Dressing Better Vol 2.0

makes an essential list with 20 pairs of jordans one day then criticizes someone for having 5 pairs of shoes whose only similarity is that they are brown. cool.
I know your trolling right now, but at no point has anyone posted a list of 20 jordans that look the same as essentials. That just hasn't been done. 5 pairs of the same looking brown shoes is just a waste. If your gonna have that many dress shoes why not mix it up a bit. Scared to dance with the beige? Can't tango with the mango? Not cool for the blue? Just suggesting mixing it up a bit. 5 brown shoes for 200 each just seems like a waste.

Your somewhat making sense. However I feel a true person who wears mens wear understands that a simple go to black dress shoe and brown dress shoe is all you need. The important thing is the overall look. I just cannot support the idea of 5 brown shoes and 5 black shoes that are shaped similar. It just seems quite redundant.

There are different type of shoes. There are balmorals, bluchers, boots, wingtips, cap toes, loafers, and even within that their are different categories. For example under loafers can fall monkstraps (single and double), tassel, etc. So I would disagree with your statement about "a true person who wears menswear understands that a simple go to black dress shoe and brown dress shoe is all you need." Yes you could go with just 1 of each but when you get into the actual details of the different types of shoes which serve a purpose, this is a great list.

However this is coming from someone with at least 30 brown dress shoes, from suede to leather to spectators.

Last edited:
I'm going to go ahead and quote this before things get out of hand.

Keep the petty personal squabbling OUT of this thread. 

This goes for everyone here. You will not be asked again. You will not be warned again. You will be permanently removed from the discussion.

Everything below this line had better be on topic, or we will start tossing people.

[rule]

There are different type of shoes. There are balmorals, bluchers, boots, wingtips, cap toes, loafers, and even within that their are different categories. For example under loafers can fall monkstraps (single and double), tassel, etc. So I would disagree with your statement about "a true person who wears menswear understands that a simple go to black dress shoe and brown dress shoe is all you need." Yes you could go with just 1 of each but when you get into the actual details of the different types of shoes which serve a purpose, this is a great list.
for the most part they look the same. mutiple brown shoes that look like footwear twins. But I digest. Lets not thread derail again

But I digest.

Really bruh? :lol:

different shades and material = different feels and occasions, brown goes with pretty much anything and works both casually and informally 
Your somewhat making sense. However I feel a true person who wears mens wear understands that a simple go to black dress shoe and brown dress shoe is all you need. The important thing is the overall look. I just cannot support the idea of 5 brown shoes and 5 black shoes that are shaped similar. It just seems quite redundant.

you want the shoes to last as well. you don't wanna wear the same joints every day and kill the soles.

i just stopped being cheap and finally donated all my fugly cheap dress shoes and upgraded to 3 pairs of quality ones.(was thinking of doing a before and after with them fugly square toes) and after the first few wears im like **** this sucks i want some different shades and styles :lol:

tough going from UN-DSing new kicks every casual friday to lookin at the same shoe(s) when all you can change is the socks and trousers. #thestruggle

Last edited:
for the most part they look the same. mutiple brown shoes that look like footwear twins. But I digest. Lets not thread derail again

To most people they do but to quite a few of us they don't. It's the same as explaining to someone who isn't a sneakerhead the difference between the Lifestyle models and basketball models of the LeBron line and Kobe line.

To most people they do but to quite a few of us they don't. It's the same as explaining to someone who isn't a sneakerhead the difference between the Lifestyle models and basketball models of the LeBron line and Kobe line.
Not quite. A lebron 4 looks nothing like a Lebron 11. Not even close. Maybe the Kobes I could understand, but for the most part they stand out more than 5 brown dress shoes. Its just not the same.I'd understand more if you invested in 1 good brown shoe and 1 good black shoe(good dress shoes last for a long time )

Speaking of which, the heck yall going where your dress shoes soles falling apart? Besides a few steps to go out to each or walk around the office, you should just be getting from your car and to your destination. Why are you not taking care of your dress shoes? What activities got you getting your dress shoes scuffed?

Last edited:
Not quite. A lebron 4 looks nothing like a Lebron 11. Not even close. Maybe the Kobes I could understand, but for the most part they stand out more than 5 brown dress shoes

Not comparing Lebron 4 vs Lebron 11, lifestyle model with suede for example and no air in the heel versus the basketball model with flywire tech and air both in heel and toe for example.

different shades and material = different feels and occasions, brown goes with pretty much anything and works both casually and informally 
you want the shoes to last as well. you don't wanna wear the same joints every day and kill the soles.

i just stopped being cheap and finally donated all my fugly cheap dress shoes and upgraded to 3 pairs of quality ones.(was thinking of doing a before and after with them fugly square toes) and after the first few wears im like **** this sucks i want some different shades and styles
laugh.gif

tough going from UN-DSing new kicks every casual friday to lookin at the same shoe(s) when all you can change is the socks and trousers. #thestruggle
this as well, i can't rock my normal leather sole wingtips now with snow/ice and slush everywhere unless i want to destroy my shoes. I'm getting a pair of daltons sometime soon, but I'm also gonna cop a pair of say jcpenny staffords for a similar look in bad weather. 

Again I know he's probably trolling but someone may come in with legit thoughts of this direction (though maybe not cause it's a sneaker site) and I want to give them a legit response when they're like me and reading all 1300 pages of this thread. 

What do you think about brown toe caps for a grad school interview? I know black is generally more formal, do you think that brown shoes with a navy suit will be to casual?

Any suggestions for a pair? Price range in $100-170. Thanks

What do you think about brown toe caps for a grad school interview? I know black is generally more formal, do you think that brown shoes with a navy suit will be to casual?

Any suggestions for a pair? Price range in $100-170. Thanks
Email [email protected]

Ask if they have a pair of Allen Edmonds Clifton in your size and width (likely a D width if normal sized foot)
That is the model shown in my post. The shoe bank alias is their outlet. If in stock, you should be able to land the pair for around $130 marked down from$295. That's how much I picked them up for and the pricing is usually consistent.

As for the interview, I always wear my pair whenever one pops up. Landed my current gig in my Clifton's :pimp:

Dress for yourself, whatever makes you feel good, comfortable confident, an interviewer will not give a damb as long as you are dressed within the formal spectrum, that means chopper suit or slim suit, wingtips or squared toe Aldo's.

Dress for yourself, whatever makes you feel good, comfortable confident, an interviewer will not give a damb as long as you are dressed within the formal spectrum, that means chopper suit or slim suit, wingtips or squared toe Aldo's.

kinda defeats the whole purpose of this thread....................

first impressions are everything

chopper suit in 2014 to your interview?

Last edited:

LOL im saying right. Not to say people gonna judge you that bad, but just don't wear a chopper suit and don't tie your laces like your confused or just off. Just be neat and dressed sharp and you'll do fine fella. You don't have to rock J crew or AE. For the most part, your educational credintials will matter the most.

Last edited:

Obviously I would recommend the dress "better" approach, but God forbid anyone in here recommends a pair of Allen Edmonds, that's hypebeastish and he'll be so over dressed he won't get the job/get into grad school..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom