Dressing Better Vol 2.0

Lauren by Ralph Lauren isn't Polo Ralph Lauren though....

It's just some cheap company that licenses the ""Lauren by Ralph Lauren" name.
Very true. Its made by Jones New York. Its a lesser line made mainly for outlets and department stores. Sometimes you find very nice items. With this being a "Trim Fit" blazer I thought it would be nice to give away to a fellow member. You can't confuse the Polo Ralph Lauren withe Lauren by Ralph Lauren. But honestly the way they are all made they could all be made by the same factory. :lol:

shoulders definitely too big by a couple of inches.

what happened to having suits where the shoulders fit correctly, guys?

somebody should've said something instead of repping his post... not trying to be a **** here....
It's not that bad, more trad than anything. He can be inbetween sizes and the smaller one is too restrictive elsewhere. I know you're not trying to be a jerk but you have taken the cake recently from TypeR :lol:

I mean like I see everyone here pointing out how sleeves are too long, waist is too tight, other things regarding to fit.

But when it comes to the shoulders (which everyone agrees is the most important part of a suit), it seems to get glossed over or ignored.

The shoulder pads on that suit are big and stiff are clearly sticking out.

Lauren by Ralph Lauren isn't Polo Ralph Lauren though....

It's just some cheap company that licenses the ""Lauren by Ralph Lauren" name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polo_Ralph_Lauren

Go the branding section and see the women's under the RL umbrella

Go to the licenses section. You see that some company called Peerless, Inc. produces these Lauren Ralph Lauren suits, along with Sean John, DKNY, Chaps, Calvin Klein, and other brands.

http://www.peerless-clothing.com/en/brands

sorry for the repost, but didn't get much feedback & would like some before i submit some changes.

i just got a suit from indochino & i feel like the jacket/vest fit too tight.. the top back of the jacket is the main concern, but where do you even edit that in their measurement changes (options are below).. seems like there's a slight x when buttoned as well. i also feel like the jacket sleeves are too short.. any feedback would be great!

i posted a few pictures below, but if you need more pictures to determine anything, you can look here http://www.flickr.com/photos/bforbernard/sets/72157634519135456/.

Because you asked for advice, I'll give my opinion. If it feels too tight it probably is. You don't want to feel uncomfortable. Maybe go up half an inch in chest size. It's def slim but it doesn't roll too much at all in the back which is great, just pulls a little bit between your blades. Does it feel better w/o the vest? I like three pieces where I can see some vest above the jacket. It looks like your jacket button stance might be a little high, and I think that vest could have been made to come together with a higher top button. Ditch the vest unless u where it w/o the jacket. The sleeves are def too short. Go up .5-.75". Last thing I noticed is the rise on the slacks looks low, which makes the jacket look maybe an inch too short (only in the front) even though its really not. Problem is if you hike those pants up to where they should be (just under your naval) they'll be all in your ****. Good luck.

I've had better luck with OTR + adjustments than I have with MTM.

Last edited:
I mean like I see everyone here pointing out how sleeves are too long, waist is too tight, other things regarding to fit.

But when it comes to the shoulders (which everyone agrees is the most important part of a suit), it seems to get glossed over or ignored.

Are you going so hard cause its a JCP suit ?

:rofl: I'd assume so....listen I know full well its not a great suit, I spent $84 bucks for a beater summer suit I'm gonna wear a few times before I replace it with something from Jcrew or suit supply once I start my job later this month....the shoulders have LARGE structured pads thats why it looks like how you stated AirForce1, and the arm holes are also lower which restricts movement...not sure how much one can reasonably expect from a suit that cost less than 90 bucks tbh I never said it was perfect, but for how cheap it was and how I needed something last minute I'm good with it. Now in comparison to my Navy SS one, it is trash but its literally pointless to compare the two >D

This is Mike, the owner of Epaulet. This is how he wears his jackets, shoulders are more of a trad fashion than anything. It's from his new capsule that features a looser fit for older guys. The shoulders look almost the same as what Ced posted.

http://cdn.styleforum.net/4/42/500x1000px-LL-427cbaf0_Samuelsohnfit.jpeg

So I have a wedding to go to with my gf first week of August. Its one of her good friend's wedding.

I want to get a new suit...navy or grey...but is 3 piece too much for a wedding that isn't a close personal friend of mine?

:lol: what did you expect? He's in his mid 30s who know a grip about diff constructions of suiting around the world.

