Do you like being called an African American ?

Hate the term African American.

There's mad Africans over here and I have as much in common with them as I do the Italians.

I'm a Black American.

Here is the thing..... In genreal, when you ask people the question "what are you?", they will identify with the culture they were brought up in, orpossibly what they most look like. Say for example someones parents were born in Liberia, but the kids were born here. When asked that question, the kids wouldsay they are Liberian.

African american is a completely seperate culture. It came from Africans being taken from annonymous countries in Africa, being brought to America andreproducing with their slaveowners, or any other local whites. The resulting "mulatto" "creole" or "mixed" generation thisproduced is called african american. Personally my Dads family is from the south... our roots derived from slavery. I have no idea which country they come from(I can only assume somewhere in west Africa), so I say I am half african american. On the other hand, my moms side of the family is from Cape verde (which isin Africa). So I would consider myself half Cape Verdian (or black or African if you will), and half African american. And although my mother is Cape verdianor Black or African, she is technically not an African american since her roots do not come from from slavery. She can trace them to a specific country.

I hope thic clarifies a little bit. In the bigger picture, all people i mentioned above are Race: Black, and have different nationalities and culturalbackgrounds.

And SMH to everyone who so despises the term African-American. Figure out what it really means before you look down on it. Its terrible how some people thinkof being African as negative.

Africans here in Atlanta treat black Americans like there inferior or something. I swear if you go in to a gas station and buy something they will try to cheatyou ...it's clear that they don't consider us the same well hell I have heard them say it
ohwell.gif
. If you're an African American you're an immigrant that has U.S.citizenship it's that simple

Originally Posted by Keithahundred

If you're an African American you're an immigrant that has U.S. citizenship it's that simple

Unfortunately its not. An immigrant from africa that has us citizenship would technically still be considered their country of origin. A liberian immigrant with us citizenship would still be considered liberian since they have no slave roots, or no roots that are mixed with african and american. Their roots are derived completely from liberia.

On another note I do notice how some Africans treat blacks that may not be from Africa. We are all black in a sense, and we are not different from eachother, or inferior.

Keithahundred wrote:
American would be fine with me. If you go to Africa they don't consider you the same as them, hell you're an American not African

QFT! In fact, Smokey Robinson said it like this:

MILLION DOLLAR STACKS wrote:
If i ever go to Africa Im going to sweet chin music the first African I see. They talkin dine on us mayn!
roll.gif

eek.gif
�ILOL'D
roll.gif

��

LOL is this really an issue?

I thought black people liked being called "African American"....not Black......people complain too much. Atleast they aren't calling us the Nword anymore.

I don't really care.

I know my mom prefers to be called black instead of African-American.

Africans here in Atlanta treat black Americans there inferior or something
I've noticed that here too. In my Microbiology class, one of my lab partners is from Africa and she definitely had an air of arrogance abouther. Like she would look at me like I was a peasant. After we spent a little time in class, we kind of started talking and she was telling me she was fromNigeria and I told her my youngest uncle is half-Nigerian and all this other stuff, she immediately began being nice to me. I was like damn, I guess wasn'tgood enough before, lol.

I am literally African American. Born in Africa but raised in America. My mind is American.

And I hate how some Africans look at African Americans differently. Straight ignorance.

But if I wasn't African and just Black from America I wouldn't mind being called either.
African American or Black American.

what if you're white, and your from Africa. (like South africa) shouldnt you then be considered African American?

initially, i just consider people black, white,asian, latino ,middle eastern etc. the way i see it is, its not offensive unless YOU make it out to be

I know there's French somewhere down my bloodline, so I won't get mad if I call myself French-Vietnamese American. I wasn't born in Vietnam... butI am one.

You get called black you get pissed, you get called african american you get pissed....what exactly would you like to be called when describing ones race?

being as tho africans don't accept us, among other reasons, i'd rather not be called african american. i personally think it's insulting.

they need to call us jews cause that's what we really are
, most of us just don't know it because we were dispersed across the 4 corners of theearth by GOD as punishment for our transgressions. and we have been lied to about our true history/origins ever since. the so-called jewish ppl stole thereligion along with much of the world's wealth and, to this day, claim it as their own.

i am not bitter at all, just stating the facts. now let the hate begin...
laugh.gif

wink.gif

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

At least they aren't calling us the N word anymore.
Not in our face people aren't.

Don't care what you call me, just respect me and I'll do the same other than that keep it moving.

Originally Posted by IHeartBoost

Nope.

I prefer Black. I wasn't born in Africa.

agreed, african cats around my way get all butt hurt about non african born blacks bein called "african american" so im not tryna be affiliated withthem

Broads up my way are confused.

They get called "Black", and they'll start wildin' out.

"Why I gotta be black?!.. Why couldn't you address me as an African American?!"

You call her an African American, and they'll wild out too!

"I wasn't born from Africa!, I'm black!, Don't get it twisted!"

I still love the Black/African American broads though.

Originally Posted by CharmCityKid

being as tho africans don't accept us, among other reasons, i'd rather not be called african american. i personally think it's insulting.

, most of us just don't know it because we were dispersed across the 4 corners of the earth by GOD as punishment for our transgressions. and we have been lied to about our true history/origins ever since. the so-called jewish ppl stole the religion along with much of the world's wealth and, to this day, claim it as their own.

laugh.gif

wink.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

is that true???

juss black.........I ain't african, as matter of fact............
smh.gif
forget it might get banned for sayin something bad

I don't want to be called African American if Whites aren't called European American .

They're called White American , I want to be called Black American .

Originally Posted by Nktran001

Broads up my way are confused.

They get called "Black", and they'll start wildin' out.

"Why I gotta be black?!.. Why couldn't you address me as an African American?!"

You call her an African American, and they'll wild out too!

"I wasn't born from Africa!, I'm black!, Don't get it twisted!"

I still love the Black/African American broads though.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Like i was saying, I thought "African American" was the PC term.....what do black people wanna be called. i say we have a vote and send the memo toevery white person in the country.
grin.gif

For me personally....African American, Black, Black American, Nigerian or Martian will suffice.

, most of us just don't know it because we were dispersed across the 4 corners of the earth by GOD as punishment for our transgressions. and we have been lied to about our true history/origins ever since. the so-called jewish ppl stole the religion along with much of the world's wealth and, to this day, claim it as their own.

laugh.gif

wink.gif

What in the world
roll.gif

Originally Posted by TrueshotAura

laugh.gif

wink.gif

What in the world
roll.gif

Back
Top Bottom