do you have a moral problem with collegiate players accepting money?

Nope, the amount of time that they put into practices, workouts, etc. makes it like they're working a full-time job as well as playing going to school.

Nope, the amount of time that they put into practices, workouts, etc. makes it like they're working a full-time job as well as playing going to school.

i don't, especially for the kids that are in school to make it to the pros...same reason one kids goes to mit to become an engineer is the reason a running back goes to ohio state

the system needs to be changed

i don't, especially for the kids that are in school to make it to the pros...same reason one kids goes to mit to become an engineer is the reason a running back goes to ohio state

the system needs to be changed

Mez. It's true . Only q handful of athletic depts turn a profit. It's because basket ball & football revenue foot the bill for the other non revenue sports such as men & womans tennis, track etc...

Mez. It's true . Only q handful of athletic depts turn a profit. It's because basket ball & football revenue foot the bill for the other non revenue sports such as men & womans tennis, track etc...

Originally Posted by ElijahBrohammed

Originally Posted by Biggie62

Originally Posted by 5am6oody72

Only 14 athletic programs in the country actually turned a profit last year, the schools aren't making that much money off of athletics. Sure, football makes the most money for the school's athletic department, but overall a majority of the schools are struggling to operate in the black. They aren't sitting back counting stacks off of athletics.

I don't blame players for taking cash on the side, because if I were in their spot I would be very tempted and it'd be hard to turn down. But at the same time I don't feel sorry for them when they get caught and suffer for it because they know what the rules are and still chose to break them.

THIS!!!!

Schools are cutting academic investments, which are what colleges should be about, for a money-sink in most cases.  I'm totally against athletic scholarships as with my experience with athletes at Fordham was that they are dumb as bricks.  Why should someone who couldn't outscore me on a college test level when I was in grammar school have the opportunity to take a seat from someone who's more deserving.  But better yet, why should he/she take money that could go into something better such as improvement of laboratories, scholarship for someone who's smart enough but too poor to attend the school, or something along those lines.  Athletics should be purely about school pride with nothing else attached to them.  You want to play?  Sure play, but you better be busting your @*$ in school because you get no slack.  Neither do you get any money in return.  The only thing you get is the enjoyment that you're playing the sport you love and representing your school's pride.
eyes.gif
Get off of your high horse. Although you may think so you're not better than any of those athletes.
High horse?  Okay let me get at something.  How many of Fordham's athletes will play professionally somewhere?  Less than 1% is my guess.  How many of these people took their education seriously?  Very few if any and the ones that did were mostly not in the major sports.  They were on track, rugby, soccer, ect. 

It's not being on a high horse, it's being realistic.  If you look at the transformation of Rutgers from the 80s to now you see how high level athletics destroy academic progress.  Many high end students refuse to go to Rutgers now because they have been slowly cutting academic investment in favor of athletics.  What has that netted them?  Sports are still losing over 20 million a year.  The basketball team is still garbage and the football team is still just above average and most importantly of all, still netting the school an economic loss.

So don't high horse me when the true role of colleges and universities are being hampered by something that makes no economic sense.  Nor does it make moral sense because most of these so called "student-athletes," when in actuality they are just semi-pro athletes. 

But at least I'll always get an enjoyment in reading articles when 60% of the athletes go broke within 2 years of retirement.  Guess you should of went to the economics class and payed attention huh?

Originally Posted by ElijahBrohammed

Originally Posted by Biggie62

Originally Posted by 5am6oody72

Only 14 athletic programs in the country actually turned a profit last year, the schools aren't making that much money off of athletics. Sure, football makes the most money for the school's athletic department, but overall a majority of the schools are struggling to operate in the black. They aren't sitting back counting stacks off of athletics.

I don't blame players for taking cash on the side, because if I were in their spot I would be very tempted and it'd be hard to turn down. But at the same time I don't feel sorry for them when they get caught and suffer for it because they know what the rules are and still chose to break them.

THIS!!!!

