does anybody here live in a boring/little/remote place?

Originally Posted by proper english

where are all the Fresno NTers at?.. just the thought of that place makes me want to commit suicide 
sick.gif
eek.gif
laugh.gif
tired.gif

Originally Posted by Eff Ecks

Originally Posted by ricky409

kingsville texas....

smh.....

roll.gif
 dude you almost in Mexico!!! 

yes... 

close to south padre too...

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by sho3tym

Originally Posted by OnETwO

Lake Mills, WI. about 4,000 in my town alone. Its nice but its true when people say everyone in a small town knows each other. Probably the worst part about it. 
Nothing wrong with that.  I grew up in Marshfield, WI.  Central Wisconsin, not a lot up there.  Wasau is about a half hour away-home of eastbay.

kingsville texas....

smh.....
I had a cousin go to Texas A&M Kingsville, I beleive that's what its called.  My grandfather lives in Cuero, TX.  That to me is the middle of nowhere, there is literally nothing there.  I was born in Odessa, TX that is just the desert....

yep... i'm out here hoopin at kingsville...

its pretty wack.. but it seems like its on the rise....

Originally Posted by Eff Ecks

kingsville texas....

smh.....

roll.gif
 dude you almost in Mexico!!! 

yes... 

close to south padre too...

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by sho3tym

Originally Posted by OnETwO

Lake Mills, WI. about 4,000 in my town alone. Its nice but its true when people say everyone in a small town knows each other. Probably the worst part about it. 
Nothing wrong with that.  I grew up in Marshfield, WI.  Central Wisconsin, not a lot up there.  Wasau is about a half hour away-home of eastbay.

kingsville texas....

smh.....
I had a cousin go to Texas A&M Kingsville, I beleive that's what its called.  My grandfather lives in Cuero, TX.  That to me is the middle of nowhere, there is literally nothing there.  I was born in Odessa, TX that is just the desert....

yep... i'm out here hoopin at kingsville...

its pretty wack.. but it seems like its on the rise....

http://******zone.com/uploads/2008/03/lost-map.jpg

Where I stay.

I feels ya on that. Though it's far from boring.

http://******zone.com/uploads/2008/03/lost-map.jpg

Where I stay.

I feels ya on that. Though it's far from boring.

In the summer between my Sophmore and Junior year of HS, I was slated to be on the varsity team in my Junior year but I wanted to get minutes and make an impact. For a player in fairly small district, that played other small school districts, my lanky, 6'2 frame, long arms and overall quickness and athleticism made me a very good JV small forward or light power forward. I lacked a consistent jump shot as well as advanced foot work and post moves, anything that took several hours of  relatively boring drills almost every day I found myself to be deficient. I knew that I would be able to guard people and get boards and even some layups and assists but without a good jumper or even an advanced set of post moves and finishes I would either not get much PT or if I did, i was afraid of being a weak link offensively, no matter how well I guarded my man my counter part would be able to roam defensively that he would disrupt everything.

So I and my older brother, who had played varsity for three years of HS and was now a college undergrad became my shooting coach (he was and still is a knock down shooter). Despite living in the suburbs; as far as I was concerned, there were too many distractions. Not yet even having any interest with any sort of drugs or alcohol or even big parties, the biggest distraction, aside from girls, was the local gym and other pickup games where I knew I would slash and run and block and cross people over and never have the focus to practice a thousand or more shoots per day, every single day for weeks and weeks

I did something radical and spent all but a few days of that summer in a cabin at two miles elevation. The cabins was a 45 minute drive from a town of about 2,000 people. My parents rented it from a family friend who was skying in South America that summer. The cabins was very austere and remote but the family friend, who owned the place had level enough land for a tennis.basketball court. It was perfect for what I wanted to for my game. My brother taught my not only how to shoot but how to meditate, Zazen Philosophy, how to breathe correctly, how to view reality in different ways, how to stretch properly, how to always be physicall yand mentally balanced, and how to focus and how to treat a quite practice in mid august like a championship game and how to be as loose in a championship game as one would be while taking his 500th of 1,000 jumpers in the middle of a practice in the middle of August.

I was reluctant to do this for fear of boredom and because I would be unable to lift weights or play in any 5 on 5 games or even watch cable or even boradcast television (after visting home for the 4th of July, I not only brought back the TV and DVD player but even my video games because I had already become so good at focusing tha I was able to read long novels and other works of literature and non fiction and philosophy and i also built a Zen Garden and started small garden and tended to those thing when I was not doing anything related to sports or books or meditation) but I developed a consist jumper, extended my range beyond the arc, added a bank shoot, worked on some boost moves and most importantly I discovered Zazen and the ability to find so much beauty in the most austere and staid of places. I usually did two practices per day and in between them I would go for short hikes and take in the beauty of the short alpine flowering season, admire the jagged beauty of the mountains and also take truly star filled skies at night and to be free of that insidious noise pollution that infects the ears of anyone in any city or suburb.

