Dressing Better Vol 2.0

Thanks again to the entire DB fam! Really do appreciate the support gents. Here's some pics from today's event (Dad's still trying to get a hang of that damn DSLR)
'

(My girl actually did not graduate btw. She's still got two more years)
congrats Adrian! best of luck to you in the future

Someone left bleach in the washer and it completely ruined my brand new shirt. I feel sick right now.
Washed it to see if it'd shrink a bit before taking it to my tailor...might as well throw it out now. Damn shirt looks tie die with yellow spots all over it

Thanks again sarteaga for that glen plaid link. came out to $81 with a gift card.
p.s. my eyes tend to water also when wearing sunglassses.

you're welcome and an even better price! if you don't mind me asking, is there a reason for this? How was it fixed?

Pinoy congrats on graduation! Mine is the 28th, will probably post my fit if I take decent enough pics :lol: .

You are a clone of your mom! :wow:

Scratch that last post. Shirt isn't nearly as bad as I thought it looked.

Anyway, while cleaning my closet out I realized that I really don't have any pants other than 2 pairs of denim, 3 chinos (light grey, navy and maroon), and a pair of dark grey trousers. What should I purchase to build up my wardrobe in regards to pants?

Last edited:
Scratch that last post. Shirt isn't nearly as bad as I thought it looked.

Anyway, while cleaning my closet out I realized that I really don't have any pants other than 2 pairs of denim, 3 chinos (light grey, navy and maroon), and a pair of dark grey trousers. What should I purchase to build up my wardrobe in regards to pants?

I think you have some great basics. I would just suggest adding adding a pair of wool trousers in gray and navy, and maybe some khaki twill pants too.

Thanks Serg, any recommendations? Last time I asked about pants I needed them in a hurry so grabbed a wool blend from BR when they went on sale, they look nice now that I got them tailored. I want to try a different brand though, something a bit more quality than BR. Not really looking to spend over 100 like HY or Epaulet though

Thanks Serg, any recommendations? Last time I asked about pants I needed them in a hurry so grabbed a wool blend from BR when they went on sale, they look nice now that I got them tailored. I want to try a different brand though, something a bit more quality than BR. Not really looking to spend over 100 like HY or Epaulet though

I like Gap Tailored Trousers, have a navy and charcoal in those, and frankly if you are going to be rotating them and not wearing them more than once a week I would look at H&M and even JCP. JCP had some really great flannel trousers for cheap so if you live in a cold weather state those would come in handy too. I'd go as far as saying if you are looking into buying a suit; a navy and/or gray suit, go with a wool one in each and that way you can double the trousers and jackets as separates.

I like Gap Tailored Trousers, have a navy and charcoal in those, and frankly if you are going to be rotating them and not wearing them more than once a week I would look at H&M and even JCP. JCP had some really great flannel trousers for cheap so if you live in a cold weather state those would come in handy too. I'd go as far as saying if you are looking into buying a suit; a navy and/or gray suit, go with a wool one in each and that way you can double the trousers and jackets as separates.

He asks for pants better than BR quality...then you recommend him Gap? The brand that's intentionally made to be not as good as BR? Then you move even further down to H&M and finally end up at JC Penney's?

??? :lol:

try club monaco. they have free shipping with no limit right now. they have some cheap pants on sale.

or Brooks brothers Milano Fit (their slimmest I believe)

Man just try one of your local discounters. Like Marshalls, Nordstrom Rack, or TJ Maxx. If you go to TJ Maxx, find one that carries runway items. They have the nicer things.

Man just try one of your local discounters. Like Marshalls, Nordstrom Rack, or TJ Maxx. If you go to TJ Maxx, find one that carries runway items. They have the nicer things.

Good advice. One of my favorite Marshall's clearance rack finds was a pair of wool Zegna trousers for $20. Had a retail of $350 or some ridiculous amount around there. Some of the Marshall's/ TJ Maxx carry great brands, just have to figure out which ones in your area get the nice stuff because not all of them do. I've seen brands like Brioni, Zegna, Ralph Lauren Purple Label, Canali, Luciano Barbera, etc etc. quite often.

Last edited:
+1. I agree with everything he said. Typically in settings where you're meeting high profile executives, either people like yourself will want to talk to them for similar reasons as you or other executives may need to talk to them about business. This is the perfect time to say "I would like to continue this conversation, do you mind if we exchange contact info" (as Serg said). In my experience, I send an email taking the time to talk to me, highlight a few portions of our conversation and have been able to turn those conversations into successful mentoring relationships. Just be yourself, be poised and articulate and you'll profit. Good luck, bro.
This is something that I have learned in the recent years and continue to perfect the art of talking to people. You can achieve what you want if you know how to talk to people. It works for nearly everything, not just job related. If you want a hook up at a Footlocker or whatever, just build a rapport with the SAs by talking to them. Networking is essential in life.

Absoultely my dude. In my opinion, if you can talk to people in charming/endearing/knowledgable manner, you can get whatever you want in life. Whether its your dream job or the smoking hot yamb at the corner of the bar. Being able to communicate with others effectively and in a way that makes them feel comfortable is an invaluable tool. If you can dress the part too, that's even better because a lot of people can't even do that and it also heightens people comfort level with you.

He asks for pants better than BR quality...then you recommend him Gap? The brand that's intentionally made to be not as good as BR? Then you move even further down to H&M and finally end up at JC Penney's?

??? :lol:

try club monaco. they have free shipping with no limit right now. they have some cheap pants on sale.

or Brooks brothers Milano Fit (their slimmest I believe)

Eh I don't think there was a reason to be rude about it but okay. I recommended him brands that I wear not brands that are "as good" as BR, considering he mentioned pricing. This is why I said that if you rotate them then I would even go with Gap, H&M, etc.

What's a good slim leg opening for trousers (suit pants for a lack of a better term) 7 Inches?

What's a good slim leg opening for trousers (suit pants for a lack of a better term) 7 Inches?

I think J.Crew Ludlow suit pants fit that bill. Although, you might be better off just finding a pair of pants made of good material, and getting it tailored. I haven't found a pair of pants that fit the way I want OTR (off the rack) so tailoring has been almost essential for fit.

Leg opening would depend on your shoe size.

7 in is way too small though, unless you're like a sz 5.5

I wear UK6/US7 in most shoes and my leg openings for suits are 7.3-7.5ish. I have an old pair of trousers with 7.8 leg opening and looks fine too with dress shoes.

Leg opening would depend on your shoe size.

7 in is way too small though, unless you're like a sz 5.5

I wear UK6/US7 in most shoes and my leg openings for suits are 7.3-7.5ish. I have an old pair of trousers with 7.8 leg opening and looks fine too with dress shoes.

I don't know about that. I wear 9.5-10 and all my pants have around 7-7.5in hems. It looks fine to me.

Depends on your style. I have anything from 7 to 8" depending on fabrics and styles I'm going after. The 7" ones are high water or no break. The wider ones are usually cuffed and heavier fabrics to accompany boots nicely.

It also depends on your build. A size 38 with 7" leg opening may seem aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom