Dressing better

Looking to get my first real suit for some upcoming interviews. I've been looking at the men's wearhouse bogo deals...what are some good quality brands? I'm seeing a lot of Eark Ecko and Sean John suits and couldn't imagine those being any good...leaning towards Calvin Klein or Ralph Lauren but I'm iffy on those two since they're only ~200

Originally Posted by eeBS7eez

QUESTION

Has anyone here tried uniqlo oxfords?

i'm looking to give them a shot but i'm curious about the fit. i'm 5'11, 210lbs. not fat, but certainly not small. i always have trouble with shirts being long enough without getting baggy. any help would be great

The fit is not bad. I'm 6'2, 185 and wear a large. Its not super slim but again, its not at all blousey. I actually wish it were a little more slim and a little shorter in length. Mediums would be too small after a wash and dry so I stick with large.

Originally Posted by AyMan23

Thom Browne blazer

dsc03801.jpg

From WHY YOU MAD?!
pimp.gif
feeling the contrast stitching & those gold buttons gives it another pop

Originally Posted by bjamez20

Looking to get my first real suit for some upcoming interviews. I've been looking at the men's wearhouse bogo deals...what are some good quality brands? I'm seeing a lot of Eark Ecko and Sean John suits and couldn't imagine those being any good...leaning towards Calvin Klein or Ralph Lauren but I'm iffy on those two since they're only ~200

Yea those Calvin Klein and Ralph Lauren you see at Macy's arent really good in regards to quality. If you want some nice quality suits, your looking to spend over $1K...but im pretty sure your not looking to spend that much. But if you have outlets in your town, check out some shops there (Neiman Marcus, Off 5th) or Nordstrom Rack. You can find some nice deals for around $500. 

For starters you can look at Brooks Brothers, Armani, Hugo Boss or maybe even Theory?

Originally Posted by bjamez20

I think Banana Republic is having a 40% sale on suits. I bought mine last week for around $240.

Originally Posted by KenJi714

I don't see how any average income making person can pay $135 for a tie
indifferent.gif
I consider myself fiscally prudent, so spending that much on a tie is ridiculous when you can get great ties at a fraction of the cost.  I usually don't pick up a tie unless it is really marked down.

I see the OG price tag of $60-80 and just
indifferent.gif

Yea those Calvin Klein and Ralph Lauren you see at Macy's arent really good in regards to quality. If you want some nice quality suits, your looking to spend over $1K...but im pretty sure your not looking to spend that much. But if you have outlets in your town, check out some shops there (Neiman Marcus, Off 5th) or Nordstrom Rack. You can find some nice deals for around $500. 

For starters you can look at Brooks Brothers, Armani, Hugo Boss or maybe even Theory?

laugh.gif
, the 1k suits are for those that are already well established.  Plus, you can't wear a price tag on a suit.  On top of that, you can find solid and good quality suits for less than $500.

Start by copying off of manikins until you get the idea of what goes with what and what's appropriate to wear. Then you can start to put your own twist to it

Originally Posted by Cobra Kai

Originally Posted by Smedroc

Originally Posted by Cobra Kai

QUESTION!

I bought a slim suit, but i want the jacket and pants to fit like the pics above. If i get it tailored, what do i ask for?

you cant even see the slacks so how you know that??
laugh.gif

Do you want the suit to be more fitted??
I was assuming the pants are fitted like the jacket.

a more accurate representation would be that GQ picture listed in the grey suit above this post.
Just go in and tell the tailor you want it more fitted.

They'll have you put it on and you can show them where you want the alterations.

Originally Posted by niidawg3

Originally Posted by eiddyfouw

@Niidawg and other suit aficionado's 
I just got back from sending some items to a new tailor (praying things come out the way we discussed)...basically...I'm looking to using him to get some new tailored suits...

I would like to know what is the best fabric I can buy for this style of suit...

I know it says "cotton-silk"in the description, but I'm just confirming weather that's the best fabric for this style of cut.

I need:

-one gray for the summer, I would like the fabric to be "breathable" to combat heat, yet very high quality.

-one navy blue with a matching waist coat, this would be a more spring/fall suit. 
for very high breathable fabric for summer, i'd recommend a wool/mohair mix. It breathes pretty well. Also fresco is another option. Look into Holland & Sherry, Minnis or Harrisons - they are three mills out of the UK that produce phenomenal fabrics. for spring fall, i'd recommend going with something a touch heavier (depending on your location). definitely not tweed, but a 14 oz wool would be heavy enough to beat the chilly days of spring/fall. 

2jdgodv.gif

Originally Posted by Jordan Novice

But what about when they look horrible 
sick.gif

And the mannequins cheat by using pins 
grin.gif
werd. all mannequins have better fitted clothes due to the pinning of extra material in the back.

^
It's not like people will buy the same clothes as the mannequins and use pins as well.  You copy the aesthetics, not the method.

It's common sense, but the internet and nt doesn't surprise me anymore.  
laugh.gif

The humidity in ny has been horrible this week.  I wore a sportshirt /  casual shirt a few times this week and was suffering.

I asked this question in the Denim thread also...But does anyone know a good way to fade denim? Preferably a jacket...I just purchased a denim levi jacket online that was just a tad darker than what I expected...Any help would be appreciated...thanks in advance you guys...

Originally Posted by nikeairon

I asked this question in the Denim thread also...But does anyone know a good way to fade denim? Preferably a jacket...I just purchased a denim levi jacket online that was just a tad darker than what I expected...Any help would be appreciated...thanks in advance you guys...

Wash it?

Originally Posted by nikeairon

Generaiya would just simply wear the jacket a lot . . .
Generaiya used to bike a lot while living in Japan, and would wear his raw denim while biking. The whiskers and fading came out really nicely. 

Originally Posted by shogun

^
It's not like people will buy the same clothes as the mannequins and use pins as well.  You copy the aesthetics, not the method.

It's common sense, but the internet and nt doesn't surprise me anymore.  
laugh.gif

The humidity in ny has been horrible this week.  I wore a sportshirt /  casual shirt a few times this week and was suffering.

For real. What the hell am I supposed to wear? I need to dress business casual for work...but even a linen sports shirt makes me feel like death.

By the time i'm at the train station from my house...i'd be sweating bullets.

Back
Top Bottom