Dressing better

can anyone recommend a nice wallet that has a chain to attach to ur pants? I know LV has a nice once but I'm not looking to spend +500.

Originally Posted by retroflashbacks

Originally Posted by shogun

^
It's not like people will buy the same clothes as the mannequins and use pins as well.  You copy the aesthetics, not the method.

It's common sense, but the internet and nt doesn't surprise me anymore.  
laugh.gif

The humidity in ny has been horrible this week.  I wore a sportshirt /  casual shirt a few times this week and was suffering.

For real. What the hell am I supposed to wear? I need to dress business casual for work...but even a linen sports shirt makes me feel like death.

By the time i'm at the train station from my house...i'd be sweating bullets.
This. Same thing happened to me on Wednesday so the next two days I just wore a tee with my slacks while walking, with my shirt on a hanger, to the train station, then wiped myself down in the bathroom and threw the hanger away
laugh.gif
. May be OD but the sun isn't even out when I'm walking and I felt much better sitting on the train than I did on Wednesday

I was fortunate to pick up a pair of AE "Lombards" for half price during the Nordstrom Half year sale. Also copped two pairs of Jack Purcells for casual attire. Navy and white ones are on the way!

Originally Posted by Storm2006

Originally Posted by retroflashbacks

Originally Posted by shogun
This. Same thing happened to me on Wednesday so the next two days I just wore a tee with my slacks while walking, with my shirt on a hanger, to the train station, then wiped myself down in the bathroom and threw the hanger away
laugh.gif
. May be OD but the sun isn't even out when I'm walking and I felt much better sitting on the train than I did on Wednesday

Don't know what your work set up is like but why not stash a few clean and folded shirts in your desk drawer Don Draper style? Wear whatever on your way in and just throw one on when you get there.

I'm having a lot of trouble finding jeans that fit me the way I want them to. They are either too skinny or too wide. Does anyone have any suggestions on some jeans that are somewhere between a straight leg and a skinny jean? Or should I try and taper some straight legs?

^You try Express Rocco jeans? They're slim fit but not too tight, some are bootleg, some are straight leg

Questions:

1. Is it proper NOT to wear an undershirt under a button up. What are the rules on this?
2. Is normal to wear a button down shirt with jeans? (no tie)
3. What are the rules on tucking in? When should you tuck in and when should you not.

Please let me know. Thanks

Originally Posted by Initial Lotus

Questions:

1. Is it proper NOT to wear an undershirt under a button up. What are the rules on this?
3. What are the rules on tucking in? When should you tuck in and when should you not.

Correct me if I am wrong NT, but to the best of my knowledge...
1. Undershirts are all about comfort. If you don't need or want to wear one, you really don't have to. I wear the Uniqlo cool v-neck undershirts just because I am not used to the NY humidity and tend to sweat more than others. I wouldn't wear undershirts if I didn't sweat. On the plus side, shirts don't need to be cleaned as often.

2. /3.  Button downs can be worn with jeans, but it kind of depends on the shirt. A lot of work shirts wouldn't look right with jeans. If it the shirt is very long (tails?) it looks really weird to untuck it. If you're tucking in, it is also better to have slimmer fitting jeans. I usually tuck-in with pants, but sometimes it looks weird for me with shorts. Ease into it. Figure out your own style. 

hope this is right/helpful

Can someone give me the name of and where I can get those no-show socks you can wear with boat shoes? I think it was mentioned in here somehwere

Originally Posted by McStabb05

Can someone give me the name of and where I can get those no-show socks you can wear with boat shoes? I think it was mentioned in here somehwere
Most people get them from Journeys.  I bought a pack of black and white ones.  After the initial wash they fit great and don't slip off my feet anymore.

Originally Posted by LIQI2345

^You try Express Rocco jeans? They're slim fit but not too tight, some are bootleg, some are straight leg
thanks a lot.  I'll give that a try.

Originally Posted by Jordan Novice

Check your local thrift store. Got mine for $10 or so I think.
sd07jo.jpg
Dude said he wanted a fitted leather, that thing is huge.  No offense but this thread is a trainwreck.  You dudes need to browse other sites and get some ideas, to much garbage advice being given in here. 

Originally Posted by Murray497

Questions:

Correct me if I am wrong NT, but to the best of my knowledge...
1. Undershirts are all about comfort. If you don't need or want to wear one, you really don't have to. I wear the Uniqlo cool v-neck undershirts just because I am not used to the NY humidity and tend to sweat more than others. I wouldn't wear undershirts if I didn't sweat. On the plus side, shirts don't need to be cleaned as often.

