Dressing better

Originally Posted by PghShoeCollector

Originally Posted by rsdplaya

Originally Posted by ShadyKay NT

What's the 411 on BOSS Black Trim Wool suits?

Is BOSS usually a good brand for suits in terms of quality and fit?
I can't speak to the suits and such, but I know everybody on SF complains about how overpriced their stuff is for the quality you receive.  I have one dress shirt from Boss, which I picked up on clearance, yea...the quality isn't really that great...actually a step below Ralph Lauren imo...but as I said, I don't know how that translates into suits.  I have read that their suits fit a little odd though.

I'm learning to be a bit wary of complaints on clothes when it comes to SF. They have an abundance of knowledge but those guys are also comparing them to $1000-$1500 suits when Boss can normally be had for much much less than that. I understand saying that you overpay for Boss compared to the quality you get but for 450 > I think Boss suits can be a good OTR choice.

I do love the fit of their shirts though...but like you said, the quality could be a bit better for a $90 dress shirt. Can someone recommend a dress shirt that fits comparably to the Boss shirts?
I agree 100% about SF...some guys are realistic and understand that not everybody can afford $200 dress shirts, but like you said, a lot of em are kinda pushing it. 

To me, at the end of the day, it's all about fit, and if you can achieve great fit from a $40 dress shirt, that's perfectly fine!

I have a Slim Fit Boss dress shirt, and I like it a lot too.  The Regular Fit didn't work for me though.

Originally Posted by KleanKicks

Originally Posted by LilJRDN

Originally Posted by NikeAirForce1

GQ for $4 a year

http://www.discountmags.com/product/7798/gq

Discount Code: 4728

1 Year = $4
2 Years = $8
3 Years = $12
Thanks bro!
pimp.gif
Transaction's not going through for me when I try to process for the one year. Anyone else having trouble with this?
edit: To clarify, the code works fine, it's just the processing of payment page that I'm stuck on.

Weird. I just received my confirmation e-mail and everything appears to be in order. Have you tried paying with paypal? I, myself, paid with paypal and had no problems at all. Hope it works out for you, it's a pretty sweet deal.

Originally Posted by PghShoeCollector

I can't speak to the suits and such, but I know everybody on SF complains about how overpriced their stuff is for the quality you receive.  I have one dress shirt from Boss, which I picked up on clearance, yea...the quality isn't really that great...actually a step below Ralph Lauren imo...but as I said, I don't know how that translates into suits.  I have read that their suits fit a little odd though.

I'm learning to be a bit wary of complaints on clothes when it comes to SF. They have an abundance of knowledge but those guys are also comparing them to $1000-$1500 suits when Boss can normally be had for much much less than that. I understand saying that you overpay for Boss compared to the quality you get but for 450 > I think Boss suits can be a good OTR choice.

I do love the fit of their shirts though...but like you said, the quality could be a bit better for a $90 dress shirt. Can someone recommend a dress shirt that fits comparably to the Boss shirts?
I agree 100% about SF...some guys are realistic and understand that not everybody can afford $200 dress shirts, but like you said, a lot of em are kinda pushing it. 

To me, at the end of the day, it's all about fit, and if you can achieve great fit from a $40 dress shirt, that's perfectly fine!

I have a Slim Fit Boss dress shirt, and I like it a lot too.  The Regular Fit didn't work for me though.
SF is just a giant pissing contest to see who can get the nicest things while paying the least amount of money for them. In the real world, people don't have time to scour the Internet for obscure Italian brands nobody cares about. SF allows them to congregate in their own little warped sense of reality. Companies price things to MAKE money. That's why things are expensive and overpriced, and the majority of people don't care. And as the quality increases, so does the price. That's how it works. Everything is overpriced to them, but it's because they don't believe in paying retail. I love it when someone asks about Hugo Boss, and the response is "you could get a Brioni suit at fire sale from Site X for $1,000 and it's much better." While true, at that point you're severely limiting your options to off-season patterns that nobody wants. Good luck finding a basic $3,000 charcoal grey suit for 70% off.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

SF is just a giant pissing contest to see who can get the nicest things while paying the least amount of money for them. In the real world, people don't have time to scour the Internet for obscure Italian brands nobody cares about. SF allows them to congregate in their own little warped sense of reality. Companies price things to MAKE money. That's why things are expensive and overpriced, and the majority of people don't care. And as the quality increases, so does the price. That's how it works. Everything is overpriced to them, but it's because they don't believe in paying retail. I love it when someone asks about Hugo Boss, and the response is "you could get a Brioni suit at fire sale from Site X for $1,000 and it's much better." While true, at that point you're severely limiting your options to off-season patterns that nobody wants. Good luck finding a basic $3,000 charcoal grey suit for 70% off.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
Yes, this is exactly what you hear
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

roll.gif
Honestly, you could probably throw a Boss suit on, and take a pic asking what people thought of it, and they would knock it.  Just tell people it's a Zegna suit instead, and they'd praise
laugh.gif

But I still like the site overall, I do a lot of thrifting, so the Thrift Store thread is nice.

Speaking of thrifting and Brioni, I did pick up 2 Brioni suits about 2 months ago from a thrift store for $8 and $10 respectively
pimp.gif
  They were terribly big on me, but I flipped em on eBay for like 1000% Profit
pimp.gif

Can anyone shed any light as to how Black Fleece sizing compares to ESF sizing?  IE if I wear a Small in ESF, would I get a BB0 or BB1?  There seems to be some huge variations I've found in sizing but it could just be production issues with certain prints vs solid shirting.

So I sign on slickdeals, see the J. Crew deal and it's credited to an account named NT.. I can only assume Ksteezy is behind this, bro.

Originally Posted by ShadyKay NT

J.Crew having a 40% off and free shipping on sale items.

