do you have a moral problem with collegiate players accepting money?

Yeah, but there you go. Football and basketball (mostly Football) are the ones raking in the dough for these schools. Not Lacrosse or Baseball or any other sport. So how can you justify paying a Lacrosse player the same as a Football player?

True but what would be the rule at schools where other sports bring in dough? My school (Minnesota) for instance makes huge money from their hockey program. Would those guys then be entitled to cash...and if so what if they had a couple down years and didn't make any money....do you tell the kids no dice? And then work it year by year? And as we know what about the kids who are basically players filling out the rosters who never play...as opposed to superstar players.

Originally Posted by dreClark

Originally Posted by Trelvis Tha Thrilla

People under value how much a scholarship is really worth.
At the same time,  people undervalue the commitment it takes to be a high major D1 student/athlete

i always figured it was harder for the mid major athletes, since they actually have to go to class and what not.

At the same time,  people undervalue the commitment it takes to be a high major D1 student/athlete

i always figured it was harder for the mid major athletes, since they actually have to go to class and what not.

RyGuy,

I mean you're right. There's too many moving parts to this whole thing. I don't know the solution.

RyGuy,

I mean you're right. There's too many moving parts to this whole thing. I don't know the solution.

You just hope kids (and to that extent coaches) take the education part seriously. Regardless if kids are taking cash under the table for the time being there still is about 95% of them never playing in the pros and thus having to later go get a job. For how much we harp on players not getting any of the pie we also should be harping on the lack of anyone caring to get these kids an education and on the path to a degree and a financial future.

You just hope kids (and to that extent coaches) take the education part seriously. Regardless if kids are taking cash under the table for the time being there still is about 95% of them never playing in the pros and thus having to later go get a job. For how much we harp on players not getting any of the pie we also should be harping on the lack of anyone caring to get these kids an education and on the path to a degree and a financial future.

yeah i guess it's too sophisticated to actually work out... alot of factors i didn't think about

yeah i guess it's too sophisticated to actually work out... alot of factors i didn't think about

Only 14 athletic programs in the country actually turned a profit last year, the schools aren't making that much money off of athletics. Sure, football makes the most money for the school's athletic department, but overall a majority of the schools are struggling to operate in the black. They aren't sitting back counting stacks off of athletics.

I don't blame players for taking cash on the side, because if I were in their spot I would be very tempted and it'd be hard to turn down. But at the same time I don't feel sorry for them when they get caught and suffer for it because they know what the rules are and still chose to break them.

Only 14 athletic programs in the country actually turned a profit last year, the schools aren't making that much money off of athletics. Sure, football makes the most money for the school's athletic department, but overall a majority of the schools are struggling to operate in the black. They aren't sitting back counting stacks off of athletics.

I don't blame players for taking cash on the side, because if I were in their spot I would be very tempted and it'd be hard to turn down. But at the same time I don't feel sorry for them when they get caught and suffer for it because they know what the rules are and still chose to break them.

Originally Posted by In Yo Nostril

Unless you go to Kentucky or whatever school Tim Floyd is coaching at, you have to go to class and the majority of the athletes do (Those who don't are usually suspended and ruled ineligible).  This idea that the great players don't go to class (during the first semester if they're a one and done candidate) is asinine. 

Originally Posted by In Yo Nostril

Unless you go to Kentucky or whatever school Tim Floyd is coaching at, you have to go to class and the majority of the athletes do (Those who don't are usually suspended and ruled ineligible).  This idea that the great players don't go to class (during the first semester if they're a one and done candidate) is asinine. 

Back
Top Bottom