Dog Owners: How hard is it to train a puppy?

Any tips on training them to poop outside? My little yorkie has got it down, but our bulldog/beagle (2 years younger) is pretty much unpredictable. I take the dogs out as often as I can (on days when I'm home all day I try to do walks roughly ever 3 hours). I reward & encourage her when she does potty or poop outside, but like aforementioned, I still haven't noticed a pattern with her. I should mention that the irregularity is more noticeable during winter (most likely due to the weather). It's just rough since the only place we can keep her is carpeted. I feel like her habits are set and it may be too late to break? :rolleyes

Last edited:

I like dogs more than people
That raw loyalty. Greeting you with uncontrollable happiness. Regardless of the day's events, you have to smile.
loyaldog.jpg

dawgs for life 

Any tips on training them to poop outside? My little yorkie has got it down, but our bulldog/beagle (2 years younger) is pretty much unpredictable. I take the dogs out as often as I can (on days when I'm home all day I try to do walks roughly ever 3 hours). I reward & encourage her when she does potty or poop outside, but like aforementioned, I still haven't noticed a pattern with her. I should mention that the irregularity is more noticeable during winter (most likely due to the weather). It's just rough since the only place we can keep her is carpeted. I feel like her habits are set and it may be too late to break?
eyes.gif
Your dog may be stubborn in not wanting to go outside during this weather and tries to hold it until they can't? I know my dog always wined and complained when he had to go out while he was raining. But I was just stern and waited until he did his business.

One thing I never thought about was off leash walking... And that starts young. I have a German Shepard and wish I got him on that early. I'm getting into it with him now the older he's gotten but the first couple years were rough. Walking him was a issue actually bc he'd pull. I used a harness but didn't like the way he'd walk while on it. Arms bent like in a push up position with his chest dragging. Finally got him a gentle leader and its night and day. Works the same way a headstall on a horse does. I'd highly recommend anyone having issues with pulling dogs give this a shot over any choke chain. My 10 year old daughter walks him with ease View media item 1425332View media item 1425326

Any tips on training them to poop outside? My little yorkie has got it down, but our bulldog/beagle (2 years younger) is pretty much unpredictable. I take the dogs out as often as I can (on days when I'm home all day I try to do walks roughly ever 3 hours). I reward & encourage her when she does potty or poop outside, but like aforementioned, I still haven't noticed a pattern with her. I should mention that the irregularity is more noticeable during winter (most likely due to the weather). It's just rough since the only place we can keep her is carpeted. I feel like her habits are set and it may be too late to break? :rolleyes

Let your dog watch you do your business and maybe he'll start going into the bathroom. That's what my dog does when I'm not home.

Back
Top Bottom