Schools are cutting academic investments, which are what colleges should be about, for a money-sink in most cases.  I'm totally against athletic scholarships as with my experience with athletes at Fordham was that they are dumb as bricks.  Why should someone who couldn't outscore me on a college test level when I was in grammar school have the opportunity to take a seat from someone who's more deserving.  But better yet, why should he/she take money that could go into something better such as improvement of laboratories, scholarship for someone who's smart enough but too poor to attend the school, or something along those lines.  Athletics should be purely about school pride with nothing else attached to them.  You want to play?  Sure play, but you better be busting your @*$ in school because you get no slack.  Neither do you get any money in return.  The only thing you get is the enjoyment that you're playing the sport you love and representing your school's pride.
eyes.gif
Get off of your high horse. Although you may think so you're not better than any of those athletes.
High horse?  Okay let me get at something.  How many of Fordham's athletes will play professionally somewhere?  Less than 1% is my guess.  How many of these people took their education seriously?  Very few if any and the ones that did were mostly not in the major sports.  They were on track, rugby, soccer, ect. 

It's not being on a high horse, it's being realistic.  If you look at the transformation of Rutgers from the 80s to now you see how high level athletics destroy academic progress.  Many high end students refuse to go to Rutgers now because they have been slowly cutting academic investment in favor of athletics.  What has that netted them?  Sports are still losing over 20 million a year.  The basketball team is still garbage and the football team is still just above average and most importantly of all, still netting the school an economic loss.

So don't high horse me when the true role of colleges and universities are being hampered by something that makes no economic sense.  Nor does it make moral sense because most of these so called "student-athletes," when in actuality they are just semi-pro athletes. 

But at least I'll always get an enjoyment in reading articles when 60% of the athletes go broke within 2 years of retirement.  Guess you should of went to the economics class and payed attention huh?

Biggie you do realize countless A.D's and presidents have explained how having successful football/bball programs makes for more grants, donations, applicants, alumni interest, etc. I'm not disagreeing with your other points nor can I speak for Rutgers itself, but I think it's a tad off base to say "high level athletics destroy academic progress." There are many schools out there that have had their entire structure changed for the better because of their football program becoming relevant...and that's not us saying it - it's the presidents.

Biggie you do realize countless A.D's and presidents have explained how having successful football/bball programs makes for more grants, donations, applicants, alumni interest, etc. I'm not disagreeing with your other points nor can I speak for Rutgers itself, but I think it's a tad off base to say "high level athletics destroy academic progress." There are many schools out there that have had their entire structure changed for the better because of their football program becoming relevant...and that's not us saying it - it's the presidents.

But that's just a way of justifying the need for athletics. Rutgers is a prime example where a president was put in place in the early/mid 00s that was known as a supporter of college athletics in the past. They put him there because they knew that he'd garner support for the program, and at the same time divert money from academics towards the athletics program. Just look up the history of Richard Levis McCormick. Dude is known to do dirty things for athletics programs. And people like him are the ones in charge of the universities that are the so called "top tier" of college athletics. They are a dime a dozen out there now.

But you know what I find the funniest thing of all when it comes to college athletics and the support they garner? I remember reading where a few universities were considering to drop some of their so called "money" programs. Do you know who was fighting to not allow this to occur? The citizens of the states and the surrounding areas of these universities. Now honestly, @$% do these people have to do with what the school chooses to do, especially if it's a private university. They aren't alumni, some never had their children or grandchildren attend that school. Why should these people's support have anything to do with the universities choice to keep a sports program alive. They shouldn't, but especially in the southern universities, this have become a prevalent occurrence.

But that's just a way of justifying the need for athletics. Rutgers is a prime example where a president was put in place in the early/mid 00s that was known as a supporter of college athletics in the past. They put him there because they knew that he'd garner support for the program, and at the same time divert money from academics towards the athletics program. Just look up the history of Richard Levis McCormick. Dude is known to do dirty things for athletics programs. And people like him are the ones in charge of the universities that are the so called "top tier" of college athletics. They are a dime a dozen out there now.

