the wheel right and left while going 200 mph... According to him, anyone could go on a highway and drive 200 mph... He completely disregards the fact controlling a 700+ HP going 200 mph around tight twists and turns isn't easy... So, I thought I'd come ask you guys what you thought about this... In your opinion, is Racing a sport? MrMundayNite, if you'd like to chime in and correct anything that I might have stated incorrectly, feel free to do so...
It might not be easy but it damn sure isn't a sport

No....in sports bigger, stronger, faster is a key..

in racing are you better than the next man because your right foot is bigger, stronger and faster than the next mans?

The word sport is fluid in definition. If I had to put all the known sports in the world in a Venn diagram
I would put in the middle kinda section. There really isn't a physical apsect to it but racing does take conditioning, strategy, and only a handful ofpeople with training can perform well.

It requires physical fitness, skill, and reaction time. I vote yes.

I'm ignorant, but what kind of conditioning does racing take?

They're sitting in a car for hours without nutrition or hydration, often on a hot day, and in a hot flame suit. To me, that takes physical and mentalendurance. They also require a lot of physical strength/endurance in the shoulders and core in order to hold the car and their bodies steady in strong lateralG forces.

Originally Posted by ChewToy112

It requires physical fitness, skill, and reaction time. I vote yes.

They're sitting in a car for hours without nutrition or hydration, often on a hot day, and in a hot flame suit. To me, that takes physical and mental endurance. They also require a lot of physical strength/endurance in the shoulders and core in order to hold the car and their bodies steady in strong lateral G forces.

So are truck drivers athletes? I mean, its much harder to drive a 16 wheeler than a sports car.

those lateral g forces would make plenty of unconditioned drivers nauseous after a few laps. racing requires plenty of strategy and practice just like anyother sport, plus it still is a competition. id say +1 for sport.

Originally Posted by RonMexico7

Not to mention that they lose over up to 10 pounds of fluid during 1 race...
you can lose a couple pounds of fluid playing chess on a hot day in Brooklyn...doesn't make it a sport tho....

I'm still not buying the argument that NASCAR is a sport...no way.

yes

dont tell me you'd say golf is a spot but nascar isnt....plain quackery.

and i loathe nascar

Originally Posted by Grand 0ld Party

nascar isnt a sport

alms, f1, touring cars: YES

bingo.
Tons. Unless you've been involved yourself or known someone personally who is, you can't really appreciate the full magnitude ofconditioning that top level drivers go through. For example, Jenson Button entered a couple triathlons without really altering his training.
The testing endurance event consists of a 1,500-metre swim in the River Thames, a 42-kilometre bike ride through neighbouring villages and a 10-kilometre run through Windsor Great Park. It is one of the most well-established and popular in Britain. Button came provisionally 117th of 1,624 finishers overall. However, he was 14th in his category with a time of 02:22:43. He was competing in the male 25-29 age-group in the full-distance event.
Tell me that he isn't conditioned. True racing (not NASCAR) involves physical stamina in being able to deal with g force loads while honingyour reaction times. It isn't just a physical, but a mental challenge concurrently. I'd like to see the general NT population subject themselves to 4+g's. Trying to turn with your head having an apparent weight of over 50 pounds, necks would literally be broken, people would blackout because theycouldn't breathe from the force on their chest, etc. It's most definitely a sport.

I don't think it's a sport...but many will disagree. It's a discussion that we could go back and forth on.

No. And stop using that, "it's difficult, you can't do it," argument. They need to get this crap, and Poker, and fishing off tv. Just make aQuasiSports Channel and go to town with all the fishing, spelling bees, poker, pool, bowling, and Nascar and leave ESPN for the real sports

Originally Posted by curt2121

ah, the usual ignorant cries of no with no rational reasoning behind them. Typical
i agree. it IS a sport. if it takes practice and only certain people can do it, since its so difficult, its a sport.

Originally Posted by tmoney85

Originally Posted by curt2121

ah, the usual ignorant cries of no with no rational reasoning behind them. Typical
i agree. it IS a sport. if it takes practice and only certain people can do it, since its so difficult, its a sport.

Ok...what about poker? You need stamina, practice, etc...is that a sport?

i'd absolutely consider formula 1 a sport. certain corners can put the driver under 5G of lateral forces. its one of those things where you'd have tobe in an open car and driving to really understand the stresses it exerts on you physically. the incredible acceleration and braking on every straight and turnputs multiple G's of forces and an average person wouldnt last in that situation for very long let alone driving focused while making no errors.

By definition, yes, it most definitely is a sport.

By that standard, though, me having a footrace with my neighbor down to the end of the street and back is a sport.

Whether NASCAR, F1, etc. are viewed as sports varies by person, and where that person chooses to draw a line in the definition of "sport." I wouldsay there is no real answer to this question.

Back
Top Bottom