Dressing Better Vol 2.0

For my tall and skinny brethren, where do you get your slim fitting dress shirts? I'm tired of struggling to get my shirt to fit right w/o the ballooning in the back. I'm trying to stay under $30 in price

I usually get my dress shirts from Nordstrom Rack. They've got slim fit shirts for ~$30. The one near me usually also has Calvin Klein extra-slim shirts if that's what you're looking for (I've never bought one, but I might next time I need a shirt).

^ How tall are you?

I get dress shirts at the J Crew outlet for 35. They fit pretty slim to me, not sure about height.

wj4 single-handedly dressing everyone in this thread lol :smokin respect
im on hunt for a pair of dark brown/black/oxblood boots similar to Alden Cordovan boots or these

looking to spend no more than 200 though...any help???
been looking for something like this too, pics of fits with these type of shoes too please anyone :nerd:

^ How tall are you?

I get dress shirts at the J Crew outlet for 35. They fit pretty slim to me, not sure about height.
6'2 or 6'3. The closest J Crew outlet to me is like 30 minutes away, so I stick to the mall near by.

pumpfake, Bass Weejuns are a good alternative in terms of loafers. Those Swims posted above are pretty unique. For some reason, they remind me of Native shoes in terms of taking a classic design and making them more casual.

I wear my Weejun penny loafers quite often with chinos (Alpha Khakis, which are awesome btw). I also thought of TSB's piece they did a while ago on loafers being timeless classics.

Link to the article.
hhhornet, do you have a pair of bass loafers yourself? if you do, how comfortable are they? should i spend a little extra(around $50) on cole haan loafers instead? comfort is a big deal to me when it comes to non-sneaker shoes

http://www.endless.com/Mens-Shoes-L...=brands&asin=B0030MJ074&ref=sr_1_4&pageCode=d

Last edited:
If Aldo shoes match your budget, then go ahead and purchase them. If you can spend $100-$200 more though, steer far away. My Aldo shoes looked like they've been worn for 5-6 years with deep @#$ wrinkles, scuff marks, torn leather, front end bending up, etc. And this was after ONE night out! In comparison, the shoes I paid $300 for still look near brand new after 6 months of wear, minus the usual slight creasing. Even my $30 beaters from Target (featured in GQ somehow 8) ) have lasted me 4 years already; I just don't wear them much cause they're bulky. Aldos are strictly shoes for going out.

For my tall and skinny brethren, where do you get your slim fitting dress shirts? I'm tired of struggling to get my shirt to fit right w/o the ballooning in the back. I'm trying to stay under $30 in price
As long as everything else fits, ie the length of the sleeves and neck, you can get the sides taken in by a local tailor for $10-20 to delete the ballooning effect.

wj4 single-handedly dressing everyone in this thread lol :smokin respect
im on hunt for a pair of dark brown/black/oxblood boots similar to Alden Cordovan boots or these

looking to spend no more than 200 though...any help???

been looking for something like this too, pics of fits with these type of shoes too please anyone :nerd:

Not exactly the same, but within the price range.

Johnston and Murphy - NEWELL BOOT $185

1_90284_FS.JPG

Johnston and Murphy - HATTINGTON WINGTIP BOOT $195

still on the wall, but scooped these for $65 from nordstrom's anniversary sale. opinions?

the color is "slate" which is a grey-ish/taupe-ish mix

^I dig. But I may be biased because I like brogues in general :lol: It would be very versatile as well.

^I dig. But I may be biased because I like brogues in general :lol: It would be very versatile as well.
i definitely am too and i dig the price especially. my only quarrel is that i have never owned a grey shoe (non-sneaker) before. the picture honestly makes them look a tad lighter than they are. just trying to figure out if my staple of selvedge jeans work well with the tops i pair these bad boys with. also, are these too casual for a suit?

i definitely am too and i dig the price especially. my only quarrel is that i have never owned a grey shoe (non-sneaker) before. the picture honestly makes them look a tad lighter than they are. just trying to figure out if my staple of selvedge jeans work well with the tops i pair these bad boys with. also, are these too casual for a suit?
No way, man. I would rock them with a suit in a heart beat. It has a nice summery feeling to it because of the color. Some would say they are casual since that's the nature. Captoe and plain toe are more formal where as brogues are more casual, but I say forget the rule, man.

The jeans will bleed onto the shoes though so you may have to cuff or double cuff the jeans so they don't make contact with the shoes. If so, go with no socks or bright socks....that will be dope to the 19th power.

Seems Nordy is having a good sale this time. Saw a bunch of people waiting for the store to open at 11AM today.

I'm still waiting for my gray brogue boots to be made. It's like a month behind schedule. The workers probably took time off to go watch the Olympics or something.

As long as everything else fits, ie the length of the sleeves and neck, you can get the sides taken in by a local tailor for $10-20 to delete the ballooning effect.

Yea, my sleeve and neck are good, it's just the bunching up from trying to tuck the shirt in and it being too loose. I'm gon have to find a good tailor. I want my suit jacket altered as well

I definitely agree with SFC - Aldo shoes get ruined in a matter of days/weeks! They look great the first few times you wear them but fall apart real quickly. I wear a suit to work everyday and scruffy shoes really change the entire appearance.

A friend of mine has a blog that I go to once in a while for some ideas...pretty cool IMO. Let me know what you guys think.

http://thepreppygoon.tumblr.com/

I definitely agree with SFC - Aldo shoes get ruined in a matter of days/weeks! They look great the first few times you wear them but fall apart real quickly. I wear a suit to work everyday and scruffy shoes really change the entire appearance.

A friend of mine has a blog that I go to once in a while for some ideas...pretty cool IMO. Let me know what you guys think.

http://thepreppygoon.tumblr.com/

so he just comments on some pics. Awesome

still on the wall, but scooped these for $65 from nordstrom's anniversary sale. opinions?

Pinoy, those are dope man! you could even throw in the colored laces with it to bring in a little more color too....those would be great for even just some chinos and even jeans too if you wanted to...plus that price :smokin

I need to go to the tailor near me and get some shirts taken in on the sides, I hate that balloning some of them have. I know it'll run ~10-15 per shirt but I was wondering what an acceptable "tightness" would be? I know some of the ones in GQ are impractical but what's a reasonable amount to get a slim fit for dress shirt taken in to? Any pics would be great

Last edited:

Trying to stay under $30 is gonna be tough. I would generally say hit the GAP, H&M, or J.Crew factory store, but I've had to get shirts tailored from them, which adds on an additional fee. But, definitely start there.

Nice pick up. I was on the fence about those, the blue one to be exact. They look better from your pic.

RL wingtips came in. Love them.

The color on these is serious :pimp:

Back
Top Bottom