Dressing Better Vol 2.0

8)

Most money ever spent on one item just occurred...Jason (ThickAsThieves) checked out the measurements I sent in to him and everything seemed sound. Just dropped $500 on that navy birdseye.

#feelsbadANDfeelsgoodman :rolleyes :pimp: :frown: :smokin

Last edited:
Most money ever spent on one item just occurred...Jason (ThickAsThieves) checked out the measurements I sent in to him and everything seemed sound. Just dropped $500 on that navy birdseye.

You're a working man now :lol:

I think I might pull the trigger on some APC's next week so they'll be waiting for me when I get home. I went with a 28 in the PS last time (true waist ~30) and they are way to tight now. Has anyone sized down just 1 on Petit Standards? I'm about to get a 29 but I don't want them to be too loose in the long run. Thanks guys

I think you couldn't care less and yeah, because a $200 vs $4 white tee is a great example. :rolleyes Anyway, they're almost definitely not 50x better in material & construction, fit, etc to justify the price but...you can very easily find higher quality Egyptian cotton t-shirts from a company like Sunspel which are clearly much better (I've gotten a couple on sale for less than $30) and have retained that softness over many washes than a 5 for $20 Hanes t-shirt. If you can't see and feel a noticeable difference especially after washes, that's on you. Even J Crew's Jaspe t-shirts that are around $35 and you can usually find on sale for like $20. Some people are just frugal (read: cheap) and might not appreciate the differences in the two or do everything they can to justify their unwillingness or inability to spend more. That's not to say you can't get by with a Hanes t-shirt, I have one on now that I wore to work out but the collar is all ****** up, it's shrunk about a size and the material has clearly changed its feel over time.

That's just one example because you brought up that extreme with t-shirts. You also get what you pay for with dress shirts and I'm not talking $400 shirts but even the difference between one from the previously cited H&M compared to Canali or even Hugo Boss which aren't even that expensive. I could go on with so many more instances (polos which you now brought up, jeans, even socks) but it's really not worth it. Throw on some bright-soled wannabe Lunargrands and kick rocks.

Dat ether :wow: :wow:

Let's make it 3 in a row...

I know the topic of cedar shoe trees came up the other day, here's some from Jos A Bank for $8.50 each. You have to spend $75 for free shipping, I ordered 9. :nerd:

http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Product_11001_10050_101593

Good looks man :pimp: :pimp:

Congrats, that's a solid purchase :pimp: :pimp: . How long will it take? Did you go with any unique features? I may go down this route depending on how it comes out (no fan boy).

I think you couldn't care less and yeah, because a $200 vs $4 white tee is a great example. :rolleyes Anyway, they're almost definitely not 50x better in material & construction, fit, etc to justify the price but...you can very easily find higher quality Egyptian cotton t-shirts from a company like Sunspel which are clearly much better (I've gotten a couple on sale for less than $30) and have retained that softness over many washes than a 5 for $20 Hanes t-shirt. If you can't see and feel a noticeable difference especially after washes, that's on you. Even J Crew's Jaspe t-shirts that are around $35 and you can usually find on sale for like $20. Some people are just frugal (read: cheap) and might not appreciate the differences in the two or do everything they can to justify their unwillingness or inability to spend more. That's not to say you can't get by with a Hanes t-shirt, I have one on now that I wore to work out but the collar is all ****** up, it's shrunk about a size and the material has clearly changed its feel over time.

That's just one example because you brought up that extreme with t-shirts. You also get what you pay for with dress shirts and I'm not talking $400 shirts but even the difference between one from the previously cited H&M compared to Canali or even Hugo Boss which aren't even that expensive. I could go on with so many more instances (polos which you now brought up, jeans, even socks) but it's really not worth it. Throw on some bright-soled wannabe Lunargrands and kick rocks.

Did not read

Storm, I ended up getting:

3" peak lapel
Slanted pockets
Ticket pocket (no overlap)
Double vent
Functional Sleeves

I believe I should have it by begining to mid august. And fan boy all you want. I like crazy ripped off of Wis's birds eye suit :lol: I be mirin' :nerd:

3" peak lapel
Slanted pockets
Double vent
Functional Sleeves

I believe I should have it by begining to mid august. And fan boy all you want. I like crazy ripped off of Wis's birds eye suit :lol: I be mirin' :nerd:

Nice Adrian, :smokin :smokin

Are those the brown & orange Lunargrand loafers? Which rack, how much and do you know if they had more than one size?

I have the oxblood pair that I got a good deal on for something like $110 which was definitely worth it. I could go for another pair if they're around that price.

Nice Roshes BTW. I still have my Calypsos that need to get more use.

You sir are correct, and I believe they were $115. I was tempted to pull the trigger, but there were quite a few scuffs on that pair. However that was the only colorway they had available in my size (8, I got small feet :lol:) and I unfortunately did not check any other sizes. Hope that helps.

3" peak lapel
Slanted pockets
Double vent
Functional Sleeves

:lol: I'm sure the specs aren't too off either. So it begins...then you'll buy Aldens and all hell will break out in terms of what's normal for spending :lol:

Thanks Ced. SS was very tempting but figured after the measurements are perfect after the first time around with TaT, I'll be set for future purchases. Next one I'm getting is the plaid DB suit Wis got but in a 2-button :pimp:

3" peak lapel
Slanted pockets
Double vent
Functional Sleeves

:lol: I'm sure the specs aren't too off either. So it begins...then you'll buy Aldens and all hell will break out in terms of what's normal for spending :lol:
Lol we shall see. Though I do want to get into some shell, Aldens might be a tad too bulbous for me. Who knows though :lol:

Last edited:
^Aldens are beloved for their bulbous lasts which reminisce back to the era in the states where folks drove big cars and such. It's cool to have a mix of different styles but some don't like the look though.

Last edited:
^Aldens are beloved for their bulbous lasts which reminisce back to the era in the states where folks drove big cars and such. It's cool to have a mix of different styles but some don't like the look though.
Oh I understand that and believe at some point the Indy's at the very least shall be copped. But damn are some of those british/italian/spanish/euro styles intriguing. Definitely need to cop something with a chisel last sooner than later. (Will still always love made in america stuff though)
Too many damb things are wanted :lol:

Last edited:
Yeah, man. It's great to learn about the different styles out there and such. Let me know if or when you want some England goodness. I'll put you in touch with my guy from the UK.

Alden prices are like the same as c&j and carmina now. Rather get the later two as a lot of their lasts are more elegant looking

Alden prices are like the same as c&j and carmina now. Rather get the later two as a lot of their lasts are more elegant looking
Same as the bench grade on C&J most likely but not the hand grade. I agree though. This is why I'm pretty much done with Alden. The only pairs I want are some LSH loafers and the legendary #4 which I doubt I can ever get.

Same as the bench grade on C&J most likely but not the hand grade. I agree though. This is why I'm pretty much done with Alden. The only pairs I want are some LSH loafers and the legendary #4 which I doubt I can ever get.

yeah, those #4's are :smokin

Had my first day at the new job today. These pants still need work, I think the length is fine but maybe I should get the leg opening closed a bit more? And the struggle to find a nice fitting shirt OTR continues, this one was from BR

Back
Top Bottom