Dressing better

I'd still tuck in even if it is frowned upon or too formal.
Maybe you can even start a new trend in your workplace about tucking in shirts.

Originally Posted by Vancity74

I can fit into slim pants thanks to not having any sort of @%+, but it looks kinda silly because I'm top heavy and I have a pretty big chest.

V-necks and cardigans sound good. Not really a fan of button-ups unless they're tucked in, and this isn't a tucked in sort of place so...

edit: appreciate the help guys. If you see any nice business casual looks that catch your eye online, please post them up! Thanks again!
Van - I think something like this may fit your bill.

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=13846&vid=1&pid=671276&scid=671276012

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=13846&vid=1&pid=690497&scid=690497042

If you want to wear it with a t shirt under, it's going to look a lot more casual.

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=13846&vid=1&pid=680746&scid=680746042

Originally Posted by wj4

RFX-since you mentioned sport shirts...how would you define it as oppose to a dress shirt. I'm asking because I'm having a hard time differentiating myself.

I read this article and the reason behind it is horrible. (About how sport shirt should fit more loosely) Because, IMO, fit is everything.

http://mensfashion.about.com/od/wardrobebasics/a/DressSportShirt.htm

While true, it is a changing tradition. Sport shirts are meant to be more loose and casual for a more relaxed look but the same with how suits are trading inthe fuller look for a more slim and modern cut, the shirts fit are changing as well. Even sport shirts are crossing that line of being formal or moreacceptible in less than casual occassions.

To me, it is in the look and pattern first. I would consider plaid as dress shirt. More colorful striped patterns that are less subdued like Paul Smiths andEtro shirts are more of a sport shirt than dress shirt, again someone with balls could wear it with a suit and pull it off but it isn't exactlytraditional. For stripes shirts, I think the solid background color has to be lighted and than the stripes instead of vice versa. Like white shirt with blackor blue stripe instead of a black shirt with white stripes.

It is also in how it looks, if you browse around Polo.com and their shirts, you can kind of see how the collars differ, the shape and such and you can justtell one is more formal than the other. Like some of Rugby's shirts has a rounded collar, pretty hard for me to consider that a dress shirt. Another thingI look at is the material, dress shirts has to be pretty thin yet smooth. Most sport shirts, are heavy like oxfords, not that sport shirt can't be thin,they are just more usual with heavier cloths. Another example are those lumber shirts, they are heavy and thick, i'd say those are sport shirts. Anotherpart of the material I look for is how it feels (and look as well). I can't quite put it into words or classification but some sport shirts are meant to bewrinkled or worn look while dress shirts are meant to be crisp and ironed all the time.

Button downs, or collars with buttons, are difficult to distinguish as they are part of the class that has crossed the line into a more dressy situation. It ismore acceptible now to have those buttons in dress shirts.

Edit: Added= Length could be considered as well, like Band of Outsiders. Their shirts are really short and I honestly doesn't think it is meant to betucked in so I say it is a sport shirt than a dress shirt.

Well, that is all I could think of right now and this is just my opinions and should be taken with a grain of salt. No need to set this as a rule of somesorts, just my opinions and anyone are free to disagree. Thats my disclaimer.
laugh.gif
I'll add more if I think of any.

Originally Posted by Vancity74

edit: appreciate the help guys. If you see any nice business casual looks that catch your eye online, please post them up! Thanks again!

Check out Niidawgs posts, take out the tie and you got the look you are looking for.
Also, by nightlife do you mean working at night? Because if it is, a really dark jeans with dress shirts (or sport shirts) with some nice brown wingtips wouldlook great with a sport coat or sweater.

