Do you have to dumb down what you say?

Originally Posted by carlosdapaperboy

yes, especially when I express myself and engage in discourse with others while using distinguished and intelligent vernacular. People will abscond me for my superior choice of vocabulary while simultaneously resorting to their long-term memory in an attempt to decipher and ultimately comprehend what I have just spoken. When they do in fact fail miserably at understanding the proportions of our conversation, I then indeed resort to simple and understandable vernacular that is easily processed through the minds of these vacuous individuals.
Idk for some reason this made me chuckle. You used "vernacular" twice. Idk I speak pretty well I try to mind my grammar a bset Ican(Thanks to latin) not writing but speaking; it's just english is alot ot keep up with if yoru not constently on it. I use "bigger" wordsbecause they are more specific I try and be as specific as I can most of the time so I usually go into lenght monologues explaining exactly what I mean, I usethe three e's even in speaking exposition explaination and example, so most of the time I lose people within the first couple of sentences so I'llusually try and dumb down what I say to a two sentence mass, unless I'm on here.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
gotta get the e-cred.

Originally Posted by iBlink

I take it easy though because some people think I'm trying to stunt since I'm in college.
story of my life...so I just stick to my normal slang/ebonics 99% of the time and save the other 1% for when I'm tap dancing for "theman"

I have been getting this for a while.....but I find it funny......its so funny that people will look at you like you are dumb for speaking properly.......

gets me every time...

I have to always think about the topic of the conversation not being too advanced and the word usage.

I remember last summer I was chillen with this dude that's pre-med and goes to UCLA, he always did good in school, this was back when the stock market wasgoing nuts and was making headlines, I brought up a conversation about the economy on the decline and he had no idea what I was talking about
2fa26f62d5803c793da2847474432e8a18996b6b.gif

even today, my older brother(22), has never heard about the auto bail out.

Back when I worked at my last job, in retail, I remember I brought something up my boss(old and married w/ kids) that was in the news, something about a laborlaw, it was in the financial news on yahoo.com when I was just browsing around, dude was like "man, are you pre-law????" dead serious
ae626f62568d4ca236c2d57481fcf672a2b578ac.gif
ae626f62568d4ca236c2d57481fcf672a2b578ac.gif

also have a close friend, a bus econ major in his junior year, got a speeding ticket and asked me about the court and fine, I said the court date is on theticket.....and he goes "where?!??!?!?!?", court date is like right at the bottom of the ticket written in plain english.

i have to dumb down almost everything i say...

im going to stop though... i hate lowering my education and home raising for others.

thats going to be one of my new years resolutions... lol

Originally Posted by PoloRSport

I don't know if it's just me with my friends and family. But, almost without exception anytime I am asked to explain something I get a
indifferent.gif
face. And a pause. Then I have to explain it all over again in a more simple facet. I find this really aggravating. Many times will just say forget it. Let me fix it, or due it. Or just say forget about it. This is especially true when dealing with anything to do with electronics. Anything at all. I really never make things technical. I actually think I have an average vocabulary at best for having a BA in business.

Just One Example. At a family party yesterday. A friend of mine wanted to setup Guitar Hero 3 for the kids. She plugged in two control pads and it didn't work. Keep in mind this is her ps2 and her games. That she has had for at least two years. Loading screen does its thing. She grabs the two guitars for the games. She then hits all the frets on the guitar nothing happens. It's now considered "broken." I'm called to "fix it". I ask if they have the receivers for the Guitars.
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
from everyone. I pause and change what I say. Do you have the little boxes that go into the ps2. They have Red Lights when plugged in. One of my cousins yells out. He means does it have batteries in it. At first I get
mad.gif
mad.gif
. Then just
laugh.gif
. No the receivers. The small boxes next to the tv have to be plugged into the ps2. Again
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
from my whole family. Then I get on the move. I'll do it. (Don't even get me started on how I blew there mind with the code to unlock all the songs.) My friend is a lawyer for a prestigious firm.

yes!
laugh.gif

Yeah, that happens to me a lot too...it's like, I have to explain a lot more and go into deeper detail if I were to say everything I wanted to say, itcomes out real awkward. So, I just stick with a "short version" most of the time.

Originally Posted by carlosdapaperboy

yes, especially when I express myself and engage in discourse with others while using distinguished and intelligent vernacular. People will abscond me for my superior choice of vocabulary while simultaneously resorting to their long-term memory in an attempt to decipher and ultimately comprehend what I have just spoken. When they do in fact fail miserably at understanding the proportions of our conversation, I then indeed resort to simple and understandable vernacular that is easily processed through the minds of these vacuous individuals.
I actually understood you. I mean I have to dumb down what i say because im ashamed to be smart. Seems like in my neighborhood that if you arenot using derogatory terms in every other sentance than you are not cool. In no way am I saying that they are dumb, just a little less informed. Beingasinine to me is a choice. My selective vernacular leaves feeble minds pondering about my thoughts instead of the words. They say im slow, but they just dontcatch on. Silly geese.

I feel like I speak differently to different people, some people understand me better one way some I have to explain myself differently. Depends on the personreally.

Of course. I have an extensive vocab that I use sometimes. My problem comes when I speak in metaphors. I even use common analogies but ppls still stoneface meand look confused. Most of the time I may keep usin different analogies til they understand but I refuse to dumb it down.....unless it's for mom dukes orgrandmom because of who they are
laugh.gif

I don't have this problem. I don't try to throw big words around to confuse people. I also keep it very simple when I write essays. Some cats thinkusing a thesaurus when writing an essay is going to get them an A
smh.gif

Christmas eve, telling my boys at work about school plans

him "he's gonna be rich before all of us, he's in school."
me " yea i'll prolly be in school for about 6-7 years cuz I'm thinking bout gettin my undergraduates in comp engineering, and an M.B.A.
him "
roll.gif
roll.gif
this dude tryna play for the nba after school
laugh.gif
"
me "
indifferent.gif
an M.B.A is a masters in businessadministrations
grin.gif
him " oh
embarassed.gif

i hate having to talk slower and explain what i am try to portray. but sometimes i get "mental laziness" and say whats on my mind and people are likehuh? i just dont feel like using smaller words and taking my time to explain it.

yep especially back home in the the hood. Dudes ask me why do i talk like that now.
indifferent.gif

"bruh its part of maturity get with the program my mans"

Back
Top Bottom