Dressing Better Vol 2.0

Improving his wardrobe by suggesting what you would buy. 
laugh.gif

I just asked a question, no need to get up in arms
Someone else posted that, so I'm not sure why you keep directing those forced smileys at me. I tried helping him out by telling him that he can buy much better shoes at that price point
All I'm saying is that how do you define "much better"? Maybe those are the best to him. Much better for you because you wouldn't wear them. 
wink.gif

The critique in this thread is cool and I have no problem with it,  in the context of say, if something is ill-fitting. Then you have a basis to correct that because there is a wrong fit and a right fit. But when something as subjective as a pair of shoes gets a comment that they should return them simply because someone thinks they are ugly, that rubs me the wrong way and makes me feel as though people are trying to "dress" others the way they would dress. (insert sarcastic/forced smiley)
I get what you're saying to an extent but what are recommendations other than suggestions for what they perceive to be better options based on their preferences?  Dude posted suits he tried on and got better ideas and was told to return certain ones, some based on size because he can do "better" based on fit.  Could he wear a 38S when he "should" be wearing a 36S?  Sure.  Is it the better option of the two?  Nope.  Were people trying to dress him or help him out to look the best he could?  Their suggestions may have opened his eyes to something different, he might even view it as better or he could've stuck with what most perceived as ill fitting because it suited him.

Same goes with the shoes.  It's not like those are the only option.  If someone feels like he can find a similar pair of shoes that might help his overall look, so be it.  You can argue about how someone says it or whatever but I don't understand the point of posting in here if you're not open to critique.

All of it is subjective.  He's not obligated to return them and find something different.  He might've went right to those or they were the first ones he saw and picked them out or they were the best deal...or he might've tried on a bunch and liked them best.  Like I said, if he's open to it maybe like the suit, he sees what people are saying and agrees he should consider it.  Of course he can "keep wearing what he likes" but if that were the case why ask?
First of all, thank you for reading/considering my view and replying accordingly. I understand its a slippery slope and alot of times suggestions are unconscious recommendations of what a person would wear themselves. As per your comment about suit size, that's why I stated that sizing concerns find a rational basis for criticism and suggestion albeit rational in the context of how we think it should fit - but more rational than suggesting  to buy an alternative just because they think the status quo is ugly. But I see where you're coming from - the more I think about it the more all of this is subjective at the root. 

Last edited:

Improving his wardrobe by suggesting what you would buy. 
laugh.gif

I just asked a question, no need to get up in arms
Someone else posted that, so I'm not sure why you keep directing those forced smileys at me. I tried helping him out by telling him that he can buy much better shoes at that price point
All I'm saying is that how do you define "much better"? Maybe those are the best to him. Much better for you because you wouldn't wear them. 
wink.gif

The critique in this thread is cool and I have no problem with it,  in the context of say, if something is ill-fitting. Then you have a basis to correct that because there is a wrong fit and a right fit. But when something as subjective as a pair of shoes gets a comment that they should return them simply because someone thinks they are ugly, that rubs me the wrong way and makes me feel as though people are trying to "dress" others the way they would dress. (insert sarcastic/forced smiley)
I get what you're saying to an extent but what are recommendations other than suggestions for what they perceive to be better options based on their preferences?  Dude posted suits he tried on and got better ideas and was told to return certain ones, some based on size because he can do "better" based on fit.  Could he wear a 38S when he "should" be wearing a 36S?  Sure.  Is it the better option of the two?  Nope.  Were people trying to dress him or help him out to look the best he could?  Their suggestions may have opened his eyes to something different, he might even view it as better or he could've stuck with what most perceived as ill fitting because it suited him.

Same goes with the shoes.  It's not like those are the only option.  If someone feels like he can find a similar pair of shoes that might help his overall look, so be it.  You can argue about how someone says it or whatever but I don't understand the point of posting in here if you're not open to critique.

All of it is subjective.  He's not obligated to return them and find something different.  He might've went right to those or they were the first ones he saw and picked them out or they were the best deal...or he might've tried on a bunch and liked them best.  Like I said, if he's open to it maybe like the suit, he sees what people are saying and agrees he should consider it.  Of course he can "keep wearing what he likes" but if that were the case why ask?
Overlooked this, but this is very ironic considering this was the argument when one of the most frequent posters went on hiatus? 

Last edited:
It's one of those things where one person's preferences might not be in line with someone else's but they can formulate their own opinion and do whatever they want with the suggestions even if they're blunt and not as detailed/helpful as they could be.

In terms of those shoes, my feeling is that aside from personal taste they're tough because they look like they don't know what they want to be and I don't think they're a good option to wear with a suit.  A captoe is a common choice with a suit.  Tumbled leather though is usually pretty casual.  A slip-on which is very casual (at least that style).  So they're this mix that doesn't really have a place.

It's kinda like hybrid Nikes which usually were a failure...taking a new model basketball sneaker or something and putting an AF1 sole on it.  Maybe not that extreme but you know what I mean. 
laugh.gif
  You're probably not gonna wear them casually but you're even less likely to play ball in them.  Something like that.

Edit:  Regarding that quote, I couldn't care less.  Nothing personal against anyone and if that's how they react, so be it.

Last edited:
:lol: I'm cool with the critiques. It helped me out with the suit. As I stated, I haven't bought a pair in over 10 years, and that wasn't even my money then. I've been copping kicks so long I was clueless in the store. I kinda feel like the shoes I didn't like is probably what some of you guys might wear. I hate those pointy shoes and the square ones that seem to be really long, almost like those Mexican shoes that curl up. :lol:

When I bought the suit at Macy's dude tried to sell me some hard bottoms but I decided to wait. He kept showing me shoes with laces so assumed laces were the way to go. Had my home girl come with me to dsw and she kept telling me to get slip ons and I was shutting her suggestions down. :lol: When she stepped away I asked a male associate. I showed him a pic of The suit and he showed me these. Not to offend anyone but he sounded a bit metro/sweet(i always assume those guys are well dressed and have their finances in order :lol: )and I took his word for it. He initially showed me a dark brown one but I took the black version.

mercanti fiorentini is DSWs in house brand. so that retail price is certainly inflated. the soles are glued on so quality can be a concern. the 3 types of leather on
the shoes make them look confused. if they were all smooth, or textured or patent they would have been a little better. the worst part is the elastic tabs. for $150ish there are definitely much better options that are more versatile and will last much longer. if however one is going for the sunday morning cable television pastor look then those knock it out of park

Thanks for this. I really didn't like the patent leather part. Wanted it to be one type. Funny thing is I showed some of my other friends who wear dressy attire and they liked them. Different strokes for different folks. I'll be sure to post the whole fit here tho, lol

for 140

you can get some really decent stuff at the rack.
laugh.gif
I'm cool with the critiques. It helped me out with the suit. As I stated, I haven't bought a pair in over 10 years, and that wasn't even my money then. I've been copping kicks so long I was clueless in the store. I kinda feel like the shoes I didn't like is probably what some of you guys might wear. I hate those pointy shoes and the square ones that seem to be really long, almost like those Mexican shoes that curl up.
laugh.gif

When I bought the suit at Macy's dude tried to sell me some hard bottoms but I decided to wait. He kept showing me shoes with laces so assumed laces were the way to go. Had my home girl come with me to dsw and she kept telling me to get slip ons and I was shutting her suggestions down.
laugh.gif
When she stepped away I asked a male associate. I showed him a pic of The suit and he showed me these. Not to offend anyone but he sounded a bit metro/sweet(i always assume those guys are well dressed and have their finances in order
laugh.gif
)and I took his word for it. He initially showed me a dark brown one but I took the black version.
mercanti fiorentini is DSWs in house brand. so that retail price is certainly inflated. the soles are glued on so quality can be a concern. the 3 types of leather on
the shoes make them look confused. if they were all smooth, or textured or patent they would have been a little better. the worst part is the elastic tabs. for $150ish there are definitely much better options that are more versatile and will last much longer. if however one is going for the sunday morning cable television pastor look then those knock it out of park
Thanks for this. I really didn't like the patent leather part. Wanted it to be one type. Funny thing is I showed some of my other friends who wear dressy attire and they liked them. Different strokes for different folks. I'll be sure to post the whole fit here tho, lol
i'm in the same boat as you guy, I keep wanting to post my latest gators but I know the sharks will come out heavt. Nobody in this thread messing with these mauris.

^You are likely looking at the wrong pair of pants. I bought the last pair so they were marked as sold out after I placed my order. Product page is now removed from the site. They came to $32 shipped and Mr. Porter does overnight shipping on all their orders so I'll probably have them tomorrow :D

^My suggestion would be to go into your local J Crew and try on a pair of the Ludlow slim suit pants. If those don't give you enough room then try the Ludlow classic suit pants.

You can also go to Banana Republic and try the tailored slim fit suit pants (these are roomier than the Ludlow slim suit pants, but BR's slimmest suit pant). I know that they carry the tailored slim in non-iron also.

How do you guys condition your shoes? A guy at epaulet said to put saphir renovatour on it and after a few minutes, use the horse hair brush

Should I do anything else?

How do you guys condition your shoes? A guy at epaulet said to put saphir renovatour on it and after a few minutes, use the horse hair brush

That sounds like an advice for shell. I do the same for mine. I cleaned and conditioned my calf skin shoes.

I don't think it was for shell only
He had on a pair of jodhpurs and actually applied them right in front of me as they needed it and you can easily tell shell from calf

Can anyone recommend a good sterling money clip? Been looking for that Gucci one with the GG pattern, but I'm not prepared to spend $200 on it.

That sounds like an advice for shell. I do the same for
Can anyone recommend a good sterling money clip? Been looking for that Gucci one with the GG pattern, but I'm not prepared to spend $200 on it.
They may go on sale since a lot of Gucci accessories do. I paid the $200 at Nordstrom for it though :lol:

It gets scratched easily, just FYI.

I don't think it was for shell only
He had on a pair of jodhpurs and actually applied them right in front of me as they needed it and you can easily tell shell from calf
Very interesting. I think as long as you prevent the calf from drying out, you'll be ok. I personally don't use wax or paste on anything since I like a more matte finish as oppose to a glass like shine.

Back
Top Bottom