Dressing Better Vol 2.0

Hows the quality on the Factory stuff?

I woudnt even be able to tell the difference. Quality is still pretty nice. There was a good article on outlet clothing a few pages back.
Is it J Crew Factory? I had ordered a few items for the first time and the quality of the merino wool sweater at least from the online factory store was awful compared to one from the actual (non-factory) store. Merino is generally pretty soft, this was really rough. Most of the other items were fine though, not much of a noticeable difference.

real life...

can anyone compare:

brooks brothers shirts
vs.
express shirts

size wise... like i wear a small in the express extra slim fit... how similar in sizes are brooks brothers?
I personally don't like the cotton/lycra mix or look of Express shirts but the Brooks Brothers extra slim fit is great. Obviously you need to know your neck & sleeve measurements.

Last edited:
Question would I be able to have a couple of straight leg jeans tailored to a slim fit? Theyre jeans that I like color and wash wise but theyre not good fit wise for me anymore cause I'm trying to move towards a slimmer fit. Seems like a waste to just donate them to goodwill without even trying to see if I can keep them or not. Is it possible?

PLS RESPOND

If anyone is an 11A I have a pair of Burgundy wingtips by Florsheim that I bought on eBay are pretty much brand new. Posting pictures later tonight, asking just shipping if anyone is interested.

Question would I be able to have a couple of straight leg jeans tailored to a slim fit? Theyre jeans that I like color and wash wise but theyre not good fit wise for me anymore cause I'm trying to move towards a slimmer fit. Seems like a waste to just donate them to goodwill without even trying to see if I can keep them or not. Is it possible?

PLS RESPOND
Sure. Straight leg jeans woudnt be too difficult to taper into a 514 slim straight type of fit.

Last edited:
Went thru the old camera and decided to post a collection of some of the passed outfits:

Wisith-

What is the brand of the khaki suit in the last pic? I think it's your best fitting suit as the other jackets all seemed too short on you.

Also, it's "past outfits"

These are the shoes, Size 11A. I never wore them myself as they are too narrow, I figure I offer them up here first before taking them to Goodwill in the next day or so.

Thinking of scooping up a couple of simple oxfords, probably cap toe, shoes for daily wear in the office.

Has anybody purchased off eBay? I see some sellers selling Allen Edmonds for about half-off. Knowing the knockoff market for sneakers on eBay, does it exist for dress shoes?

Also, has anybody ever bought pre-worn? Never thought about it, but there's a listing I saw while I was sifting and dude is selling a pair that just came back from being re-crafted at the AE factory.

Just curious, might end up paying retail or waiting for a Nordstrom or AE sale/email.

Thinking of scooping up a couple of simple oxfords, probably cap toe, shoes for daily wear in the office.
Has anybody purchased off eBay? I see some sellers selling Allen Edmonds for about half-off. Knowing the knockoff market for sneakers on eBay, does it exist for dress shoes?
Also, has anybody ever bought pre-worn? Never thought about it, but there's a listing I saw while I was sifting and dude is selling a pair that just came back from being re-crafted at the AE factory.
Just curious, might end up paying retail or waiting for a Nordstrom or AE sale/email.

Have bought pre-owned quite a few times and honestly I'm glad I did with them since they get worn anyway. Just make sure that the soles are in tact and that the leather is also in good condition.

real life...
can anyone compare:
brooks brothers shirts
vs.
express shirts
size wise... like i wear a small in the express extra slim fit... how similar in sizes are brooks brothers?

Brooks Brothers ESF, probably my favorite shirt at the moment along with Charles Tyrwhitt.

You stated you have wide shoulders and a slim torso, so you might still need to take the shirts in a bit. In terms of quality, no comparison, a BB shirt will make an Express shirt look like ****. I'm biased though, not a fan of Express and/or the quality of their products.

Wisith-
What is the brand of the khaki suit in the last pic? I think it's your best fitting suit as the other jackets all seemed too short on you.
Also, it's "past outfits"
Haha, thanks for the correction. Sometimes the mind gets confused about the silliest things.

