Do you like being called an African American ?

Now if you wanna be totally correct, we should just call white people "beige" and/or "pinkish-offwhite" and black people "Brown"or "Tan".

No one is actually white, no one is actually black. It would be kinda cool if we never had to make any distinction in the first place. But we know how itgoes...

Originally Posted by OGfiend

Now if you wanna be totally correct, we should just call white people "beige" and/or "pinkish-offwhite" and black people "Brown" or "Tan".

No one is actually white, no one is actually black. It would be kinda cool if we never had to make any distinction in the first place. But we know how it goes...
Happy%20sudanese%20patients.jpg
grin.gif

Originally Posted by Keithahundred

Africans here in Atlanta treat black Americans like there inferior or something. I swear if you go in to a gas station and buy something they will try to cheat you ...it's clear that they don't consider us the same well hell I have heard them say it
ohwell.gif
. If you're an African American you're an immigrant that has U.S. citizenship it's that simple

I know exactly what you are talking about....and I sorta have my own little theory on why that is.

Originally Posted by DunkeDinSaucE

what if you're white, and your from Africa. (like South africa) shouldnt you then be considered African American?

initially, i just consider people black, white,asian, latino ,middle eastern etc. the way i see it is, its not offensive unless YOU make it out to be

Hmm.. good point! But I think it should be altered like this:

If you're white, and your parents were raised in Africa, and you were born in Africa... what does that make you?

That should kind of give a perspective of what race should be labeled as.

Originally Posted by Night Marcher01

Originally Posted by DunkeDinSaucE

what if you're white, and your from Africa. (like South africa) shouldnt you then be considered African American?

initially, i just consider people black, white,asian, latino ,middle eastern etc. the way i see it is, its not offensive unless YOU make it out to be

Hmm.. good point! But I think it should be altered like this:

If you're white, and your parents were raised in Africa, and you were born in Africa... what does that make you?

That should kind of give a perspective of what race should be labeled as.

I want to say Scarlett Johanson or whatever is from South Africa...I would consider her South African...

Old NPR Broadcast:

"No matter where you come from, as long as your a black man, your an african."

no. black doesn't fly with me either.
then again.. i dont like being called anything other then my name tho
grin.gif

yeah it kinda doesnt make sense cuz why are white people here white and then Im white too. I mean Im not american, so why should I be labeled the same as allwhite americans???? labels are straight up dumb and ignorant. Today we had to fill out sheets for our upcoming exams and I tried to question the dam racething, and they TOLD me to put white just like everybody else, what part of the game is that? I mean if a black from africa puts other because hes not in thesame catgory as americans, why am i putting white and not other?

Im not overly concerned, but it is dumb, and if they are going to base anything like minority support or whatever off of these categories, they could at leastdefine the dam things properly

Oh and a few years ago I said "black" in english class, and the teacher starts yelling at me about how thats not right and its "africanamerican", but when she says "white" I tell her the correct term is "caucasian" (Which I guess I could be classified as btw) and shefreaking kicks me out of the classroom for being disruptive, when SHE was IMO in the wrong

who says we don't get called n!ggers anymore? trust me people still say it.
My homegirl says she don't like being called black because she's light brown and it don't make sense.
I think African American is a better term because it's not offensive to me.
Who cares if you're not from Africa, your ancestors are

not particulalrly. better than negro and more 'professional' than 'Black', so unless they invent a new term i guess it'll have to do. asmentioned earlier, I've never been to Africa. And Whites aren't 'European' American.

Africans generally look down on blacks unless they actually know you are about something. Two of my friends parents used to thing I was a thug in high schoolbut now that Im out of college and about something they are real cool.

"I refuse to be called African American. I haven't seen one African dude come up to me and say 'We've been looking for you. Lets go backhome.' " ~some comedian
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by cgutta

Originally Posted by SneakerPimp2k8

i have no issues with it, my father is Nigerian

nigerians ftw......both my parents nigerian, i was born in america and have been living in africa and america back and fourth, im cool being called black or african american
pimp.gif
Was born in Nigeria, dual citizenship FTW. I'm outtathis $^&$# the second this country collapses. "God forbid
grin.gif
grin.gif
"

Originally Posted by Chi ILL

I don't want to be called African American if Whites aren't called European American .

They're called White American , I want to be called Black American .

Well said...we still ignore that the equaltiy between race and background are STILL to this day not all 100% met...

Originally Posted by King NJC

Originally Posted by Chi ILL

I don't want to be called African American if Whites aren't called European American .

They're called White American , I want to be called Black American .

Well said...we still ignore that the equaltiy between race and background are STILL to this day not all 100% met...

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

nigerians ftw......both my parents nigerian, i was born in america and have been living in africa and america back and fourth, im cool being called black or african american
pimp.gif
Was born in Nigeria, dual citizenship FTW. I'm outta this $^&$# the second this country collapses. "God forbid
grin.gif
grin.gif
"

Nigerian as well.
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by Alchemist IQ

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

pimp.gif
Was born in Nigeria, dual citizenship FTW. I'm outta this $^&$# the second this country collapses. "God forbid
grin.gif
grin.gif
"

Nigerian as well.
ohwell.gif

you dont sound very proud
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Well if your parents are african and you're born here, i don't see why you would be offended being calledan african-american.
That's literally what you are

i don't care what you people like to be called, i prefer to say negro so that's what i say.

Originally Posted by ChineyRoyal

Well if your parents are african and you're born here, i don't see why you would be offended being called an african-american.
That's literally what you are

The people who object to it here are "Black Americans" not second or third generation Africans? I don't mind being called black or AfricanAmerican.

Originally Posted by shortydoowopp

i don't really care...its obvious i have african ancestors...

Same here but hey, they (Europeans) conquered so it is what it is. These titles were set a long time ago and I think it's too late to just change thingsnow considering they aren't offensive (well at least not to me). I honestly think if you took the "African" part out some of us would forgetwhere we/ancestors came from because where I live there are many blacks that don't even want to be black. What's wrong with proclaiming to be ofAfrican ancestry? I think the problem is with what's perceived of Africa. My friend says I'm Irish/German and have never even seen the place. I'mAfrican American...SMARTLY.

Back
Top Bottom