Dressing Better Vol 2.0

Where is the fellow NT brethren who can hook it up on occasion for Allen Edmonds? I'm considering the McTavish and would be willing to throw him some bones if he were able to get a better discount than what I can find so that it is mutually beneficial. Please PM me.

:nerd:

This is why quality footwear is essential.

Where is the fellow NT brethren who can hook it up on occasion for Allen Edmonds? I'm considering the McTavish and would be willing to throw him some bones if he were able to get a better discount than what I can find so that it is mutually beneficial. Please PM me.

:nerd:
The homie C might have made a transitional change. Go through Shoebank and see what's good with AE seconds

Info on the first post (last part)

All-American basics brand American Giant add a little more style to their lineup with a new unisex varsity jacket. We have come to know and appreciate American Giant for their quality and unique heavy fabric weight, and this new varsity is no exception. The all-cotton jacket features metal snaps, three-inch cuffs, and reinforced stitching to make sure it lasts. The piece is available in two-tones as black and white, as well as in navy and gold. What make this American-made jacket stand out from the varsity crowd are the elbow cuffs, adding that extra detail. Look for these online for a wallet-friendly $99.

http://www.american-giant.com/men-s-varsity-jacket.html

been wanting a fedora for the longest while to diversify my hat game, so I went to this store by my job (Goorin Brothers)
i had looked online to make sure they had the exact type I wanted (Good Boy)
even looked at feathers to put in the hat to make it stand out a lil

Better pix to come

Stixx those jackets go hard:smokin

i can't understand stuff like that, like why not give it away after a few years of enjoying it. Let someone else have it..cop new gear.
If you want to go that route, just buy cheap shoes that are glued and can be disposed of after they wear down.

Touch quality leather and compared that with cheaper one. The quality and craftsmanship is day and night.

If you want to go that route, just buy cheap shoes that are glued and can be disposed of after they wear down.

Touch quality leather and compared that with cheaper one. The quality and craftsmanship is day and night.

I feel you man, i dont buy cheap glued shoes. Most of my shoes are either Ferragmo or AE, or Ralph Lauren. Not sayin all my shoes are 1k+ but they are nice.
The point i am making is that I just don't like holding on to things for extended periods of time. I like giving them away and getting more nice stuff. I don't like to put material items on a pedestal and attach sentimental value to them.

Last edited:
I feel you man, i dont buy cheap glued shoes. Most of my shoes are either Ferragmo or AE, or Ralph Lauren. Not sayin all my shoes are 1k+ but they are nice.
The point i am making is that I just don't like holding on to things for extended periods of time. I like giving them away and getting more nice stuff. I don't like to put material items on a pedestal and attach sentimental value to them.
More power to you if you have the bread to do it, my man. Most of my shoes range from $500-900 per pair. Factor in that I have 30 pairs or so, I don't have the bread or even want to replace them all just in several years.

At the rate I'm wearing, and how I wear....from car to office with not so much concrete walking, I doubt they'll wear down soon.

Speaking of Ferragamo, designer shoes are something I can't get into. Returned a pair of Prada shoe today. Copped for $500 at 55 percent off. Quality and feel just isn't up to par for me. Sucks too because I've even wanting the creepers for years but retail is just too much.

Also returned Gucci bluchers and Ferragamo drivers in the past for the same reason.

I don't understand how you're equating wearing and resoling/conditioning a pair of shoes for 30+ years to putting them on a pedestal and attaching sentimental value to them?

I mean, if those items are more important to you than other more meaningful things, sure, but dude likely has a pair of shoes that he likes, are comfortable and serve him well.  The aspect of giving things away is great but I don't know, to me the need to move onto more nice stuff is even more materialistic.  You're constantly consuming and it seems like there's a desire to have the newest thing.

I don't wear dress shoes but I can appreciate a beat up pair of boots. I like the idea of wearing them for years and wearing the hell out of them then conditioning the leather and repeating.