Online only.

Just bought this.  Good looking out.  Should show some decent patina after a year.
erez

Check Amazon for Desert Boots and not the Bushacres which aren't nearly as comfortable IMO. I actually got my Beeswax pair from Banana Republic after a 40% off and my Grey pair for about $70 from Amazon.

Need some assistance from the more fashion friendly members here.

I have an outdoor summer wedding that I have to attend next week and I only have a black suit or a dark purple velvet dinner coat. I'm not going to consider either option because I feel that I will look/feel terribly out of place with both.

I've been wanting to get a seersucker suit for a couple years now and thought this was a good excuse for me to go get one. I just got back from my local Brooks Brothers to see what they had, and unfortunately they were all out. All they had left were some seersucker blazers.

In the event I can find a seersucker suit, how do I wear it? (I know... stupid question). Should I just go with a normal white dress shirt? linen white shirt? For a summer outdoor wedding, would it be considered too casual if I went with no tie? Would it look too dumb/gimmicky if I got a red or black colonel sanders type of tie? (dont know what they are called). what about for shoes? My only dress shoes are black, or dark brown oxfords and loafers. is that going to clash too much with the light seersucker color? I was considering wearing it with a pair of blue Sperry Topsider boat shoes, would that look too strange?

If I cant find a seersucker suit and just go with a sportscoat, how would I wear that? White khaki's? Darker tan colored khaki's? White slacks? Do they even make white slacks?

If anyone is in the socal LA area, can they direct me to a shop or place where I might be able to find a decent well priced seersucker suit? I'm not trying to pay too much for it (as I will probably not get a ton of wear out of it) but I dont want to get something that looks really cheap.

Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

Need some assistance from the more fashion friendly members here.

I have an outdoor summer wedding that I have to attend next week and I only have a black suit or a dark purple velvet dinner coat. I'm not going to consider either option because I feel that I will look/feel terribly out of place with both.

I've been wanting to get a seersucker suit for a couple years now and thought this was a good excuse for me to go get one. I just got back from my local Brooks Brothers to see what they had, and unfortunately they were all out. All they had left were some seersucker blazers.

In the event I can find a seersucker suit, how do I wear it? (I know... stupid question). Should I just go with a normal white dress shirt? linen white shirt? For a summer outdoor wedding, would it be considered too casual if I went with no tie? Would it look too dumb/gimmicky if I got a red or black colonel sanders type of tie? (dont know what they are called). what about for shoes? My only dress shoes are black, or dark brown oxfords and loafers. is that going to clash too much with the light seersucker color? I was considering wearing it with a pair of blue Sperry Topsider boat shoes, would that look too strange?

If I cant find a seersucker suit and just go with a sportscoat, how would I wear that? White khaki's? Darker tan colored khaki's? White slacks? Do they even make white slacks?

If anyone is in the socal LA area, can they direct me to a shop or place where I might be able to find a decent well priced seersucker suit? I'm not trying to pay too much for it (as I will probably not get a ton of wear out of it) but I dont want to get something that looks really cheap.

Thanks in advance.
If you want very specific advice on what to match with seersucker, you might be better off on StyleForum or just searching through blogposts like this
If I were you I'd opt for a cotton khaki suit instead, it's MUCH more versatile and is perfect for summer weddings. Unless you live in the South, seersucker is basically appropriate for only a handful of occasions (summer weddings being one, arguably), and even then sometimes looks more like a costume than anything. Especially if your only other suit is a black suit, buying a seersucker suit seems ill-advised, but again this is somewhat unsolicited opinion. Some would probably advise you to buy a lighter navy or light grey suit instead of either cotton or seersucker. You might be a bit hotter at the wedding, but they're perfectly acceptable, can be dressed down, and will be far more versatile going forward than a cotton or especially a seersucker suit. 

As for your questions about casualness (no-tie and/or sportcoat) this depends entirely on the wedding itself. If it's a beach wedding, it's more likely to be very casual. But just because it is outdoor and during summer doesn't mean a sportcoat or no tie would be appropriate. Your best bet is probably to just ask the bride or groom if that would be practical, or see if anything is mentioned in the invitation. My friend went to an outdoors wedding recently where all the groomsmen were Cuban style dress shirts untucked over Khakis. Another friend just got married outdoors and all the groomsmen were wearing tuxedos. So it really depends on the specific wedding in question. 

^ much appreciated.

admittedly, i do kinda like seersucker cause of the "costume" nature of it. I know I have somewhat poor taste, but I kinda like costumey type of stuff. I realize that a seersucker suit is not very versatile at all, but I'm ok with that. Since I am suit shopping, I will probably look to pick up a couple more "normal" pieces like a charcoal and light grey suit.

^ much appreciated.

admittedly, i do kinda like seersucker cause of the "costume" nature of it. I know I have somewhat poor taste, but I kinda like costumey type of stuff. I realize that a seersucker suit is not very versatile at all, but I'm ok with that. Since I am suit shopping, I will probably look to pick up a couple more "normal" pieces like a charcoal and light grey suit.
Respect.
pimp.gif
I think seersucker can still look good if it fits perfectly. I go to UVa and see seersucker all the time and it's usually of the super baggy variety, I think because of its casual nature. If you can get a suit that looks like the one dude in that blog post is wearing, it'd look fly as %%!+. I'd go as far as to say that the fit makes or breaks a seersucker suit more so than any other, because of the type of fabric.

^ much appreciated.

matt lauer (sp) on the today show this morning did alright with his seersuckr/white shirt/maron tie?  maybe dvr that..i kinda laughed a bit, but my lady thought it was a good look and upon further, it seemed pretty fitting on him.  g;luck with it!

Back
Top Bottom