Dog Owners: How hard is it to train a puppy?

Raised a couple dogs. Its not super hard but it takes time and patience. You need a pretty flexible schedule OP.

Potty training etc can be done in 6 months but I always tell people that I don't really trust my dogs until they are about a year old. Puppies get into the wildest ****.

Was going to get a husky when I moved into my apartment then thought twice about it :lol:...Just going to double up when I have a wife and kids and get 2 puppies when I have all the time in the world to train and be home. Those dogs are stubborn as hell if your not the alpha male and they will feel like they can do whatever.

Was going to get a husky when I moved into my apartment then thought twice about it
I have the fortune and pleasure of interacting with Huskies on a regular basis. Two sets of neighbors own, one woman adopted (Rama) and another couple has three which they rescued.

Huskies require tons of effort. Vigorous exercise and prefer colder weather. Independent and attentive. Need purpose and activity. Without the two, Huskies can exhibit destructive behavior. Most importantly, strong-willed is an understatement for this breed.

Last edited:
got 2 shiba inu puppies and they are considered one of the hardest breeds to train because of their intelligence and personalities... It def takes time but i got them crate trained and potty trained. they are 5 months now, still need some leash training but they good for the most part. super smart dogs man

Damn TheGodFresco TheGodFresco they're beautiful! :pimp: :pimp:

I have a puggle, about 4.5 years old... Stubborn *** breed, but they are good campanions and have a good personality

Chipper is his name

View media item 1419367
Like others say, scheduling is really important... I got him with my ex, but now he's with me and my 2 brothers... If it wasn't for their help I wouldn't be able to handle it with school and work

Last edited:
This is Barky Bob..He's a Pomeranian..They're a stubborn breed, but like with any dog he wasn't too bad to house break due to a consistently taking him outside..He quickly learned that if he went and stood by the door that it was a signal that he needed to go out and we have rarely had an accident in 4 yrs..

View media item 1264728

I looked up YouTube vids and followed them they were helpful. My dog is an olde English bulldog so he's a little stubborn but a good dog. French Bulldogs are a pain in the butt, just make sure to be alpha male and crate them young.

Do u have to have a divider in the crate to crate train them I have a crate for my puppy but no divider and I rarely put him in there

I have the fortune and pleasure of interacting with Huskies on a regular basis. Two sets of neighbors own, one woman adopted (Rama) and another couple has three which they rescued.

Huskies require tons of effort. Vigorous exercise and prefer colder weather. Independent and attentive. Need purpose and activity. Without the two, Huskies can exhibit destructive behavior. Most importantly, strong-willed is an understatement for this breed.

Thanks for the input. I heard about huskies requiring tons of effort. My cousin has two who are pretty young and whenever I go over to visit those guys are so playful all day long in his big yard.

Those Shiba's posted are :pimp:. Another breed I was interested that are very smart but need tons of time

took my pup home at 6 weeks and wee wee pad trained him for the first weeks then easily transitioned him after a few weeks
id take him out in the morning, then in the late afternoon/evening. key is to give him time to do his so he can get used to the schedule. 

as far as training him in other aspects, it just takes time and patience. gotta spend time with the pet and provide treats when he does good. 

Here's my little man, Mayer (shih-tzu)
3 1/2 years old

View media item 1419751

Last edited:
took my pup home at 6 weeks and wee wee pad trained him for the first weeks then easily transitioned him after a few weeks
id take him out in the morning, then in the late afternoon/evening. key is to give him time to do his so he can get used to the schedule. 

as far as training him in other aspects, it just takes time and patience. gotta spend time with the pet and provide treats when he does good. 

Here's my little man, Mayer (shih-tzu)
3 1/2 years old
nthat.gif
 I love Shih tzu's man.

Have 2 myself, and have 2 aussies. 

Here's my dogs:

Goku and Sammy

Sammy

Bruin (mini Aussie)

Hunter 
nthat.gif
 My main man for 8 years now.

Goku
pimp.gif

Last edited:
my gf and I currently have an 8 yr old yorkie, 2.5 year old shar pei (pic in avatar) and an 11 month old german shepherd/lab/rott mutt.

My Shar Pei was stubborn but thats no surprise for the breed, crate trained her in about 2 weeks and then potty training was a breeze after that.  Just have to be consistent and firm. I really believe in the pack aspect of training and establishing your dominance/that you are alpha.  

The Yorkie is well trained also, potty pads and then potty trained her but it took a while.  I dont think potty pads are necessary unless you have to be away all day.  It is much more effective imo to skip the potty pad step and just take them outside as frequently as needed (every 1.5 hours to be safe), especially immediately after eating/drinking.

The mutt is well trained but just has endless amounts of energy, he hasnt had an accident since he was probably 7 months old, super smart dog and incredibly loving.  Also crate trained him right away which made potty training much easier.

A big thing to remember is their temperament is, in large part, going to be determined by how you treat them and also how you socialize them.  Expose them to children of all ages ASAP and get them around other dogs as soon as they have all their shots.  Did this with all 3 of my dogs and I dont ever have to worry about them when kids or other dogs come around.

It all depends on the breed of the dog. Some breeds are easier to train than others, but it all comes down to patience and repetition. It could take some time, but when you guys get it down, it will be smooth sailing from then on.

Here are a few pics of my pup from when we go her until recent. She's a Presa Canario, and she's a year and 2 months old. She's about 115 lbs :lol: Her name is Loki

View media item 1419945 View media item 1419946View media item 1419947
This is her now

View media item 1419980View media item 1419976

Back
Top Bottom