Do you guys think movies in the 80's were more darker and grittier?

I was looking at a few 80's movies that I have in my collection and I must say that a lot of them seem very gritty compared to 90's and 2000's movies. Prime example of a gritty movie, "Bad Boys" with Sean Penn that released in 1983.. What do you guys think?

I remember the action movies being more phony too, no one would get hit by machine guns even if a hundred bullets flew towards them.

It's a combination of us watching those movies as kids and the way the movies were shot. Every movie today relies heavily on CGI and effects, it makes movies seem less "raw".

Yea, some of the stuff from movies of that era wouldn't get a pass now.

I still enjoy it now.

Last edited:
Yea I used to think that until Hostel, Saw, and all of those bloodier nastier remakes came out

I spit on your grave

Head in Microwave

The scores and sound tracks were a lot better. Full orchestras and songs dedicated to specific scenes in specific movies! Especially the motivational theme songs...

Also movies werent afraid to gO rated r back then.. Theyre turning everything pg13 these days for mainstream appeal. Even remakes that used to be rated r.. If they make robocop pg13 ima be pisssed!!

I love the action movies of the 80s .... ie robocop, die hard, predator... dudes would get shot in the head with no dambs given.

A movie like Hardboiled wouldnt work nowadays .Back then protagonist were hands on nowadays average action movie protagonist arent really trained killers they happen to be victim of circumstance who happen to pick up a gun or too and become skilled with it in seconds. Take a movie like Hardboiled now they would make the protagonist a rookie cop who happens to uncover all of this and stumbles his way through the story .

One of my favorite films of all time. But it's from the 90's though.

Same here. I know it's from the 90's. That was kinda my point. I don't necessarily think 80's movies were darker.

My bad. Thought you were referring to it as an 80's flick. How about Escape From New York? First Blood? Predator? Oh, and I do like 80's flicks. However cheesy or weird they might be.

Back
Top Bottom