Do You Consider Racing a Sport? (Paging MrMundayNite)

Originally Posted by curt2121

Originally Posted by Grand 0ld Party

nascar isnt a sport

alms, f1, touring cars: YES

bingo.
I'm ignorant, but what kind of conditioning does racing take?
Tons. Unless you've been involved yourself or known someone personally who is, you can't really appreciate the full magnitude of conditioning that top level drivers go through. For example, Jenson Button entered a couple triathlons without really altering his training.
The testing endurance event consists of a 1,500-metre swim in the River Thames, a 42-kilometre bike ride through neighbouring villages and a 10-kilometre run through Windsor Great Park. It is one of the most well-established and popular in Britain. Button came provisionally 117th of 1,624 finishers overall. However, he was 14th in his category with a time of 02:22:43. He was competing in the male 25-29 age-group in the full-distance event.
Tell me that he isn't conditioned. True racing (not NASCAR) involves physical stamina in being able to deal with g force loads while honing your reaction times. It isn't just a physical, but a mental challenge concurrently. I'd like to see the general NT population subject themselves to 4+ g's. Trying to turn with your head having an apparent weight of over 50 pounds, necks would literally be broken, people would blackout because they couldn't breathe from the force on their chest, etc. It's most definitely a sport.
Damn, sounds intense
eek.gif

you can play defense and offense so i say it is a sport.

there are different genres of sports. although motosports in general is the dumbest thing ever. biggest waste of resources i have ever seen.

i'd call it a sport before i call golf a sport

it's not a sport the way basketball is a sport, but it's still sport nonetheless.

Originally Posted by DRJordanFreak88

those lateral g forces would make plenty of unconditioned drivers nauseous after a few laps. racing requires plenty of strategy and practice just like any other sport, plus it still is a competition. id say +1 for sport.

........... its a motorsport...

Originally Posted by RonMexico7

So, my cousin MrMundayNite and I were having this argument over the weekend... He argued that Racing (F1, Nascar, etc.) was not a sport... He said that it requires no skill to turn the wheel right and left while going 200 mph... According to him, anyone could go on a highway and drive 200 mph... He completely disregards the fact controlling a 700+ HP going 200 mph around tight twists and turns isn't easy... So, I thought I'd come ask you guys what you thought about this... In your opinion, is Racing a sport? MrMundayNite, if you'd like to chime in and correct anything that I might have stated incorrectly, feel free to do so...

thats pretty stupid. if anyone can easily win a race why do you see the same people winning races? kyle busch, jimmie johnson on the nascar side. it takes theperfect pit stop and right repairs on the car to win a race so there is strategy involved. so most deff its a sport

Originally Posted by jville819

So, my cousin MrMundayNite and I were having this argument over the weekend... He argued that Racing (F1, Nascar, etc.) was not a sport... He said that it requires no skill to turn the wheel right and left while going 200 mph... According to him, anyone could go on a highway and drive 200 mph... He completely disregards the fact controlling a 700+ HP going 200 mph around tight twists and turns isn't easy... So, I thought I'd come ask you guys what you thought about this... In your opinion, is Racing a sport? MrMundayNite, if you'd like to chime in and correct anything that I might have stated incorrectly, feel free to do so...
It might not be easy but it damn sure isn't a sport
QFT

nascar isnt a sport

bingo.
Tons. Unless you've been involved yourself or known someone personally who is, you can't really appreciate the full magnitude of conditioning that top level drivers go through. For example, Jenson Button entered a couple triathlons without really altering his training.
The testing endurance event consists of a 1,500-metre swim in the River Thames, a 42-kilometre bike ride through neighbouring villages and a 10-kilometre run through Windsor Great Park. It is one of the most well-established and popular in Britain. Button came provisionally 117th of 1,624 finishers overall. However, he was 14th in his category with a time of 02:22:43. He was competing in the male 25-29 age-group in the full-distance event.
Tell me that he isn't conditioned. True racing (not NASCAR) involves physical stamina in being able to deal with g force loads while honing your reaction times. It isn't just a physical, but a mental challenge concurrently. I'd like to see the general NT population subject themselves to 4+ g's. Trying to turn with your head having an apparent weight of over 50 pounds, necks would literally be broken, people would blackout because they couldn't breathe from the force on their chest, etc. It's most definitely a sport.

