Dressing Better Vol 2.0

Disposable utensils!? Are you ******* kidding?!
Don't be a bully now..

DBNT: THE BULLIES OF #MENSWEAR
Blog name

i admire the effort some of y'all put into this.

i have a LOT of nice clothes but im soo lazy and tired in the mornings.. i'll usually just throw on a comfy button down and some chinos. i literally always roll into the office as my shift starts :smh:

i'd like to start ironing the night before and have my ish ready

My wife and I end up taking our clothes for the week on Sunday and steam it for the week.

how yall feel about steamers? i aint about that ironing life.

Con-Air ftw!

I haven't even taken either pair of my ludlow pants to the tailor yet. Got the Italian wool joints. Paid full price but I like them. Been wearing them OTR and even getting compliments. They need a little work though. Tighten up the waist a little bit and shorten them a tad. That's why I'm so tempted on the jacket because I feel it will be very good fit OTR as well. Hmmm...

If Ludlow fits very well OTR, stick with it.

It doesn't take much effort to pick out my outfits to be honest. That's the beauty of not doing the matchy/matchy thing like back in the sneaker days. There's usually something I work around...something I want to wear, be it shoes or a tie or whatever, and I think about the rest. I usually do this when I drive home or something :lol: Save as in the brain and pick it out when I wake up.

couple of questions for you guys:

1. when you get alterations done by a tailor, and it looks great when they pin it, but doesn't look quite right when you get back the finished product (like you ask for a no break hem, and it's still a little too long, for example, or the taper is too tight/loose and the pants don't drape right), will they fix it for you? or do you basically have to pay for a whole new alteration.

2. can some of you guys post side views of your suit fits? i've recently gone from "slim straight" trousers to slim to get a more tapered look, but the pants don't seem to drape properly despite feeling like the right size.

no self-respecting tailor will double charge you. if you are unhappy or want something changed a bit more they should alter it further at no extra charge until it is to your satisfaction.

It doesn't take much effort to pick out my outfits to be honest. That's the beauty of not doing the matchy/matchy thing like back in the sneaker days. There's usually something I work around...something I want to wear, be it shoes or a tie or whatever, and I think about the rest. I usually do this when I drive home or something :lol: Save as in the brain and pick it out when I wake up.

Essentially this is where I'm at now as well. Usually it revolves, as well, around something I want to wear, granted instead of what do I want to wear tomorrow, it's what do I want to wear for the week. It was a bit tedious at first, planning out 4 outfits (Friday's are casual so it's easier to just grab jeans, a shirt and shoes and call it a day) but it eliminates at least 5-10 minutes from my morning routine and allows me to add that to sleeping lol. This week I knew I wanted to incorporate my navy cords and olive trousers, the rest was easy. Next week I'll figure out sometime this weekend lol.

1. when you get alterations done by a tailor, and it looks great when they pin it, but doesn't look quite right when you get back the finished product (like you ask for a no break hem, and it's still a little too long, for example, or the taper is too tight/loose and the pants don't drape right), will they fix it for you? or do you basically have to pay for a whole new alteration.

2. can some of you guys post side views of your suit fits? i've recently gone from "slim straight" trousers to slim to get a more tapered look, but the pants don't seem to drape properly despite feeling like the right size.

Don't have side pictures but I can help you with the first question.

My tailor and in my opinion any good reputable tailor will re-do the work at no extra cost especially if it wasn't done to what you expected based on pinning. I've had trousers that weren't tapered enough and didn't notice until a few weeks later (sometimes I don't feel like trying stuff on) and my guy still took care of it weeks later. Building a relationship with tailor is important and they are more prone to taking care of you if something isn't done right.

no self-respecting tailor will double charge you. if you are unhappy or want something changed a bit more they should alter it further at no extra charge until it is to your satisfaction.
Exactly. I can bring a pair of pants to my tailor that I got done months ago and tell her it fits funny, and she will fix it at no charge.

Returning customers is where the money is at.

Adrian can probably help out with #2.

Interesting. So if I go get the waist of that jacket I posted earlier taken in then I shouldn't pay a dime? We'll see what happens with that when I go back.

I'm Also primed to do the wedding thing next week and am going to buy a tie off the tie bar. Wanted to go with a green/Navy mix. Suits going to be Navy, white shirt, and walnut shoes. Yay or nay?

Interesting. So if I go get the waist of that jacket I posted earlier taken in then I shouldn't pay a dime? We'll see what happens with that when I go back.

I'm Also primed to do the wedding thing next week and am going to buy a tie off the tie bar. Wanted to go with a green/Navy mix. Suits going to be Navy, white shirt, and walnut shoes. Yay or nay?
Combo sounds fine but really understand what these dudes are saying.

If you bring something in and say you asked the jacket to be worked on in general, you cannot be act unsatisfied that it didn't come back against your specifications, if you never made them. Now if you told the tailor to suppress the midsection, different story.

Even if you had a pic, you need to say exactly what you want to be done. For example, if you say work on the sleeve and he only adjusts the length but does not taper the arm, you cannot come back stating you are unhappy. Mention everything that needs to be done. You can't expect your tailor to read your mind.

Combo sounds fine but really understand what these dudes are saying.

If you bring something in and say you asked the jacket to be worked on in general, you cannot be act unsatisfied that it didn't come back against your specifications, if you never made them. Now if you told the tailor to suppress the midsection, different story.

Even if you had a pic, you need to say exactly what you want to be done. For example, if you say work on the sleeve and he only adjusts the length but does not taper the arm, you cannot come back stating you are unhappy. Mention everything that needs to be done. You can't expect your tailor to read your mind.
Good point. I really didnt tell them to do much except raise the sleeves to my desired length which I think they did a good job on. I had no intention of even wearing it anyone until it was mentioned that it could be saved. If I would have to pay for that touch up I wouldnt object.

3" slim tie, 1.5" tie bar?

Last edited:
If that's the case, then yeah you definitely can't claim anything.

3" tie is fine. Ditch the tie bar. Way too overdone now

Dope fit bro.. Keep the goat-t def your look bro.... IMO (don't take it personal).. I think straight leg trousers will take your fits to the next level...tapered works best with slender/leaner framed guys.. Athletic and larger frame guys do better with straight leg trousers.. Here are a couple of examples without even trying to dig

David beckham (athletic)

Clooney and beckham

^ thanks man! The trousers in that post actually weren't tapered at all and are part of their "classic" or "straight" fit when JCP had their own brand under Nick Wooster's direction. Another part of it I think is that I need to find the leg opening that fits my frame better. I think I finally have it down, like literally as of about 2 weeks ago lol. I had anywhere from 8"-9" leg openings and I think I've finally settled on 8". The drop from my upper body to my waist is not the usual, 10" compared to the usual 6".

Bro I feel your pain.. I wear a size 13 shoe and I am 6'1" 220 very athletic build.. When I wear anything under 9-8.5 leg opening I look like a clown.. I am very particular about my pant break.. I believe that a simple pant break can elevate an outfit..

Anymore sites like Grailed.com? Trying to sell some of my clothing. Can't use eBay 
Speaking of grailed, anyone here selling on there? If so, how do you like it?

May need to try since a couple items are not moving on eBay.

I couldn't sell a pair of Cole Haans on there that I had. And I still see some stuff I saw when I first got mention of it - so can't really say right now 

Looking for a pair of wing tips to go with a slim british khaki suit. Probably looking to spend 150-200 and can be pre-owned.

Any ideas?

This thread has helped me out a ton
nthat.gif

Can anyone direct me to a pair of suede double monks in the USA for 300 or less?

I know a few from europe but don't feel like ordering from there unless I can't find a pair in the states.

Back
Top Bottom