I suppose it's the suit that threw me off,I expected a more tailored look but as you mentioned it's definitely more trad...Not saying it looks bad at all I prefer trad style in everything except trousers...

So I have a wedding to go to with my gf first week of August. Its one of her good friend's wedding.

I want to get a new suit...navy or grey...but is 3 piece too much for a wedding that isn't a close personal friend of mine?
it's not too much, but it's August and it would be too damn hot. A 2 piece is enough. Indoor wedding you should do a tie, outdoor weddings ties are optional but wear a blazer and slacks. What is your price range.

First thing is to find out the theme of the wedding.

I suppose it's the suit that threw me off,I expected a more tailored look but as you mentioned it's definitely more trad...Not saying it looks bad at all I prefer trad style in everything except trousers...
I think the more modern look is great for a skinnier guy. For a bigger guy (not only referring to fat, but muscular or not average) trad is the way to go. There's been pieces they designed for the skinnier guys, ie the Neapolitan jacket that he couldn't get his arms into. They launched the new capsule for the older gents. Their audience is wildly wide in age, from late teens to guys in their 60s :lol:

Am I really going hard though? I just pointed out that the shoulders were too big. People critique suit fit regularly in here and don't get any flak for doing so. So why am I? :nerd: :lol:

I pointed out shoulder fitting issues on Carlin's MTM suit from Black Label and one of Adrian's suits too.

:rofl: I'd assume so....listen I know full well its not a great suit, I spent $84 bucks for a beater summer suit I'm gonna wear a few times before I replace it with something from Jcrew or suit supply once I start my job later this month....the shoulders have LARGE structured pads thats why it looks like how you stated AirForce1, and the arm holes are also lower which restricts movement...not sure how much one can reasonably expect from a suit that cost less than 90 bucks tbh I never said it was perfect, but for how cheap it was and how I needed something last minute I'm good with it. Now in comparison to my Navy SS one, it is trash but its literally pointless to compare the two >D

To be perfectly honest, I did point out the shoulders in part of it being JC Penney :lol: It's not because the suit is only $84 bucks or anything. It's because of the way it fits.

You mentioned the same two specific things about JC Penney suits that I don't like and previously mentioned: large shoulder pads and low armholes.

I pointed it because no one else did. I didn't think I would get so much backlash though. :lol:

This is Mike, the owner of Epaulet. This is how he wears his jackets, shoulders are more of a trad fashion than anything. It's from his new capsule that features a looser fit for older guys. The shoulders look almost the same as what Ced posted.

http://cdn.styleforum.net/4/42/500x1000px-LL-427cbaf0_Samuelsohnfit.jpeg

Fair enough. I'm not a big fan of the large shoulder pads sticking out, and I don't think most people here are either.

The shoulders on Lyon's suit were big and I pointed it out because no one else did. I also don't think he was going for the trad look either.

I thought we were all against wearing suits that don't fit correctly (even when they're cheap)?

Are we still on the same page here? :nerd:

Going back to the overcoat talk, definitely looking for a camel wool one for fall/winter. Back from vacation and have some catching up to do on the thread and blog.

shoulders definitely too big by a couple of inches.

what happened to having suits where the shoulders fit correctly, guys?

somebody should've said something instead of repping his post... not trying to be a **** here

That's you trying to be a ****.

The first sentence was fine enough

The suit looks fine imo and I'm sure he didn't go wearing that to look good for suit connoisseurs

Last edited:
Need to buy more alpha khakis. Sometimes I'm jelly of you slim folk, but its never been my goal to look like that. Clothes look great though.

Heads up: Additional 25% off select sale items at Ralph Lauren with code SUMMER13.... A nice selection of polos that come out to 45$ each time to stock up on custom fits :smokin

Do you guys take your collar stays out before the dry cleaners? I had a dress shirt that came with collar stays, I obviously forgot to take them out, and now one is gone. Probably fell out during the cleaning process.Where do you get cheap ones to replace?

Do you guys take your collar stays out before the dry cleaners? I had a dress shirt that came with collar stays, I obviously forgot to take them out, and now one is gone. Probably fell out during the cleaning process. Where do you get cheap ones to replace?

try these.

not to sound like a cheapo, but I only have 2 shirts that use collar stays, I literally need 1 collar stay ha ha. Is that even possible to buy?

Random question but what brand were those suits you bombed us with the other week (Dr.) Rob? All looked great
Sorry I missed this. Not gonna go back and quite but the black and navy are both Tommy Hilfiger, the khaki suit is BR and the 2 linen suits are from h&m

Back
Top Bottom