BTW, to all of the aspiring basketball players out there, HS, college or even pro, it is no joke to train at just a shade under two miles elevation. Light jogs on the trails mixed with plyo, suidices and other explosive on court conditioning drills, will make you into super man when you get down to your city or two that is going to be at or below a mile of elevation. People talk about Denver being tough for visiting teams but at one mile, a conditioned athlete will feel some minor effects of elevation after a long game or workout but if you train at two miles your whole body changes. The air is so thin, the oxygen is so scarce that walking a few hundred yards is tough, even for an a well coditioned athlete but spend about nine weeks like i did and you will feel shocked at how much endurance you have. After a few weeks back near sea level, you will begin to lose the chemical advantage of higher red blood cells (the cells that carry oxygen and the cells that the body increases after a couple weeks at hig helevation) and it will be gone afte ra few months. However, your heart and lungs and whole circulatory system will be structurally better for as lon gas you train at a high level.

In the summer between my Sophmore and Junior year of HS, I was slated to be on the varsity team in my Junior year but I wanted to get minutes and make an impact. For a player in fairly small district, that played other small school districts, my lanky, 6'2 frame, long arms and overall quickness and athleticism made me a very good JV small forward or light power forward. I lacked a consistent jump shot as well as advanced foot work and post moves, anything that took several hours of  relatively boring drills almost every day I found myself to be deficient. I knew that I would be able to guard people and get boards and even some layups and assists but without a good jumper or even an advanced set of post moves and finishes I would either not get much PT or if I did, i was afraid of being a weak link offensively, no matter how well I guarded my man my counter part would be able to roam defensively that he would disrupt everything.

So I and my older brother, who had played varsity for three years of HS and was now a college undergrad became my shooting coach (he was and still is a knock down shooter). Despite living in the suburbs; as far as I was concerned, there were too many distractions. Not yet even having any interest with any sort of drugs or alcohol or even big parties, the biggest distraction, aside from girls, was the local gym and other pickup games where I knew I would slash and run and block and cross people over and never have the focus to practice a thousand or more shoots per day, every single day for weeks and weeks

I did something radical and spent all but a few days of that summer in a cabin at two miles elevation. The cabins was a 45 minute drive from a town of about 2,000 people. My parents rented it from a family friend who was skying in South America that summer. The cabins was very austere and remote but the family friend, who owned the place had level enough land for a tennis.basketball court. It was perfect for what I wanted to for my game. My brother taught my not only how to shoot but how to meditate, Zazen Philosophy, how to breathe correctly, how to view reality in different ways, how to stretch properly, how to always be physicall yand mentally balanced, and how to focus and how to treat a quite practice in mid august like a championship game and how to be as loose in a championship game as one would be while taking his 500th of 1,000 jumpers in the middle of a practice in the middle of August.

I was reluctant to do this for fear of boredom and because I would be unable to lift weights or play in any 5 on 5 games or even watch cable or even boradcast television (after visting home for the 4th of July, I not only brought back the TV and DVD player but even my video games because I had already become so good at focusing tha I was able to read long novels and other works of literature and non fiction and philosophy and i also built a Zen Garden and started small garden and tended to those thing when I was not doing anything related to sports or books or meditation) but I developed a consist jumper, extended my range beyond the arc, added a bank shoot, worked on some boost moves and most importantly I discovered Zazen and the ability to find so much beauty in the most austere and staid of places. I usually did two practices per day and in between them I would go for short hikes and take in the beauty of the short alpine flowering season, admire the jagged beauty of the mountains and also take truly star filled skies at night and to be free of that insidious noise pollution that infects the ears of anyone in any city or suburb.

BTW, to all of the aspiring basketball players out there, HS, college or even pro, it is no joke to train at just a shade under two miles elevation. Light jogs on the trails mixed with plyo, suidices and other explosive on court conditioning drills, will make you into super man when you get down to your city or two that is going to be at or below a mile of elevation. People talk about Denver being tough for visiting teams but at one mile, a conditioned athlete will feel some minor effects of elevation after a long game or workout but if you train at two miles your whole body changes. The air is so thin, the oxygen is so scarce that walking a few hundred yards is tough, even for an a well coditioned athlete but spend about nine weeks like i did and you will feel shocked at how much endurance you have. After a few weeks back near sea level, you will begin to lose the chemical advantage of higher red blood cells (the cells that carry oxygen and the cells that the body increases after a couple weeks at hig helevation) and it will be gone afte ra few months. However, your heart and lungs and whole circulatory system will be structurally better for as lon gas you train at a high level.

Originally Posted by sandman117x

Stony Brook 
indifferent.gif

NTers in Stony brook? my girl lives there and i hate going there. its boring as hell. only port jefferson is semi interesting.

Originally Posted by sandman117x

Stony Brook 
indifferent.gif

NTers in Stony brook? my girl lives there and i hate going there. its boring as hell. only port jefferson is semi interesting.

Originally Posted by NiKExKiDD

Never could live in a small town, Bronx kid, and living the Tampa life now. My high school alone has like 2,300 people. I'm a city kid.

I read this wrong, I was about to say. I live in Tampa and if you consider this a small town then IDK what to say.
...I'm from Miami, too. 

Originally Posted by NiKExKiDD

Never could live in a small town, Bronx kid, and living the Tampa life now. My high school alone has like 2,300 people. I'm a city kid.

I read this wrong, I was about to say. I live in Tampa and if you consider this a small town then IDK what to say.
...I'm from Miami, too. 

Back
Top Bottom