Do you like being called an African American ?

Originally Posted by Executive76

Originally Posted by vctry20

Originally Posted by MyTsharp

*sigh
[DMX] Here we go again! [/DMX]
Originally Posted by itz rOLLi

i would love to be called african american.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Keithahundred

American would be fine with me. If you go to Africa they don't consider you the same as them, hell you're an American not African
co-sign...

Originally Posted by DAYTONA 5000

Everyone is from Africa, so everyone is african-___
so what African country were you born in ?
I was born in Boston. We all have the same common ancestor which originated from Africa, is what I meant.

I'd rather be called an (AMERICAN), who happens to be black. Basically a black American. The name "African-American" is a misnomer, much like ourcountry America is a misnomer. From what I have read on the web, African immigrants don't like that we call our selves African-American, these folks feelwe black Americans make them (Africans) look bad...LMAO. Americans whom been here since colonial times are just plain old Americans.

This especially goes for black Americans from the (old-stock), we don't come from any other country/continent besides the U.S.A./North America. Some peoplewill argue that we're trying to distance our selves from the so-called MOTHERLAND, how? If the motherland means the place your mother was born than, thatmeans my mother's land is South Carolina, and my homeland would be Newark, NJ....

So for the question; do you like being called an African-American? No! And again this has nothing to do with feeling inferior cause I'm not, it's justa fact. And when people hear the word African-American, right off the back they should know you're talking about people who have been here since at leasethe 17 century, and not newly arrived immigrants from Africa,Latin America, and the Caribbean.

Originally Posted by Meriwether

I'd rather be called an (AMERICAN), who happens to be black. Basically a black American. The name "African-American" is a misnomer, much like our country America is a misnomer. From what I have read on the web, African immigrants don't like that we call our selves African-American, these folks feel we black Americans make them (Africans) look bad...LMAO. Americans whom been here since colonial times are just plain old Americans.

This especially goes for black Americans from the (old-stock), we don't come from any other country/continent besides the U.S.A./North America. Some people will argue that we're trying to distance our selves from the so-called MOTHERLAND, how? If the motherland means the place your mother was born than, that means my mother's land is South Carolina, and my homeland would be Newark, NJ....

So for the question; do you like being called an African-American? No! And again this has nothing to do with feeling inferior cause I'm not, it's just a fact. And when people hear the word African-American, right off the back they should know you're talking about people who have been here since at lease the 17 century, and not newly arrived immigrants from Africa,Latin America, and the Caribbean.
qft !!!

i like to be called nubian warrior american, or mandingo king american, thats all nothin to specific.

Originally Posted by MILLION DOLLAR STACKS

If i ever go to Africa Im going to sweet chin music the first African I see. They talkin dine on us mayn!
roll.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
you always seem to crack a joke in any thread
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Everyone is from Africa, so everyone is african-___
so what African country were you born in ?
I was born in Boston. We all have the same common ancestor which originated from Africa, is what I meant.
I get what you saying now

BLACK is just fine with me. Here we go again with the sub division of the culture again. I understand that people of West Indian or African heritage or proudof where they come from and they have everyright to be. But to consider yourself a different than African Americans is crazy. If a race war broke out in thiscountry tomorrow we would all be on the same side. In elementary school everyone was just black. When we got to high school and everyone was somethingdifferent. BLACK- it has a nice ring to it, don't ya think?

Originally Posted by LuckyP90

are we gonna start calling asians yellow and hispanics brown?
I thought they were called latino ? could be wrong O well.
know I mean if they were born in this country then they're are just as American as any of us...but were not talking about them were talking about blackpeople, or African Americans or whatever they want to be called . America dont know what they want to call us we went from the N word...to the negro..to afroamericans...now african americans ???

Back
Top Bottom