Sums it up really...�

Lets put it this way, it can be argued that racing may or may not be a sport, but for�sure,�racecar drivers (especially F1 drivers) are mostdefinitely�high-performance�athletes.��And its not just phyical ability/stamina... you also need�cat-like reactions�and 100% concentration during the entirerace.�

Check this out... this is a Top Gear video featuring Richard Hammond (a British motor journalist) driving an F1 car.� He's never driven one before and hasthe "simple"�task of driving (not racing)�a Renault F1 racer 2�laps around a racetrack.�

��

Originally Posted by tmoney85

ah, the usual ignorant cries of no with no rational reasoning behind them. Typical
i agree. it IS a sport. if it takes practice and only certain people can do it, since its so difficult, its a sport.
yes, racing is a sport. i would love to see some of you going 170 plus on SLICK tires on a 40 degree bank inches from another car. i guaranteealmost all of you would crash and possibly die. because yes, its very easy to die in this sport. hell, i bet half of the ppl in here couldnt take the g-forcesof some roller coasters lol. and you do have to be in shape to race. you use your core the whole time you are in that car to fight the g forces. plus you haveto have control of the car at all times and that isnt easy.

how easy is it to drive a sports car really fast? how about you ask all these ppl that buy expensive cars and end up wrecking because they couldnt handle thepower. these cars drive really different then the ones you see one the street too. every week, they are fine tuned to a science for the track they are runningon. without motorsports, none of you would even have your beloved M series. why do you think some car companies make you take a course before you even buy someof their cars? because they are not easy to handle and shouldnt be in the hands of ppl that underestemate them and end up killing themselves or the ppl aroundthem.

He said that it requires no skill to turn the wheel right and left while going 200 mph...
Of course you need skill to race... But you also need skill for playing video games and last time I checked, that isn't a sport either.

Originally Posted by eight2one

it is a MOTORsport.
I have this argument with one of my roommates at least once a week. He's a huge NASCAR fan and I've heard how it gets 100+ degrees in thecar, facing 200 gs constantly, blah blah..

At the very end of the day, you are still driving a car. I dont care if you go through hell to do it. There is no way I'd ever hold it in the same regardas basketball, football, etc.. or even freakin cheerleading (competitive sport... no objective scoring...). Not takin anything away from nascar though..

nascar isnt a sport

bingo.

I think what's funny is that all the heads in here saying 'racing isn't a sport, racing isn't a sport' aren't even bothering to readyour post, or refute it point for point. It's like they can't wrap their heads around your argument.

Don't even bother wasting another moment trying to change people's minds on here. People will stay ignorant.

*+++ no it's not a sport.

For those who play golf, why do you guys consider it a sport? I don't really know anything about it and have never played golf. And is bowling considered asport?

Originally Posted by s0leFUNK

Originally Posted by eight2one

it is a MOTORsport.
I have this argument with one of my roommates at least once a week. He's a huge NASCAR fan and I've heard how it gets 100+ degrees in the car, facing 200 gs constantly, blah blah..

At the very end of the day, you are still driving a car. I dont care if you go through hell to do it. There is no way I'd ever hold it in the same regard as basketball, football, etc.. or even freakin cheerleading (competitive sport... no objective scoring...). Not takin anything away from nascar though..

QFT, i know what you go thru!

i also consider nascar and indycar to be sports; i would argue that it is just as draining to hold a constant speed of 180+ mph in comparison with the otherracing series.

Does it require skill? Of course it does, it requires a great deal of skill that most people are not able to master. But then again, so does playing aninstrument. Is playing an instrument a sport because it's difficult? I mean, I do get pretty hot and tired while playing my guitar.

Originally Posted by doctorshoes

Does it require skill? Of course it does, it requires a great deal of skill that most people are not able to master. But then again, so does playing an instrument. Is playing an instrument a sport because it's difficult? I mean, I do get pretty hot and tired while playing my guitar.
you sound fat

Noo. Some people too quick to label themselves as "athletes" or something. It's just like a game, but NOT sport.
You're driving a damn car..

...at an astronomical speed, while passing your competition, and trying to win.

competitive competition involving athletes equals sport in my eyes.

The main argument against Nascars qualification as a sport seems to be the fact that the vehicle they are driving is doing most of the work. If that is the by that logic any sport that uses a tool can't considered a sport right?

Is tennis a sport?
Is horse riding a sport?
Is Hockey a sport?
Is Baseball a sport?

All those sports require a tool to execute the object of the game just like nascar? If Nascar isn't a sport the why are these considered sports? Never mind the fact it requires a great deal of concentration, coordination and physical fortitude to drive these vehicles at such a incredible speeds. Don't drivers lose like 15 pounds each race? That seems pretty physically intensive to me...
ohwell.gif

Back
Top Bottom