Dog Owners: How hard is it to train a puppy?

VinMillerHearn58 VinMillerHearn58 , I don't even want to know how much you spend monthly on dog food. Cool "pup" though, unique breed.
:lol: it's about $50 a month or so. Doesn't include treats and toys. We can't give her any of those stuffed toys, she rips right through them in like 5 minutes. Thick rubber kong toys and the planet dog orbee toys with mint flavoring. Keeps her breath smelling good :lol:

On the topic of dog too, avoid brands like pedigree, iams, beneful... Straight trash food with a lot of filler ingredients

I spend about $30-$35 in just dog food alone... Treats another $25-50 depending if I go the expensive route like bully sticks, duck feet, cow esphogaus etc...

Cheap inexpensive treats you guys should look into is Zukes miniature treats

On the topic of dog too, avoid brands like pedigree, iams, beneful... Straight trash food with a lot of filler ingredients

I spend about $30-$35 in just dog food alone... Treats another $25-50 depending if I go the expensive route like bully sticks, duck feet, cow esphogaus etc...

Cheap inexpensive treats you guys should look into is Zukes miniature treats
frown.gif

I feed my Mini aussie Cesar. 

What should i feed him? 

:frown:

I feed my Mini aussie Cesar. 

What should i feed him? 

avoid brands that list "corn meal /ground corn l" as the first ingredients
i feed my dog blue buffalo

Yup, this guy said it best... Anything that has those ingredients as well as "by product" or "processing"...

Remember ingredients are listed from what most-less... So if you see meats or fish listed first, you're heading in the right direction

A good site is dogfoodadvisor.com

They list dog foods from 5stars-1star and its pretty updated as well... They also list the ingredients per food and what is good/bad in it

Blue Buffalo, Taste of the Wild, Wellness, Natural Balance are a few of the top brands

Last edited:
I tried blue buffalo. My dog won't even sniff it.

I was thinking about doing the raw diet, but that gets pricey.

I'll look into it Thanks gaiz.

Last edited:
Yea just do some research, its all about trial and error

My dog doesn't eat dry food, so I went the wet food route which is a little more expensive

Yup, this guy said it best... Anything that has those ingredients as well as "by product" or "processing"...

Remember ingredients are listed from what most-less... So if you see meats or fish listed first, you're heading in the right direction

A good site is dogfoodadvisor.com

Thanks for this, I feed my dog Costco Kirkland brand dry food, good to know it got 4 stars. Might try some others that were recommend.

My pup had its first private training lesson yesterday.

We start puppy class on Saturday.

I have an english bulldog. He is 16 weeks now. I got him when he was 8 weeks. Potty training hasnt been that bad. We use the crate and puppy pads.

Going to slowly transition him to going outside now that he is fully vaccinated.

I think my biggest challenge will be the biting and chewing.... he gets stronger by the day.

View media item 1420147

My pup had its first private training lesson yesterday.

We start puppy class on Saturday.

I have an english bulldog. He is 16 weeks now. I got him when he was 8 weeks. Potty training hasnt been that bad. We use the crate and puppy pads.

Going to slowly transition him to going outside now that he is fully vaccinated.

I think my biggest challenge will be the biting and chewing.... he gets stronger by the day.

View media item 1420147

Bulldogs are characters man cute dog.

I looked up YouTube vids and followed them they were helpful. My dog is an olde English bulldog so he's a little stubborn but a good dog. French Bulldogs are a pain in the butt, just make sure to be alpha male and crate them young.

Didnt know we had other OEB owners on NT. Got any pics of your dog?

I looked up YouTube vids and followed them they were helpful. My dog is an olde English bulldog so he's a little stubborn but a good dog. French Bulldogs are a pain in the butt, just make sure to be alpha male and crate them young.

View media item 1420262View media item 1420263View media item 1420264

He just got over some skin allergies, but he's a pretty mild mannered guy. Slobbers a lot but what can you do haha.

View media item 1420262View media item 1420263View media item 1420264

He just got over some skin allergies, but he's a pretty mild mannered guy. Slobbers a lot but what can you do haha.

damn thats a fine lookin pup. he looks like he's in good shape. people think my girl is in shape because they assume shes a regular english bulldog, but for an OEB she's kinda pudgy.

What was the treatment for the skin allergies? My dog will get skin issues from time to time and my vet put her on this shampoo called Mal-a-ket (or something like that) and it worked great.

mojodmonky1 mojodmonky1

Haha thanks, yeah he gets mistaken for an English as well all the time. I forgot the name of the shampoo but the vet did say he had a food allergy so I've been more cautious of what he eats. How old is your girl?

I have read training puppies is easy. I trained the adult dog I adopted from the pound even when people told me it was impossible. She has a little doberman in her so i think thaf might have made it easier.

Took me 3 months to train her to pee/poop outside.
About 5 months for stay/get

I think teaching her to sleep in her bed took the longest. I can't even remember how long. But to help her out we had her in the kitchen and took everything else away except for the bed. She learned quickly where the warmest place on the travertine floor was. Lol

Props to TheGodFresco TheGodFresco , ii flash ii ii flash ii , and @casekicks for posting their dogs. Brightened up my day.

TheGodFresco TheGodFresco , what can you tell me about Shiba Inu's temperament? Upon research, I was pretty set on a Husky or GSD but I'm years away from a decision and more docile work schedule.

@casekicks, Pom Huskies are adorable but I hear the cross-breeding is unhealthy.

Shibas are one of the few breeds where each dog can be very different. Blaze is super hyper and has a ton of energy, mean while Ghost is a lot calmer and relaxed. Both dogs are pretty independent tho. Both of mine are great in the crate and will stay in their for hours if we are away with no problem. If we leave them alone to roam they dont really make a mess as long as we dont leave paper around ( they love tearing that up) and they play fight with each other until they tired and just lay down. Love these dogs so much

As far as training, it was easy since they are not picky eaters and will eat anything we feed them. We normally use treats and also veggies like baby carrots, small pieces of apple, cheddar cheese, and ham to name a few. As soon as they see any of these things out you don't even need to give them the command to sit when they're already sitting. When we take them for a walk we always bring treats to reward them when they pee/poop, took us less than 2 weeks for them to be potty trained. I strongly suggest crate training because they are less likely to go potty in their beds so how we started was crate for 2-3 hours when they were 10 weeks and we took them out for a walk and then they could have a 15-30 min play time in a control area in our apartment and then back to the crate, for a few more hours and repeat. Make training fun for you and the puppy and they will get it fast. We also started hand feeding them their meals to establish ourselves as leaders and it seems to be working better than when we just left their food out.

Last edited:
My dog has grown super attached to my mom, is there a way to train him out of that? Right now I just treat train him when he ignores her and give a stern "No!" when he whines(for lack of a better term) for her when she drops by.

Last edited:
My dog has grown super attached to my mom, is there a way to train him out of that? Right now I just treat train him when he ignores her and give a stern "No!" when he whines(for lack of a better term) for her when she drops by.

Wonder why hes so attached to your mother.

Your mo, is probably giving him treats behind your back. Naturally if this is happening the dog is going to expect something everytime she comes.

My dog is picky as **** when it comes to eating.

He doesn't each much tho tbh. Like in a whole day he'll eat 1/2 cup dried food mixed with 1/2 a can of wet.

Wonder why hes so attached to your mother.

My dog is the same way... With my mom and my ex's mom, he gets crazy to another level... I caught both of then giving him extra treats and table food, so now I'm basically screwed :lol:

Anyone know how I can get him not to bark when people knock on the door? He barks until he sees the person walk in, it gets annoying

I know its part of his breed but I know it annoys the other people in my building complex :smh:

Your mo, is probably giving him treats behind your back. Naturally if this is happening the dog is going to expect something everytime she comes.
Damn you might be right, I should maybe buy him the best treats money can buy and give her nasty treats to give to him.

A+ thread, big on dogs.
The future Mrs.YoungMoney better love dogs as much as I do or she'll won't make it to the alter.

Back
Top Bottom