2. /3.  Button downs can be worn with jeans, but it kind of depends on the shirt. A lot of work shirts wouldn't look right with jeans. If it the shirt is very long (tails?) it looks really weird to untuck it. If you're tucking in, it is also better to have slimmer fitting jeans. I usually tuck-in with pants, but sometimes it looks weird for me with shorts. Ease into it. Figure out your own style. 

hope this is right/helpful
If you wear an undershirt, what color should it be? I've heard people advise to stray away from white.What are you thoughts. 
NT please chime in. 

Thanks. 

Questions:

I'll try my best..

1) If you can withstand the extra layer..go for it. Personally, there is no way in hell am i gonna wear an undershirt in the NY summer.
As far as colors go, I'd just go with whatever color that can't be seen underneath a shirt. I was always under the impression that a white v neck underneath a shirt is the way to go.

2) Depends on the button down. There are shirts that are made to be untucked (sports shirt?). IMO, you can wear a shirt untucked if it ends right below your belt.

3) When in doubt; just tuck it in.

Questions:

It's definitely proper to not wear an undershirt. As far as I'm concerned, crewneck shirts should NEVER be worn under another shirt. V-necks aren't necessary at all, but you can wear them either to absorb sweat, or just for the look. I have v-necks in different colors that I wear under my casual button downs sometimes.
As to the other two questions; as others have pointed out, "button down" is a broad category and the answers vary depending on what sort of button down you're talking about. 
If it's a dress shirt that is meant to be worn with ties, it shouldn't be worn with jeans, and it shouldn't be worn untucked.

If it's a casual shirt, you can wear it tucked/untucked, and you can wear it with jeans. 

Some signs that a button down is a dress shirt: it has collar stays, it has a tag on the front bottom, it has a long and semi-circular tail that comes down over your butt.

See the difference here: the left is a dress shirt, the right is a casual shirt. 

tuck.png

Quick question:

Looking for a pair of pants on J.Crew. The Stanton pants have a classic fit and slim fit, but they both look very similar. Not really looking for some baggy pants, so does anyone have either or? How do they fit? Etc...

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

Quick question:

Looking for a pair of pants on J.Crew. The Stanton pants have a classic fit and slim fit, but they both look very similar. Not really looking for some baggy pants, so does anyone have either or? How do they fit? Etc...

Classic fit is like a slim straight fit slimmer than a regular fit. Slim fit/Urban slim is like a skinny in a way as it is slimmer than the classic and slimmer in the leg/thigh. Try the Stanton pants in the store and urban slim chinos for size. Sidenote free shipping when you buy any crewcut item. you can just return the crewcut item to get your money back at the jcrew store

Originally Posted by airblaster503

Dude said he wanted a fitted leather, that thing is huge.  No offense but this thread is a trainwreck.  You dudes need to browse other sites and get some ideas, to much garbage advice being given in here. 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

Questions:

It's definitely proper to not wear an undershirt. As far as I'm concerned, crewneck shirts should NEVER be worn under another shirt. V-necks aren't necessary at all, but you can wear them either to absorb sweat, or just for the look. I have v-necks in different colors that I wear under my casual button downs sometimes.
As to the other two questions; as others have pointed out, "button down" is a broad category and the answers vary depending on what sort of button down you're talking about. 
If it's a dress shirt that is meant to be worn with ties, it shouldn't be worn with jeans, and it shouldn't be worn untucked.

If it's a casual shirt, you can wear it tucked/untucked, and you can wear it with jeans. 

Some signs that a button down is a dress shirt: it has collar stays, it has a tag on the front bottom, it has a long and semi-circular tail that comes down over your butt.

See the difference here: the left is a dress shirt, the right is a casual shirt. 

tuck.png
I took a shirt I really liked to the tailor, and he cut the shirt from the example on the left to the one on the right. Cost only $4

anyone know a place that has good fitting jeans/ khakis.

the fit i want is a straight leg with little skinny but not to skinny..

staight leg slim taper im guessing, looking for khakis and jeans like this

Originally Posted by sb23

anyone know a place that has good fitting jeans/ khakis.

the fit i want is a straight leg with little skinny but not to skinny..

staight leg slim taper im guessing, looking for khakis and jeans like this
I actually like Banana republics slim jean.  You can always have them tapper the leg too

Back
Top Bottom