Dog days of baseball, whose your MVP/Cy Young thus far?

As much as I don't think J.A Happ is going to be this good in the long run, he's having a good season and I believe deserves the ROTY over Fowler whohas fallen off recently.

AL
CY - Greinke
MVP - Mauer
Roy - Bailey or Beckham

NL
CY - Timmy
MVP - Poo-holes
Roy - Happ

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

How is Greinke not Cy Young worthy when he has an ERA of 2.33?

He is. A couple of people are stupid. Mid-90's heater with Maddux-like command.

He won't win the MVP because his team sucks, but if Mauer finishes this season .365 with 30+ home runs and 100 RBI it will be tough not crowning a seasonlike that. I think all of the work Greinke did early in the season fatigued him a little--still a marvelous season for him. Halladay should win that battle. For the NL, obviously Lincecum. I don't need to mention the NL MVP "race."

Regarding AL Rookie of the Year...

I refuse to overlook what Elvis Andrus has done for a team that is sitting 16 games above .500 and leading the Wild Card race right now... The Rangers are onpace for damn near 250 fewer runs allowed than last season, they're Top 10 in BASEBALL in ERA, 3rd in the AL... And Elvis Andrus and his defensive chopsare likely the biggest reason for that, already one of the best defensive shortstops in baseball, if not the best... Nevermind that he was expected to damnnear challenge the Mendoza Line offensively this year and he's GREATLY exceeded those expectations...

laugh.gif
@ the notion that Greinke only had a solid 2 months and that Beckettis head and shoulders better than him.....
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

It was between Greinke and Halladay. Greinke gets the nod, those first two months were insane, and he set the bar so high. He has been consistently goodsince.

greinke is no longer in the cy young discussion...josh beckett's stat > greinke's considering where beckett pitches. greinke hasn't been anywhere near what he was the first couple months of the season. halladay i can completely understand being there.
Take your blinders off.

2009 Stats

Greinke 2.33 (ERA), 11-7 (W/L), 174 (K's), 20 (Quality Starts), 1.14 (WHIP), 9.41 (K/9).
Beckett 3.10 (ERA), 14-4 (W/L), 145 (K's), 17 (Quality Starts), 1.11 (WHIP), 8.31 (K/9).

Post All Star

Greinke 3.00 (ERA), 1-2 (W/L)
Becket 2.25 (ERA), 3-1 (W/L)

If Greinke has a poor September, the Cy should go to Halladay. Beckett had a terrible April, and it will more than likely cost him the Cy Young. However, heis a a member of the Red Sox.

greinke's era is on an upward trend, rising every month this season...while beckett's on a downward trend.

and thank you for posting the post all star break numbers. that's basically my point.

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

greinke's era is on an upward trend, rising every month this season...while beckett's on a downward trend.

SO?
laugh.gif
When your ERA starts out at .90, it's easy for it to trendupward.

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

SO?
laugh.gif
When your ERA starts out at .90, it's easy for it to trend upward.
im just saying...if the trend continues...his ERA is not going to be anything special. his first three or four starts basically have kept his ERArazor thin. likewise...beckett's april has kept his high. as of right now, i think the hotter pitcher is beckett.

and im not trying to undermine what greinke has done. he's had a great season no doubt. i just don't think he's the cy young winner right now...andi DEFINITELY don't think he'll be the cy young winner after the season is done

SO?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Did people honestly expect him to maintain an ERAcomfortably below 2.00 for an entire season?

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

SO?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Did people honestly expect him to maintain an ERA comfortably below 2.00 for an entire season?
you know that's not what i was trying to say.

SO?
laugh.gif
im just saying...if the trend continues...his ERA is not going to be anything special. his first three or four starts basically have kept his ERA razor thin. likewise...beckett's april has kept his high. as of right now, i think the hotter pitcher is beckett.

and im not trying to undermine what greinke has done. he's had a great season no doubt. i just don't think he's the cy young winner right now...and i DEFINITELY don't think he'll be the cy young winner after the season is done

He has had 2 mediocre months.
grin.gif
TWO.

ROY HALLADAY FOR CY YOUNG.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

AL MVP: Joe Mauer
NL MVP: Albert Pujols
AL CY Young:
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

NL CY Yong: Tim Lincecum

AL ROY: Andrew Bailey Gordon Beckham
NL ROY: Dexter Fowler

list was pretty spot on, only thing i changed was beckham winning AL ROY, by years end he'll have it.

and thank you for posting the post all star break numbers. that's basically my point.
You completely missed the point.

I posted that to dispell this belief that Greinke only had a solid 2 months. A 3.00 ERA is not shabby. I'm not counting W/L since you can throw a shutoutand come out with a no decision. You can throw a 1 run, 1 hitter and still "Lose" the game.

Month by Month

Greinke:
April 0.50
eek.gif

May 1.57
June 4.05
grin.gif

July 2.53
August 4.26

Beckett:
April 7.22
sick.gif

May 2.38
June 1.51
July 3.35
August 0.86

If Greinke falters, it should go to Halladay. He has been consistent and you toss out the "Beckett pitches in the AL East" argument.

Halladay:
April 3.75
May 1.76
June 2.33
July 3.00
August 2.52

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

You completely missed the point.

I posted that to dispell this belief that Greinke only had a solid 2 months. A 3.00 ERA is not shabby. I'm not counting W/L since you can throw a shutout and come out with a no decision. You can throw a 1 run, 1 hitter and still "Lose" the game.

fair enough. im not counting win/losses either really. i realize playing on KC makes it tougher to get W's. someone posted quality starts andgreinke is up by 3 on beckett i think. but still...it seems like the whole basis of tossing out beckett is because of april, the first month of the season.it's not like greinke has been a model of consistency either.

it'll be interesting to see how this all plays out. for the red sox sake, beckett BETTER continue to lower that ERA
laugh.gif

AL MVP
1) Cabrera
2) Teixeira
3) Mauer

Morneau/Mauer are gonna take votes away from each other + Min is 6 games under .500. Tex has got MUCH more protection in his lineup than Miguel has in his,just saying...

AL Cy Young
1) Doc
2) Greinke
3) Hernandez/Beckett

NL MVP
1) Pujols
2) Hanley
3) Fielder/Ibanez

NL Cy Young
1) Lincecum
2) Josh Johnson
3) Carpenter/Haren

AL
Cy Young- 1)Zack
2)Doc
3) Verlander
MVP- 1) Mauer (should win)
2) Tex (will most likely win although Jeter should be the MVP candidate from the Yankees
3) Cabrera/Crawford

NL it should be Pujols and Haren although Lincecum probably wins.

Mark Teixeira hasn't even been the best first baseman in his own division this year... He is NOT the MVP. Not by a long shot.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Mark Teixeira hasn't even been the best first baseman in his own division this year... He is NOT the MVP. Not by a long shot.

worry about your Rangers and the AL West before you talk crazy talk. not by a longshot? really?

leave the real baseball for the big boys in the northeast

Teix had a slow start like he is known to do..still alot of time for him to up the average, but the best player on the best team in baseball is why I had himover Mauer. Mauer is killing it considering he missed the first month and gets a few more off days since he is a catcher.

I didn't put Verlander up there b/c of his stats on the road..pitching well sometimes on it

Back
Top Bottom