Dressing Better Vol 2.0

Only my "dressier" socks(argyle,wool ragg etc..) get washed and worn again...For day to day its basic Hanes black ankle socks,nothing like the feeling of new socks and you get 10 pairs for less than 10 bucks so I wear them once then they get trashed.

To the regs in here, how much would you say you've invested in your wardrobe? Approximate figures or a range would be nice.
I've actually thought about taking a day off from work to build an Excel spreadsheet because I've been curious as well. Maybe my wardrobe is like a new Honda Accord? :lol:

There was a thread like this made on the MC corner on SF and the gents were talking about taking additional insurance out to cover their extreme wardrobes. That's when you know your hobby is out of control :lol:

Let's narrow it down then and just focus on your shoe closet.

Only my "dressier" socks(argyle,wool ragg etc..) get washed and worn again...For day to day its basic Hanes black ankle socks,nothing like the feeling of new socks and you get 10 pairs for less than 10 bucks so I wear them once then they get trashed.
Really? That's such a waste. Especially since those socks are built to last.

Best socks, at least 'fun' socks, for me have been H&M and Urban Outfitters. All my Happy Socks had holes at my big toe within 3 wears :smh: :smh: Sock it to Me, a local sock brand, lasted like 8-9 wears.

I wear Nike Elite socks for everything but dress shoes. Quality is there (2.0 quality is meh, but besides fraying it will last and keep its shape), and it will last a while.

For dress shoes I just have plain black Gold Toe dress shoe socks from Costco. Works for me, although it would be nice to get some nice patterned socks.

Let's narrow it down then and just focus on your shoe closet.
Footwear is an area I don't skimp on. All of my shoes, except for my Quoddy and sneakers, are Goodyear welted. A pair of Goodyear welted shoes/boots can be redone about 5-7 times depending on the craftsmanship of the cobbler. Even if you walk like crazy, ie 5+ miles commute on concrete daily, you'll probably replace the sole yearly at the quickest rate. That's at least half a decade of wears.

I think at least 40% of my expense falls into this category.

just C+Ping from the TAN... would appreciate some feedback

Yo my nyc better dressing NTers, look out for a brother.

I need a decent tailor. The guys in my neighborhood have butchered everything ive given them.

I just want some pants tapered/hemmed and some shirts slimmed down.

If anyones got a spot they reccomend, please hit me up. Im tired of giving money to people to **** my clothes up.

Hey RFX, I ended up copping a Jill Sander black dress shirt off Myhabit for $99. + Tax.

some detailing on front and back, hidden button enclosure. Jill Sander went on sale today, so if you're a fan, then check it out.

MYHABIT

Last edited:
just C+Ping from the TAN... would appreciate some feedback
Yo my nyc better dressing NTers, look out for a brother.
I need a decent tailor. The guys in my neighborhood have butchered everything ive given them.
I just want some pants tapered/hemmed and some shirts slimmed down.
If anyones got a spot they reccomend, please hit me up. Im tired of giving money to people to **** my clothes up.

Where are you located is the first question.

I wear Nike Elite socks for everything but dress shoes. Quality is there (2.0 quality is meh, but besides fraying it will last and keep its shape), and it will last a while.

For dress shoes I just have plain black Gold Toe dress shoe socks from Costco. Works for me, although it would be nice to get some nice patterned socks.

My daughter likes to to buy me Happy Socks.

I want to get a tweed jacket so bad this season. The thrift shops here are trash, haven't found one that I like yet.

Some new stuff from Macy. - also I'm going to check out The Tailoring Room because these shops around my house suck :smh:

Some new stuff from Macy. - also I'm going to check out The Tailoring Room because these shops around my house suck :smh:

I see $49.50 on the shirt tag...did you pay that much? IMO, you can do much better in that price range and I personally stay away from that style of what looks like a solid color, weak point collar, poplin shirt. It's not mustard yellow but it's a little too Dwight Schrute for me.

Nah shirts were only $20 each. That was the original price of the slim tie but also on sale for 20. The socks were 5 each. The most expensive thing was the tie clip (25) lol. Couldn't pass up at only 20 to just throw under a suit jacket.

I do need some new dress shirts. What brands would you say are good and in the 50-100 range

Nah shirts were only $20 each. That was the original price of the slim tie but also on sale for 20. The socks were 5 each. The most expensive thing was the tie clip (25) lol. Couldn't pass up at only 20 to just throw under a suit jacket.
I do need some new dress shirts. What brands would you say are good and in the 50-100 range
id return the tie, looks satin and those types of ties are usually for very formal wear. also return the tie bar. for 25 you could have almost bought two from thetiebar.com
id check them out for ties too, you can definitely find another black one on the site. For shirts, id suggest the mall brands like J. Crew and Banana Republic. Also, nordstrom sales usually carry some nice brands for affordable prices.

Yea the tie is for a very formal wedding I'm going to on fri. Ill probably check out banana republic since my sister in law works there (50% off :pimp: )

What's the material on those shirts you bought? Cotton & lycra or polyester?

It all depends on what you like, I prefer some patterns, even if they're subtle, aside from typical blue & white dress shirts. Do you wear slim fit?

My go to at a lower price point is Charles Tyrwhitt, Brooks Brothers is another popular choice. There are classic, slim or extra slim/tailored fits. A bunch of options in terms of materials, collars & cuffs.

You can go with 4 for $199 or if you only want a couple, there's 15% off with CTSAVE15, not sure if it can be combined with free shipping. Either way you can get most for $40-60.

If you want a purple shirt, they've got a bunch of options, not so much in that cream color. Are you in the city? They have a couple stores in midtown.

They're cotton and polyester. I usually get regular or fitted depends how I feel. Just really trying to switch my style up a little. Getting tires of wearing jeans and t-shirts.

Good looking on all the feedback. What do ya think about Allen Edmond shoes? There's a few wing tips that I have my eye on

They're cotton and polyester. I usually get regular or fitted depends how I feel. Just really trying to switch my style up a little. Getting tires of wearing jeans and t-shirts.
Good looking on all the feedback. What do ya think about Allen Edmond shoes? There's a few wing tips that I have my eye on

I have to agree with what everyone has said so far in regards to the shirts and the tie bar. I think the purple shirt is just too purple, lavender would be much more versatile. The tie, since it's for a formal event you're good. The tie bar is overpriced, as it was said, thetiebar.com has a couple for $15 and I believe Nordstrom's carries a couple as well, as well as some of their ties, and you actually get free shipping if you buy through Nordstrom's. I know people have suggested other brands but I've personally gotten really lucky; dare I say, at JC Penney, with their American Living shirts. Have found spread collar shirts in very nice patterns; actually have a light blue windowpane shirt and a white with purple check shirt, both in cotton, and spread collar and I think I paid $9 for each. They definitely need to be tailored I will say that though. And I see you're a size 18 neck and 35/36 sleeves, they have plenty of large sizes as JC Penney. I'd even go as far as recommending Targets Merona brand for a simple white cotton button down in a spread collar.

Allen Edmonds...I think you can't go wrong with them, simple as that. I think most would agree.

Apologies if this question has already been asked, but how anyone here know how Mishka button down shirts fit? There's a nice shirt on jackthreads that I'm having a hard time passing on...

Back
Top Bottom