All of my suits are from Thick as Thieves. They all have the same measurements so it's probably the angle of the camera. My preference is the jacket covering 3/4 of my rear. I wouldn't mind trying one suit that covers the entire rear, but would only rock one with saturated lapel size, at least 3.5" for an old school look.

http://www.thickasthievesla.com/

Last edited:
real life...
can anyone compare:
brooks brothers shirts
vs.
express shirts

Brooks Brothers ESF, probably my favorite shirt at the moment along with Charles Tyrwhitt.

You stated you have wide shoulders and a slim torso, so you might still need to take the shirts in a bit. In terms of quality, no comparison, a BB shirt will make an Express shirt look like ****. I'm biased though, not a fan of Express and/or the quality of their products.

real life...

thank you good sir, and thanks for remembering my body type haha...

if i go to brooks brothers do you think they will help me find out what size fits me best?
i wanna cop some sale stuff online... or will they be rude about it...

Serious question - how do you guys justify J Crew's pricing? I just went there for the first time today to try on a blazer. Yes it fit well but we're talking close to $400 after tax for something that is made in China. Does this stuff get heavily marked down or... ?

real life...
thank you good sir, and thanks for remembering my body type haha...
if i go to brooks brothers do you think they will help me find out what size fits me best?
i wanna cop some sale stuff online... or will they be rude about it...
No, I do it all the time with unfamilar brands and sizing. Try it on, find my size and cop online for a cheaper price. :smokin

and the cold weather is slowly approach and I still haven't pick me a good boot. >: Was thinking about those Vibergs but that 700 price tag is hard to swallow while copping other ish. Thinking about getting the RW Beckhams for 200 and get some black leather laces for a clean contrast. Opinions?

I wanted to pick up some printed shirts and I've got the W-H camo and targeting a new Gitman. Any other printed shirt recommendation would be appreciated.

Serious question - how do you guys justify J Crew's pricing? I just went there for the first time today to try on a blazer. Yes it fit well but we're talking close to $400 after tax for something that is made in China. Does this stuff get heavily marked down or... ?
Well I'll start off by saying "Made In China" doesnt always equal bad quality or workmanship but I get what your saying. JCrew does go on sale though.

I always wondered this as well. If Im patient I can find a really nice high end blazer cheaper than that.

Last edited:
real life...
can anyone compare:
brooks brothers shirts
vs.
express shirts

BB actually has a X slim shirt that is really nice. The fit is more european without looking like a Verizon Store employee.

what are your guys opinion on tie bars? would it make a difference to spend a little more cash to pick up something more nice?

what are your guys opinion on tie bars? would it make a difference to spend a little more cash to pick up something more nice?
thetiebar.com Go there. Keep it simple, tie bars dont need to be anything more than what they are. And for the price, I really really dont think you can beat The Tie Bar. I've got a couple from that site and they're great.

There's some good stuff that are made in China. While their construction isn't the best, for a mall brand it's pretty decent. But anything at the $500 range, I'm going MTM or save up for a Milano for Brooks Bros.

Beezy: Just go in to a local Brooks Bros and you'll be fine. You're probably a 14.5 x 33 gauging by your picture. Like Scabs, I'm certain the Extra Slim Fit shirt will do justice for you.

A collection of past casual outfits:

Can you please post a picture? Maybe one more accurate than the one posted on the site :D

Sorry but it is very difficult to get the actual green color w/o proper lighting but this is the best I could do. You could see that it is darker and greener than the stock photo though.
Summoning my inner KSteezy (minus the good photography). And damn, angle makes the shoe look so much bigger.
9743481.bmp

Last edited:
real life...

idk how you guys feel about h and m but they have some cheaper pants going... cords and some other khaki type pants... excellent for the price imo

real life...
idk how you guys feel about h and m but they have some cheaper pants going... cords and some other khaki type pants... excellent for the price imo

Good price, terrible quality. I still suggest H&M especially for starting out and finding what and how you want clothes to fit you but I see it as a stepping stone to better things. Definitely do not expect things to last but those non-iron $15 solid shirts and $25-$30 chinos/slacks are perfect for starting out.

Back
Top Bottom