Do you have any unpopular opinions???VOL....2

The tv ratings for the “boring” women’s game exceeded the men’s Final Four for the first time in history. And the players at the forefront of that are now in the WNBA.

All this talk about the men’s vs women’s on-court product is irrelevant. It’s about marketing your stars and the WNBA has a potential megastar on their hands. Not capitalizing on Clark and co.’s momentum when the league’s broadcast deals are up for renegotiation next season would be a massive failure for the commissioner.
You legit think if they marketed any player other than CC like she was an NBA superstar then it would succeed? Like dukes wouldn’t tune in and be disappointed by what they’re seeing from a majority of WNBA players?

womens basketball is just boring period... this place is prally appropriate to say it because in the sports thread you will get crucified for making such a comment...and watching lisa leslie ask for a donation from the nba was embarrasing

This. I can’t imagine paying to watch a game where the athleticism level is that of a pick up game at the park. I’d rather watch high school to be totally honest.

Watching the best in a league compete for a few weeks a year is different than grabbing and holding an audience for a season and getting people into stadiums and becoming lifelongfans. I'm excited to see if lasts or if it is a flash in the plan.

I've watched some NCAA womens and WNBA games and was entertained, but the biggest reactions I've had were like:

200w.gif

But regularly something will happen in an NBA game that has you like:

joe-rogan-ufc-rogan.gif

That's the biggest difference to me: the "Damn, get it girl!" vs. the "How the **** did he do that?!". It's like a PG-13 horror movie or comedy compared to an R-rated one. And I don't honestly think that it will change enough to make the revolutionary difference that they're trying to make it seem like. Would love to be proven wrong, but it's a different game.

Watching the best in a league compete for a few weeks a year is different than grabbing and holding an audience for a season and getting people into stadiums and becoming lifelongfans. I'm excited to see if lasts or if it is a flash in the plan.

I've watched some NCAA womens and WNBA games and was entertained, but the biggest reactions I've had were like:

200w.gif

But regularly something will happen in an NBA game that has you like:

joe-rogan-ufc-rogan.gif

That's the biggest difference to me: the "Damn, get it girl!" vs. the "How the **** did he do that?!". It's like a PG-13 horror movie or comedy compared to an R-rated one. And I don't honestly think that it will change enough to make the revolutionary difference that they're trying to make it seem like. Would love to be proven wrong, but it's a different game.

PG-13 is for a wider audience and makes more than a Rater R movie.

I was a non-believer in Womens Basketball too, but its good now, it is as watchable and sometimes more watchable than the Mens basketball.

That's cap

I’ve walked away from watching WNBA games a few times after seeing too many missed layups. It’s frustrating to watch.

As for the park, I’ve seen some great games with guys that could entertain you with their athleticism. I’m guessing they were high school and former college level that weren’t good enough for their teams for some reason or another. You could tell because their skill level was very noticeable. Easy to tell apart from those who just shot jumpers in their driveway after work.

You legit think if they marketed any player other than CC like she was an NBA superstar then it would succeed? Like dukes wouldn’t tune in and be disappointed by what they’re seeing from a majority of WNBA players?
Any player? No. This is all about Clark. She’s polarizing and brings viewers. Nearly 20M watched the NCAAW finals. That’s 4-5x the viewership the finals averaged before her. That’s huge.

I’m only looking at the TV numbers. This is a once in a generation type opportunity for the WNBA. Ride the Clark wave, manufacture some WWE-type drama between her/Reece/Cardoso, and change the damn eligibility rule so Juju can come in early and challenge her.

But first things first, make sure officials get the memo to give CC every damn call :lol:. Players want the bag? Sorry but the white girl from Iowa needs to succeed.

All this talk about the men’s vs women’s on-court product is irrelevant. It’s about marketing your stars and the WNBA has a potential megastar on their hands.
This.

People approach women's sports with the perception that it's gonna suck, and if they happen to catch a bad game, confirmation bias kicks in.

The takeaway is clear: Prioritizing the access and promotion of women’s sports increases visibility and grows audiences and sponsorship opportunities.

Take tennis, track and field, and gymnastics: the men's and women's tournaments (grand slams, world championships, Olympics) happen at the same time, so it's easy to familiarize oneself with the male and female stars of those sports. I don't see why soccer and basketball cant follow a similar recipe to increase viewership for women's leagues.

Yea, the WNBA being a Summer Sport damn sure doesn't help it's cause. To me it indirectly makes it an "other " (gimmick) basketball league because every REAL league runs during the winter.

Yea, the WNBA being a Summer Sport damn sure doesn't help it's cause. To me it indirectly makes it an "other " (gimmick) basketball league because every REAL league runs during the winter.
If their season ran at the same time as the NBA, they'd have even less viewers. They wouldn't be able to compete with a full NBA slate.

I don't know. Going directly up against NBA, NCAA, and NFL? I doubt many would choose WNBA over all of those options.

Yea I agree it's more competition during the winter but I was just noting that NOT running during actual basketball season gives it a #MinorLeague perception.

How is the WNBA not a real league?

College ball has its own followers that the WNBA can't compete with yet. Ex. I follow the GC's and that's why I watched. Admittedly, the game being against CC"s team added sauce, but I was watching the GCs regardless. They really the only women's team I follow.

Everyone I know that started watching WCB in the last couple of years credits LSU, Angel Reese, and Dawn Staley more than CC. I think that's more for the black community though.

Back
Top Bottom