But you know what I find the funniest thing of all when it comes to college athletics and the support they garner? I remember reading where a few universities were considering to drop some of their so called "money" programs. Do you know who was fighting to not allow this to occur? The citizens of the states and the surrounding areas of these universities. Now honestly, @$% do these people have to do with what the school chooses to do, especially if it's a private university. They aren't alumni, some never had their children or grandchildren attend that school. Why should these people's support have anything to do with the universities choice to keep a sports program alive. They shouldn't, but especially in the southern universities, this have become a prevalent occurrence.

Originally Posted by moneyisthemotive

sorry, not buying it ...

if you have the god given ability this is the easiest path in life ... you can get your college tuition paid for and all you have to do is play a game ... attend practice, workout in the offseason and chill ...

as for going to class ... you have to attend class just like everyone else and during your season you have to go to practice instead of playing video games ... once the season is over you do nothing but work out and coast ...
You are an idiot.

You have no idea what they go through in daily basis. You think D1 athletes are just ones you see on ESPN,  right? I can tell you from PERSONALLY seeing some of these guys and I can't imagine what they have to put up not only to continue their atheletic career (to honor their scholarship) and to excel in academics. Them 'excel' in the academics doesn't exactly mean getting cum laude when it's all said and done but from what I've seen, they bust their tails off to get things done. Many of these kids won't make it to pros and they know it (some sports doesn't even have a professional league, let me remind you) so they have to work extra hard to get the degree. That means waking up in 5-6 am for a practice when everyone's sleeping and stay up late through wee hours in the morning to get their papers/projects done. Yes, some of these dudes don't deserve to be in college but I don't wanna single atheletes out on that. There are plenty of kids in college campuses that doesn't deserve to be in school. There are bad apples in every tree but that doesn't mean all of them are just taking a chill pill for 4 years and let this #*#% fly by.

I have friends who were in same major as I was and they participated in sports (track and swimming, respectively) and they sometime barely have money to buy lunches so coaches have to take them out for a sandwich with their own money. I'm not saying they should sign these kids into a contract but maybe they should let them have a similar benefits as those kids in work-study programs. You don't get huge chunk of money out of that, plus, you can only work for certain hours a week.

As far as money goes, I don't have problem with them taking money. I actually have moral issues with NCAA because if they think it's such a big problem, maybe they should do a better job enforcing it rather than just handing out suspensions left and right. However, if their family members or 'associates' blatantly asking for it (i.e. Reggie Bush), I actually have a problem with that.

Originally Posted by moneyisthemotive

sorry, not buying it ...

if you have the god given ability this is the easiest path in life ... you can get your college tuition paid for and all you have to do is play a game ... attend practice, workout in the offseason and chill ...

as for going to class ... you have to attend class just like everyone else and during your season you have to go to practice instead of playing video games ... once the season is over you do nothing but work out and coast ...
You are an idiot.

You have no idea what they go through in daily basis. You think D1 athletes are just ones you see on ESPN,  right? I can tell you from PERSONALLY seeing some of these guys and I can't imagine what they have to put up not only to continue their atheletic career (to honor their scholarship) and to excel in academics. Them 'excel' in the academics doesn't exactly mean getting cum laude when it's all said and done but from what I've seen, they bust their tails off to get things done. Many of these kids won't make it to pros and they know it (some sports doesn't even have a professional league, let me remind you) so they have to work extra hard to get the degree. That means waking up in 5-6 am for a practice when everyone's sleeping and stay up late through wee hours in the morning to get their papers/projects done. Yes, some of these dudes don't deserve to be in college but I don't wanna single atheletes out on that. There are plenty of kids in college campuses that doesn't deserve to be in school. There are bad apples in every tree but that doesn't mean all of them are just taking a chill pill for 4 years and let this #*#% fly by.