Also, stolen from SF's WAYWT but this look is just great. I'd just fix the tie and collar and it is a great look.
Take out the tie and loosen up the top button of the shirt and you got a great look Van.
3972449895_616225835a_o.jpg

I've been looking through fit pictures recently and noticed guys wearing predominantly black outfits (blazer, pants) but with brown shoes. Is the rule onlynever to wear a brown shoe with a black belt? Could you throw on a brown belt? or do most people just ditch a belt entirely?

wow ive noticed ive got more compliments from broads for dressing like this as opposed to my sneakerhead days. i had a white or mexican girl tell me i lookedgood to her in the middle of a lecture today. im assuming it was mainly because of how i was dressed. i was wearing a striped polo dress shirt,khakis, desertboots,and polo dress socks.

Originally Posted by kiid23

Originally Posted by manamazing55

I got these about a month ago........I want to wear them some with jeans, but im hella scared the jeans are going to bleed or discolor them...thoughts?

I dunno though i think that color is out of season

im not a girl, I wear different colors all year.

vancity - skip the blazer , go in a few times and see whateverybody else is wearing -

heres my very educated guess
-alot of ed hardy/audiger
-gaudy jeans with prints, rhinestones etc
-loafers
-oversized blazers with said jeans (if its a special event these will prob have some type of dragon or something on the back)
-then theres always the one or two hipsters with the super skinnys, bright shirts scarves bulky sneakers crazy hair do etc
-oh and then the fake desginer guy

just do you basically - nice fitting jeans, cardis, vnecks, etc

Originally Posted by Kingtre

vancity - skip the blazer , go in a few times and see whateverybody else is wearing -

-loafers
-oversized blazers with said jeans (if its a special event these will prob have some type of dragon or something on the back)
-then theres always the one or two hipsters with the super skinnys, bright shirts scarves bulky sneakers crazy hair do etc

laugh.gif
Van is going to bully his way into getting the gig.

-loafers

i dunno why this has me laughing but yea

Guys, I work in a corporate environment and I need a new pair of dress shoes. I would wear my Olympic 7s but they're not DS. Any suggestions?

Originally Posted by DenisHot

Guys, I work in a corporate environment and I need a new pair of dress shoes. I would wear my Olympic 7s but they're not DS. Any suggestions?

As long as you rock it with a Falcons Vick jersey, you good on those Oly 7's
pimp.gif

I kid. I can't picture a corporate environment where you'd even consider wearing J's...
To answer your question, it depends on how you're going to dress; suit/tie kinda thing or button down/polo/rugby shirts with slacks?

M-T at my firm we have business casual - aka dress pants + button up, no jacket or tie. Therefore I wear Zegna loafers 3/4s of the time. The pair I got wasfrom Saks a year or two ago on clearence for about $100-120, well worth it IMO.

For a brown shoe, I have a pair of Johnston & Murphy's which are surprisingly comfortable. They're a loafer style, as well.

We had our conference recently, in which I wore a suit and captoes. I save lace ups generally for dressier events.

Friday's we have a relaxed dress code, I can wear gym shoes, which I do every once and while (J's included..). Otherwise I wear a pair of drivers withnice jeans and a polo, or the J&M loafers can be rocked w/ jeans, too.

Suits once in a while, most of the time slacks and a button up plus or minus a tie

Gonna look for some nice loafers today

I wanted one of these
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by KVN

Love the RW inspired line:

Looks nice from that angle, any fits pics in side profile? it might help others decide since a lot are looking at this boots as an option.

^ I don't know if I'm the only one, but I don't like the button down collar at all. I try and stay away from them.

Originally Posted by YuraS718

^ I don't know if I'm the only one, but I don't like the button down collar at all. I try and stay away from them.
I have 2 in my rotation out of 15 dress/sport shirts and they add a nice variety to it IMO. I especially like wearing them with a tie and thebuttons buttoned.

Originally Posted by RFX45

Lucky SOB, yes I'm jealous.
Can we get a pic of the suit and jacket you got?
heres some quick flicks with the Iphone
I absolutely love this jacket, wit this weather in NY it was a blessing today

2v7vst3.jpg

dont mind my beautiful room lol, a tornado recently touched down in there

15cj878.jpg

i absolutly love the suit, I can easily rock them as seperates .... but im not gonna wear the suit til I get it tailored
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom