Dressing Better Vol 2.0

...i was going to post the same thing :wow:
and c'mon bro. i need to make sure i look better than all my friends for NYE. i know one will try and give me a run for my money :lol:
When someone tries to come and take that pretty boy title from you, you gotta up the ante, man. :smokin

Hope you dudes have fun, but if you get drunk...don't drive.

...i was going to post the same thing :wow:
and c'mon bro. i need to make sure i look better than all my friends for NYE. i know one will try and give me a run for my money :lol:
When someone tries to come and take that pretty boy title from you, you gotta up the ante, man. :smokin

Hope you dudes have fun, but if you get drunk...don't drive.
haha i feel you on that Wis.
and no worries fam. all transit will be done via trains :pimp:
Happy new years to you and all DB fam!

blaz3n what brand and model are the boots you posted ? look pretty interesting. would like to see more pics of different angles.

thanks

This goes out to all of the gents too...if you guys plan on drinking tomorrow night, please make sure you do it safely. We don't want to be in August of 2013 and thinking "what happened to that guy who used to post" only to find out he never got bailed out from the arrest charge of DUI :lol:

also wj4, noticed you posted the red wings moc boots a couple times now. if you ever see the copper colorway for this price or cheaper please post it up or pm me if you can. been trying to find them for that price ($159.99 or less) without any luck.

thanks in advance.

also wj4, noticed you posted the red wings moc boots a couple times now. if you ever see the copper colorway for this price or cheaper please post it up or pm me if you can. been trying to find them for that price ($159.99 or less) without any luck.
thanks in advance.
I'll post up good deals in the thread, man. Cheers.

$10 above your budget, but I would go with these hands down. If I didn't have ample rugged boots, I'd get them myself.
http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/red-win...extualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=&resultback=0

Those are cool, but kinda to big and bulky for daily casual wear i feel.. Maybe I need to see them in person, I could be wrong..

blaz3n what brand and model are the boots you posted ? look pretty interesting. would like to see more pics of different angles.
thanks

http://shop.ronniefieg.com/products/sebago-bergen-boot-brown

Decided on a shawl collar instead of velvet blazer for nye. Are the red pants too loud for a formal event? Excuse the mirror and untied bowtie as I have yet to learn how to tie that thing :lol:

Decided on a shawl collar instead of velvet blazer for nye. Are the red pants too loud for a formal event? Excuse the mirror and untied bowtie as I have yet to learn how to tie that thing :lol:

im sure is the angle of the picture but the jacket looks maddd short...lol

i love the look though.

If it's a true formal event then yes. For a formal event, black patent leather shoes and navy/black suit or tux.

Tying a bowtie is easy, man. I prefer tying a bowtie to a tie.

im sure is the angle of the picture but the jacket looks maddd short...lol
i love the look though.

Thanks. Yeah, it actually is pretty cropped. Thanks to H&M for that. You think it works though even with it being so short? It covers maybe half my rear.

Also got these Cole Haans for $60 to go with the outfit. Nordstrom Rack ftw!

Last edited:
I did some research on Mango and I see it's a women's line?

Went to the two nearby Walmart branches and found no Harris Tweed jackets. Mad house in there :lol:

Stopped by 2 thrift stores today, Salvation Army and Goodwill, and found nothing exciting. I guess this thrifting thing isn't for me.

If it's a true formal event then yes. For a formal event, black patent leather shoes and navy/black suit or tux.
Tying a bowtie is easy, man. I prefer tying a bowtie to a tie.

Ok, maybe not true formal event...I can probably get away with the red pants.

As for the bowtie - man, I've been struggling. So many youtube videos and diagrams online and I still can't figure it out :smh: Will have to get one of my boys to tie it for me before heading to the main event tomorrow :lol:

Thanks. Yeah, it actually is pretty cropped. Thanks to H&M for that. You think it works though even with it being so short? It covers maybe half my rear.
Also got these Cole Haans for $60 to go with the outfit. Nordstrom Rack ftw!
It can work, make sure the trousers are just as slim and has no break. Also, nice call on the shoes...patent leather is right on.

I did some research on Mango and I see it's a women's line?
Went to the two nearby Walmart branches and found no Harris Tweed jackets. Mad house in there :lol:
Stopped by 2 thrift stores today, Salvation Army and Goodwill, and found nothing exciting. I guess this thrifting thing isn't for me.

The thing about thrifting is that you have to be relentless...Very hit or miss, as I'm sure you have seen in SF posts.

It can work, make sure the trousers are just as slim and has no break. Also, nice call on the shoes...patent leather is right on.

The pants are actually Dockers Alphas...Do you think I can get away with wearing them? Slim and tapered with a little/minimal break. If not I may have to swing by BR or someplace to get some actual trousers. And I may have not explained the event properly, but it's a NYE party at the Gaylord hotel which is supposed to be pretty classy but I'm fairly certain I can get away with the loud colored pants.

Last edited:
Thrifting is a tough one. I guess I would say I have a love/hate relationship with thrifting.

I've been dedicated for 10 years or so. Started when I was in about 9th grade and was looking for vintage sneakers mostly, vintage sports apparel (Starter jackets, etc.)

I've been through a lot of phases in the way I dress, but have definitely settled down to appreciate more traditional menswear. No matter what I was into at the moment, Starter jackets, vintage Polo, etc. I always turned to the thrift stores. I've found some awesome stuff like a 1992 Polo bear sweater, countless pairs of nice dress shoes (Allen Edmonds, Ferragamo, etc, even found 1 pair from Edward Green) I've got a couple dozen of nice shirts from Zegna, Canali, Brioni, etc. Nice pants, sweaters, etc.

As mentioned, it gets frustrating since it's so hit or miss. One thing is for certain, there will always be more disappointing trips than successful ones.

I buy anything I can that's worth money, keep what fits me and sell the rest to help pay for school. I don't make any high figures like shown on Styleforum, but I make enough to pay for my textbooks so i'm a happy camper.

Wj4, you're in Los Angeles, correct? I think I posted about this a few months back, but Los Angeles has been very disappointing for me when it comes to thrifting. I don't have a car while i'm there for school, so it's tough to get around the entire city. I've been limited to taking the bus to Santa Monica, but the Goodwill and Salvation Army stores there are certainly a waste of my time. I had dreams of finding the coolest stuff, but now I look forward to coming home to San Diego so I can go thrifting :lol: I'm sure the good stuff is around, just need a bit of luck, I guess.

Last edited:
Thrifting is a tough one. I guess I would say I have a love/hate relationship with thrifting.
I've been dedicated for 10 years or so. Started when I was in about 9th grade and was looking for vintage sneakers mostly, vintage sports apparel (Starter jackets, etc.)
I've been through a lot of phases in the way I dress, but have definitely settled down to appreciate more traditional menswear. No matter what I was into at the moment, Starter jackets, vintage Polo, etc. I always turned to the thrift stores. I've found some awesome stuff like a 1992 Polo bear sweater, countless pairs of nice dress shoes (Allen Edmonds, Ferragamo, etc, even found 1 pair from Edward Green) I've got a couple dozen of nice shirts from Zegna, Canali, Brioni, etc. Nice pants, sweaters, etc.
As mentioned, it gets frustrating since it's so hit or miss. One thing is for certain, there will always be more disappointing trips than successful ones.
I buy anything I can that's worth money, keep what fits me and sell the rest to help pay for school. I don't make any high figures like shown on Styleforum, but I make enough to pay for my textbooks so i'm a happy camper.
Wj4, you're in Los Angeles, correct? I think I posted about this a few months back, but Los Angeles has been very disappointing for me when it comes to thrifting. I don't have a car while i'm there for school, so it's tough to get around the entire city. I've been limited to taking the bus to Santa Monica, but the Goodwill and Salvation Army stores there are certainly a waste of my time. I had dreams of finding the coolest stuff, but now I look forward to coming home to San Diego so I can go thrifting :lol: I'm sure the good stuff is around, just need a bit of luck, I guess.

I used to thrift for women's clothing. Particularly leather goods. Here in Houston we have the Shoe Hospital and they do amazing restoration work on all leather goods. I could find lots of High End goods, have them restored and turn a nice profit. One of the ways I supported myself when I first got out the Navy. Key was to go to the nice areas.

I would also buy furniture. Those were the days. I dont have the time for it now though.

I will go every now and then just to reminisce.

How are J Crews chinos and how often to they run sales?

Also, if J Crew isn't that great, what would you guys recommend.

I need slim chinos ASAP.

The pants are actually Dockers Alphas...Do you think I can get away with wearing them? Slim and tapered with a little/minimal break. If not I may have to swing by BR or someplace to get some actual trousers. And I may have not explained the event properly, but it's a NYE party at the Gaylord hotel which is supposed to be pretty classy but I'm fairly certain I can get away with the loud colored pants.
Taper with no break would yield great results IMO.

Yes, I recall you posting about this a while back. There's the problem...you have no car. The L.A., Southern California for that matter, was built around the use of private transportation. A lot of the folks actually think L.A. is one of the better spots in the nation for treasure finds (yes these folks actually go around the country). You just need to know what you're looking for. Obvious items will not jump out at you. Some of these guys thrift 10+ hours a day, so it's basically like panning for gold :lol: I just did it for the experience, and to kill time.

The jacket just looks too small to me. Short and looks a bit tight.

Back
Top Bottom