I have friends who were in same major as I was and they participated in sports (track and swimming, respectively) and they sometime barely have money to buy lunches so coaches have to take them out for a sandwich with their own money. I'm not saying they should sign these kids into a contract but maybe they should let them have a similar benefits as those kids in work-study programs. You don't get huge chunk of money out of that, plus, you can only work for certain hours a week.

As far as money goes, I don't have problem with them taking money. I actually have moral issues with NCAA because if they think it's such a big problem, maybe they should do a better job enforcing it rather than just handing out suspensions left and right. However, if their family members or 'associates' blatantly asking for it (i.e. Reggie Bush), I actually have a problem with that.

Originally Posted by Cedric Ceballos 1995 Lakers

the ncaa doesn't have a moral problem milking their cash cows 

I dont watch college sports so I am no expert but I can agree with this. 
Why cant they have scholarships for most players and "internships" for elite players.

Reward those that put the meat in the seats

Why cant they have scholarships for most players and "internships" for elite players.

It's all the NCAA and Schools fault..

NCAA knows this is gonna happen, Persoanlly I can't blame these parents and kids they're just grabbing the opportunity to get a better life "now" not 4 years later. 
"Boosters" have been around longer than we know, I don't blame these "Boosters" for throwing money they just want to win
NCAA expasion of Div.I, Example: In Div.I Basketball there are 346 schools and 32 Conferences + 4 Indepedent Schools..
What were they thinking!! 346 schools and only to choose 68 for "The Tournament" to me that's messed up
Before, 99 % of these Kids want to play for the best coaches, best programs, tradition and graduate it doesn't matter whether they get playing time or not..
But now, Kids want to be the next Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett, and LeBron James, Kids want that money

In the end, NCAA should ask their selves "What have we done" they are such hypocrites on maintaining College Athletes "Amateur" status. What "Amateur" there is no "Amateur" abou by being trained by a highly paid professional, taking steriod. So NCAA should stop these non-sense and do something about it.

It's all the NCAA and Schools fault..

NCAA knows this is gonna happen, Persoanlly I can't blame these parents and kids they're just grabbing the opportunity to get a better life "now" not 4 years later. 
"Boosters" have been around longer than we know, I don't blame these "Boosters" for throwing money they just want to win
NCAA expasion of Div.I, Example: In Div.I Basketball there are 346 schools and 32 Conferences + 4 Indepedent Schools..
What were they thinking!! 346 schools and only to choose 68 for "The Tournament" to me that's messed up
Before, 99 % of these Kids want to play for the best coaches, best programs, tradition and graduate it doesn't matter whether they get playing time or not..
But now, Kids want to be the next Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett, and LeBron James, Kids want that money

In the end, NCAA should ask their selves "What have we done" they are such hypocrites on maintaining College Athletes "Amateur" status. What "Amateur" there is no "Amateur" abou by being trained by a highly paid professional, taking steriod. So NCAA should stop these non-sense and do something about it.

Originally Posted by blackngold1z

Elite players get no show jobs (or very minimal work), they're just in the off-season or summer. NCAA needs to change it's focus from the athlete to the booster and school. Don't punish the athlete and take away his eligibility for taking money when he has absolute nothing to his name and a family living in the hood. Get at the boosters and work with the govt. to find a away to punish them criminally. That's the only way for the NCAA to clean up all this shadiness.

Originally Posted by blackngold1z

Elite players get no show jobs (or very minimal work), they're just in the off-season or summer. NCAA needs to change it's focus from the athlete to the booster and school. Don't punish the athlete and take away his eligibility for taking money when he has absolute nothing to his name and a family living in the hood. Get at the boosters and work with the govt. to find a away to punish them criminally. That's the only way for the NCAA to clean up all this shadiness.

Hm, so good points in here. I am in favor of some sort of compensation, however I still have not figured out how to disperse, how much each school gets, etc. Very complex issue, but in a simple sense I do not mind players getting some cash

Back
Top Bottom