I don't understand how you're equating wearing and resoling/conditioning a pair of shoes for 30+ years to putting them on a pedestal and attaching sentimental value to them?

I mean, if those items are more important to you than other more meaningful things, sure, but dude likely has a pair of shoes that he likes, are comfortable and serve him well.  The aspect of giving things away is great but I don't know, to me the need to move onto more nice stuff is even more materialistic.  You're constantly consuming and it seems like there's a desire to have the newest thing.
Well said, man. You'll get to a point where you're comfy with what you have. I'm happy with my $500 suits and shoes right now. I can't shell out the bread for bespoke or Tom Ford suits yet. I also lack the funds to buy EG, GG or JL footwear too. Though the stuff I have are on the medium range in the grand scheme of things, I'm pretty content.

Also note that materials like shell is known for its patina so that only forms with numerous wears. To throw away after a couple of years would be shameful. Heck, my Ravello boots from Alden that I ordered in 2010 haven't even come in yet :lol:

Well said, man. You'll get to a point where you're comfy with what you have. I'm happy with my $500 suits and shoes right now. I can't shell out the bread for bespoke or Tom Ford suits yet. I also lack the funds to buy EG, GG or JL footwear too. Though the stuff I have are on the medium range in the grand scheme of things, I'm pretty content.

Also note that materials like shell is known for its patina so that only forms with numerous wears. To throw away after a couple of years would be shameful. Heck, my Ravello boots from Alden that I ordered in 2010 haven't even come in yet
laugh.gif
eek.gif
Seriously? What kinda waitlist is that?
laugh.gif

The point of that is that you buy those shoes and you do not need to replace them. We are in a forum where people buy multiple, unnecessary pairs of shoes. Now that's not a knock on anyone because I am guilty of it as well. But to others, they can buy those loafers and never have to buy another pair of brown loafers again and they save plenty of money in the process.

It's not about it being put in a pedestal, it is about buying quality shoes that last to save money in the long run and if you like them or are simply very comfortable, then why not?

As for sentimental value, nothing wrong with that at all. If I have a good story with the shoes like if it is the shoes I wore when I proposed to my wife of 50 years for example and she remembers those shoes, no way in hell I'd give those away unless of course my grand kid wants them chances are, I'll ask to be buried in them. I mean we are in a forum where we buy crappy retroes because MJ wore them on the court, yeah yeah it can argued that it sells out because of hype and resell and more hype, etc... but I think it is safe to say that plenty of us here buy them for sentimental value. XII taxis were my very first Jordans ever and that has sentimental value to me, I lost it in my HS locker but one of these days I'll have another pair that I'll wear here and there. Really nothing wrong with being attached with shoes or anything in your life that could mean something.

Last edited:
Well said guys ScarsorScabs, WJ4, RFX45
you all bring up great points. I may have a diff way of doing things, but I still respect everyone's views and their way of doing things.

More power to you if you have the bread to do it, my man. Most of my shoes range from $500-900 per pair. Factor in that I have 30 pairs or so, I don't have the bread or even want to replace them all just in several years.

At the rate I'm wearing, and how I wear....from car to office with not so much concrete walking, I doubt they'll wear down soon.

Speaking of Ferragamo, designer shoes are something I can't get into. Returned a pair of Prada shoe today. Copped for $500 at 55 percent off. Quality and feel just isn't up to par for me. Sucks too because I've even wanting the creepers for years but retail is just too much.

Also returned Gucci bluchers and Ferragamo drivers in the past for the same reason.

speaking of pradas, i still need to cop the joints with the air bubble sole. saw a pair in Selfridges last year that I wanted to cop but chickened out..still haven't got around to finding them.

:wow: Seriously? What kinda waitlist is that? :lol:
It usually takes 6 months but kept moving. It's indefinite now. I've heard Alden isn't doing anymore orders for lighter shells since they're scarce as of 2013.

My dream of owning #4 shell is still out there though :lol:

Back
Top Bottom